Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
229 (26%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
416 (47.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
41 (4.7%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
39 (4.4%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
155 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 755

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 2463222 times)

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #8475 on: October 09, 2018, 05:03:25 am »
Since cq-317 mentions that the area of the anomaly is 0.6oC lower than the rest I wonder, is this not within limits of the FFC?
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8476 on: October 09, 2018, 05:29:16 am »
Hmmm, normally an FFC can produce a very low Delta T flat image. It is possible that the 'spot' falls around 0.6C beyond the greatest correction offset that the FFC can apply, hence an FFC cannot bring the areas into level alignment with the rest of the pixels.

It would be an idea to zoom into the 'spot' using FLIR Tools, or whatever, to clearly show the individual pixels before any interpolation or compression. In previous cases I have been able to see that individual pixels are the cause of a spot and not contamination of the microbolometer (inside or outside the capsule). I have also identified contamination as as cause on other cameras as the 'shadow' appears as a solid 'core' of pixels with temperature graduation across pixels radiating from that core area.

Fraser

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8477 on: October 09, 2018, 05:39:03 am »
So are you suggesting that the FFC does a 'best effort' when the fix is beyond the range instead of just failing and leaving the area uncorrected? That would maybe make sense indeed.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8478 on: October 09, 2018, 06:24:37 am »
The behavior of an FFC routine is very much dependent upon how the code for a particular camera is written.

I cannot say for sure whether the Ex series FFC applies its greatest pixel correction offset, even if not enough, or 'gives up' and applies no offset at all.

Fraser

Offline peperoca

• Contributor
« Reply #8479 on: October 16, 2018, 10:58:01 am »
Hi everyone,

I have had my hacked E5 for over two years and a previous year un hacked.

Lately I've been having some trouble turn it on and off, until today. It started I've used it for some minutes and then I couldn't power it off so I did something a noob would do, I took out the battery.

Now it doesn't power on anymore. I can charge it and connect to it's memory from USB, but it doesn't work as a camera.

Actually I believe the power on issues arised since I've hacked it, but this is a new record.

Any ideas?

Best,
Pepe

Offline roma3210d

• Contributor
« Reply #8480 on: November 01, 2018, 07:59:13 pm »
Hi Pepe! Could you help me with E5 hacking procedure? What kind of method do you used?

Offline Zapro

• Contributor
  • Breaking stuff to go fix it again
« Reply #8481 on: November 09, 2018, 06:33:46 am »
Yes it can be hacked. Look at the first post in this long thread for the required links. Firmware 2.1 has issues so I recommend that you upgrade it to firmware 2.3, but no higher version, then hack it as a FW2.3

Hi. Finally i found the time to give it a new try.
I upgraded my E4 from 1.22 to 2.3 per your instructions and that went well.
I followed the instructions on https://fubar.gr/hacking-the-flir-e4 for hacking the 2.3 firmware with "Flirreshack" and the Python script runs perfect and files are patched.
After hard reboot the resolution is /shit/ though. Like really blocky.
Gladly the backup it makes worked perfectly, so i could revert everything.

I tried re-doing the hack one more time, just to see if anything else would happen, but same result.

Reading comments on fubar.gr website, he says that some cameras just cannot be hacked and there is no solution. Do you have any better news for me? Any other guide/hack i could try with the 2.3 firmware?
I don't really care about the other menu functions, i just want the higher resolution.

Regards,
Per.

The following users thanked this post: roma3210d

Offline roma3210d

• Contributor
« Reply #8482 on: November 12, 2018, 01:15:02 pm »
Same trouble. I'm trying to figure it out for couple years. :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf