Author Topic: Flir Lepton Experience?  (Read 3731 times)

Offline danabee3Topic starter

Flir Lepton Experience?
« on: June 12, 2017, 10:37:36 am »
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience with the FLIR Lepton 3? (160 x 120).
I'm looking to do on-board thermal image processing from a drone (for fire detection) and found that the FLIR Lepton is easily integratable with the Raspberry Pi. However, I'm quite worried about the resolution of the camera, and was wondering if any one has any experience flying this camera from high up? with images or video footage that I can look at? All the videos i've seen are from very close up.
Our goal is to detect a fire of 0.75 x 0.75 meters from a maximum height of 50 meters if that helps.

Thanks in advance ,
Dana

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Flir Lepton Experience?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 09:39:25 pm »
Check out footage from the FLIR Duo, that uses a Lepton 3 core. Designed for drones, albeit crap resolution for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: danabee3

Offline -jeffB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 03:08:38 pm »
Wow, my trigonometry is rustier than I thought. But at 50m distance, with a 50-degree FOV, you'd see a patch of terrain around 50 meters wide. That's diagonal, I assume, so a 160x120 image works out to something like 4 pixels per meter, 25cm per pixel. Your fire would be at least 3x3 pixels on the sensor in that case.

But, of course, fires are hot -- far hotter than anything else in the scene. Even a fire much smaller than a single pixel might be fairly obvious in the image.

If you want to discern details about the shape of the fire, the Lepton probably wouldn't help you much at that range. But detecting the presence of small fires should be easy, I'd think...?

Offline rankink

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 06:09:48 am »
I don't own a drone, but could probably hold mine off of the top of my building (around fifty feet) if that would help.

Offline cynfab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 12:49:44 pm »
check out this video I did over a year ago with my 3DR Solo and a Flir One G2. Custom software on an ARM SBC between the F1G2 and Solo's HDMI input.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/question-about-flir-one-for-android/msg925953/#msg925953
That thread has lots of info on the custom software. The project is on hold now awaiting further kernel driver development for a different SBC.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf