Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3770388 times)

Offline Spirit532

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #8450 on: June 10, 2018, 03:57:55 am »
That doesn't matter, since they're identical hardware. All you're getting is a different bezel with E5 instead of E4 written on it, and a slightly different config file.

Offline Echo88

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8451 on: June 10, 2018, 11:14:19 am »
By terminal-commands i meant the commands to control the E4-Buttons remotely for example, so you can set the palettes, settings, etc. I think the button-commands were something like "button-e" or "enter-e" or something like that. Sorry if i worded my queston wrong.

Offline Tonys87

« Reply #8452 on: June 10, 2018, 01:26:53 pm »
Is anyone interested in panorama images?

create a panorama image with exiftool, imagemagick, MS ICE  and php

Hi tomas123, i've some problem with your splitjpg.php, after doing all the previusly steps and edited the path for imagemagick convert, i've launched the script, the powershell return this:
.fffrebuilt FFF from 12 parts
split FFF file to segments
FLIR Record 0x4646, offset 0x4f000000, length 0x0000
Invalid FLIR record
magick.exe: Unknown field with tag 18248 (0x4748) encountered. `TIFFReadDirectory' @ warning/tiff.c/TIFFWarnings/1000.
new image w/h=745/555
write new radiometric jpg
part 0: 65534 Byte
part 1: 65534 Byte
part 2: 65534 Byte
part 3: 65534 Byte
part 4: 65534 Byte
part 5: 65534 Byte
part 6: 65534 Byte
part 7: 65534 Byte
part 8: 65534 Byte
part 9: 65534 Byte
part 10: 65534 Byte
part 11: 65534 Byte
part 12: 41224 Byte

and furthermore, the pano1.jpg created (i think with some error) it isn't the panoramic but the flir template used in the script.

Any suggestion? :D

EDIT: sorry for the possible stupid question, but this forum and all the "thermal image editing" is pretty new to me :P

Offline Spirit532

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #8453 on: June 10, 2018, 02:00:31 pm »
By terminal-commands i meant the commands to control the E4-Buttons remotely for example, so you can set the palettes, settings, etc. I think the button-commands were something like "button-e" or "enter-e" or something like that. Sorry if i worded my queston wrong.

That would be the "bt.exe" in /system/. Or you can use rls/rset to set the parameters directly. The entire camera runs on the registry in realtime, so you have access to most of the settings(palettes, msx zoom, things like that).

Code: [Select]
    usage: bt [flank] <named key>
  bt -a <Key> <Alt>+<key>
    bt -u       Joystick up    button
  bt -d          -"-   down  button
  bt -l          -"-   left  button
  bt -r          -"-   right button
  bt -e  <Enter>     key
 bt -t  <Tab>       key
 bt -c  <Esc>       key
 bt -b  <Backspace> key
 bt -    Minus
 bt f1 - Left  function button
  bt f2 - Right function button
  bt -g - Laser    button
    bt -s - Snapshot button
    bt -o - Open (recall) image button
 bt -p - Power on/off button
    bt u1 - User button 1
  bt u2 - User button 2
  bt -m - Mode button
    bt -f - Freeze button
  bt -v - View mode button (IR/DC/Fusion)
    bt -k - Toggle button (Viewfinder/LCD)
 bt -A - Manual|Auto button
 bt --   Adjust left key
    bt -+   Adjust right key
   bt -*   Adjust press key
   bt -P  <named key> Press flank
 bt -R  <named key> Release flank
   bt af - Auto focus button
  bt ai - focus in button
    bt ao - focus out button
   bt zn - Zoom near button
   bt zf - Zoom far button
    Character and number keys used as they are
 Just bt will send a <Space>
     ------             ------
  | f1 |    -----    | f2 |
  ------    |-u |    ------
       |-l |     |-r |     
       -----     -----     
   -----    |-d |    -----
   |-o |    -----    |-p |
   -----    -----    -----
            |-g |  (Laser)
            |-s | (Snapshot)
               -----     
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 02:08:31 pm by Spirit532 »

The following users thanked this post: Echo88

Offline Echo88

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8454 on: June 10, 2018, 03:18:33 pm »
Thanks, that are the commands i were searching for.  :-+

Offline cq-317

• Contributor
« Reply #8455 on: June 28, 2018, 01:59:24 am »
I just got two E4 with version 2.3 from ebay. One is already cracked and one is not cracked. But I found that they all have the same problem :(,

The measurement function is normal after cold start. However, I need to press the power key twice In the hot start, after the first press, the LOGO appears for about 2 seconds, then the screen is closed, the device does not boot, and after the second press, the LOGO appears again. The device is boot normally  and the measurement function is normal.

the two e4 (cracked and uncracked) has the  same problem,Is this a common problem with version 2.3?

The cracked E4, after pressing the power button for the second time, sometimes does not measure normally. Sometimes there are only visible light images. Sometimes the thermal image is a green screen, and sometimes the thermal image is a large gray square. Is it caused by a failed crack?

can someone help me ?thanks! :)

Offline sogrin

« Reply #8456 on: July 25, 2018, 07:52:04 am »
Hello! I bought a thermal imager E4 with firmware 1.19.8. According to the instructions from the first message, I installed the software using EzCRC and serial number input received zipmycontents archive.fif. Flashed it into E4. Got an OK message. Rebooted the thermal imager (removed the battery). But when you reconnect to USB, the thermal imager is again defined as a removable device, not RNDIS. What am I doing wrong? Can I flash the thermal imager to 2.11 and make a mod? Where to get firmware 2.11 and how to install it? Thank you!

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #8457 on: August 06, 2018, 01:36:03 pm »
Hello! I bought a thermal imager E4 with firmware 1.19.8.

Do not update the firmware 1.19.8 . it's a nice old one FW where everything can be edited as you like.
As I know the RNDIS is lost when you take out the battery or turn off the device.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 02:19:16 pm by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline max-bit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8458 on: August 07, 2018, 07:48:09 pm »
Can you make a copy of this software? I've been looking for it for a long time! (of course 1.19.8)

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8459 on: August 08, 2018, 11:47:57 am »
Firmware 1.19.x was not released as an update package and no tools exist on the camera to clone the complete Firmware/Win CE6 file set to an external computer. A simple file copy only transfers files that are not in use by the system, so is incomplete.

Firmware 1.18x was released as a firmware update and I have that somewhere in my archives. From memory 1.18 works fine on the platform but I think there was one significant bug fix in 1.19.x.

Moving backwards to an older firmware version carries risk. It should only be done where it is known that the hardware platform is correctly supported by it.

Fraser
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 11:49:53 am by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline max-bit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8460 on: August 09, 2018, 07:27:55 am »
And it seems to me that however 1.19.8 was released as an update.
I think I had version 1.18 and updated to 1.19.
Unfortunately, it's lost somewhere ...
But if you found version 1.18 it would be OK.

Offline max-bit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8461 on: August 09, 2018, 07:30:53 am »
I made updates 1.19.8 to version 2.3 and some functions do not work correctly.

Offline daniel.b

« Reply #8462 on: September 04, 2018, 07:07:38 pm »
Hello Guys,
Plans to buy Flir E4 with the intention of unlocking the E8 firmware. Is there any firmware version that will not allow this?

Offline cq-317

• Contributor
« Reply #8463 on: September 08, 2018, 01:21:28 pm »
As we all know, the flir tools mobile version can not view the real-time data stream.

I found that when I visited the URL http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/webcam.asp, I could get the screen image and refresh it every two seconds.

I carefully checked the transmission time. I found that in each request, I probably need to wait for the device to respond for about 600ms, and the image transmission is about 100ms. The total response time exceeded 700ms. The solution to modify the source code of the webpage failed.

I want to see the real-time data stream of e4 wifi on my mobile phone. Is there a better solution? :)

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8464 on: September 09, 2018, 01:57:42 am »
There is but you probably would not like it. Search this forum for flir radiometric streaming.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: cq-317

Offline cq-317

• Contributor
« Reply #8465 on: September 15, 2018, 11:48:47 am »
Thank you very much, :) according to your prompt, I found the post. I used a MT7688 development board (it only has 30*22mm, 32M flash 64M ram 1*usb 1*wifi 1*rj45), about $12.

The openwrt system is running on the development board, libuvc and mjpg-stream is also installed. After a very simple setup, the development board recognizes the camera. I use a mobile phone to connect to the wifi of the development board, and then I can see the real-time screen image at Mobile browser, this is really cool. The flir tools mobile version can't do this.

This is the first step. After that, I want to follow the prompts of the post and put the libuvc patch to complete the output of the original image. thank you! :)

The following users thanked this post: Bud

Offline roma3210d

« Reply #8466 on: September 27, 2018, 08:55:08 am »
I made updates 1.19.8 to version 2.3 and some functions do not work correctly.
Good day everyone!
I have Flir e5 (upgraded from 1,19 to 2.3 by myself accidentally |O). And for now i cant apply any resolution hack. Or may be i doing something wrong. It is still no any chance to hack resolution (all i need). Please, if someone knows working method to upgrade resolution? please, let me know.
I already tried this methods:1) https://fubar.gr/hacking-the-flir-e4  2) Changing config.cfg with CRC01

Offline roma3210d

« Reply #8467 on: September 27, 2018, 09:25:35 am »
Hi
Is anyone working on a software upgrade to version 1.19.8 up to 2.3.0 and using HACK?
All I know is (based on personal experience):
1. Updating is possible, increased resolution is maintained. However, they do not operate certain features, symptoms:
 - The camera (up) runs longer
 - Do not operate (free) extended menu (the meniu settings)
 - When you turn on the camera (full restart), it takes about 2 minutes to be able to read and write images to internal memory
 - Does not work manually change the scope of termperature.

The problem (probably) is associated with a file conf.cfc and conf.cfg
 In older cameras is located file conf.cfg
 In the new cameras is conf.cfc file?
 I did not get so far no information on the matter.
 I would ask that someone presented a sample file conf.cfc (structure)

Feel free to common solve the problem

I read this tread for a long time. Could you explain how you increase resolution? Please.

Offline cq-317

• Contributor
« Reply #8468 on: October 08, 2018, 02:09:50 pm »
Can someone help me?I have a problem with my E6.

There was a dark spot in the middle of my thermal image. when I closed the lens cap, and it's temperature was 0.6 °C lower than the average temperature. This point does not move, and its temperature is always lower than normal pixels.

1. I don't think this is the dust on the sensor. I took off the lens and tried to clean the sensor, but it didn't have any effect. It was still there.

2、It's also not a bad pixal because its temperature can vary, but it is about 1°C lower than normal.

3. Is this a problem with the calibration file? My E6 was calibrated in 2014 and it has already passed the calibration cycle. My E4 version is 1.22, it doesn't has service menu, can I calibrate the E6 myself?

thanks for everyone.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8469 on: October 08, 2018, 03:05:34 pm »
1. Contamination of the microbolometer window often produces similar spots but they are normally hotter than the background due to reflecting the die temperature back at the Microbolometers.

2. Contamination of the lens block can cause issues but the issue moves as the lens is rotated.

3. 'Dead' pixels in thermal camera parlance are pixels that are either totally non responsive, or that produce an output that is outside permitted tolerance when tested. They could be called defective rather than dead pixels. They are generally captured in the dead pixel map. Pixels with output errors within the permitted tolerances are captured in the NUC offset table and the levels corrected.

4. When a thermal camera carries out an FFC event it applies 'fine tuning' offsets to any pixels that are out of the permitted tolerance for FFC. Hence some pixel stability issues disappear immediately after an FFC but reappear with time as the pixel continues to drift. This normally only occurs with Microbolometers that are not of great performance, or that are subjected to challenging local or scene conditions.

5. Thermal camera Microbolometers can be damaged. Whilst the Microbolometers from FLIR are considered 'sun safe' in that they filter out most of the high energy wavelengths before the pixels, but it is possible to 'stress' microbolometer pixels ! If energy that falls within the Microbolometers filter pass band and exceeds acceptable energy levels at the pixel surface, the pixel can overheat. This overheating leads to a ghost effect that slowly disappears with time as the pixel(s) and surrounding area cool to nominal operating levels. Until that point the FFC event cannot counter the offset at the pixels output. Taking this situation further, if a pixel is severely stressed, it can change its thermal response characteristics permanently. It can effectively become a 'defective pixel' in terms of a NUC calibration. Sadly the FFC event may not be able to adequately correct this change in the pixels output. In a worst case scenarios the pixel(s) can be destroyed or a cluster can become so stressed that even a bad pixel map will find it hard to hide. An easy way to cause such serious damage is to image a powerful CO2 laser on axis with the beam. This has been done to thermal cameras that I have seen and it is a very effective way to permanently damage a thermal cameras sensor. One camera that I almost purchased was a Ganz Pan Tilt unit that delivered an excellent image except for an area that appeared lighter than the rest of the image. Details were still visible within the small area but the FFC found not level the scene. The microbolometer had been 'attacked' with a high energy beam that fell within the systems passband. It was effectively ruined.

6. FLIR used to provide a service menu that permitted the creation of a new dead pixel map and NUC table. This was removed and now the only way to carry out the calibration is by installing the required files and configuration to recreate the service menu as I believe has been achieved with the Exx series elsewhere on this forum. Without a service menu you really need FLIR to carry out the calibration. The Microbolometer has a 10 year warranty on it against failure, but this does exclude abuse.

Fraser

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 03:10:22 pm by Fraser »

The following users thanked this post: cq-317, battmyrne216

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8470 on: October 08, 2018, 06:03:25 pm »
Since cq-317 mentions that the area of the anomaly is 0.6oC lower than the rest I wonder, is this not within limits of the FFC?
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8471 on: October 08, 2018, 06:29:16 pm »
Hmmm, normally an FFC can produce a very low Delta T flat image. It is possible that the 'spot' falls around 0.6C beyond the greatest correction offset that the FFC can apply, hence an FFC cannot bring the areas into level alignment with the rest of the pixels.

It would be an idea to zoom into the 'spot' using FLIR Tools, or whatever, to clearly show the individual pixels before any interpolation or compression. In previous cases I have been able to see that individual pixels are the cause of a spot and not contamination of the microbolometer (inside or outside the capsule). I have also identified contamination as as cause on other cameras as the 'shadow' appears as a solid 'core' of pixels with temperature graduation across pixels radiating from that core area.

Fraser

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8472 on: October 08, 2018, 06:39:03 pm »
So are you suggesting that the FFC does a 'best effort' when the fix is beyond the range instead of just failing and leaving the area uncorrected? That would maybe make sense indeed.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8473 on: October 08, 2018, 07:24:37 pm »
The behavior of an FFC routine is very much dependent upon how the code for a particular camera is written.

I cannot say for sure whether the Ex series FFC applies its greatest pixel correction offset, even if not enough, or 'gives up' and applies no offset at all.

Fraser

Offline peperoca

• Contributor
« Reply #8474 on: October 15, 2018, 11:58:01 pm »
Hi everyone,

I have had my hacked E5 for over two years and a previous year un hacked.

Lately I've been having some trouble turn it on and off, until today. It started I've used it for some minutes and then I couldn't power it off so I did something a noob would do, I took out the battery.

Now it doesn't power on anymore. I can charge it and connect to it's memory from USB, but it doesn't work as a camera.

Actually I believe the power on issues arised since I've hacked it, but this is a new record.

Any ideas?

Best,
Pepe

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf