Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3789074 times)

MrSheep and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #3775 on: February 19, 2014, 03:49:18 pm »
Just a quick note on 1.21.0:
I've received a private inquiry from somebody who's unit has 1.21.0 - so Mike: the've pulled the trigger.

PS/EDIT: Dave's forum print/search functions do crash on this thread (again) ... this thread has broken all limits :)
We could really do with knowing serial no (and dealer) of any 1.21 units encountered, and also late 1.19.8 units to home in on the cutoff - dealers may not know FW versions but serial nos will be on the box.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
« Reply #3776 on: February 19, 2014, 03:55:33 pm »

Offline bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3777 on: February 19, 2014, 04:07:54 pm »
Just a quick note on 1.21.0:
I've received a private inquiry from somebody who's unit has 1.21.0 - so Mike: the've pulled the trigger.

PS/EDIT: Dave's forum print/search functions do crash on this thread (again) ... this thread has broken all limits :)
We could really do with knowing serial no (and dealer) of any 1.21 units encountered, and also late 1.19.8 units to home in on the cutoff - dealers may not know FW versions but serial nos will be on the box.

My uncle got one last week SN639144xx , old firmware.

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3778 on: February 19, 2014, 04:11:05 pm »
@Dave, great to see some alternative software out there, but unfortunately it crashes when I try editing any thermograms from our Flir SC640.

Yes, I did it with my E4, so only tested on E4 images. You can send me your image and I will try to get it work.

As attached!

Offline treefiddy

« Reply #3779 on: February 19, 2014, 04:20:06 pm »
I'm also in for a contribution to get Mike a 1.21.X firmware E4 to work on!

I understand where FLIR is coming from, but I think they are missing out by closing off the firmware.  If they simply made it a *little bit* harder, they would keep all the "toy" buyers and still be able to sell higher versions to corporate/business customers.  Hell, the DOS navigation in the CMD step is enough to prevent most people from accessing the necessary files.  Right now it's too easy, but the average customer still won't modify it.  I, for one, am looking at 10+ units of a competitor, but the mod sells me on the E4 instead.  Wake up, FLIR! You are about to close off a big segment of your current buyers!  Just because your dreaded hack is possible doesn't mean most people will do it.  :rant:

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3780 on: February 19, 2014, 04:47:13 pm »
I understand where FLIR is coming from, but I think they are missing out by closing off the firmware.  If they simply made it a *little bit* harder, they would keep all the "toy" buyers and still be able to sell higher versions to corporate/business customers.
They just did. :)

I actually hope they made it a lot easier. That would prevent a lot of those "Hi! I don't computer, how firmware wrk?" style posts. :P Although the rigol thread is worse in that regard. ;D

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3781 on: February 19, 2014, 04:58:48 pm »
Quick question related to a quick test. Does anyone happen to have the following Win CE 6.0 files for the E4:

redir.dll
net.exe
I just checked my backup and these files are not on my camera.

I also looked in my backup files for the two Mrflibble wanted... can't find them either.  Sorry

Thanks for checking. :) I probably should clarify ... those files are also not on my E4. I didn't lose them or anything, those are just 2 windows CE files that flir decided not to include in their firmware image. I'd like to use those for a little experiment to add some functionality... And since I avoid windoze development like the plague steer clear of windows development as it's not really my cup of tea, I don't have any relevant SDK's lying around.

I'll give it a bit more time hoping someone comes along with those files or point me to the magic SDK/whatever file containing those, and if not ... plan C it is. :P

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3782 on: February 19, 2014, 05:02:27 pm »
Quick question related to a quick test. Does anyone happen to have the following Win CE 6.0 files for the E4:

redir.dll
net.exe
I just checked my backup and these files are not on my camera.

I also looked in my backup files for the two Mrflibble wanted... can't find them either.  Sorry

Thanks for checking. :) I probably should clarify ... those files are also not on my E4. I didn't lose them or anything, those are just 2 windows CE files that flir decided not to include in their firmware image. I'd like to use those for a little experiment to add some functionality... And since I avoid windoze development like the plague steer clear of windows development as it's not really my cup of tea, I don't have any relevant SDK's lying around.

I'll give it a bit more time hoping someone comes along with those files or point me to the magic SDK/whatever file containing those, and if not ... plan C it is. :P

redir.dll is no problem - I have several versions of it - but in my experience binary compatibility (architecture,cpu) is quite important.
I've got a CE VNC server thats running but has protocol problems... too little time (none atm) to hack around.

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3783 on: February 19, 2014, 05:14:46 pm »
Just received via PM (Firmware 1.21.0):

Model: E4 1.1L
Serial (without last two digits) : 639146..
Calibration: Estonia February 7, 2014

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3784 on: February 19, 2014, 05:19:02 pm »
redir.dll is no problem - I have several versions of it - but in my experience binary compatibility (architecture,cpu) is quite important.
LOL! Obviously.  ;D I also have several redir.dll and net.exe's, unfortunately just not for this platform (Win CE 6.0 on an i.MX27).

I've got a CE VNC server thats running but has protocol problems... too little time (none atm) to hack around.

VNC on the E4? If so, neat! :)

Offline daves

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3785 on: February 19, 2014, 05:36:17 pm »
@Dave, great to see some alternative software out there, but unfortunately it crashes when I try editing any thermograms from our Flir SC640.

Yes, I did it with my E4, so only tested on E4 images. You can send me your image and I will try to get it work.

As attached!
Well, I see 640x480, that would be the problem, because I've designed it for 320x240. Let me see if I can do anything about it.
Batch Thermal Images Editor (JPG, BMT, SNP, IRI, ISI, IS2, PGM, TIF, IMG, BMP):  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg350556/#msg350556

Offline daves

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3786 on: February 19, 2014, 05:55:26 pm »
I understand where FLIR is coming from, but I think they are missing out by closing off the firmware.
The real problem are ebay auctions for E8 with price of E5. That would ruin Ex market. I have to agree with FLIR. And to be honest, I see such E8 all over individual local buy&sell servers.
Batch Thermal Images Editor (JPG, BMT, SNP, IRI, ISI, IS2, PGM, TIF, IMG, BMP):  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg350556/#msg350556

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3787 on: February 19, 2014, 05:58:51 pm »
@Taucher.

Thanks for the info on the 1.21.0 camera.

I note the Hardware version 1.1L and not 1.2. L for Locked hardware ?
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3788 on: February 19, 2014, 06:03:41 pm »
@Taucher.

Had the exactly same thought

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3789 on: February 19, 2014, 06:33:55 pm »
Just a short info:
Total commander on the E4... http://tcce.s3.amazonaws.com/b3/ce2/cecmd.arm.cab - this one works on the E4 (I selected the beta version) :)

Code: [Select]
380.416 cecmd.exe
 104.960 ftp.tfx
  13.312 LAN.tfx
  32.256 registry.tfx
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 06:43:23 pm by Taucher »

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3790 on: February 19, 2014, 06:53:38 pm »
@Taucher.

Had the exactly same thought
In keeping with the riglol thread it's probably the LOL revision. And the joke's on us. Well, on those that didn't buy one in time. :P So maybe now you have to open it up and do some jtagging. :-//

And unrelated.... Thanks Taucher, I just tested that CeGCC toolchain you linked to earlier and that works. :) I used mingw32ce-mk-2012-03-13-i386 on a debian squeeze box, and that compiles just fine. I probably still need the SDK because of other dependencies, but this is a good start. :)

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3791 on: February 19, 2014, 07:01:03 pm »
And unrelated.... Thanks Taucher, I just tested that CeGCC toolchain you linked to earlier and that works. :) I used mingw32ce-mk-2012-03-13-i386 on a debian squeeze box, and that compiles just fine. I probably still need the SDK because of other dependencies, but this is a good start. :)

Actually for the first program you won't need any SDK :)

Hello.cpp:
#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
    printf("Hello World!\n");
    return 0;
}

Compile:
arm-mingw32ce-gcc -v -o hello.exe hello.cpp

copy exe to E4 and enjoy ;)
\FlashIFS\test>hello.exe
Hello World!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 07:03:26 pm by Taucher »

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3792 on: February 19, 2014, 07:02:37 pm »
Heh, nice snapshot. That explains your need for VNC. ;)

Alternatively you could try to set PPP_PEER and then use cerdisp -c.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3793 on: February 19, 2014, 07:04:40 pm »

I know, hence my earlier "compiles just fine". The hello world compiles & runs fine. :) But hello world doesn't do funky stuff. ;)

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3794 on: February 19, 2014, 07:24:26 pm »

I know, hence my earlier "compiles just fine". The hello world compiles & runs fine. :) But hello world doesn't do funky stuff. ;)
Yes, a <windows.h> include is likely to help a lot :)

PS: http://www.pudn.com/downloads196/sourcecode/embed/detail923332.html# <- cool, seems like cerhost and cerdisp sourcecode :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 07:26:29 pm by Taucher »

Offline daves

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3795 on: February 19, 2014, 07:55:27 pm »

As attached!
Well, fixed for you.

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3796 on: February 19, 2014, 07:59:09 pm »
FOUND A WORKING VNC SOLUTION!
http://efonvnc.sourceforge.net/ (big THX!)

Tested with Ultavnc as client on PC.
Note: before you can connect you'll need to run vncconfig and disable PW auth (can be done with the cursor keys).
Then start winvnc via telnet and connect to your E4 over VNC  >:D

Note: The IR-Image will not be displayed as it's an overlay/alpha-key - it shows as BLACK - that's ok

EDIT: Added more screenshots - using windows\control.exe one can rename the camera to a more neutral name :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 08:23:14 pm by Taucher »

Offline treefiddy

« Reply #3797 on: February 19, 2014, 10:45:22 pm »
I understand where FLIR is coming from, but I think they are missing out by closing off the firmware.
The real problem are ebay auctions for E8 with price of E5. That would ruin Ex market. I have to agree with FLIR. And to be honest, I see such E8 all over individual local buy&sell servers.

Yes, this would be a problem.  Shouldn't that be illegal?  Modifying for your own use is one thing, but selling the modification should be against the EULAetc.  You'd think FLIR could get ebay to shut that down.

Speaking with retailers, they also think FLIR is dropping the ball by knocking out the hack.  They certainly enjoyed the extra sales too.  There's a way for FLIR to embrace and take advantage of this rather than fight it... must be a pride thing.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 10:48:47 pm by treefiddy »

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3798 on: February 19, 2014, 10:54:21 pm »
Just a short info:
Total commander on the E4... http://tcce.s3.amazonaws.com/b3/ce2/cecmd.arm.cab - this one works on the E4 (I selected the beta version) :)

380.416 cecmd.exe
 104.960 ftp.tfx
  13.312 LAN.tfx
  32.256 registry.tfx

Did you just use wceload to install that cab?

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #3799 on: February 19, 2014, 11:11:13 pm »
but selling the modification should be against the EULAetc.  You'd think FLIR could get ebay to shut that down.
What EULA?

If someone were to buy something, upgrade it and relabel & resell under their own brand name I'm not sure there's a lot the original maker could do about it - probably depends a lot on local laws. Being covered by export regs might complicate matters
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf