Author Topic: FLIR Lepton 160x120 is now available as standalone component!  (Read 5858 times)

Offline Ben321Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
I just saw this on the official FLIR Lepton website https://lepton.flir.com/

Digikey https://www.digikey.com/products/en/sensors-transducers/image-sensors-camera/532?k=lepton already has them (though 0 are currently in stock, must be REALLY popular and got sold out), but they are quite expensive. At $239, they cost about as much as a complete FLIR One unit. So you actually would get more for your money by  buying a FLIR One and dissasembling it, and removing the Lepton chip from it, and desoldering the other components on the circuit board to use for other projects. That way you get the Lepton + other components, for the price that you would otherwise be paying for only the Lepton.

The following users thanked this post: TiN

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
Re: FLIR Lepton 160x120 is now available as standalone component!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 06:40:55 am »
Is anyone interested in getting one, from here? I could have a word with FLIR and see if we can get a group buy going.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 06:44:27 am »
Is anyone interested in getting one, from here? I could have a word with FLIR and see if we can get a group buy going.

How does FLIR have to do with group buys? I think that Digikey (the one selling them, as FLIR doesn't sell components directly to the public, but rather through a distributor like Digikey) is the company that you would have to negotiate with for large quantity/bulk pricing.

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 06:45:22 am »
I've got a few contacts at FLIR (plus we are a reseller for the handheld cameras), so can ask them directly :)

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 07:58:22 am »
Looks like Flir are downgrading the base-level Flir One to 80x60, with a "pro" model at 160x120.
The Ios GenII is already out of stock, presumably discontinued

http://www.flir.com/flirone/content/?id=81730
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 03:27:17 pm »
http://www.flir.com/home/news/details/?ID=83959
Wednesday, April 12, 2017
FLIR announced that it has produced its one millionth FLIR Lepton® microcamera core.
I’m also pleased to announce that we have begun to make our highest resolution Lepton, FLIR Lepton 3, available to OEMs for product integration.

:-+

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 07:07:53 pm »
For those wondering..... the LEPTON 3 module available for OEM use is different to that found in the FLIR ONE Gen 2.

FLIR lock the modules they use in their products to a design specification. The OEM modules are fully configurable and not locked. The module contains a OTP memory that is used by FLIR and the OEM to set configuration variables that are not intended to be changed at a later date.

As an example.....

The OEM LEPTON 3 has two gain modes. One covers up to 150C whilst the other goes up to 450C.

The datasheet is an interesting read.

Fraser
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:39:44 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 07:29:17 pm »
How does FLIR have to do with group buys? I think that Digikey (the one selling them, as FLIR doesn't sell components directly to the public, but rather through a distributor like Digikey) is the company that you would have to negotiate with for large quantity/bulk pricing.

GroupGets was the first (and only for quite some time) outlet that would sell individual Leptons. Since they basically started with these when nobody else could have any I'd say the founder likely has very close relations with FLIR. Maybe the whole thing is even owned by them but just slightly disguised do as to make a clear separation with their normal channels and expected support.
They have the 3 like every version before it, not sure if it's in stock or a preorder though but since you can "add to cart" instead of reserving a slot as usual it may be available straight away: https://store.groupgets.com/collections/lepton-3/products/l3
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 07:34:08 pm by Kilrah »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 04:49:34 am »
I just noticed, from the picture on Digikey, Lepton appears to be one with a shutter, and this covers the lens, so there's no way to grab the lens and turn it for focusing.

Lepton 2 with manual focus, but no shutter

Lepton 2 with shutter, but fixed focus

Lepton 3 with shutter, but fixed focus

I have yet to see a Lepton 3, which actually has manual focus. Does FLIR intend to ever produce such? Or do they feel that such a component would compete too strongly with some of their full-featured thermal imager devices (which cost thousands of dollars), so they intentionally hinder this very powerful component by not letting it have any manual focus?

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 09:49:44 am »
The shutter unclips.  As long as you are not after very very short focus it is fine.

Bill

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 10:08:18 am »

GroupGets was the first (and only for quite some time) outlet that would sell individual Leptons. Since they basically started with these when nobody else could have any I'd say the founder likely has very close relations with FLIR.
Some info here : https://groupgets.com/blog/posts/35-the-millionth-lepton
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf