Author Topic: Flir E40 Upgrade & Configuration  (Read 170349 times)

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: Flir E40 Upgrade & Configuration
« Reply #175 on: September 06, 2017, 11:28:55 am »
Well I have carefully studied the "fully loaded" configuration files that caused my E40 to not store the IR image data in saved image files. The only thing that looks possibly responsible for the issue is the addition of two configuration lines to the image fusion section. I suspect that they may be MSX related ? As my MK1 camera cannot provide MSX, they are spurious. There is also the fact that I applied the configuration files of a later firmware to an early 1.33 firmware. That may not have been such a good idea  ;D

Wow there are a lot of options for image measurement and analysis that are not activated in the standard E60 configuration. I suspect these are used in the T6xx cameras as more advanced thermography tools. I shall be considering which of the functions I actually need and will activate them. I certainly do not need the health screening options ! Enabling options that are not actually needed can make the menu's too 'busy'.

When I updated the firmware on my camera from 1.33 to 2.23 all went without a hitch. The update produces a comprehensive, commented, log of its activities during the process. That made interesting reading. None of the configuration files that we changed to upgrade to an E60 spec are changed by the firmware update. Hence why the resolution hack sticks even after a FW update. It is interesting that the firmware update clearly identifies my camera as an E40 model before starting the update though. The fact that the configuration files are identified as E60 makes no difference. I suspect that the camera model is held in an eeprom along with the serial number, as in the E4. No need to mess with that though. The camera does not care.

This is the first time I have actively delved into the Exx series file system. It has been interesting. If anyone wants to see the firmware update log, I will upload it. It is purely for interest as it just shows the various checks and balances that the irmware updated carries out before actually changing anything, and its final checks before rebooting the camera. It looks a pretty robust firmware update system to avoid bricking cameras. It even checks if the camera is on external power or has enough battery charge to proceed !

Fraser

« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 12:06:00 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #176 on: September 06, 2017, 11:35:57 am »
Whilst reading through this E40 thread I saw some configuration files that people were uploading to upgrade the resolution. The files still had the target noise generator set active and at level 40. I hope all of you who upgraded your cameras changed this setting to inactive (false) and set the level to 0 (not strictly necessary as the false setting disables the noise generator).

Changing this configuration entry removes 40mK of false noise from your camera and improves the image quality, especially at small temperature spans.

I thought I would just mention this in case no one had done so previously in this thread.

Fraser

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #177 on: September 07, 2017, 09:13:38 pm »
Thank you for all the input here Fraser!
I remember you were trying to get a tripod adapter for the E40 and that you were not satisfied with the original Flir adapter. I did not see the outcome of it - I might have missed it. May I ask if you found a solution for Exx and tripod? Thanks!

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #178 on: September 07, 2017, 09:56:54 pm »
Hiya,

No I have yet to create a tripod adapter with which I am satisfied. The issue is that unless the adapter grips the sides of the camera, it is possible for the camera to rotate around the single M5 mounting screw that FLIR elected to use. They could have designed a far better mount point, like the Picatinny rail.

I was given the official FLIR mount by a friend who no longer needed it. So I do have a means to attach the camera to a tripod. I shall continue to develop a better solution though.

Fraser
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 09:58:49 pm by Fraser »

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #179 on: September 08, 2017, 08:08:43 am »
Whilst reading through this E40 thread I saw some configuration files that people were uploading to upgrade the resolution. The files still had the target noise generator set active and at level 40.

Yes, two years ago we had a hard discussion in this forum about this topic.

with bash/cmd set noise to zero
Code: [Select]
rset .caps.config.image.targetNoise.targetNoiseMk  0 (MilliKelvin)
... and compare my E40 (without MSX) with your E40
(25°C room temperature)
service menu / diagnostic / noise test
Code: [Select]
Temporal noise        MilliKelvin      Digital Units
Pixel Noise      19.85      3.93
Row Noise         6.39      1.26
Column Noise      8.64      1.71

Spatial noise        MilliKelvin      Digital Units
Pixel Noise      18.98      3.76
Row Noise         4.70      0.93
Column Noise      5.54      1.10
Uniformity      210.23      41.63

Total noise        MilliKelvin      Digital Units
Pixel Noise      28.96      5.73
Row Noise         5.76      1.14
Column Noise      7.66      1.52

compare with 60mk noise
rset .caps.config.image.targetNoise.targetNoiseMk  60 (MilliKelvin)

Temporal noise        MilliKelvin      Digital Units
Pixel Noise      61.28      12.13
Row Noise        14.84      2.94
Column Noise     13.67      2.71

Spatial noise        MilliKelvin      Digital Units
Pixel Noise      25.69      5.09
Row Noise         7.08      1.40
Column Noise      7.82      1.55
Uniformity      198.23     39.25

Total noise        MilliKelvin      Digital Units
Pixel Noise       67.01     13.27
Row Noise          9.71      1.92
Column Noise      10.10      2.00
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 08:12:17 am by tomas123 »

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #180 on: September 08, 2017, 08:17:53 am »
Well I have carefully studied the "fully loaded" configuration files that caused my E40 to not store the IR image data in saved image files. The only thing that looks possibly responsible for the issue is the addition of two configuration lines to the image fusion section. I suspect that they may be MSX related

As far as I remember, my E40 (non MSX) had the same behavior with activated msx over a configuration file.
I think, the computation-intensive MSX overlay is coded in hardware by a DSP.
Therefore the MSX feature can't added by a software update.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #181 on: September 09, 2017, 10:26:58 pm »
An update on the upgrade of my E40 camera.

I have now enabled just about all of the extended features on this camera. It now has many features not normally found on the standard E60  :) The enablement of the features created no problems for the camera at all and it is working very well.

The two configuration files that I have been working with are attached for readers interest. They are simple to set up but not all the features appear to actually appear on the cameras menu's.

Has anyone managed to use the following features on their Exx camera please ?

GUI configuration file

1. Panorama mode. No menu option appears in the camera mode menu that contains Camera, Video and Program options.
2. Fastshoot mode  No idea what this mode can actually do.
3. PIP locked ? No idea what that actually is intended to do.
4. Presets - User presets for measurements (macro's if you prefer) I have the Preset menu option but no preset configuration entry in the setup menu.

Fraser
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 11:22:08 pm by Fraser »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #182 on: September 10, 2017, 09:15:27 pm »
I have now finalised my APP and GUI configuration files to provide all useful functions on my camera.

I ended up disabling the weird cryptic settings as they are not needed. I also disabled the User Presets as they cannot be configured with the current menu structure. Some functions invoke menu 'buttons' whilst I believe some of the more exotic functions would need 'buttons' to be added to the standard Menus with further file modifications, as with the E4.

I attach my two configuration files in case anyone has need of them. I have basically enabled all that is available to use on the E40 camera and it is working perfectly as an E60+. I am very pleased with the upgraded cameras capabilities and performance  :-+

The PIP lock function did what it says ... it prevented moving and resizing of the PIP thermal overlay image. Not a desirable option to activate. Sadly Radiometric video recording also proved to not be available even if activated in the configuration.

Fraser
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 09:25:37 pm by Fraser »

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #183 on: September 11, 2017, 12:03:34 pm »
Thank you Fraser for the feedback and buyers guide to the E40.

How about the E40bx
Can it also be hacked the same way?

The only difference between the E40 and the E40bx seems to be the temperature range, right?
- E40 =up to 1202 °F (650 °C)
- E40bx =up to 248 °F (120 °C)

Anything else, that speaks for or against the E40bx?

Thank for any feedback.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #184 on: September 11, 2017, 12:33:54 pm »
HighVoltage

according to my quick investigation it can be hacked.
Also the Thermal Sensitivity is different  <0.045°C vs  <0.07°C   (not bx versions)...

The 120°C spec could be a limit for soldering/preheating... I would prefer the 250°C like the E4...

PS: >:D, Good luck!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 12:52:55 pm by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #185 on: September 11, 2017, 01:01:43 pm »
Thermal sensitivity on these cameras is a product of the microbolometer, lens and the FLIR false noise generator. The microbolometer and lens remain the constant with FLIR tweaking the added noise for each model spec. The noise generator gets switched off as part of the upgrade so you have the best available NETD that the hardware can provide. Calibration is unaffected.

Fraser

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #186 on: September 11, 2017, 01:09:55 pm »
Highvoltage,

As Zucca stars, the E40bx can be upgraded to E60bx specification and beyond. It cannot have its temperature range simply increased though as the factory did not calibrate the higher temperature mode.
The bx has some building thermography specific modes enabled but these are easily enabled on a standard camera as well.

Fraser

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #187 on: September 11, 2017, 01:53:49 pm »
Highvoltage,

As Zucca stars, the E40bx can be upgraded to E60bx specification and beyond. It cannot have its temperature range simply increased though as the factory did not calibrate the higher temperature mode.
Mmmmh - I read the above statement several times in different threads and I was always wondering, where this information came from, as my modded E30bx is able to work with higher temperatures. I just need to change the settings (at menu 'settings, temperature range' from -40°C - +120°C  to the setting 0°C - 650°C

Look at my examples. I attached 2 files:
1) JBC soldering iron set to 360°C (bottom: reflection from the working area)
2) hot air reworking station (air exit) set to 500°C (which is the maximum I can set it to).

The E30bx (after modding it is reporting E60bx) works like a charm.

Should I call me lucky that Flir did calibrate my unit? Maybe this is the case as my unit also contains Wifi and Bluetooth modules which were not working when it was a E30bx but which are working now after modding it to a E60. Does other units do not have this temperature selection menu available?

Please note: the information "FOV 45°" (lower left corner) is wrong in this case. I did not install the wide-angle lens and forgot to change the setting at the camera (unfortunately the Flir cannot detect a lens change automatically).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 01:55:33 pm by Pinkus »

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #188 on: September 11, 2017, 02:37:41 pm »
Well in the first picture the closest number I see to 360 is "Max 347", in the second one is "Max. 502" regarding the 500.
As there is so much going on with metal surface and emissivity coeff. I would not trust your experiments as proof everything is working like a charm.

As I know you need a thermocouple and a black surface hot body to do a proper test.

Anyway good to know there is a temp. range setting you can change.

Now I step back and let the experts tell their opinions on this.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #189 on: September 11, 2017, 02:51:31 pm »
From what I understand, the bx series is shipped with an accurate calibration table for range 1 but range 2 calibration table is at default settings. These are correction tables so even the default values will likely not be miles out, but they will be unclaibrated values.

A significant cost in thermal camera production is the calibration of each camera. No two cameras are identical so quality cameras are individually calibrated in a large multi-Black body calibration rig. Each calibration run takes time so by missing out the range 2 calibration cycle, time and money is saved. From FLIR's perspective, why calibrate a range that is not normally accessible ? It is not like the bulk production of a single PCB for multiple versions of a camera.

I am very pleased that you have proven that the bx does actually permit the second range to be selected. I will be helping a bx owner upgrade their camera soon and was unsure whether the second range would be available for him to select.

IIRC Chanc3 reported that he sent an upgraded bx camera for calibration checking. It failed calibration checks because the second range was enabled and so checked by the calibration house. It was found to be inaccurate, leading to a calibration check fail. Chanc3 may have more insight into the level than f temperature error that was found.

I would never want to mislead anyone into thinking that enabling a non calibrated temperature range will provide correct imaging or measurements. Working uncalibrated is something the user needs to carefully consider. If 'just' an image is needed, I do not see any great problems. If reasonably accurate temperature readings are needed in an uncalibrated range, I would recommend a simple calibration check at various temperatures using a variable temperature soldering iron with dull tip and a thermocouple thermometer monitoring surface temperature. Soldering iron tip temperatures are not known for high accuracy unless carefully calibrated on the base station.

In summary, I am really pleased to hear that the second temperature range is available on the bx. Is it's accuracy predictable ? I suspect not, but happy to be proved wrong. FLIR use decent Microbolometers so the baseline default calibration table entries may be pretty close to those after formal calibration.

There is, of course the matter of the SERVICE MENU and what it can do for you  :)  But that's another story  :)

Fraser
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 03:20:13 pm by Fraser »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #190 on: September 11, 2017, 02:58:37 pm »
Some pictures of the calibration rigs at FLIR. I saw one with a row of E2's lined up for calibration but I can't find a picture of it to upload.

Fraser

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #191 on: September 11, 2017, 03:01:50 pm »
For me, usually the temperature difference is important as the Flir is not very accurate anyway (±2°C or ±2% of reading according to the datasheet).  At 500°C this makes plus/minus 10°C. I would not use a thermal camera for checking if the soldering iron is having the correct temp.

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #192 on: September 11, 2017, 03:07:54 pm »
I think that the E30 with Wifi module might be calibrated. I suspect that Flir at one time produced the cameras in batches for stock and then -depending on the market need- just reinstalled the needed configuration files for E30, E30bx, E40, etc. up to E60. If somebody tolds me where the configuration files are (I have no time right now for searching), I can try to upload it here. Then it should be easy to check it against others to see if there is a common default file or if they are all different.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #193 on: September 11, 2017, 03:45:20 pm »
Very good information on the bx version, thank you everyone.
Especially that the temperature range can be changed is very helpful.

The one that was offered to me by another company has the serial number 4903xxxx
and is allegedly from 2013 with FW 2.19 installed

On the Flir download site I see different firmware updates for the following ranges:
- P/N 785xx-xxxx
- P/N 490xx-xxxx
- P/N 645xx-xxxx
- P/N 646xx-xxxx

Since the one offered to me falls right in to the second category, is that good, bad or may be does not matter?

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #194 on: September 11, 2017, 03:54:33 pm »
According to here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e40-upgrade-configuration/msg561542/#msg561542

it's the one without MSX, me and Fraser like these ones more then the MSX others.

FW can go up to 2.23.14 if I understood correctly.

The bx is not for me. I mean I have already a calibrated E4, a Exxbx would be a step back at the end.
Of course if you just need an rough idea where the temperatures are, then a bx with the high range selected can do the job, Pinkus is right.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #195 on: September 11, 2017, 03:55:25 pm »
The firmware is the key here. My MK1 E40 came with firmware 1.33 that I updated to the last available for the MK1, that was version 2.23. Firmware 2.23 is complete and not messed about with by FLIR. Firmware update is painless and uses an SD card loaded with the firmware update file.

The firmware sets what can, and cannot be done to the cameras configuration. Even the MK2 can be upgraded to E60 spec, but it lacks the service menu. You should be fine with firmware 2.19. FLIR did not mess around with the Exx firmware as they have with the more common E4.

There are three versions of the MK1 that I know of. The final version has plastic/rubber side doors that hingle forward rather than up. My MK1 Gen 2 has the original "gull wing" side door design.

Fraser
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 03:57:06 pm by Fraser »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #196 on: September 11, 2017, 03:59:42 pm »
To come from me shortly in this thread......

1. An explanation of the various options that may be enabled in the Exx firmware. They are all listed in the configuration files but do you all know what they are ? For those who do not, I will try to explain. Some do remain a mystery though!

2. Close-up lenses and the Exx camera series. Can a close-up lens be easily attached to the Exx and is there vignetting ? We will find out :)

Fraser
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 04:02:27 pm by Fraser »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #197 on: September 11, 2017, 05:55:51 pm »
Test of some close-up lenses mounted on the E40(E60+) completed  :)

Not surprisingly the professional Inframetrics and Agema/FLIR lenses performed best but then they are almost 60mm diameter of high quality Germanium ! They also cost a small fortune. I include them as a reference only and not a serious proposition for many Exx camera owners.

Mounting a close-up lens on the Exx series :

Fortunately the Exx series standard 18mm lens has a parallel lens barrel plus a rubber grip sleeve that extends beyond the lens barrel chassis. There is no threaded section inside the lens barrel. There are many options for mounting an auxilliary lens to such a lens barrel but the two that come to mind are:

a) A friction fit inside the rubber lens surround.
b) A slip on type lens holder that mimics the fitting of the rubber lens cap. Many sizes of rubber and plastic push on lens caps are available on ebay for very little money. Look for binocular lens caps as well as camera lens caps. Binoculars tend to use push on lens caps more often that cameras do. The close-up lens may then be mounted directly into a suitable hole cut into the lens cap, or first mounted into a threaded lens holder before that is fitted into the lens cap hole. This is my preferred mounting method for auxiliary lenses. Suitable threaded lens holders for 19mm and 20mm lenses can often be found on ebay as they are a vintage photographic accessory. They are often cheap.

I elected to make a cardboard lens holder tat was pushed into the rubber lens surround. It worked a treat but I would likely go down the lens cap rout for a more long term solution.

The test piece for the images :

I wanted a simple test piece that had at least one small SMD component that presented a decent target for the camera and that was representative of what would be imaged on the test bench. I found an old ADSL USB modem that fitted the bill nicely.

The chosen component on it was a nice warm 5 pin SMD device for which I will provide dimensions. I will also provide the dimensions of the whole PCB as a reference. I will also provide other images of the PCB and an overall image taken with the E60 at closest manual focus with no close-up lens fitted.

The lenses tested:

1. 20mm diameter 100mm (4") FL ZnSe Planar Convex from China. Normally used in CO2 Laser cutters.
2. Inframetrics 60mm diameter 300MM (12") FL Close-up lens - Germanium
3. Inframetrics 60mm diameter 150MM (6") FL Close-up lens - Germanium
4. Agema/FLIR 55mm diameter 150mm (6") FL Close-up lens - Germanium
5. EEV ARGUS 2 rear Germanium lens element - Spec unknown. Aperture 25mm
6. EEV ARGUS 2 front Germanium lens element - Spec unknown. Aperture 20mm

Test PCB Dimensions: 98mm x 63mm

5 pin SMD (PCB ID: U7) component dimensions :
Plastic case : 2.94mm x 1.7mm
Across full width of pins: 3.16mm

Resistor (PCB ID: R8) Dimensions
Case including solder areas 3.24mm x 1.55mm

Pictures to follow .... time for my tea now  :)

Fraser
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 06:48:53 pm by Fraser »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #198 on: September 11, 2017, 05:58:20 pm »
Lens 1 - 20mm diameter 100mm FL Znse
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 06:34:09 pm by Fraser »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor