Author Topic: Flir E4 "There is no memory card" error  (Read 19217 times)

Offline joe-c

• Frequent Contributor
    • Joe-c.de
Re: Flir E4 "There is no memory card" error
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 09:29:55 am »
The Camera needs to have a known Filestructure, if this is missing, it cant save and told "No Memory Card" or "Cant Save File" or something like that.

the default structure is:
\FlashIFS\DCIM\100_FLIR\<images>
                        \FLIRCurr.dir

If you open the "FLIRCurr.dir" you found the expected folder to store the Images.
Try to get your camera in RNDIS mode and connect with filezilla and create/copy the structure above.
good luck  :-+
Freeware Thermal Analysis Software: ThermoVision_Joe-C
Some Thermal cameras: Kameras

The following users thanked this post: Dirkmicha

Offline msquaredTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2017, 06:28:08 pm »
Joe-c,

Thanks for the info. However after attempting to create the directory structure I'm still getting the same error and not able to save images. I tried 2 different methods below.

Attempt 1:
Attach to the camera with FTP.

I found 2 directories in the root:
\FLASHFS
\FALSHBFS

Both contained system files, so I created a the directory structure below in the root and rebooted the camera (removed battery)

Same error.

Attempt 2:
Change USB mode to MSD.

When Windows mounts the "USB storage" the volume name is "FlashIFS". (After thinking about this I assume that is a different partition or volume in the E4 storage space, using FTP looks like it's the system drive and not the user storage space. Please correct me if I'm wrong or please educate me as how to use FTP to get to the right volume.)

I created the below directory structure in the USB mounted volume (at least the volume name matches) and copied my original FLIRCurr.dir file to the appropriate spot.

Same error.

Before I formatted the save space (which caused this whole mess) I did save off the entire folder structure and files contained. As soon as I hit this problem I copied everything back which should have restored the folder structure and all needed files however that did not fix the issue. Here's the folder and file structure I saved, don't know if this will help or not just thought I'd provided it.

\DCIM
\flir.db
\postlog.txt
\version.rsc
\DCIM\FLIRCurr.dir
\DCIM\FLIR_100
\DCIM\FLIR_100\FLIR0001.jpg

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2017, 07:19:02 pm »
Have you tried the link i sent?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2017, 08:23:57 pm »
Honestly I had missed your post.  :-[

But I did just try and the HP tool reports "Device media is write protected", however I'm able to format the camera with the usual windows tools.

I'm running Win7 32bit as an OS (not a VM, native install) to interact with the camera to get around all the signing and admin (UAC) stuff in 64bit versions and new Windows OS's. So I don't think it's a permission issue but just for fun I did R-click and "Run as Admin" with the same result.

One of the thing I'm unsure of is what format is it supposed to be? I've tried FAT, FAT32 and NTFS all with the same result.

Thanks!

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2017, 08:49:04 pm »
\FlashIFS\DCIM\100_FLIR\<images>
                        \FLIRCurr.dir

\DCIM
\flir.db
\postlog.txt
\version.rsc
\DCIM\FLIRCurr.dir
\DCIM\FLIR_100
\DCIM\FLIR_100\FLIR0001.jpg

Just saying...
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2017, 12:27:52 am »
Good catch.

However the directory structure I posted was from my backup before I formatted the camera so that was the folder name when the camera was working.

I did however jump into the camera and see what I had done today and the folder structure I created was "100_FLIR" as joe-c had posted.

Just to be make sure I changed it from "100_FLIR" to "FLIR_100" but unfortunately that didn't help.  :(

Thanks!

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2017, 05:10:38 am »
Windows reports FAT32 as the filesystem type.

Try checking the camera flash drive boot sector using a disk editor. I have attached a screenshot that I made used Active Disk Editor

http://www.disk-editor.org/

Check yours byte-by-byte and try changing yours to match the screenshot. Make a backup copy of your flash drive boot sector in case  you need to revert the changes.

I do not need to tell you to be extra careful to not change your other drives, right?  ;)

EDIT: this is from the E4 WiFi camera which I guess is a different hardware version from yours.  Not sure if the Flash drive parameters were the same, but you can always revert back in Disk Editor.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 05:15:20 am by Bud »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2017, 12:07:53 pm »
I just read this article regarding Win CE .net file systems and thought I would share it in case it is of interest.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa459155.aspx

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2017, 12:22:39 pm »
TFAT looks interesting. I have no idea whether that is implemented on the Ex platform though and what it would look like when viewed with a PC.

Worth looking at maybe ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transaction-Safe_FAT_File_System

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2017, 05:59:44 pm »
Bud,

I think you're on to something here.

I changed the sector on my camera's flash to exactly what you posted but that just corrupted the disk and I had to reformat. Knowing a tiny bit about disk formats and doing a little reading I think there may be other structure changes that need to take place.

Doing a little searching brought me to a few places where old phones and devices running wince had similar issues but people where able to fix their SD cards and flash space by formatting from within the phone (i.e. within WinCE). Some phones provided tools but there were also 3 party tools created. (http://www.hpcfactor.com/scl/details.asp?id=601). Since these were all GUI tools none of this is going to work on the camera.

I don't know if there is a command line format tool built into the camera that can be accessed through telnet, I'm going to investigate this later today. The other thing that maybe possible is to take a clone of a good disk and restore on a broken camera. I got this idea when I was editing the disk and noticed that WinHex (disk editor I use) has a clone disk option, I'm sure there are other tools that won't require purchase.

Fraser,

I did look at TFAT, I really hope that's not it.. TFAT looks complicated and that is might require storage to be re-associated with the applications (If I understood correctly.  :-//). Seems like that might be something only FLiR could do.

Thanks again to everyone for providing ideas, data and spending their valuable time.  :)

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2017, 07:34:09 pm »
I know it has been mentioned before but........

When I have been accessing images via USB as a MSD, once the camera is disconnected and switched off, on the next power on it complains of not finding the image memory..... it then automatically re-indexes the stored images and all returns to normal.

This indexing of the images is not something I have seen on other platforms and makes me wonder what that is all about. Re-indexing appears to be some form of data recovery or updating of some index file that keeps track of activity within the image memory space. Your problem could actually be with such an index file that is now invalid due to the changes made in the image file area during the format, followed by a cold boot. This would mean that no matter what you do with the image file area, that index file will continue to cause a problem. It effectively has become 'corrupt' and needs to be rebuilt with valid data. Such would be carried out from within Win CE. I am at a loss as to why Win CE is not automatically repairing such a file.

As you have stated, part of your problem is that you really need access to utilities that would sit within Win CE rather than using a PC outside of that OS.

Fraser

Offline dedelekid

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2017, 11:36:51 am »
I've done a bad thing. I formatted the photo space on my E4 from my PC.  :palm:

However I did save off the files on the drive before I formatted the drive.
\DCIM
\DCIM\FLIRCurr.dir
flir.db
postlog.txt
version.rsc

Now I get the following error every time I try to take a picture. "The image could not be saved. There is no memory card."

I tried formatting in FAT, FAT32, NTFS and exFAT and replaced the original files each time. However none of those formats worked.

I did think about reflashing the camera however, I don't have a copy of the firmware to attempt the flash. (1.22.0)

I also opened a telnet session into the camera and using diskutil.exe I found what I think is the camera storage disk device "DSK2:" with no volume name. So I'm wondering if the camera is trying to save to that device by volume name and failing? I don't know what the original volume name was and I don't know my way around CE well enough to start formatting and changing partitions on internal flash. (That would probably end very bad)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The camera works fine except it won't take pictures.  :-[

Thanks!

Camera info:
Sw Combination:  1.22.0
Appkit:  1.0.17
Bootloader:  16.1.5.0
Confkit:  E4 1.1L
OsImgkit:  16.0.12

Hi, juste in case that work "Delete items from device after import" in flir tool when using "import"  window. Try this, maybe that work?
And why not to try ask Flir firm about your issue, maybe they have a simple solution?

And look what "TAUCHER" resolve the issue with the DCIM folder  - could not be listed or read over telnet/samba
Solution: changed to RNDIS+MSD mode - there I could read out the contents and recover the images (then I re-formatted the partition)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg453236/#msg453236
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 04:27:34 pm by dedelekid »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2017, 05:00:03 pm »
Interesting idea.

I did contact FLiR and they wouldn't provide a fix but they did offer to fix the camera if I would send it back to them. I'm trying to avoid this as I'm pretty sure it'll come back with the latest firmware and completely back in original working order. ;)

While letting FLiR tools delete all the images didn't fix the camera but did provide a bit more info.

Quick recap.

1. Setup directory structure and copy all FliR files including a few photos to the camera.
2. Open FliR tools which results in a dialog box to import photos. However no photos are found.
3. Use Processor Monitor (sys internals) to monitor file system and found FliR tools trying to open flir.db and flir.db-journal, however flir.db-journal is not found. (since I thought I copied all the files initially before I formatted the flash maybe flir.db-journal is a hidden file and I missed it)
4. Delete flir.db and re-open FliR tools. Success! I'm able to import photos and check the delete photos after import, but this doesn't change the issue with the camera.

While deleting flir.db allowed for the files to be imported neither the camera or flir tools recreated any of the "support files".

I wonder if I'm missing the flir.db-journal file, according to the file system sniff it should be in the root with flir.db.

Offline dedelekid

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2017, 05:50:19 pm »
Bonsoir,
After you have delete flir.db try a cold restar. Perhaps the wince go to rebuild the path of the partition.
Don't forget what "TAUCHER" do with his issu.........

Offline dedelekid

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2017, 12:29:19 am »
Ok, there are new informations..............

If look in nk.bin for the 1.22.00 firmware with an hex editor will find in the end something interessant  ;D:

S.y.s.t.e.m.\.S.t.o.r.a.g.e.M.a.n.a.g.e.r...(.........P.N.P.U.n.l.o.a.d.D.e.l.a.y.......$.........D.l.l...f.s.d.m.g.r...d.l.l...<.......S.y.s.t.e.m.\.S.t.o.r.a.g.e.M.a.n.a.g.e.r.\.M.S.I.F.S...6.........D.e.f.a.u.l.t.F.i.l.e.S.y.s.t.e.m...E.X.F.A.T...\.....,.S.y.s.t.e.m.\.S.t.o.r.a.g.e.M.a.n.a.g.e.r.\.M.S.I.F.S.\.D.e.t.e.c.t.o.r.s.\.E.X.F.A.T...6.......".E.x.p.o.r.t...F.S.D._.D.e.t.e.c.t.V.o.l.u.m.e...".........D.l.l...e.x.f.a.t...d.l.l...^.......N.G.u.i.d...{.A.4.A.B.2.A.B.F.-.7.2.6.A.-.4.a.a.8.-.B.8.8.2.-.6.E.B.6.E.B.5.7.8.0.E.9.}...N.....%.S.y.s.t.e.m.\.S.t.o.r.a.g.e.M.a.n.a.g.e.r.\.P.a.r.t.i.t.i.o.n.T.a.b.l.e.............2.6...B.I.N.A.R.Y.............2.5...I.M.G.F.S.............2.3...R.A.W.F.S.............2.2...R.A.W.F.S.............2.1...B.I.N.F.S.............2.0...B.O.O.T.............0.F...F.A.T.F.S.............0.E...F.A.T.F.S.............0.C...F.A.T.F.S.............0.B...F.A.T.F.S.............0.7...M.S.I.F.S.............0.6...F.A.T.F.S.............0.4...F.A.T.F.S.............0.1...F.A.T.F.S...B.......S.y.s.t.e.m.\.S.t.o.r.a.g.e.M.a.n.a.g.e.r.\.P.r.o.f.i.l.e.s...v.......T.A.c.t.i.v.i.t.y.E.v.e.n.t...P.o.w.e.r.M.a.n.a.g.e.r./.A.c.t.i.v.i.t.y.T.i.m.e.r./.S.y.s.t.e.m.A.c.t.i.v.i.t.y...2.........F.o.l.d.e.r...M.o.u.n.t.e.d. .V.o.l.u.m.e...<.........P.a.r.t.i.t.i.o.n.D.r.i.v.e.r.N.a.m.e...M.S.P.A.R.T...,.........D.e.f.a.u.l.t.F.i.l.e.S.y.s.t.e.m..... .........M.o.u.n.t.F.l.a.g.s....... .........A.u.t.o.F.o.r.m.a.t.................A.u.t.o.P.a.r.t.................A.u.t.o.M.o.u.n.t.......T.....(.S.y.s.t.e.m.\.S.t.o.r.a.g.e.M.a.n.a.g.e.r.\.P.r.o.f.i.l.e.s.\.M.S.I.F.l.a.s.h...B.........P.a.r.t.i.t.i.o.n.D.r.i.v.e.r...f.l.a.s.h.p.a.r.t...d.l.l... .........A.u.t.o.F.o.r.m.a.t.................A.u.t.o.P.a.r.t.......&.........F.o.l.d.e.r...F.l.a.s.h.I.F.S...&.........N.a.m.e...N.A.N.D. .F.L.A.S.H...T.....(.S.y.s.t.e.m.\.S.t.o.r.a.g.e.M.a.n.a.g.e.r.\.P.r.o.f.i.l.e.s.\.M.S.B.F.l.a.s.h...B.........P.a.r.t.i.t.i.o.n.D.r.i.v.e.r...f.l.a.s.h.p.a.r.t...d.l.l... .........A.u.t.o.F.o.r.m.a.t.................A.u.t.o.P.a.r.t.......&.........F.o.l.d.e.r...F.l.a.s.h.B.F.S...&.........N.a.m.e...N.A.N.D. .F.L.A.S.H...R.....'.S.y.s.t.e.m.\.S.t.o.r.a.g.e.M.a.n.a.g.e.r.\.P.r.o.f.i.l.e.s.\.M.S.F.l.a.s.h...B.........P.a.r.t.i.t.i.o.n.D.r.i.v.e.r...f.l.a.s.h.p.a.r.t...d.l.l... .........A.u.t.o.F.o.r.m.a.t.................A.u.t.o.P.a.r.t.......$.........F.o.l.d.e.r...F.l.a.s.h.F.S...&.........N.a.m.e...N.A.N.D. .F.L.A.S.H...J.....#.S.y.s.t.e.m.\.S.t.o.r.a.g.e.M.a.n.a.g.e.r.\.P.r.o.f.i.l.e.s.\.M.M.C.............F.o.l.d.e.r...S.t.o.r.a.g.e. .C.a.r.d...".........N.a.m.e...M.M.C. .C.a.r.d...T.....(.S.y.s.t.e.m.\.S.t.o.r.a.g.e.M.a.n.a.g.e.r.\.P.r.o.f.i.l.e.s.\.S.D.M.e.m.o.r.y.............F.o.l.d.e.r...S.t.o.r.a.g.e. .C.a.r.d.............N.a.m.e...S.D. .M.e.m.o.r.y. .C.a.r.d...V.....).S.y.s.t.e.m.\.S.t.o.r.a.g.e.M.a.n.a.g.e.r.\.P.r.o.f.i.l.e.s.\.C.D.P.r.o.f.i.l.e...:.........P.a.r.t.i.t.i.o.n.D.r.i.v.e.r...C.D.R.o.m...D.L.L...<.........D.e.f.a.u.l.t.F.i.l.e.S.y.s.t.e.m...M.S.I.F.S._.C.D...,.........F.o.l.d.e.r...C.D.R.O.M. .D.r.i.v.e...8.......(.N.a.m.e...I.D.E. .C.D.R.O.M./.D.V.D. .D.r.i.v.e...t.....8.S.y.s.t.e.m.\.S.t.o.r.a.g.e.M.a.n.a.g.e.r.\.P.r.o.f.i.l.e.s.\.C.D.P.r.o.f.i.l.e.\.P.a.r.t.i.t.i.o.n.T.a.b.l.e...b...../.S.y.s.t.e.m.\.S.t.o.r.a.g.e.M.a.n.a.g.e.r.\.P.r.o.f.i.l.e.s.\.C.D.P.r.o.f.i.l.e.\.C.D.R.o.m...0.........C.D.R.O.M.P.o.l.l.F.r.e.q.u.e.n.c.y.......0.........U.s.e.L.e.g.a.c.y.R.e.a.d.I.O.C.T.L.......P.....&.S.y.s.t.e.m.\.S.t.o.r.a.g.e.M.a.n.a.g.e.r.\.P.r.o.f.i.l.e.s.\.P.C.M.C.I.A.............F.o.l.d.e.r...S.t.o.r.a.g.e. .C.a.r.d...H.......8.N.a.m.e...P.C.M.C.I.A./.C.o.m.p.a.c.t. .F.l.a.s.h. .D.e.v.i.c.e...>.......S.y.s.t.e.m.\.S.t.o.r.a.g.e.M.a.n.a.g.e.r.\.M.S.P.A.R.T...$.........D.l.l...m.s.p.a.r.t...d.l.l...<.......S.y.s.t.e.m.\.S.t.o.r.a.g.e.M.a.n.a.g.e.r.\.E.X.F.A.T...".........F.o.r.m.a.t.E.x.f.a.t.......4.........C.a.c.h.e.D.l.l...d.i.s.k.c.a.c.h.e...d.l.l...(.........U.t.i.l...f.a.t.u.t.i.l...d.l.l.............C.a.c.h.e.S.i.z.e.......".........E.n.a.b.l.e.C.a.c.h.e.................P.a.g.i.n.g.......*.........D.i.s.a.b.l.e.A.u.t.o.S.c.a.

It's like that use exfat file format.
And also, when you update the camera, it's create and mount the folder.
You can try this:

1st) format the memory card in exfat, for this use windows (Open up Windows Explorer and right-click on your drive in the sidebar. Choose "Format". In the "File System" dropdown, choose exFAT. Click Start and close this window when finished.)
Next you have to try if it works, after you have  replaced the original files. If not works, try a cold restart. (I know it's already been done  :-// )

2nd) If it does not work, you can corrupt the Flashifs, for example by renaming it or delete it and then restart in cold mode.  It could force wince   to recreate the directory.

3th) If it does not work, you can corrupt the Flashifs, but this time reflash the camera with your actual version 1.22.00.   We see on the file hex of nk.bin that it is a step  is done but I think after verification if it exists or not .

I hope it will work :-+

Warning: I do not try that, and I do not have a Flir camera, I'm in a wrong part of the world and I can not buy an TIC camera, although I would like to have one for my medical research  |O.
You can brick your favorit flir E4 camera...............

Offline Dirkmicha

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2018, 08:07:39 am »
Has anyone now found a definitive solution to the problem? How can you format the image memory so that it works again? I would be infinitely grateful for an answer.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2018, 05:00:23 pm »
Nothing yet.  :(

I've tried everything but last suggestion by dedelekid. Which was corrupt the flash and then re-flash the camera.

Offline Dirkmicha

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2018, 07:49:55 pm »
I sent the camera to Flir now, did not change. They said I had tried to play Bud's update on it. But I denied that. Now you have the camera repaired for free and she is on her way home. I do not know if you changed the firmware, but in doubt you can change it again. The whole thing took more than a month now. Such a crap.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2018, 08:34:03 pm »
Dirkmicha,

Good news that you got the repair free of charge. I suspect FLIR do see quite a few cameras that have been bricked after update attempts. It is likely the first thing they blame for any firmware related issue. At least they did the decent thing and repaired it with no further argument.  :-+

Have you asked them why formatting the picture memory area caused the problem and whether such formatting is normally safe ?

I suspect the camera will come back to you with Firmware 3.12.

P.S. FLIR staff do read the EEVBlog thermal imaging forum.

Fraser
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 09:19:10 pm by Fraser »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2018, 09:06:04 pm »
So if they do, they should consider educating their colleague that "Bud's update" has nothing to do with the camera's ability to read the flashdrive. Thanks for the recognition though.

Offline Dirkmicha

« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2018, 06:22:54 pm »
The camera is back now and works fine.
Unfortunately already as expected with 3.12  :rant:
Somewhere in the forum but I have read that you can install the update with 3.12,
can someone tell me if it works and maybe how?

That would be really helpful, especially since I try it all the time. :horse:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 06:28:58 pm by Dirkmicha »

Offline Dirkmicha

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2018, 06:43:26 pm »
Dirkmicha,

Good news that you got the repair free of charge. I suspect FLIR do see quite a few cameras that have been bricked after update attempts. It is likely the first thing they blame for any firmware related issue. At least they did the decent thing and repaired it with no further argument.  :-+

Have you asked them why formatting the picture memory area caused the problem and whether such formatting is normally safe ?

I did not speak directly with Flir but only with the one I got the camera from. First Flir did not want to fix the camera, when I threatened with my lawyer, it all went off. The camera came back without comment.

I suspect the camera will come back to you with Firmware 3.12.
Of course, despite my instruction, you have 3.09 to let it install 3.12. :rant:

P.S. FLIR staff do read the EEVBlog thermal imaging forum.

Fraser

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2018, 08:31:13 pm »
Bud updated his upgrade files to work with firmware 3.12. You can find all you need in the E4 WiFi upgrade thread in this sub forum. It is the same process as for 3.9, but using Buds new 3.12 compatible files.

Look at Bud's message 478 here.....

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-wifi-resolution-and-menu-hack-thread/msg1397359/#msg1397359

Tested and confirmed working by others.

Fraser
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 08:34:32 pm by Fraser »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2018, 01:20:47 am »
Well at least this was an indication Flir is still on v3.12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2018, 05:33:47 am »
To close this one out.

I never got it fixed on my own despite a bunch of help and great ideas from many people. The Camera went to Flir and 300+ US dollars later the camera is back and working great.

Flir upgraded the hardware from 1.1L to 2.0L, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. :-//

I'm just happy I can take pictures again. :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf