Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3769591 times)

Offline Loafdude

• Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #1250 on: November 13, 2013, 05:26:00 am »

Excuse me, I am not the user known as Aurora. It's pretty clear to everyone else on this thread (including Aurora) that we are not the same person, so please don't make such accusations. And for the record, I have not made "multiple accounts" on here. Ever.

I have contributed heavily since the inception of the thread, posting logs, confirming hacks, and sharing internal photos of a TI I have available.

I did elect to "self nuke" my own account, for personal reasons and also to determine how long evacuating a forum would take. Not because of any NDA etc.

:-DD :blah:

##EDIT
Apologies you are correct!
Sorry everyone!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 05:31:42 am by Loafdude »

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1251 on: November 13, 2013, 05:29:26 am »
:-DD :blah:

FWIW: StevenWhitney != Aurora. Just saying. :P

Edit: too slow. :P I see you already sorted things out.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 05:31:10 am by mrflibble »

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1252 on: November 13, 2013, 05:35:40 am »
The simultaneity of the two posts is uncanny. hmmm

Perhaps StevenWhitney, mrflibble, and Aurora are all the same person?
Maybe mikeselectricstuff is in on it too?

:-DD

I'm out. It's been great, everybody. :-+

Bwahaah, I was just thinking the very same thing. XD Me backing you up, and you finding my username amusing and awesome and such.  ;D Maybe you are a figment of my sleep deprived imagination?  :o

Offline Loafdude

• Contributor
« Reply #1253 on: November 13, 2013, 05:36:08 am »
I really do apologize  :-\
Your 172 other posts were deleted and the selfnuke thing didnt twig my brain

again sorry. and sorry to see you go!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1254 on: November 13, 2013, 05:36:19 am »
Admins should restore the threads deleted posts IMO. Let him stand by what he said

That is:
a) Not possible. SMF does not keep deleted posts. Once you delete them, they are gone. Technically I could get them from the site daily backup and hack the database and exact and it would take hours or days to do. In the next 5 days they will be gone completely.

b) Not what I want. I have deliberately left the option to delete your own posts turned on since the introduction of this forum. Because I think that if you really want to delete your own posts, you should be able to.

Everyone here has the right to delete their own posts, and criticising someone for exercising their right to do so is poor form.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 05:49:03 am by EEVblog »

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #1255 on: November 13, 2013, 05:46:51 am »
Another great moment of reverse engineering event documented live in this forum, thanks Mike.  :-+

Meanwhile, and again, when everytimes I watched great forum thread such like this one, just worry it might be locked or gone because of cease & desist .. love letter Dave received from lawyer.  :-//

Time to save or update an OFFLINE version of this thread.  ;)
What? You mean you didn't mirror this thread and the entire Flir firmware exe/zip/iso/pdf collection?  :o

That post meant for provoking a further mass generation of the off-line mirrors, silly.  :box:

>:D  >:D  >:D

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #1256 on: November 13, 2013, 05:51:46 am »
Admins should restore the threads deleted posts IMO. Let him stand by what he said

That is:
a) Not possible. SMF does not keep deleted posts. Once you delete them, they are gone. Technically I could get them from the site daily backup and hack the database and exact and it would take hours or days to do. In the next 5 days they will be gone completely.

b) Not what I want. I have deliberately left the option to delete your own posts turned on since the introduction of this forum. Because I think that if you really want to delete your own posts, you should be able to.

Everyone here has the right to delete their own posts, and criticising someone for exercising their right to do so is poor form.

Sorry for going off-topic, but I think there should be some sort of indicator that a post has been deleted. Something like "This post has been deleted by (the user|a moderator)" would do.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1257 on: November 13, 2013, 05:56:56 am »
What? You mean you didn't mirror this thread and the entire Flir firmware exe/zip/iso/pdf collection?  :o

That post meant for provoking a further mass generation of the off-line mirrors, silly.  :box:

>:D  >:D  >:D

RAWRRRRRR!!! You just had to remind me. :P

I have it to page 65 or so before the big delete. After that I got sloppy and/or too preoccupied with mucking about with my E4. :P

Offline Loafdude

• Contributor
« Reply #1258 on: November 13, 2013, 06:02:56 am »

That is:

Fair enough. I disagree that being able to delete posts is a good idea but its not my forum  ;D
Considering that this is one of the finest forums on the 'net I have to sit back and consider that I'm likely wrong as well.
Thank you for spending your time running this forum. I personally appreciate it.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #1259 on: November 13, 2013, 06:09:13 am »
Please consider the self post deletion feature only available through request by mod/admin, cause this loophole can be used as an escape goat or worst running out from responsibilities from the damaged made by the poster him/her self.

Hence, this is also the reason why I love to quote using the complete headers with dated and link from the original post. ;)  ...hint...hint..

My 2 carbon resistors worth.

Offline Loafdude

• Contributor
« Reply #1260 on: November 13, 2013, 06:20:30 am »
Please consider the self post deletion feature only available through request by mod/admin, cause this loophole can be used as an escape goat or worst running out from responsibilities from the damaged made by the poster him/her self.

Hence, this is also the reason why I love to quote using the complete headers with dated and link from the original post. ;)  ...hint...hint..

My 2 carbon resistors worth.

the delete button is in the upper right hand corner of your post

Offline tnt

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1261 on: November 13, 2013, 07:03:03 am »
If you're so eager, I posted a possible 30 Hz hack some pages ago that nobody tried on real hw yet :p

Could you summarize it for me please?  ;D I did check your older posts, but no things clicked in terms of a workable idea. So I am probably missing something. Besides sleep.  ;D

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg323991/#msg323991

##EDIT added quote

in appcore.exe, modify the 4 bytes at 0x001016ec from "05 00 a0 e1" to "01 00 a0 e3"

Yup preciely. Note that it's for the binary in 1.18.7.  If you have a newer version you can send me the binary and I can find the new patch location.

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
« Reply #1262 on: November 13, 2013, 07:05:58 am »
This was a milestone:
Post 1000
That is all.
now « Reply #925 on: 08 November 2013, 22:18:00 »

Whoever decides to remove postings, I'm perfectly fine with that - it's their right - but
please stop whining like we're in kindergarden - please behave like an adult - enjoy the
hacks and try to contribute something positive!

Offline ViciousPest

• Contributor
« Reply #1263 on: November 13, 2013, 08:23:16 am »
Just some notes regarding "Exportable framerates" (taken from simlar specsheet):
7.5 Hz (NTSC 30/60Hz) = factor 60Hz div 8
8.3 Hz (PAL 25/50Hz) = factor 50Hz div 6

EDIT: Measured update rate@display: 9 Hz

... and my E4 has just arrived!
Code: [Select]
.version.swcombination.fullver text "os16.0.10_appkit1.0.13_prodkit1.0.0.7"
.version.swcombination.ver text "1.18.7"

@64bit drivers: they auto-add windows-firewall-rules to allow inbound connections to flir processes

Update: mod successful
@Comparison.png: images blown out of scale by my software :)

Doing some perusing and stumbled on this...How did you test the frame rate? (Is there some way to get notified when edits occur or when thread gets updated?)

EDIT:
Coincidentally last person to post is who I quoted lol  ;D
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 08:24:55 am by ViciousPest »

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1264 on: November 13, 2013, 09:04:48 am »
in appcore.exe, modify the 4 bytes at 0x001016ec from "05 00 a0 e1" to "01 00 a0 e3"

Hm, I don't see (yet) how you got to that loc - but I can take a guess where you started looking :)
The function cascade starting at sub_111ED4 would be my best guess as it branches to a debugprint at loc_11227C:
LDR     R0, =aIs30hzallowedA ; "is30HzAllowed - ArtNo:%s Rev:%d Allowed"...
MOV     R3, R4
BL      NKDbgPrintfW
... that beeing just a debug YES/NO output function

Attachment: just for educational purposes :)

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1265 on: November 13, 2013, 09:08:38 am »
Doing some perusing and stumbled on this...How did you test the frame rate? (Is there some way to get notified when edits occur or when thread gets updated?)
High-framerate recording (200fps) of the screen while moving the camera in front of a high contrast object, then computing timestamp-differences between changing frames for some 2 seconds of video - lastly applying median on table and a crosscheck on whole time vs. framecount ;)

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1266 on: November 13, 2013, 09:13:13 am »
are the hot/cold spot measurements now quicker with 30Hz? I noticed that they are pretty slow in regular mode and also the reaction of the camera inside the menus (e.g. Color selection) is pretty slow.

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1267 on: November 13, 2013, 09:17:55 am »
are the hot/cold spot measurements now quicker with 30Hz? I noticed that they are pretty slow in regular mode and also the reaction of the camera inside the menus (e.g. Color selection) is pretty slow.
First: Nothing changed to 30Hz yet
Second: The measurement interval can be customized and is deliberately set to 3Hz by default

# speed frequency of measuring temperatures (0.1 ... 100) in Hz
rset .image.measure.frequency 9
rset .image.measure.realFrequency 9

Plase note: Hz range just denomintates the technically possible value-range (maybe %?), not necessarily something sane :)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1268 on: November 13, 2013, 09:25:05 am »
Fair enough. I disagree that being able to delete posts is a good idea but its not my forum  ;D

It's not my forum either really, it's our forum.
I will go with majority. Feel free to set up a poll, and if a big majority want to remove the ability to delete your own posts, then I'll disable it.
Note: I don't think this forum has a timed edit feature, i.e. the ability to edit your posts for a set time, then you can't any more.
That means that the edit feature remains on, and instead of deleting, people can just edit their post to remove all info anyway.

Offline tnt

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1269 on: November 13, 2013, 09:36:19 am »

Hm, I don't see (yet) how you got to that loc - but I can take a guess where you started looking :)
The function cascade starting at sub_111ED4 would be my best guess as it branches to a debugprint at loc_11227C:
LDR     R0, =aIs30hzallowedA ; "is30HzAllowed - ArtNo:%s Rev:%d Allowed"...
MOV     R3, R4
BL      NKDbgPrintfW
... that beeing just a debug YES/NO output function

If you look closer you will see that this function returns a value 1/0 depending on the printed value.

Then go look where that function is called and you will notice that depending on that value, it will write either 9 or 30 to a variable, which is then used to trigger a write to a FPGA register.

The patch just makes the function return a constant rather that the real result.

Cheers,

Sylvain

Offline London Lad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1270 on: November 13, 2013, 09:37:09 am »
My E4 arrived (from PASS in the UK) a few mins ago.

I wont have a chance to check the firmware ver till later today but will post as soon as I do.

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #1271 on: November 13, 2013, 09:37:43 am »
Aurora apparently had issues with his employer. This is not an uncommon issue...
None of Aurora's posts had any directly useful hack info so nothing significant has been lost.   
I think it is essential that people can edit and delete posts. I frequently edit my posts to correct errors & typos.
For long threads like this which may be skimmed by people looking for info, it is essential  that stuff can be edited to eliminate information that was speculative at the time and subsequently found to be incorrect or potentially harmful.
If people know they can't delete stuff they may be discouraged to post in the first place.
Can we get back on topic now please

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline JockeT

• Contributor
« Reply #1272 on: November 13, 2013, 09:39:10 am »
I received my E4 last Friday however only got around to installing the hack just now (firmware 1.18.7). I stopped work and did the hack after reading that someone tried to install Flir Tools and that they implied that it had been updated to prevent hacking! :scared: Obviously they were mistaken as I had no issues with Flir Tools or doing the hack. :phew:
That was me. I was missing an obvious step in the instructions (including camera.cmd in the zip)

What an improvement in performance! I wasn’t expecting the improvement to be so significant. I’ll definitely be trying Taucher’s menu hacks next. Thanks again to Mike and all the others who made this hack possible.  :-+

Oh, and on a slightly off topic rant... Does anyone else find it annoying how people delete and/or heavily edit their posts after posting? :rant:
My apologies, but i felt that my post didn't contribute anything, and i was pretty quick about deleting it, and there had been no replies to the thread.
It seems it has been overshadowed by Auroras stunt now though.. :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 09:42:11 am by JockeT »

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #1273 on: November 13, 2013, 09:48:14 am »

Doing some perusing and stumbled on this...How did you test the frame rate?
One way to measure would be to view a vane on a variable speed motor and see at what RPM you get a stroboscopic "freeze"
Or maybe even a sig-gen driving a thin wire or small resistor to create a fluctuating heat source

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline _Sin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1274 on: November 13, 2013, 10:25:38 am »
The difference between 9fps and 30fps should be easily visible. Some people have issues telling the difference between 30fps and 60fps, but once you start dropping below 15fps it ought to be pretty obvious.
Programmer with a soldering iron - fear me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf