Author Topic: Flir E4 "There is no memory card" error  (Read 19054 times)

Offline msquaredTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Flir E4 "There is no memory card" error
« on: July 07, 2017, 04:28:39 am »
I've done a bad thing. I formatted the photo space on my E4 from my PC.  :palm:

However I did save off the files on the drive before I formatted the drive.
\DCIM
\DCIM\FLIRCurr.dir
flir.db
postlog.txt
version.rsc

Now I get the following error every time I try to take a picture. "The image could not be saved. There is no memory card."

I tried formatting in FAT, FAT32, NTFS and exFAT and replaced the original files each time. However none of those formats worked.

I did think about reflashing the camera however, I don't have a copy of the firmware to attempt the flash. (1.22.0)

I also opened a telnet session into the camera and using diskutil.exe I found what I think is the camera storage disk device "DSK2:" with no volume name. So I'm wondering if the camera is trying to save to that device by volume name and failing? I don't know what the original volume name was and I don't know my way around CE well enough to start formatting and changing partitions on internal flash. (That would probably end very bad)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The camera works fine except it won't take pictures.  :-[

Thanks!

Camera info:
Sw Combination:  1.22.0
Appkit:  1.0.17
Bootloader:  16.1.5.0
Confkit:  E4 1.1L
OsImgkit:  16.0.12

• Regular Contributor
Re: Flir E4 "There is no memory card" error
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 05:26:22 pm »
Just wanted to ask if anyone had a copy of "flir_ex_pn639_v1.22.0_update_pack.zip" still around so I could attempt to re-flash my camera?

Thanks in advance.

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 08:18:26 pm »
Where should be that file? Can I find it on the E4 internal memory?

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 04:24:45 pm »
I sometimes get "There is no memory card" error after turning Flir E4 camera on. Pictures cannot be saved and previously saved pictures can not be reached.
It takes 1-2 minutes to find memory. Sometimes taking out battery helps. It could be caused by either unstable firmware or issue with memory (I hope for the former).

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 04:51:14 pm »
I sometimes get "There is no memory card" error after turning Flir E4 camera on. Pictures cannot be saved and previously saved pictures can not be reached.
It takes 1-2 minutes to find memory. Sometimes taking out battery helps. It could be caused by either unstable firmware or issue with memory (I hope for the former).
ISTR you also get this if the camera is mounted as a drive via USB.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 06:55:07 pm »
Yes I have had the camera needing to re index it's images if the camera is accessed as a USB bulk storage device.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 05:03:08 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.

The camera is not plugged in when I'm getting the error.

I tried popping the battery to make sure the camera was getting a full reset and letting the camera sit powered on for about 10 minutes to let index complete (there's only 95 images). Same error.

I also tried removing the images, so there was nothing to index, removed battery, powered on, let it sit. Same error.

I opened a ticket with Flir, their only response was "return it for repair" I'm trying to avoid that.

I did notice that none of the "system files" (flir.db, postlog.txt) have been updated on the flash since I did the format. I did replace the original files but that didn't  help. The camera is acting like it can't find or mount the flash.

I'm really hoping that re-flashing will fix the issue, I just to get my hands on that update package.  :)

Thanks everyone.

Offline smarvel

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 12:37:56 pm »
Hi,

could you solve the problem? I just accidently formatted my Flir e4 without backing up the stuff.  |O |O

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 11:00:07 pm »
I still haven't been able to solve the error, my camera remains broken. I'm pretty sure re-flashing would fix the issue but I haven't been able to obtain the proper version (1.22.0).

Offline JRB

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 12:08:43 am »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 01:19:38 am »
Please be aware that re-flashing does not change the picture file repository. It is deliberately protected during the flashing process to avoid loss of images.

Sadly this 'fault' normally requires the help of a FLIR service agent to rebuild the pictures memory block.

AFAIK, no one has actually discovered what actually goes wrong with the pictures file area to cause this issue.

Fraser

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 01:37:11 am »
Just thinking about this situation for a minute........

The Ex series does not contain a memory card
The configuration files contain a line to activate 'SD Card' but it is deactivated on the Ex series

If we consider how the Ex treats the 'memory card' in terms of identifying it, we may make progress.
The 'memory card' is just a FLASH memory chip with no integrated controller. The fact that it is referred to as a 'memory card' and the camera otherwise works OK, makes me think that the FLASH memory space may be given a 'Volume' name by which the OS identifies it ?

When you format a memory card you over Write the Volume information. Could it be, I wonder, that you have effectively hidden the memory from the OS as it no longer sees the Volume name ? You have already re installed the files in the memory area. I trust you had hidden files being shown when you saved the contents as a back-up ?

This is all raw thinking with me pretty tired after a long day, so it could be total rubbish. You have to think about why an OS would suddenly fail to see a memory block......

1. Memory is no longer present or powered - not applicable here
2. Memory has a hidden ID file that has been lost and not replaced
3. Memory was formatted in an unusual way, such as a FAT 12 (floppy disk FAT)
4. Memory had a specific Volume name that was lost during the format
5. The format is not a standard PC generatable type - unlikely as a PC can read the contents.
6. The memory had some sort of checksum written in a cell group that has now been cleared in the format - unusual but possible and the PC may not see such as it will not be visible without a binary or hex view of the memory area. An overcomplicated idea though - unlikely.

See what I mean about considering the possibilities. Sadly these can only be checked on a working camera !

I am away from home at the moment so cannot help by checking my camera. Maybe someone else can look closely at the Picture file memory area ?

Fraser
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 01:39:03 am by Fraser »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 01:46:52 am »
This likely does not help, but I do know that if I connect my Ex series camera to a PC and copy files off of it without using FLIR Tools, the camera throws a bit of a tantrum when next switched on. It says it is re-indexing the pictures.

This suggests to me that there is some form of picture memory management that does not like the picture memory being accessed outside of whatever handshaking process FLIR Tools uses to download images.

Messing with the contents of the picture memory area, such as deleting its contents or formatting it, could potentially unhinge whatever memory management instigates the re indexing of the pictures described above.

Time for bed now in the UK (01:46) so good luck solving this problem.

Fraser

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 10:44:04 am »
Regarding the possibility of a Volume name for the picture memory block. This will be shown when the camera is connected to a PC. Please advise what your cameras bulk memory area is named when you look at it with a PC under the 'computer' window.

Finally, does your camera have the service menu present on it. I forget when FLIR deleted it. The service menu provides system diagnostics and potentially a way to repair the picture memory area ?

Fraser

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 04:25:22 pm »
I have those files saved.

https://www.jensrex.dk/bin/flir_ex_pn639_v1.22.0_update_pack.zip

And just for good measure:

https://www.jensrex.dk/bin/flir_ex_pn639_v1.21.0_update_pack.zip

I hope this helps you.

Thank you for the files.  :)

Fraser,

Thank you for all the ideas and discussions of the possible fixes.

I tried changing the volume name back and I tried different formats at least FAT32 and FAT16, I didn't think about FAT12.

I was able to telnet into the camera and dump the disk configuration with "diskutil -L" and I didn't see any differences when compared to the output that had been posted in this thread.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/2025/

I might go back and look again, the format type says NTFS or SDXC. I'm not sure what format type SDXC is??

My camera is charging right now and I'll check for a service menu as soon as I can get it to power up.

Thanks Again!

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 07:30:54 pm »
There is another post related to formatting an E4. Another forum member has made a comment that a factory reset of the camera, followed by power removal, then deletion of all images from the menu (?) solves this problem. If you have not tried this exact process it may be worth a try.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/accidently-formatted-e4/

Fraser
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 07:32:53 pm by Fraser »

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 08:43:09 pm »
There may be a point in this method, if the camera deletes all images by simply reformatting the storage.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 08:49:11 pm »
Bud,

Good thinking  :-+ I was unsure as to how this resolved the situation, but your comment would make sense.

Fraser

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 11:46:57 pm »
I tried the reset. No luck.

Also the "Delete all saved images" is greyed out in the menu. Maybe because it can't find "the card" or because there are no pictures.

I looked for the diag menu item but I couldn't find it, even under the "Formerly hidden menu".

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 12:22:42 am »
The diagnostics menu option sits in the Service menu. The Service Menu is accessed via the camera IP address using a web browser and password 3vlig. Are you able to get to that service menu please ? It was removed on later firmware released to prevent its use in hacks.

Fraser

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 05:23:16 pm »
Looks like it was removed by 1.22.0. I can get to the "System Information" page but clicking on the service menu and providing User/PW returns 404 not found.

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 09:07:18 pm »
Is the UUID of the drive/partition stored in the config somewhere?

Offline Dirkmicha

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2017, 09:39:26 am »

Hello, I have the following problem with my E4, I tried to install the upgrade and it has the cable from my notebook solved, I can now unfortunately no pictures save. Have already tried everything to formattieren the image memory. The Flir support I would like to send the camera for repair, but I have to consider that then install the new firmware on it. Does anyone have an idea how to get the image memory back, I would be infinitely grateful.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2017, 02:47:37 pm »
Dirkmicha,

Sadly there does not seem to be a solution to this problem yet.

I shall take a close look at my Cameras picture file area and see if Incan discover anything helpful.

Fraser

The following users thanked this post: Dirkmicha

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2017, 03:21:12 am »
If everything else failed and you have nothing to lose, try HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/hp-usb-disk-storage-format-tool/

Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: Dirkmicha

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf