Author Topic: Flir E40bx incl Extech MO297 used price?  (Read 1895 times)

Offline sebhellstromTopic starter

Flir E40bx incl Extech MO297 used price?
« on: September 17, 2018, 10:28:17 am »
Hi,

I stumbled upon this forum when I was trying to figure out what would be a resonable price for my dads thermal imaging unit. Saw there was quite a lot of talk and there was several people that seemed like they knew the technology really well!

My dad bought a Flir E40bx including a Extech MO297 when he started his company early 2013. What he was planing on filling his days at work with quickly changed and the thermal imaging plus moisture psychrometer has been laying around gathering dust ever since he bought them. Now it's time to let someone else use these who will hopefully make better use of the units only that I have no idea what the market price for them is.
This is where you guys come in, I hope that I could get some help with what would be a good price from both mine and the buyers perspective.

The units have been staying in the included hardcase for years now. My dad said that the total time of use for both units together is around 5 hours, in other words everything is in mint condition.

So what do I have?
1x Flir E40bx (18mm lense)
1x Extech MO297 Moisture Psychrometer
1x Hardcase that fits all the bells and whistles

How much is all of this worth? Where should I turn to sell this? I'm from sweden so any swedish specific sales sites would be greatly appreciated!

Offline cq-317

• Contributor
Re: Flir E40bx incl Extech MO297 used price?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 10:59:07 am »
Used e40bx is approximately $1,500 to $2,000

The following users thanked this post: sebhellstrom

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 09:37:20 pm »
Used e40bx is approximately $1,500 to $2,000

Thanks CQ. Is there a big market for older used Flir cameras or is it a super small niche market?

Offline cq-317

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 09:12:56 am »
Thermal imaging is not a hot market, and most used E40BXs are priced above $1,500, but the deal is not ideal. You can check ebay for market prices. Last month I just auctioned an E40BX for $1050. You can try to auction on ebay.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 11:46:19 am by cq-317 »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 10:40:51 am »
The price of thermal cameras tends to fluctuate greatly depending very much upon who wants one at the time of sale. As an example, I purchased an 'as new' E40 for £1200 from a company that bought it for a project that never happened. That was a very good price for an E40 in such condition. At the time a lower specification E30bx sold for the same price on eBay.

Last month I purchased an E40bx on eBay for £580 ! That is a very low price for an E40bx and was likely a combination of factors. The side doors had broken catches and June, July, August are bad months to sell on eBay as prices are depressed by people being in holiday or short of cash due to holiday costs. There are bargains to be found during these months.

As you may or may not know, the 'bx' version of the Exx series cameras are less capable than the standard model as the temperature range is capped. This is of little interest to users who want the camera for building surveys though as that is what the 'bx' range were intended for.

Thermal cameras are now common in the building survey industry and are also used by Solar Panel installers, Automotive mechanics, electricians etc to check for electrical and heat issues. Plumbers also use such cameras. The FLIR Exx series are well respected cameras for such use and are current in terms of technology capabilities and the ability to have them calibrated, if desired. In other words, there is still a significant market for such cameras amongst building surveyors and electricians etc.

The E40bx can be easily upgraded to perform as an E60bx with 320 x 240 pixel resolution. Details are on this forum and easily followed with no parts needed, just software configuration changes required. The 'bx' temperature cap may also be removed on many 'bx' series cameras. This requires a change in setting in the cameras service menu. Sadly MK2 cameras do not have this menu so they remain temperature capped. No great problem with that in many usage cases though. The higher resolution is the most important upgrade to many users and it's free to do on the Mk1 and MK2 cameras.

Those who know about the ease of resolution upgrade on an Exx camera can buy an E40 and create a very expensive E60 for a few minutes work on the software configuration. For this reason the E40 is very popular amongst thermal camera enthusiasts like me :)

How much is a nice condition E40bx worth ? Sadly, as stated, this depends on luck as the market fluctuates greatly. I would estimate a value of between $1500 and $2000, as already stated, if sold on eBay. Some sell for less, whilst others for more. In your case, condition is great so you should sell it for the upper end of the price range. EBay charge a 10% selling fee and PayPal charge around 3% transaction fees so this needs to be considered. I suggest you look at eBay previous sales of an E30bx and E40bx to gain a feel of what the market is willing to pay for them. As started, prices are lower during holiday months and tend to rise as we approach Christmas. Your camera, if in good condition, will make a nice early Christmas present for someone :)

Now to the regulations on selling an Exx series camera such as yours. You are fine selling your camera within your countries borders to a national of your country. Selling such a camera across international borders is a bit more complicated due to Dual Use Technology regulations. Such sales also carry the risk of international postage return fees if it is DOA at its destination. Such international postage can be significant as there are also import fees involved. Be very careful on that front as it can cost you dearly when selling on eBay.

On the legal front, the Exx series are a controlled Dual Use technology and to legally ship such overseas certain checks need to be made on its recipient and intended use. Within the EU sales across borders are pretty safe, but shipping out of the USA can be more involved. BIS need to be advised of the sale etc. In short, if you sell to someone Uncle Sam does not like, you can find yourself in some trouble.

Selling your camera on this forum is likely a better option if you can find someone willing to pay a reasonable price for it. You avoid potential nasty buyers on eBay who may try to claim DOA and people on here are knowledgeable about the technology which helps a lot. You also avoid the 10% sellers fee. Sadly your camera is still quite an expensive purchase for a hobbyist so the number of people with such spare cash may be limited. More so than on eBay where building surveyors, electricians and plumbers search for such cameras. Trade people have more capital available for such purchases as the tool pays for itself over time.

You have a nice, decent performance thermal camera with a great reputation. I hope you get decent money for it :)

Your market for this camera is not as small as some may think......

1. Building Thermal surveys - Common for 'Green building' certification (though it really needs to be upgraded to 320 x 240 pixels for that) and insulation checks to save heating costs etc.
2. Electricians - checking for overloaded circuits or poor connections etc
3. Auto Electricians and Mechanics - looking for overloaded circuits, poor connections and engine/cooling temperature related issues.
4. Plumbers - searching for blockages in pipes and hidden leak sources such as under concrete floors.
5. Builders - searching for damp, insulation failure, air leaks around window seals and other structural issues that involve thermal differential.
6. Electronics thermal profiling and diagnostics - searching for thermal issues on Electronic equipment and PCB's etc.
7. Thermal photography - a growing area of artistic use.
8. Motor Racing - checking mechanical and tyre temperatures
9. Wildlife detection and observation

And there are likely more common uses but you get the idea :)

I hope this helps

Fraser

« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 11:06:34 am by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 10:40:51 am »
Can't thank you enough Fraser, your info is much appreciated!

I'll give it a go and try to sell it here locally in Sweden and if that doesn't work i might give Ebay.de or Ebay.co.uk a go.

Once again, thank you!

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 11:23:38 am »
Prices are generally higher in Sweden so you should do better than selling into the UK.

Hope you get a decent price for it. They are lovely cameras and mine is now my favourite for daily use.

Some Trivia, AGEMA was one of the most advanced Industrial thermal camera producers in the World. They were a Swedish company that was purchased by FLIR to gain their expert knowledge in designing high performance thermal imaging cameras. Sweden is the home of much of the technology employed in modern FLIR industrial thermal cameras. Some of the design teams remain in Sweden, working for FLIR, to this day.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf