Author Topic: Flir E40 Upgrade & Configuration  (Read 169231 times)

Offline Serpiph

• Contributor
Re: Flir E40 Upgrade & Configuration
« Reply #225 on: October 31, 2017, 08:02:53 pm »
And my configuration parameters in camera menu

Offline mikhail076

• Contributor
« Reply #226 on: November 15, 2017, 07:46:33 pm »
pls can anybody share
flir_exx_pn645_pn646_v3.12.7_update_pack.zip
once again?

thx

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #227 on: January 13, 2018, 04:44:26 pm »
New firmware release for Exx series MK1  :o

An I nteresting development..... So FLIR released an updated firmware for the old Exx MK1 series in September 2017 !

Me thinks that unusual as they have ignored the earlier Exx series for years  >:(

Under no circumstances install firmware 2.26 if you are intending to upgrade. It very likely has some nasty surprises inside it.

Anyone interested in this new firmware can download it on the FLIR support site.

http://flir.custhelp.com/app/account/fl_download_software

Fraser
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 04:46:52 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #228 on: January 13, 2018, 04:46:15 pm »
I'll give this a go on our E60 - see what happens! Will verify if I get locked out of the backend.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #229 on: January 13, 2018, 04:50:04 pm »
Cheers Chanc3   :-+

It seems strange that FLIR would release any form of upgrade on such an old platform. I have to wonder whether it contains anti-upgrade 'devices' or deletion of the service menu.

I await your findings with interest  :)

Fraser

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #230 on: January 13, 2018, 04:50:37 pm »
I'll give this a go on our E60 - see what happens! Will verify if I get locked out of the backend.
I'm not sure if FLIR include release notes or change log? Does anyone know?

As a general rule of thumb I never upgrade firmware/software unless there is a relatively detailed one!

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #231 on: January 13, 2018, 04:53:00 pm »
The only comments I have received from FLIR on a particular firmware update was

"Minor bug fixes plus some housekeeping stuff"

The "housekeeping stuff" was actually changes made to make the upgrade harder for us !

Fraser

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #232 on: January 14, 2018, 03:05:14 pm »
In case anyone needs it, I have uploaded Mk1 Exx firmware 2.23 here:

http://www.filedropper.com/flirexxpn490v22314updatepack1

Fraser

The following users thanked this post: Pinkus, Zucca

Offline Paw85

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #233 on: February 23, 2018, 07:08:24 pm »
I hope I'm posting this in the correct thread as I was unable to find a general Exx thread.

I'm working on a "ful-hack" as we swedes call it, an ugly but working solution to a problem.
It removes Flir logo and set jpg quality to 100% after coldboot automagically.

This ful-hack is designed for Exx v1.0 and v1.1 (P/N:490xx) with firmware 2.23.14 or earlier.

The only way found to do this that I had found previously was to boot camera, connect via telenet and manually input the commands, EVERY time cold-booting the imager.

Noticed that it was possible for us with a Exx v1.0 and v1.1 to edit the applaunch files and finding that out, made it possible to launch a batch file located on the root of the SD card.
This made it possible to get the camera to cold-boot, and load the commands to remove logo and set jpg quality, without an external computer.
It's also possible to exchange the batch file on the SD card after the imager has finished running the commands in it, so no need to FTP stuff to it to change the commands either.

Please note that these are "beta" files, they have worked every single time on my imager, but I do not know how they act on other individuals, but you can open the files yourself in notepad and inspect them, they do not contain any commands that should damage the camera.
Also, if you decide you dont want to run the batch file for the time being, you dont need to edit the applaunch, just rename or remove the batch file from SD card, and applaunch will just fail to start it without any issues following.

Warning: Do NOT do this if you got a Exx v2.0 P/N:645xx (with MSX), and dont hold me responsible if you mess things up please :)

Installation:
* Connect via RNDIS and FTP to camera, make a backup of your own applaunch file in FlashFS/system/ and replace the applaunch file attached (Or just add the following command at the end of your own applaunch file: "cmd /C \StorageCard\boot_inject.cmd"
* Place the "boot_inject.cmd" file in the root of your SD card.
* Done!

Now simply cold-boot the imager by either removing the battery or holding the power button for ~15 sec, and then start it again.
You will notice that the keypad start flashing after ~30-40 seconds, this is to show a confirmation that the batch file has loaded and is running as it should.

Future update?
Are there any other rset commands you folks usually use on your imager that you wish could be launched every single time you coldboot your Exx?
I'm willing to try more things, but the logo and jpg quality is so far the ones I've managed to find most useful.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 07:21:23 pm by Paw85 »

The following users thanked this post: cuda12, jslashr

Offline Spirit532

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #234 on: February 23, 2018, 07:23:56 pm »
I hope I'm posting this in the correct thread as I was unable to find a general Exx thread.

I'm working on a "ful-hack" as we swedes call it, an ugly but working solution to a problem.
It removes Flir logo and set jpg quality to 100% after coldboot automagically.

A biiiiiiit late on that one :)
I'm working on a full hack menu that will support the Ex/Exx/Txxx series cameras, which includes both of your features already.
Take a look here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-t440bx-hacking-firmware-investigation-possible-ultramax-support-for-exx/25/
I'm looking for people to test it on the Exx, so PM me your Skype username if you want to join.

The following users thanked this post: cuda12

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #235 on: February 23, 2018, 07:44:47 pm »
Paw85,

Many thanks for developing this option for the Exx series. It is much appreciated. These are likely the only additional upgrades I would want on my camera so it is a good fit for my use. I will test it as soon as I return from a short trip away.

On the multi parallel thread development front for these cameras, I actually like the fact that people develop their own modifications as this generates both user choice and potentially different upgrades and techniques.

Paw85 is coming up with some excellent projects for Exx owners. I, for one, thank him for this effort, as I do anyone who offers their time to develop code and processes for the rest of us. Keep it up  :-+

Fraser

Offline Paw85

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #236 on: February 23, 2018, 07:49:53 pm »
A biiiiiiit late on that one :)

Yes, I have seen pictures of the menu but believe there are difference.
This solution is available right now and is fully transparent to the user on how it works as the code is easily viewed with a simple text editor and can be edited if the user wishes to add more rset commands upon boot.

I'm probably damaged from a previous bad experience running a "hack" application on a device that bricked it, a bit early for me to try your solution, but once the source code is released and can be reviewed  and software proven to work I may give it a go.
I do appreciate your efforts on developing the hack menu though, as it works on several devices, not just the early Exx models that my little code work on :)

Many thanks for developing this option for the Exx series. It is much appreciated. These are likely the only additional upgrades I would want on my camera so it is a good fit for my use. I will test it as soon as I return from a short trip away.

Let me know how it goes! Since we have almost identical devices it hopefully should not be any issues as boot sequence running the same firmware should be identical.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 08:14:45 pm by Paw85 »

Offline Spirit532

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #237 on: February 23, 2018, 08:14:15 pm »
I'm not planning on releasing the source code(at least publicly), mostly to prevent it being stolen and/or sold(see eBay for dozens $100+ upgrade listings and E4s sold as E8s).
As for safety, it should be completely safe because I'm limiting the hack to only use native WinCE 5.0 features(the cameras run 6.0) and to only do runtime changes - nothing is permanently changed in flash, so if something goes wrong it's just a matter of rebooting the camera.
The camera features are set the same way as the batch file, via rset, as there is no easy other way to do it(would involve reverse-engineering and uncertainty across FW versions).

Right now it's been tested to work on an early(2012) T440bx and the latest liberated(Wi-Fi) E4.
I won't be releasing it publicly until it's tested to work with the Exx series, as the T440bx->E4 port required some modification.

The invitation was to test under supervision to ensure compatibility, but fair enough.

Offline Paw85

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #238 on: February 23, 2018, 10:15:36 pm »
Fraser;
I used your config files for the Exx, but never managed to get the graph with line measurement to work properly, the lower part of the screen turned dark, numbers changed to the left, but there was no graph drawn.
Are you experiencing the same?
I did find a solution that got it working on mine at least unit, in appcore config, change setting .caps.config.image.sysimg.measureFuncs.mline.maxCount int32 to value 1 instead of 5.
Doing this got the graph displayed, and all other functionality appear intact as well.

Do you know the reason this was set to 5 in the config, and is it working in your unit set to 5?
(All other measurement settings are working well with your config, even the other ones that are set to 5 like circle, spot and box)

EDIT: Have now found out that if adding as many lines as the maxCount, I can now get graphs of the lines, but they all display the same graph, and it's all the last in count (so basically graphs are set to display the values from line 5, if not having 5 lines, it will display nothing, no matter to which line they belong.
At least on my unit, appears best to just set it to 1 to get graph functionality, not sure when Ill have use of more than 1 line measurement :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 10:34:21 pm by Paw85 »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #239 on: February 23, 2018, 11:59:43 pm »
Paw85,

Yes I had the same issue but did not investigate it further and got distracted. Thank you for looking into this. I think the 5 was the default value in the configuration and I did not change it. I just assumed that this function, like some others, did not work on the Exx hardware. I will change mine to 1 as well.

Another mode that I tried but later disabled, was panorama. This just puts up guide lines to assist the user when panning the camera in order to maintain the 'horizon' position. I enabled it but no lines appeared so I suspect a change is needed in another system file for the overlay function. No great loss though. There was a function called 'fast... something that no one seems to know much about. It also failed to do anything when enabled.

Many thanks for your work on the Exx. It is one of my favourite thermal cameras :). I still need to design some lens mounting adapters to adapt my Fluke Tele2 X2 afocal lens bayonet mount to the Exx bayonet socket. That is still a priority once other important jobs are completed on other projects.

Fraser

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #240 on: February 24, 2018, 11:14:46 pm »
@Paw85

thanks for sharing your concept of a boot_inject.cmd with the startup values
Code: [Select]
rset .image.services.store.quality 100
rset .ui.userSettings.overlayLogo false
:-+

Offline hikanio

• Contributor
« Reply #241 on: February 28, 2018, 02:01:27 pm »
As an E30 user, I'd really like to see the this new idea of extended menu functions to provide the ability to record thermal videos (not just mp4) on the Exx series.
It was already proven possible in general by using command line by tomas123 (as far as I remember) , so it shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

That'd be a motivator to get me trying this hack. :-)

Cheers
Hikanio

Offline Spirit532

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #242 on: February 28, 2018, 03:09:20 pm »
As an E30 user, I'd really like to see the this new idea of extended menu functions to provide the ability to record thermal videos (not just mp4) on the Exx series.
It was already proven possible in general by using command line by tomas123 (as far as I remember) , so it shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

From my tests I've determined that it's either impossible or extremely close to impossible.
A 320x240x30fps video ends up being 18.4MB/s of data, which the hardware inside the camera can't do on the software end(WinCE).

tomas123's approach records to RAM until it's either full(and crashes the camera in some cases), or for only about a second(the Ex, Exx, and T4xx cameras seem to have around 25-30MB of RAM free), and then dumps it out onto the SD card or internal flash.

I haven't looked into lossless compression yet, but I suspect that's also impossible due to the tiny amounts of computational power available.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #243 on: March 12, 2018, 01:41:32 pm »
It's confirmed..... :palm:

I can NOT 100% confiirm this:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e30-config-and-specs/msg1450104/#msg1450104

A unit with PN 49001-1801 has the wifi board, SN is 490217xx. So maybe the theory SN 490xxxxx has the WIFI is correct.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 01:46:52 pm by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #244 on: March 29, 2018, 04:05:27 am »
So I started to play on my new used E30 condom special version... you will understand why.

Here the Details:

SN 490214xx
PN 49001-1801
FW 1.36.23
Model E30_B 1.1

already upgraded to FW 2.23.14.

Hope to get WIFI, I did a picture before doing the hack...

it looks to me already 320x240...  ???

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #245 on: March 29, 2018, 10:32:42 am »
Zucca,

Prepare to be very impressed once you have done the hack ;)

Your camera automatically interpolates the 160 x 120 pixel image to 320 x 240 to fit the LCD Screen.

Your sample image needs to be viewed in FLIR Tools where the true Thermal Resolution is detailed in the image information. Your sample image is 160 x 120 thermal resolution.

Your sample image is actually quite poor for what an Exx series camera can produce  :) Yes I did say poor ! Once you upgrade the camera you will have four times the number of thermal image pixels plus the awful false noise injection will be removed. FLIR inject varying levels of false noise depending upon the model. The E30 has the highest level of false noise injection to deliberately degrade its image. IIRC it is set at 60mK or 70mK of injected noise !

After the upgrade you will see a very nice, detailed and low noise image :)

Do the full E60 hack and prepare to be impressed with the result :)

Fraser
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 10:38:24 am by Fraser »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #246 on: March 29, 2018, 12:04:24 pm »
Do the full E60 hack and prepare to be impressed with the result :)
A huge difference indeed. See attached pic for the difference (I guess also a firmware update was made according to the changed display layout - but I cannot remember).
Edit: before you ask: the two pictures are showing two different windows

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #247 on: March 29, 2018, 01:48:07 pm »
Your camera automatically interpolates the 160 x 120 pixel image to 320 x 240 to fit the LCD Screen.

Hi brothers Fraser and Pinkus, ah ah it makes sense now. Somehow I remember my E8+ to be sooo much better, but I was not sure...
Thanks, stay tuned I will need your support again I am sure.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #248 on: March 29, 2018, 04:21:10 pm »
Congratulations on the upgrade. The amount of artificial noise injected into the E30 image is staggering ! That is the FLIR Marketing team at work, making sure the lower spec/cost cameras in the series provide far inferior imaging to the more expensive models. The Service Menu gives you access to a noise self test feature where the camera calculates the system noise level. That can be interesting to run as you get the noise readout of your microbolometer :) For the Exx series it's nice and low :) The larger manual focus lens also improves the real world noise figure of the system when compared to the Ex series that is somewhat limited by its inferior fixed focus lens.

Fraser

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #249 on: March 29, 2018, 04:24:04 pm »
I think your E30 will only have the lower temperature range enabled. If so you can enable range 4 that extends up to 650C. You activate Range 2 via the service menu as I think is detailed recently in this thread. If not, I will find the details for you.

Fraser

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf