Author Topic: Seek Reveal and Reveal Pro supplemental lens adapters ?  (Read 3966 times)

Offline FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Seek Reveal and Reveal Pro supplemental lens adapters ?
« on: March 19, 2020, 11:54:47 am »
Dear fellow Seek Reveal owners,

Does anyone have any 3D printable adapters that permit the attachment of supplemental lenses to the Seek Reveal or Reveal Pro please ? I have seen some on YouTube but not a link to the 3D files or where such may be purchased. It is a complex shape at the front of the Reveal and likely beyond my current 3D CAD skills to produce a decent design myself.

I intend to add a close-up lens, and possibly a telephoto lens option to increase the Reveals versatility.

Any help is much appreciated :)

Fraser
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 10:31:33 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Super Contributor
Re: Seek Reveal and Reveal Pro supplemental lens adapters ?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 11:47:13 pm »
Found this Seek Reveal adapter and lens on eBay from a chap in Germany.

Sadly I need only the adapter and not the lens part so it’s price tag excludes it from my options :(

Nice design though.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 11:48:45 pm by Fraser »

Offline IwuzBornanerd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 05:42:15 am »
I thought @Uho had made a telephoto for the reveal & finally resorted to "googling" it & found reference to it on this Seek hardware modifications thread and a "Seek 2x tele doable?" thread.  Referenced links are:

https://youtu.be/rt4EHTFfKVw

and

http://uvirimaging.com/2018/03/05/thermal-camera-diy-macro-and-telephoto-converters/

You probably saw these but weren't interested in Seeks at the time.   ;)
I am not opposed to exercise, unless it is an exercise in futility.

The following users thanked this post: Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 07:00:00 am »
Thanks  :-+

I have asked Uho about his adapter availability  :)

Fraser

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 12:18:52 pm »
I have come across said seller a few times. They do "3D printed prototype zoom lenses" and sell old cores etc. I wanted to invite them into this forum before but didn't try to in the end.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 01:44:28 pm »
I have made contact with the very friendly and helpful seller. I have also invited him to the forum. He is understandably protective of his 3D print files and I totally respect that position. The design of the Reveal slip on adapter took a lot of time and effort to perfect. I am investigating buying a printed example from him but no price yet. It is made of TPU and is apparently flexible.

He has a lot of lenses on offer and clearly has the skills to design 3D parts to make Lens barrels, He might even receive help with his designs from the knowledgeable membership so I hope he joins us.

Fraser

Offline LogoXXL

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 10:56:09 am »
Hello Friends,

i accept your invite and come to your forum.... If you have any questions, let me know.

Sorry for my terrible english....  :-DD

Wolf

Offline LogoXXL

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 11:09:49 am »
Again,

if have modify a Seek to a new case and with better lens. This 3d file is available for free. It was my first step in thermal camera business. I taer down the seek, get new lens and have very nice results.

Open the SeekRebuild.pdf to see some more details.

The small Seek is a very powerfull thermal device, if you change the original lens and case. The results are great and 1000% better than original configuration.....

wolf
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 11:17:16 am by LogoXXL »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2020, 11:44:53 am »
@LogoXXL,

Welcome to the EEVBlog forum  :-+ :)

Thank you for sharing your Reveal modification with us  :)

Regarding your English.... there is no apology needed. You speak better English than my German ! We do not judge people by their English or grammar on this forum. Feel free to use Google Translate if it is easier for you  :-+

Regards

Fraser

Offline LogoXXL

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2020, 12:13:15 pm »
The best and simpliest way to use a seek with better lens.....

To use any higher focal lens in front of seek you need a bi-konkav lens direct in front of seek lens to 1. not turn around the picture and 2. have focal adjustment to high focal lens.

I try this marked (with red pen) bi-konkav lens in front of seek with my laser scaned adapter. Many big lenses, up to 250mm work with this configuration.

What you need is the scanned adapter, best with included bi-konkav lens (this lens will be ever in same position) and a mount base for you own project and lens. Both i can sell and will think about fair price.....

If you have ideas how you need this adapter, let me know and i will try to create it.

Offline LogoXXL

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2020, 12:32:46 pm »
photo 1 = original seek lens
photo 2+3 = Lens combined with bi-konkav and high focal lens
photo 4 = how to do

The pictures are hand hold and not 100% sharp. Difficult to make photo, hold lens by hand....
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 12:35:37 pm by LogoXXL »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2020, 02:32:08 pm »
Hi Wolf,

Thank you for your excellent and helpful post. You are able to make a non inverting Galilean telescope with you bi-concave lens  :-+  It is the Bi-concave lens requirement that stops me making such telescope adapters as I do not have any :(

I am certainly interested in purchasing your 3D printed adapter for the reveal camera.
A price on the bi-concave lens would also be very helpful. Such lenses are relatively hard to locate.

My thanks for your interesting input to the forum

Fraser
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 02:38:52 pm by Fraser »

Offline Cat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2020, 04:01:11 pm »
The small Seek is a very powerfull thermal device, if you change the original lens and case. The results are great and 1000% better than original configuration.....
Sounds promising, cold you share some sample images?
There are other threads about modifying the seek, but unfortunately without a "complete" lens mod:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/seek-thermal-hardware-modification-to-improve-image-quality/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/thermal-camera-lens-mod/
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a cat.

Offline LogoXXL

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2020, 04:09:43 pm »
Hi,

@Cat : please download the PDF File to see some more located somewhere between photos "SeekRebuild.PDF" There are sample impressive photos inside.

the bi-concav lens i can offer has 39g and 17g material is GaSe. Works great with LWIR lenses and devices.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/114142463005

I you order here and not in ebay we can discuss about 25% from ebay price.

You also can look to my other stuff in ebay.... Have a lot of thermal Lenses, cameras and Germanium "toys". If you found something interesting contact me with PM.

Wolf

Offline LogoXXL

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2020, 04:23:38 pm »
@Cat

i think you mean details about tear down and parts inside new case right? Have no photos right now, but Mainboard matches to case inklusive buttons. Screen is at same position and microbolometer will be fixed at middle of case. In my first picture you can see a part looks like a plate with "X". There you can fix the module.

Actual i have no printed version, because i sold this one and have now "higher" cams in my project (50hz). 

First photo Parts.
Second original Seek pro with inside lens (make photo from small computer 7m away)
Third modified Seek inside the case with 100mm ophir lens.... any question? You can see the seek logo down in image. The seek is really good, but needs update in lens and case.

Wolf

Offline Uho

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2020, 05:23:03 pm »
My adapter.

Offline Cat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2020, 05:54:09 pm »
@Cat : please download the PDF File to see some more located somewhere between photos "SeekRebuild.PDF" There are sample impressive photos inside.
Thanks, didn't see the PDF attachment  |O
With images I meant thermal images, sorry could have written that more obvious. ::)

Is this the optical path of your setup?
[Seek FPA]--[original Seek chalcogenide glass lens]--[biconcave lens]--["new" lens eg. 35mm lens]

Anyone tried to interface the Seek sensor without the chalcogenide lens like this?
[Seek FPA]--["new" lens]
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a cat.

Offline Uho

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2020, 05:58:40 pm »
I have tried. Nothing succeeded. The shutter interferes with focusing the lens.

Offline LogoXXL

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2020, 09:27:43 pm »
@cat

Optical path : Seek FPA new small lens convex-concave bif front big lens concave-convex ... works great

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2020, 10:12:52 pm »
The best results would come from using another Seek lens like this:

Bill

Online ArsenioDev

• Regular Contributor
    • DiscountMissiles: my portfolio and landing page
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2020, 08:20:03 pm »
LogoXXL welcome to the forum! Took a quick perusal of your listings and I am very impressed with your offerings, might be snagging a few Ge lens stacks in a bit once I sell off some of my older imagers. I'm especially interested in your single optical element offerings due to my experimentation with custom lens stacks and zoom lenses.

Offline LogoXXL

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2020, 08:33:42 pm »
Hi ArsenioDev

all are welcome to ask if you need something.... i am open to help and explain my adventures with zoom lenses.... Now i have some versions ready.... Not finished but working well.

Some attached photos show how i start and prototype... goes better and better

Last photos shows 50-200mm zoom lens for Pulsar and inside mechanic

The following users thanked this post: RO

Offline RO

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2021, 03:24:03 pm »
Hi, was not sure if this would be the best topic to reply in, as I'm both going "off the topic title" while I only own an E4, and it's quite old.

But after a thorough search I found it has lots of great info already.

I wish to make a "tele" lens or tele converter for my flir E4, for now preferably without removing the original lens, as I fear damaging the sensor. The goal is using the E4 for spotting nocturnal animals (owl).

The E4 has very wide FOV, around 45, and I wish to narrow this 3x, to FOV 12.5, this would require a focal length of approximately 28mm. Such a lens design could obviously fit different camera's and doesn't have to be E4 specific (preferably not)

A zoom lens like LogoXXL makes would obviously be very awesome, any info and explanation would be greatly appreciated!

Now I have been thinking about what would be the way to achieve said 3x magnification (or more)? I see some options:

1, Keplerian Telescope with plano convex lenses
biggest pro,
- I think this could be possible with the cheap (+/- 50,- for a 22-25mm (up to 1") widely available lenses from the co2 laser cutters (ebay / alie znse or gaas plano convex)

cons,
- Not sure about the image quality and loss of light in tele configuration.
- Image will be mirrored, might be fixable by two solutions which I can't solve (yet)

Possible solutions to the mirror image
1. Use an Flir E4 lens (or identical f6,5 converging) reversed as per Bill W suggestion.
2. Get the Flir E4 to mirror the display, which would be a cool feature but might not be possible at all or have serious caveats.
@Bud might know?

2, Galilean Telescope
pros,
This is the preferred telescope type as image will not get mirrored
cons,
Finding a suitable converging lens for LWIR spectrum.
And the price of those lenses in relation to the price of the E4 (or a dedicated thermal spotting camera, flir scout/hikmicro lynx etc.)
@LogoXXL might be a source of information and optics.

3, Swapping out the lens completely, for which I searched this forum for profusely but couldn't find a topic or example.
It does seems @JoeC walked this path, not necessary changing the lens but rebuilding the E4 and motorising the focus. There is some documentation on his site http://joe-c.de/pages/posts/waermebildkamera_flir_ex_umbauten_177.php.

Well, I have been thinking and searching ebay/thorlabs/etc, but would really love input, I lack knowledge and experience.

kind regards,
Robert

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf