Author Topic: Flir C3 MSX focal distance  (Read 4562 times)

Offline ccoelhoTopic starter

Flir C3 MSX focal distance
« on: June 18, 2018, 07:21:41 pm »
Hi team, I recentely bought a Flir C3 to substitute my old E5, I would like to have more portability.
I've bought but I did not payed attention on the MSX focal distance, i've looked judt to the thermal distance, that is from 15cm to infinity.
So my maim usage for the C3 is electronical analisys, as the resolution is poor the the MSX is very helpfully and an ideal focal distance for the MSX would be 15cm.
As you know the minimal focal distance for the MSX  is 1meter, here is my question: That is possible to Hack the MSX and have less focal distance?

Thank you all.

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
Re: Flir C3 MSX focal distance
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 07:31:56 pm »
I don't think so. But how much did you pay for the device?

Offline Spirit532

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 08:19:46 pm »
Going from a 320x240 E5 to an 80x60 C3 is quite a huge downgrade, especially for electronics.
A 15cm MSX distance is possible, but it would be very ugly and wouldn't line up everywhere.

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 11:29:07 am »
I don't think so. But how much did you pay for the device?
I've bought in a trip to USA in march and payed USD640,00

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 11:37:29 am »
Going from a 320x240 E5 to an 80x60 C3 is quite a huge downgrade, especially for electronics.
A 15cm MSX distance is possible, but it would be very ugly and wouldn't line up everywhere.
Yes I know that, is a huge downgrade, but in this special case I need to carrying it in my pocket to come in some companies and it was impossible to do with my E5.
I usually use to analyze power parts os the PCB, and resolotion is not so necessary, becasue the componentes are not so small but the MSX helps a lot to locate the componets om PCB.
If is possible to reduce the MSX focal distabce, please let me know how to do? I donĀ“t care if the menu show 1meter but in really the focal distance is 15cm.

Thank you.!

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 04:17:15 pm »
I think that the CAT S60 is a better product then the C2 and C3. The only thing you miss out is the Standart FLIR Firmware that can be hacked to a point.

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 12:45:32 pm »
Hi Spirit532,
Could you help me to have the MSX focal @ 15cm?

Thank you

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 12:13:30 pm »
Nobody could help me?

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 05:37:47 pm »
I think the consensus is that it wouldn't work that well. The cameras are offset enough from each other that if you tweaked the alignment to do better up close the alignment would be WAY off anywhere except up close - beyond the software's ability to compensate.  The other problem you'd face at that short a distance is the differing perspectives from either camera.  The MSX would probably not be able to perfectly align the images at that close a distance anyway. You might be better served by using a close-up lens and only using the thermal image.

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 04:52:22 pm »
I think the consensus is that it wouldn't work that well. The cameras are offset enough from each other that if you tweaked the alignment to do better up close the alignment would be WAY off anywhere except up close - beyond the software's ability to compensate.  The other problem you'd face at that short a distance is the differing perspectives from either camera.  The MSX would probably not be able to perfectly align the images at that close a distance anyway. You might be better served by using a close-up lens and only using the thermal image.
Thank you for your coment.
I understand you point of view, but there are some models, like E4 that have just 1m minimum distance of MSX but It could work perfectly on 0,3m after software modification.
I think on C3 could be the same, so If someone know's how to adjust the MSX on the software just please let me know I really would like to test.

Thanks so much

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 12:16:44 pm »
Nobody know how to menu hack the C3????
Please someone help me.... :scared: ^-^

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 08:30:46 pm »
there has been software alterations done to the C2, maybe the C3 isn't far: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-c2-here-resolution-and-menu-hack-possible/

The following users thanked this post: ccoelho

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf