Author Topic: Flir One Android App with full Lepton sensor resolution 160x120  (Read 56169 times)

Offline tomas123Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Georg wrote the Flir One app "Thermal Camera" for Android, which uses the full resolution of the Lepton 3 sensor (160x120).
The Flir One App from Flir crops all images to a resolution of about 120x90 pixels (for MSX overlay and removing the distortion)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=georg.com.flironetest_01

manual: http://thermcam.binaryblogger.de/manualA/

Please test the app and write your questions here. I'm in contact with Georg.
He would be pleased about a positiv feedback in play store about his first app  ;) 

I posted here images for comparing the quality and FOV (field of view) between the Flir One App and real Lepton 3 Sensor resolution:
here is a real live sample (shot after a small warm up time of about 2 minutes):

It’s the same shot. Compare the different FOV (field of view)

I saved with the SDK.app simultaneously a upscaled Flir Radiometric JPG  and a real Lepton ThermalLinearFlux14BitImage.

Afterwards I rebuild with my old panorama script (see my footer) a real size 160x120 Lepton radiometric jpg (a Flir format).
You can load this sample jpg images in Flir Tools and compare the quality.

First a original image shot with the Flir App.
The App crop  >:(  the Lepton sensor to about 120x90 Pixel.
Please note the artefacts/patterns!
Flir makes a nice lens distortion correction of the Lepton sensor for best MSX overlaying  ;)

real  Lepton sensor 160x120 (no image postprocessing and with noise/grain because the temperature spread is only 4 Kelvin)

in this image I colored the crop range from the Flir One App:
with the images from simulator, there you can excat show the crop factor

I selected frame 50 from sampleframes.zip inside the SDK app

overlay from Lepton 160x120 with the Flir Radiometric JPG file

« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 09:36:49 am by tomas123 »

Offline cynfab

• Regular Contributor
Re: Flir One Android App with full Lepton sensor resolution 160x120
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 06:22:17 pm »
tomas123:
Very nice, congrats to Georg. emissivity is adjustable like it should have been on the Flir One App. Nicw selection of palettes.
It however doesn't seem to save to the Gallery on my Moto E and crashes when I try to save to the Flir Tools folder.
WIP to be sure but a great start.

...ken...

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 07:47:49 pm »
Great to see an alternative app for the Android version.

My thanks to the author for his efforts.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 08:31:37 pm »
Developer here.

cynfab:
When your app crashes, do you a error message, where you have a report button?
Looks like this:

If its there please press report, I'll than see the error log in my developer account. If it's not there, I can't help you. It's most likely a C typical crash that is coming from the Flir library. But don't give up hope. I'm right now trying of creating my own image saving routine. Tomas123 helped me there a lot, by translating his raw-image-data-into-jpg-injection from PHP to Java.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 08:52:44 pm »
It however doesn't seem to save to the Gallery on my Moto E and crashes when I try to save to the Flir Tools folder.
The Gallery is only a database.
You say, the app doesn't crash if you save to the regular folder.
Thermal Camera App saves the images to the /DCIM folder of your internal storage.
Please check it with a file browser or navigate to this folder with Flir Tools.

If you don't found the images /DCIM/ThermalCamera*.jpg then 
can you please install this original SDK app from my link below and check it again?
Please note, that this SDK app save the images to the folder /pictures (use mode Thermal Image).

I uploaded the self compiled SDK app for Android.

http://www.file-upload.net/download-11032220/FlirOneSDK.apk.html

P.S.: Do you have installed the Flir Tools?

Offline cynfab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 09:54:12 pm »
tomas123,
You are right of course, I just ran the Gallery app and didn't see any images. they are just where you stated ;>P

gansgar,
I pushed the report button and added the system logs. Hope you figure it out.

THANKS FOR THE GREAT APP!!!

...ken...

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 10:27:30 pm »
I shall load this on to my Motorola Moto G Mk1 and Moto E Mk2 tomorrow.

Thanks again

Fraser

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 10:36:41 pm »
@cynfab
My pleasure!

Can you post a nice sample as screenshot of the "Flir One App" and "Georgs Thermal Camera" to show the difference?
I'm yet the only poster who darns the crop factor, "noise filter" and forced MSX of the Flir One App.

Did you see, that George used your great Iron/Gray Palette?   ;)

PS: You can change the gamma of the live image with a vertical slider (touch on the image).

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 10:58:12 pm »
Ok I loaded up the app on my Moto G Mk1 and Moto E Mk2

Immediate impressions are very good. Most notable is a significant improvement in the frame rate on both of the phones. Much better than the FLIR app that is very laggy and has a rotten frame rate.

Only a quick test but what I saw I very much like. I like the option to enable and disable the visible light camera image. So pleased to now have the capability to image without MSX and its associated noise at low light levels.

Nice work :)

Fraser

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 12:12:22 am »
Thank you. And that it works better on your phone than in the Flir One App is not only good news, but also impressive. They do all the fancy calculations in binary code and I do them in Java. :D

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 12:27:54 am »
Cool, but it has a major problem, my usage of it depends on NOT having visible light MSX mixed in with the image. I'd love to have an app that did just one very simple task, saved the raw 14bpp 160x120 image into a 16bit grayscale TIF image file at the tap of a button. It would be a very simple app, display an auto-levels adjusted (scaled so the highest value was white, and the lowest value was black) image to the screen so you can see what you are looking at, but save the raw image (without any scaling applied, just raw 14 bit values put into the 16 bit pixels, with the remaining 2 bits being 0 for padding to make the values be 16bit aligned) to an image file that supports the high bitdepth, namely a TIF file.

Of course not many image editing programs support 16bit images, but Photoshop does, and it will be my primary software for viewing these images.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 12:34:00 am »
The FLIR app was written and tuned to perform as well as the iPhone version when using the F1G2 Android on a Samsung S5. Anything less powerful will suffer a lower frame rate.

My quick and dirty test was to pan the camera let and right whilst watching the image. On the FLIR app the image became a real mess. Your app kept up with the panning well and did not make an ugly mess of the images produced. Most impressive.

There has been previous comment from people on this forum who understand coding (I do not) that the coding in the FLIR app leaves much to be desired in terms of efficiency. I believe someone reverse engineered the original FLIR ONE iOS App and found it severily wanting in the coding quality area.

FLIR may not have the most experienced coders on the FLIR ONE iOS/Android project. It is a deviation from the usual Linux and WindowsCE used on their other cameras. The new consumer camera division may not have the knowledge of the original Industrial and Pro-sumer divisions.

Fraser
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 12:35:57 am by Fraser »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 12:45:12 am »
@Ben321,

I may be missing something here but I did not see MSX active on my images whilst using this app. It does not meet your simple 16 Bit TIFF requirement, but at least there is no MSX making life difficult when using a close up lens for PCB work :) FLIR consciously enforced MSX image overlaying on the image and have no intention of providing an off button. This app solves that niggle for me.

Fraser

Offline Redshift1340

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 01:37:50 am »
I've been waiting a long time for someone to create an app that allows use of the full F1G2 resolution of 160x120.  I unfortunately have the iOS version though.  Is anyone working on compiling the same type of app for iOS? I can't do it myself using the SDK because I have no programming experience and don't have an apple computer to compile it even if I could.  I thought for sure I'd see it in the AppStore by now, but so far, nothing. 

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 01:59:55 am »
You can switch between my renderer and the original Flir SDK one (see attachment). The app has basically behind every thing in the layout an action. I will build a small manual in the future.

Also: I think about saving the image in also in an RAW form. An approach is here: http://developer.flir.com/forums/topic/samsung-s7-slow-and-glitchy-stock-app-why-also-a-kind-of-work-around/

But I wanted to bring the app into public with some features and extend on it with updates, before you go into the opposite direction as your audience wants it to be.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 02:14:25 am by gansgar »

Offline Redshift1340

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 02:26:32 am »
Has anyone at least compiled the FLIROneSDK sample app for iOS? I would love to at least be able to use that so I can use the ThermalLinearFlux14BitImage option.  If anyone has, can You please post it to the AppStore?

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 11:44:21 am »
Wow, major revelation for me....... This app works on my Intel Atom based Android HUDL 2 tablet ! Excellent imaging on a decent sized screen.

The FLIR app does not work with Atom based Android platforms and FLIR have stated that they do not intend to make their app compatible with The Atom processor.

This is a MAJOR improvement in the usability of the F1G2 for me. Presumably this is due to the app being written in Java

I shall create a new post highlighting this excellent Android Atom platform solution so others see it.

Fraser
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 12:15:30 pm by Fraser »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 12:17:33 pm »
That is lucky.
Android itself can actually emulate other architectures. So can armv7 binarycode run on x86 Androids. But it seems like, that the Flir SDK Code is trash. I had yesterday a bug report from an Iconia Tab 8 (intel processors), which couldn't run the Flir SDK even when it theoretical could. I know that, because the Play Store is automatically not showing the app to incompatible devices.

But it seems like, that some Intels can actually run it.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 12:29:57 pm »
Here are some 'quick and dirty' pictures of my HUDL2 running your App and producing a very nice image.

I am using the F1G2 on an OTG Micro USB extension cable so can use the camera remote from the tablet. this is great for using the camera in tight spaces like in a cars engine compartment  :)

Fraser
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 10:25:46 pm by Fraser »

Offline Spike101

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2016, 04:47:23 pm »
Nice app, thanks! much better than the original. It's my new auto-start app when the cam is connected  :-+

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 10:20:29 pm »
Small little update to fix some bugs. I also added a small dialog box, when your device architecture doesn't support the app and I changed the way the min / max overlay (long press on the min / max temperature) works. They're now influencing the range too.

Offline mangler

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2016, 02:14:04 am »
I just downloaded the app. Looks like great improvements vs the Flir app. When I get the camera I am going straight with it. Good work!

Weird thing, I used the link in the thread to download, but without the link it's quite hard to find the app on the playstore. I used "thermal camera" as keywords and it appears on the 4th line! Behind terrible apps, some without "the words thermal or camera in the title! Did I just forget to toggle "relevance" in my playstore results?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 02:50:03 am by mangler »

Offline mangler

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2016, 03:01:52 am »
Finally got the Flir One G2, and tried this app. It's pretty awesome. Love the lockable scale, the battery meter with an actual percentage, the msx toggle. I did get the the app to freeze a  few times when going to the settings menu and back (stops recognizing the camera), but it's nothing a camera and app restart could not fix.

Seems the only thing the Flir app has that I can't find on this app is the msx parallax compensation at close range. I am guessing the "object distance" might be of assistance, but the slider on the Flir version is quite slick, as you can just glide until both the thermal and visible outline coincide.

Also, what is "Reflected Apparent Temperature"?

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2016, 04:06:10 am »
I want to implement the MSX slider later. I found that the gamma regulation adds more function to the common gesture of sliding up & down) than MSX can do it. But I will implement it in next update or so.

The "Reflected Apparent Temperature" is essentially a fancy name for the ambient temperature. But please don't type in commas so far. It will read the number without the decimal point, which results into  buggy behavior: example
275.15K -> 27515.0K

Object distance has no influence YET. What it does theoretical: is correcting the temperature from the influence of the air. The bigger the distance between the camera and the object, as bigger gets the influence and the need for correction.

In the next big update I will implement some picture enhancement algorithms like super resolution or exponential smoothing and properly also a control over the MSX overlapping.

As an attachment you can see, what difference exponential smoothing can have on a still image with small temperature range!
...00.jpg is without
...01.jpg is with exponential smoothing.

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2016, 04:11:22 am »
Lucky the app is only a "few" lines behind the original Flir One app with the keywords "thermal camera" or "Flir One". (at least in my version of the playstore results [I use a different Google account for the development])

I will hope to improve my listing by tweaking my description a bit and getting a bit more downloads (I'm still pretty young with my app). So let's see what happens. :D

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2016, 04:17:33 am »
Great work gansgar.

Super resolution mode .... Whoa, that is better than can be achieved with any of my professional Cameras. I cannot wait to see that mode added.

The F1G2 has suddenly become far more interesting now that there is some decent software for it that continues to develop.

I am still well chuffed about this software running so well on my Atom based tablet. It runs really smoothly and no issue with it yet.

On my Moto G Mk1 and Moto E Mk2 I have had the application lose communications with the camera and a complete restart of the app and camera is needed to correct the situation.

Keep up the great work. It is very much appreciated and if you decide to charge for the fully fledged application, I will certainly buy it.

Fraser

Offline Davecltl

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2016, 11:13:19 pm »
Just tried this app on my s5 and it works great. I didn't even realize the flir app was reducing the resolution. Will be using and testing this app some more!

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2016, 11:27:04 pm »
I have been using this app for a few days now and still love it's improvements over the OEM I mates. For me the ability to switch off MSX has been key. The uncropped image is a bonus feature.

The fact that this app runs on my Intel Atom based tablet also made this an absolute winner in my eyes. FLIR need to learn from this app and produce a new generation of their offering. Come on FLIR, offer full resolution, MSX off mode and write it in JAVA !

Thanks again for making this great app available to us. Now let's hope someone equally clever can come up with a Windows Program so the camera can be used on a PC as well. That would increase its versatility even more.

Fraser

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2016, 11:33:24 pm »
The problem is, that you cannot write it in Java. Java is muuch to slow for that task. What they could do is shrinking and optimising their code, so that they can be surre, that it even runs on an Intel Core.

Thanks. :D

The Windows port would be an interesting task. And I would love to this, but I "only" have a Unix system. And for that specific task there is a solution available.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2016, 11:53:33 pm »
Ooooops my mistake, I thought your App was written in JAVA.

Sadly FLIR have made it clear that they have no intention of producing an App that is compatible with any Intel based phones or tablets. They are designing their App to work with what they consider to be a mainstream platform, namely the Samsung S5 or equivalent. They also have zero interest in producing a Windows program that can communicate with the F1G2. How nice it would have been if FLIR TOOLS had a plugin for F1G2 camera communications. An opportunity missed ?

I know that there have been many meetings held to thrash out what the F1G2 will and will not be capable of........ we can only assume that FLIR have some firm views on this LEPTON platform and exactly how it will integrate into their range of cameras.

You have made it far more useful to me now though. You have my sincere thanks.

Fraser
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:12:29 am by Fraser »

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2016, 11:57:20 pm »
You're right. My app right now is programmed in Java. But in the moment I would like to implement things like MSX, upscaling, ... . I would be dead with pure Java. That's the reason why I currently thinl about switching to the OpenCV library, which is completely programmed in C (don't fear it. I will include all possible architectures that can support my app, so that it will run on Intel too).

Offline Davecltl

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2016, 12:17:38 am »
I'm find that not having MSX is actually quite nice in many situations. But having a toggle for or slider will mean never using the flir app again, which seems to exit/crash randomly. The super resolution sounds quite interesting and i'm certainly looking forward to that. The current version had no issues for about 30 minutes of use, Thanks very much for the app gansgar!

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2016, 12:30:09 am »
^^. I actually watched the behaviour, that the Flir SDK crashes randomly when I want to initialise a new device. Experienced that with the simulator and I'm not sure if it's also doing so with the real camera. The problem is: If you ever include C code inside your Java project there's no way that you can catch those errors.

For those who are interested. I'm trying to implement the SR method described by [1]. The problem is, that I current don't have a working sample and first tried to understand it with help of some Matlab code (Dry, because I don't own Matlab). The result presented by the paper are looking promising, but I assume that I will have a limited amount of profit from that due to performance limitations. Luckly the algorithm in the paper can be fine tuned to the available calculation power, in cost of quality. Also (as many might think), is our brain actually quiet good in doing a kind of super resolution in the head. It will be useful for still images, that you can save, which is probably the way I'll go. A kind of mode, where you see the finished SR image and a live thermal view and the app ask you to hold still to collect some data. But I don't know yet where I'll end up ^^. But what I can promise you: Super resolution will come, at least for still images.  ;D

[1] : "Fast and Robust Multiframe Super Resolution" - http://people.duke.edu/~sf59/SRfinal.pdf

Offline JohnG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2016, 02:43:37 pm »
If you have not already considered it, you may be able to run the MATLAB(TM) code in Octave. I don't do this a lot these days, but I have had a pretty good success rate in the past, often being able to run MATLAB code in Octave with little or no modification. Octave also has a decent GUI option now, as well.

https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/

John
"Reality is that which, when you quit believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick (RIP).

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2016, 02:46:40 pm »
I know I tried it, but the GUI method used in the script doesn't exist in Octave sadly

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2016, 02:30:43 am »
Okay guys some updates:

First and the most important one. A NEW UPDATE. This time officially Flir one approved. This update is not only updating the app icon (watch out), but is also adding the exponential smoothing feature. I also did some corrections how I manage unsupported devices, you will now be greeted with a more informative error message.

And secondly, I could finally get the SR program in octave running. I just didn't got some images so far, where I could really show you the effectivity, but I got the same results for my test data sets as they got in their Matlab program. [1]
I also published the code on Github [2]. It is not something nice, but I only wanted to save somebody the time to understand the original code and created a small wrapper script. You only need to edit the script.m file. But you need to have Octave installed!

After trying it out on my PC, I assume, that it will not be working in real time on an Android Phone. I will properly end up rendering the frame in a semi live view. (Every second 1 frame) and replace the current visible light image with the live thermal view. If you now take a picture it will render the SR image in Background with a higher quality and will also save the thermal image from that moment. SR looks most of the time really good, but sometimes it has its problems with fragments that are clearly visible in the picture. The whole thing will be its own mode that you can switch on and off.

[1] http://www1.idc.ac.il/toky/videoProc-07/projects/SuperRes/srproject.html
[2] https://github.com/Gansgar/FastRobustSR

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2016, 02:40:03 am »
Thanks for the update :)

Fraser

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2016, 02:52:09 am »
I'm working now on an app that has TONS of features, and will be light-years beyond even the FLIR One SDK sample app.  It's about 95% done now. It is called "FOne Ultimate". I would have called it "FLIR One Ultimate", except that would probably get me sued by FLIR for violating their trademark.

It outputs 16bit grayscale TIF files for Raw14bit thermal, and radiometric centikelvin-scale thermal images
It outputs 32bit RGB BMP files for thermal IR (aligned and cropped) image, MSX (aligned and cropped) image, and visible light (aligned and cropped) image.
The only format that it saves as a compressed JPG file is the full size (not cropped) visible light JPEG image.

It correctly rotates all of the image formats (except the JPEG format) to be aligned with the orientation you are holding your phone (portrait, reverse portrait, landscape, or reverse landscape). I have yet to figure out how to properly have the FLIR One SDK's FrameProcessor object correctly rotate any of the FLIR One image formats (raw or JPEG) at all, but have my own function for rotating the images when they provide you with the raw bytes of image data (anything that I can save as TIF or BMP), which is available for all formats except the visible light JPEG image, hence the reason I cannot correctly rotate that image. You will need to provide your own image editing software to correctly rotate that image, unless I find another way to do it.

The 16bit grayscale TIF and 32bit BGRX BMP saving functions are my own, as neither FLIR One SDK, nor Android SDK have functions that allow me to save BMP or TIF files. I also had to create my own byte-swapping functions, as the BMP specification calls for little endian-byte order for all multi-byte values, and of course the Android system uses big-endian multi-byte values. Also I had to write my own red-blue channel swapper for this, as BMP files are stored with the blue channel first, rather than the red channel.

I also used the endian byte swapping functions to create little-endian TIF files (even though the TIFF specification also allows for big-endian), as the app is intended to be a thermal data-gathering platform for Android, but with the idea that the captured files will be used on a desktop or laptop PC (which of course are little-endian systems). Any TIF writer software I write for the PC is going to be written with the intent of using it with these thermal image files, and don't plan to create the extra overhead of making my PC TIF reading software capable of handling both big and little endian TIF files (though the official TIFF specs say readers need to be able to do both). In light of this fact that I won't be doing any byte-swapping at the TIF file reader end of things, I need to perform byte-swapping at the TIF file writer end of things.

And then there's one more feature that my app provides that NO OTHER app for the FLIR One yet provides. This is the ability to record a video that can handle even 16bits per pixel frames. The official FLIR One app can save MP4 video, but (at least on my phone) it lags SO BAD after a couple seconds that the video I'm seeing 1 minute after the recording started represents events that happened about 10 seconds after the recording started, and to see events that happened about 20 seconds after the recording started, I have to wait about 2 minutes for the preview screen to catch up. Yep, it's THAT MUCH of a lag. I think the problem is the time it takes to compress a frame means the CPU can't display anything while it's running the MPEG4 compressor (maybe they didn't implement multithreading correctly or something). Maybe my phone is just slow, but even then, MPEG4 has a big problem. It DOES NOT SUPPORT 16bits per pixel frames.

My app does not have either problem. It doesn't use another thread for frame writing, but it still has NO LAG, and this is because it doesn't waste time performing MPEG4 compression on the frames. Instead it writes all of its frames by saving the raw pixel data directly to the file. And this also means that unlike with MPEG4 it CAN handle 16bits per pixel images that are needed to hold the raw thermal data for the raw14bit images and the centikelvin thermal images. How does it do this? Well it's pretty simple actually. I invented my own video file format. I call it Ben's Video Format, and files saved in this format have a .bvf file extension. Unlike AVI files, which have quite a complicated structure, BVF video files have a MINIMAL HEADER. The structure of the header is simple (note that all multi-byte values are, once again, in little-endian byte order,) and is as follows:
ascii string FileID (this should always be "BVF ", and that's a space at the end, not a null character, as it's a 4byte fixed-length string)
int FrameWidth
int FrameHeight
short ChannelsPerPixel (valid values are 1, 3, or 4)
short BytePerChannel (valid values are 1 or 2)
int FrameCount
short FrameRateNumerator (this should always be 88 (58 hex) for FLIR One video
short FrameRateDenominator (this should always be 10 (0A hex) for FLIR One video)
int Reserved (this may be used in future versions of this file format for extending the header)

After this comes all the raw uncompressed bytes of the frames sequentially stored in the file. Unlike AVI there is no index to look up frame position. As it's all stored as uncompressed pixel data, you can easilly calculate the location in the file for any given frame by simply knowing the frame number you want, and the width, height, bytes per channel, and channels per pixel. All this information can be gotten in the header, and can be used during playback to easily calculate the size and offset of an uncompressed frame during playback. No need to waste space in the file generating an index. And as it doesn't need to waste time saving an index, that made it a LOT easier to program, as I don't need to figure out how to write the necessary code to store an index separately as the frames are being written, and then concatenate the index to the end of the file as is done with AVI files. Not only is it simpler in concept, and able to handle many 16bit's per pixel grayscale frames (which even AVI can't handle, despite its complexity) it's also MUCH easier for a developer to write software for than it is with AVI files. And if you want to have an index, a playback application can easily use the format information stored in the header to generate an in-memory index when the file is loaded, and then use this index during playback and/or seeking. As for supported pixel formats, they are as follows:
8bits per pixel grayscale (1chan-per-pix and 1byte-per-chan)
16bits per pixel grayscale (1chan-per-pix and 2-bytes-per-chan)
24bits per pixel RGB(3chans-per-pix and 1byte-per-chan)
48bits per pixel RGB(3chans-per-pix and 2bytes-per-chan)
32bits per pixel RGBX(4chans-per-pix and 1byte-per-chan)
64bits per pixel RGBX(4chans-per-pix and 2bytes-per-chan)
Note that with 4 channels the 4th channel is not actually alpha channel, and is simply ignored, which is why it's designated as X (unused), not A (alpha).
Note that of these 6 pixel formats that my BVF format supports, only 2 of them are used by my FLIR One app. These are 16bits per pixel grayscale, and 32bits per pixel color.

Currently in conjunction with this thermal app, I've also created my own PC application, using VB6, that can play these BVF video files. I'll describe the features of this player when I release it, which will be at the same time as I release my app.

And then there's a neat remote control feature in this app. I just finished working on that feature a couple days ago (been working on the app for about a month). This feature allows you to use your laptop or desktop PC to control the thermal imager app. It works by sending 5-character ascii commands over UDP protocol over a LAN to your smartphone. A Windows application that will actually issue these commands is something that I'm currently working on in VB6.

Then there's one more feature I'd like to add to my app, and I will start working on that next. That is streaming frames from the app over a TCP connection back to a desktop or laptop PC, so that when it is all done, my fully featured app will allow complete remote operation of the FLIR One device. In effect, this will turn any Android phone with the FLIR One device into a PC operated thermal imager, just like some of the very high end FLIR thermal images that cost thousands of $$$$. In security operations, it could be used as a LWIR nightvision security camera to see intruders in complete darkness, where it could be monitored and recorded by a DVR or security guard, just like a regular security camera. In industry, it could be used to remotely monitor the temperature of processes occurring in a machine in a factory.

Once I've finished and released this Android app, expect it to be followed by PC applications that take advantage of its remote control and frame streaming features.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2016, 11:13:39 am »
Hi Ben321,

great news.   :-+

some notes:

Currently in conjunction with this thermal app, I've also created my own PC application, using VB6, that can play these BVF video files.
Why create a new "Ben's Video Format", if you can use Flir owns Raw Video format *.seq?
The *.seq files are only stitched *.fff frames.

As you posted here
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-fff-viewer-version-1-4/
you are an expert of the Flir *.fff format.

The *.fff frames had also only a minor file overhead and you can use it with uncompressed 16-Bit-RAW and also with compressed 16 bit PNG datas.

Encryptededdy posted here a nice video sample and a tutorial how to convert Opgal Therm App raw datas to a Flir *.seq video.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/opgal-therm-app-first-smartphone-thermal-imager-to-ship/msg764924/#msg764924
In this link you see, that you can open the *.seq video with the free PC Software Flir Tools and make some nice measurements.

Please post some image samples.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2016, 09:40:35 pm »
In the next big update I will implement some picture enhancement algorithms like super resolution...

here is my first result by testing a "real time" super resolution algorithm with OpenCV

left side: Flir One 160x120 Lepton 3
right side: same image with super resolution

https://youtu.be/6-iRTvr0uAw

the youtube compression is really hard, it looks better in reality  :-\

compare this two screenshots from the video above (and don't forget that we have only 160x120 sensor!):

you see the cover of a ZBOX CI323 nano

and later a Raspberry Pi

Offline cynfab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2016, 02:15:14 am »
Hi tomas123,
What sort of machine is your OpenCV code running on? & how much cpu does it consume. Do you have any GPU acceleration?

Great work by the way. :clap:

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2016, 09:51:51 am »
Georg request me for assistance for his Thermal Camera App and this the first proof of concept for Super Resolution.
Georg still has no F1 G2 camera  :-\

For this proof of concept we wrote a small python script, optimized for low CPU performance of Android devices (or PcDuino3  ;) ).

It's a classical multi-frame super-resolution with
- registration (find the shifts)
- average (stacking)
- sharpen

For the registration I tested several methods of motion analysis with opencv library.
http://docs.opencv.org/2.4/modules/video/doc/motion_analysis_and_object_tracking.html
estimateRigidTransform make a great job (estimate rotations, translations and scaling)

A problem for stacking of images with large shifts or rotations is the great distortion of the F1 G2 lens.
Therefore I reduced the SR processing in the video above for scenes with minor shifts
(less than 4 pixel/frame => 36 pixel/second, with 56° hor. FOV -> 36/160*56 = 12° per second movement) 
... and this works  fine

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2016, 06:36:03 pm »
Hi Ben321,

great news.   :-+

some notes:

Currently in conjunction with this thermal app, I've also created my own PC application, using VB6, that can play these BVF video files.
Why create a new "Ben's Video Format", if you can use Flir owns Raw Video format *.seq?
The *.seq files are only stitched *.fff frames.

As you posted here
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-fff-viewer-version-1-4/
you are an expert of the Flir *.fff format.

The *.fff frames had also only a minor file overhead and you can use it with uncompressed 16-Bit-RAW and also with compressed 16 bit PNG datas.

Encryptededdy posted here a nice video sample and a tutorial how to convert Opgal Therm App raw datas to a Flir *.seq video.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/opgal-therm-app-first-smartphone-thermal-imager-to-ship/msg764924/#msg764924
In this link you see, that you can open the *.seq video with the free PC Software Flir Tools and make some nice measurements.

Please post some image samples.

I know about SEQ files. If I'm not mistaken, each SEQ file has its own FFF style header, and then a sequence of FFF files withing the SEQ file. Each of these embedded FFF files of course has its own FFF header.

While the portions of the FFF header that are needed in FFF files have been reverse engineered, the FFF style header that is used as the main header of SEQ files has not yet been reverse engineered. And to top it all off, there is a HUGE amount of overhead in a correctly written FFF file, as every correctly written FFF file has a camera info header pointed to by the main header. And let me tell you this, that camera info header is HUGE. It has like 100 fields in it. That's a truckload of code right there needed to write those headers. And to top it all off, there's no way to test the resulting SEQ file to make sure that it is in fact not corrupt (no errors in writing it), without using Research IR software. But guess what Research IR, unlike FLIR Tools, is commercial software, meaning you need to SPEND MONEY to get it. I don't want to buy some software, that my only use for it will be to test the file output from an app I'm writing.

For my own purposes, creating my own file format was the best option. And guess what, the amount of overhead in a BVF file is TINY compared to the amount of overhead in an SEQ file, as SEQ files are basically an FFF header followed by a sequence of embedded FFF files, and the overhead in FFF files is HUGE.

And guess what, my VB6 program that loaded with FFF files does not deal with all that overhead. It doesn't read the camera info header, so it doesn't have all the info it needs to actually calculate temperature. That program is just concerned with displaying the raw image, being able to save the raw image in more commonly used file formats (PNG or TIF), and being able to save the image as displayed in a BMP file. That's VERY simple compared to actually handling all of that camera info header.

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2016, 01:43:17 am »
FLIR Tools will read .seq files.

The SEQ files doesn't need any kind of special header in addition to the standard FFF header except for 2 bytes for defining the frame rate.

You can literally binary copy a sequence of FFF files into a single SEQ file and it will work just fine.

Offline Neverther

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2016, 04:41:29 pm »
Little bug:

If the picture has even a one pixel showing over 105 or 110 deg C (outside the range), the thermal scale goes flat and pretty much everything, cold or hot shows ups as orange with iron palette. The outside of range shows as blue/black.

Maybe it should not affect the range and instead show up as something else?
The flir MSX just shows it as hot and the scaling does not break.

I was checking how frame welds were showing up on camera.

Same effect shows up when testing it on 60W bulb. No pics of the frame as the camera saves the MSX image, only found out just now.
Bulb before waming up
Bulb after waming up
The small end of the scale is Not a Number.

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2016, 06:50:45 pm »
FLIR Tools will read .seq files.

The SEQ files doesn't need any kind of special header in addition to the standard FFF header except for 2 bytes for defining the frame rate.

You can literally binary copy a sequence of FFF files into a single SEQ file and it will work just fine.

Actually if you open an SEQ file in a hex editor, you see it directly starts out with its own FFF header. This is what you see:
FFF.MTX IR
That "." is actually ascii null (0x00 byte).

So yes, SEQ files DO start with their own FFF header (not the header of the first FFF frame, but rather its own FFF header for the SEQ file).

So where do these 2 bytes that define frame rates go? Where in the file (offset from the start of the file) are these 2 bytes that you say define the frame rate?

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2016, 03:41:27 am »
It will work without the special FFF header.

If you take a look at my post here that tomas linked: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/opgal-therm-app-first-smartphone-thermal-imager-to-ship/msg764924/#msg764924

You can see it's 8 bytes in front of FocusDistance in the FFF file.

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2016, 05:12:43 am »
It will work without the special FFF header.

If you take a look at my post here that tomas linked: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/opgal-therm-app-first-smartphone-thermal-imager-to-ship/msg764924/#msg764924

You can see it's 8 bytes in front of FocusDistance in the FFF file.

Sorry, but I don't know how to read the output of Image Magick or whatever software that was you used to reverse engineer the SEQ files. Maybe you can just post a simple explanation here, without linking to something with a lot of console readout, that I can't figure out.

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2016, 06:09:22 am »
It's 8 bytes in front of where "FocusDistance" is stored in the fff file. The precise location may differ depending on the camera (I assume newer cameras have more metadata fields for MSX calibration etc.) but in my example I located where FocusDistance was using exiftool

and then found where the framerate was stored

I'm pretty sure that the exact offset will always be in the same place in the FFF provided the images are coming from the same camera.

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2016, 03:43:38 am »
It's 8 bytes in front of where "FocusDistance" is stored in the fff file. The precise location may differ depending on the camera (I assume newer cameras have more metadata fields for MSX calibration etc.) but in my example I located where FocusDistance was using exiftool

and then found where the framerate was stored

I'm pretty sure that the exact offset will always be in the same place in the FFF provided the images are coming from the same camera.

But how does that help with SEQ files? Wouldn't the frame rate have to be provided outside of any of the internal FFF files? If it's 8 bytes before the FocusDistance in an FFF file, that's still within the FFF file, so it couldn't define a global framerate for the SEQ file. At most, it would be able to tell a player the duration of a single frame.

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2016, 07:41:38 am »
Honestly, I have no idea regarding how FLIR Tools actually reads off the framerate from the file, but I assume it just reads it out of the first file in the sequence.

Either way, it certainly does appear to work.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2016, 09:50:50 am »
see here for the original Flir FFF header definition ( with 0x464 "Image frequency")

I posted it in October 08, 2015
http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/forum/index.php/topic,6763.msg33860.html#msg33860

I marked
Code: [Select]
0x464 *  unsigned short imageFreq;         //!< Image frequency, defines the nominal
                                 //!    image frequency in Hz
because I rechecked some times ago in eevblog forum, that the frame rate is 8 Byte behind FocusDistance.

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2016, 11:47:02 pm »
Anybody yet reverse engineer the SEQ format, and figure out what fields it uses in its main header?

Offline Redshift1340

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2016, 07:42:44 am »
Georg request me for assistance for his Thermal Camera App and this the first proof of concept for Super Resolution.
Georg still has no F1 G2 camera  :-\

For this proof of concept we wrote a small python script, optimized for low CPU performance of Android devices (or PcDuino3  ;) ).

It's a classical multi-frame super-resolution with
- registration (find the shifts)
- average (stacking)
- sharpen

For the registration I tested several methods of motion analysis with opencv library.
http://docs.opencv.org/2.4/modules/video/doc/motion_analysis_and_object_tracking.html
estimateRigidTransform make a great job (estimate rotations, translations and scaling)

A problem for stacking of images with large shifts or rotations is the great distortion of the F1 G2 lens.
Therefore I reduced the SR processing in the video above for scenes with minor shifts
(less than 4 pixel/frame => 36 pixel/second, with 56° hor. FOV -> 36/160*56 = 12° per second movement) 
... and this works  fine

Tomas123, are you or Georg planning to write a version of that F1 G2 thermal camera app for those of us poor saps who have the FLIR One for iOS?  I'm dying for somebody to create an app like that for my version of the F1 G2

Offline in.Vitro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2016, 03:27:33 am »
who have the FLIR One for iOS?  I'm dying for somebody to create an app like that for my version of the F1 G2

Oh yes, PLEASE DO THAT! :(

Offline joe-c

• Frequent Contributor
    • Joe-c.de
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2016, 10:10:46 pm »
Hey, in which state is the App for Android?
i don't found a "Fone Ultimate" in play store.
Freeware Thermal Analysis Software: ThermoVision_Joe-C
Some Thermal cameras: Kameras

Offline NathanFowler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2016, 07:31:29 pm »
who have the FLIR One for iOS?  I'm dying for somebody to create an app like that for my version of the F1 G2

Oh yes, PLEASE DO THAT! :(

100% this!

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2016, 08:39:33 pm »
Hello community

I released today the advanced version of my Thermal Camera app :D. The new app is called Thermal Camera+ for Flir One.

It has some new and long awaited features like multi-frame super resolution algorithm and some new methods for picture saving.
The new method supports the real color image and the MSX and without MSX thermal images.
All pictures can then also be managed by the new in-app gallery.

It also has an adjust for the MSX offset and a manual / automatic shutter mode (long click on the shutter icon).

- George

Multi-frame super resolution example:

Without super resolution, that means the native Flir One resolution:

And with the new multi-frame super resolution algorithm:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 08:46:53 pm by gansgar »

The following users thanked this post: encryptededdy

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2016, 06:40:13 am »
Great work with the super-resolution. :-+

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2016, 07:49:35 am »
Thank you. It was some hard work to get it running. I had there luckly a ton of support by tomas123, who at the end made the stable sr algorithm that is currently in the app.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2016, 09:21:05 am »
George,

Really great work. My thanks to you and Tomas123. The super resolution mode will be interesting to play with.

Thank you for your hard work on this project.

Fraser

Offline Neverther

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2016, 03:22:04 pm »
I was going to ask if the saturation problem had been fixed on the app, but then tried to test it.

Lesson 101, how to get paying customers:

Propably not...

Does the same if I try launching the app with no camera connected.
Sent crash report.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2016, 10:19:39 pm »
A unintentional crash of the free app.
Flir changed the SDK to 1.1.4 and therefore we got some new troubles.
Georg will fix it for the free app.

Edit: crash is fixed :-+

@Neverther
Please describe your "saturation problem"

Offline Neverther

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2016, 12:36:57 pm »
My post in this thread on 01-05-2016
Tested it now and it seems to be fixed altough I do not have anything too hot to test it with at the moment.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2016, 01:23:59 pm »
the flir one specs give us max 120°C
Scene temperature range: -4°F to 248°F (-20° to 120°C)

Lepton 3 datasheet:
Intrascene Range Minimum and maximum scene temperature 0 K to >400 K (126°C)

Georgs app is not limited to 120°C, therefore you get temperature values until 200°C.
But this values over 120°C are absolute inaccurate (not calibrated) and you get a odd clipping (NaN = not a number) at around 200°C. :)

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2016, 01:30:47 pm »
I assume because you have an overflow error. The values of the camera have only 2^15 (~32000) possibilities. After that comes -32000, which isn't a valid value. For example the temperature calculation uses a log to satisfy plancks law and as we all know: log(x), where x<0 is equal to Not A Number (NAN).

That is also shown in the app. The minimum temperature is NaN and if you limit the minimum, you can see that the to hot spots are actually registered as very cold.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 01:34:14 pm by gansgar »

Offline Neverther

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2016, 01:52:33 pm »
Yep, but at the time the flir msx mode could cope with it being hot and not break the whole scale (like in the attached pictures).

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2016, 08:38:41 pm »
Bought the + version, thanks for the app.

Some notes

For MSX alignment, one swipes in the opposite axis of the MSX shift. I think it would be more intuitive if the swipe was in the direction of the shift (or at least axis)

The super resolution icon freeze in whatever state it was in, when switching to MSX

Also, it would be cool if one could adjust the MSX strength (or maybe a "super" MSX using the phones camera for higher res, but realize may not be simple)

« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 08:43:42 pm by ChunkyPastaSauce »

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2016, 10:18:05 pm »
Those are valid points. I'll fix them.

The last point is really not worth the effort.
I use the MSX of the Flir SDK. This means that the calculations for MSX are not done by my algorithms also. But it also means that it uses the real color camera on the Flir One, which only supports VGA resolution. If I would like to introduce a "super MSX", I would be needed to do by myself a dewarp of the image, finding a formula to calculate the offset between the Thermal Image and the Real Color one. Till here it isn't even considered that the user would need to input the offset between the thermal camera and your phones camera.
All in all: It is possible, but definitely not worth the effort.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 10:24:51 pm by gansgar »

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2016, 10:23:48 pm »
Sounds good, and thanks for the app

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2016, 10:25:50 pm »
Thank you. It was a fun thing to do and I learned a lot through it (mostly how to organize big projects).

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2016, 10:57:41 pm »
I promised I would pay for this program and I just paid for the + version. I will also be installing it on my other two phones so that makes three upgrades sold to me :)

Thanks again to you both for all the hard work

Fraser

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2016, 11:05:53 pm »
Thank you for the support.

:D

George

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2016, 11:22:13 am »
George as 17 year-old student is pleased with the additional pocket money.
Please don't forget to vote the app in the play store :)

As I posted above, I wrote the SR algorithmus for Georg.
see https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-one-android-app-with-full-lepton-sensor-resolution/msg929260/#msg929260

The image enhancement with multiframe super resolution is most visible in taken (still) images.
Our brain make an own superresolution (stacking) if our eyes "record" a 9 frames/second live view, therefore the enhancement is not so clearly visible in the "live view".

Unfortunately the SR don't improve the thermal sensitivity, but it works great on fine structures.
There are some SR parameters inside the algorithm, which are currently fixed values to simplify the use of the app (number of detected edges, max. offset of following images, count of stacked images, exponential moving average etc.).

I would be glad about comments on the SR ...

Offline NathanFowler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2016, 09:51:08 pm »
Stumbled across this today:

https://www.reddit.com/r/flirone/comments/4a7465/slow_rendering_ive_tweaked_the_flir_one_example/

http://developer.flir.com/forums/topic/samsung-s7-slow-and-glitchy-stock-app-why-also-a-kind-of-work-around/

Figured I'd share.  All the best and cheers.

Edit: Alternative link, and of course Thomas is there :)  Old news is exciting I guess... sorry for the thread noise.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 09:55:05 pm by NathanFowler »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2016, 10:30:44 am »

http://developer.flir.com/forums/topic/samsung-s7-slow-and-glitchy-stock-app-why-also-a-kind-of-work-around/
...and of course Thomas is there :) 

yes, we are a flir one hacker community  ;)
It's the same Sarah, who wrote the review for Georgs App (see attachment)

P.S: I got no feedbacks about SR algorithm :(
(number of detected edges, max. offset of following images, count of stacked images, exponential moving average etc.).

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2016, 09:22:56 pm »
Unfortunately the SR don't improve the thermal sensitivity, but it works great on fine structures.
There are some SR parameters inside the algorithm, which are currently fixed values to simplify the use of the app (number of detected edges, max. offset of following images, count of stacked images, exponential moving average etc.).

I would be glad about comments on the SR ...

Looking at the image output image.... I bet you could pull out some more detail using traditional unsharpen masks, high pass filter or something else maybe in realtime. Deblurring probably would also work well (but I think is usually computationally expensive).
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 09:28:49 pm by ChunkyPastaSauce »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2016, 12:52:35 am »
There is already a gauss sharpen filter implemented.
If you set the gauss filter stronger (like on real images) then you get halos around structures with false thermal values.
(It's by design)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2016, 08:20:57 am »
A sample from a dishwasher.
All images are taken of the same position/distance.

original images from Georgs Thermal Camera+ App without post processing

"native Lepton Sensor Resolution 160x120" compared with "bilineare filtering and multiframe super resolution"  (minor differences from freehand shooting)

original Flir One MSX image shot with Flir One SDK (it's same image distance but Flir cropped the image to 120x90 sensor pixels) 

after removing MSX with Flir Tools for Android (Flir Tools reduces the image size  :( )

and now after opening the image with Flir Tools for PC (a postage stamp  |O):

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2016, 02:22:41 pm »
next sample:

Georgs Thermal Camera+ App  160x120 vs. hacked Flir Ex 320x240

Lepton 160x120

Flir Ex 320x240

- shifted point of views, because the cameras have differents FOV (field of view)
- the Ex image is a Screenshot from Flir Tools because the original radiometric jpg is a stamp  :palm:

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2016, 11:08:20 pm »
@Tomas123,

Thanks for the images.

I must say I am impressed with what can be achieved with the LEPTON 3 based FLIR ONE. The original FLIR app just does not do it justice.

Fraser
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 10:27:29 am by Fraser »

The following users thanked this post: encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2016, 09:51:29 am »
Flir is surely not interested in, to get all image capabilities from a 160x120 thermal camera in a 250USD price segment.

We know, that Flirs hardware costs for a 320x240 E8 are under 1000 USD (that is the price for E4 80x60) and Flir sells the E8 for 4000 USD.

Therefore the Flir One SDK with the 14 bit radiometric sensor values is a nice back door.

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2016, 10:47:36 am »
You are getting really great images out of Lepton3 core...  :-+

I wonder if Peltier module could improve images even more.
On Seek it really makes a huge signal to noise improvement...

My Seek is dead again with the same blank screen and now I'm angry at myself for not buying Flir One when it was 175€ on amazon.co.uk. :-/O

Offline NathanFowler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2016, 01:18:35 am »
Simply amazing quality!  I wish I were on Android, would either of you two (Georg/Tomas) consider developing a ported version to iOS, I am sure we could start a kickstarter campaign and I would happily donate $100 USD for such amazing work!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2016, 09:40:12 am »
The lepton sensor (lens) has a great sharpness, therefore we can make some great image enhancements.

But the NETD (noise equivalent differential temperature) is not so good as a hacked (!) Ex camera.

The Lepton Data Sheet give us a thermal sensitivity <50 mK, but see the difference:

The Ex image (on the left side ;D) is the original jpg size 240x320 OOC (out of camera) with the imprinted scale. Georgs temperature scale is outside the thermal image.

And believe me, I tried many software tricks to improve the NETD of the lepton sensor, but without noticeable success.
It seems, that Flir makes a great job with his own image post processing algorithmus (calculate RAW from sensor ADC values).
They are brand leaders with such small (=noisy) uncooled microbolometer without temperature stabilisation.

There is a heating element inside the Ex for temperature stabilisation, but this cost some battery power...

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2016, 03:32:46 pm »
Georgs app also saved the (cropped) Flir radiometric jpg from the scene above.

Now we can see, how aggressive Flir denoise algorithm works:

Flir Tools for Android

same image saved with Flir Tools for PC (Flit Tools for PC change the palette, therfore we see more contrast)

after enlarging the denoised image, we see the well known denoise patterns

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2016, 03:33:15 pm »
Tomas123,

A minor correction. The E4 microbolometer is not actively temperature stabilised. It uses generic offset tables and the fact that the microbolometer self heats to a temperature equilibrium of around 30C

This where budget cameras often differ to more expensive models.

Fraser

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2016, 03:57:45 pm »
sorry, we discussed last year about this topic  :)

My E40 stabilize the microbolometer temperature also a hour after a simple shutoff (this standby mode for fast restart has also the Ex)
There is a red LED inside (visible trough the SD slot) which indicate this "heating".
After a hour in standby modus (camera off but red LED inside is on) the E40 immediately make correct measurements without a tilde (~24°C).
You say "self generated heat" and I think, there is heat source for faster reach the 30°C for correct measurements.

Certainly I am wrong, but it's so simple to implement  ...
We both now, there is no cooling ;-)

@Tomas123

Not exactly.... The microbolometer is not actively heated. The microbolometer generates its own internal heat as a result of the on die electronics (ROIC etc) this self generated heat normally raises the die temperature to approximately 30 Degrees C. I say approximately as there is no control over the temperature. It just settles at an equilibrium point but this could be 28C or 32C, it cannot be held stable.

The offset table was centred on 30degrees C as that is the natural operating temperature of the die at normal ambient temperatures of around 20 Degrees C.

The reason for the tilde symbol next to the temperature reading after start-up is that the microbolometer die will be at ambient and needs time for its die to rise in temperature to the equilibrium point of around 30C. Until it hits that equilibrium the readings are not considered accurate as the offset table is not able to compensate.

All of the above comes from direct discussions with FLIR  ;)

With regard to the power down sequence on the camera. The camera drops back to a low power standby mode that facilitates a fast start. After a period of time the camera drops back to the full sleep mode that consumes minimal power. It takes longer to start from sleep as it is a cold boot rather than a warm boot from standby. It's very much like modern laptop behaviour.

Aurora

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2016, 07:57:40 pm »
Hello community,

Flir has updated just recently their SDK with a great new feature: Flir One and Cat S60 support.
I updated today my app to the new SDK, but before I release it to the store I would like to test it with some real Cat S60 devices.

So I invite everybody to try out the beta.
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/georg.com.flironetest_01

Give me in this thread some feedback if it works or not.
Because the Cat S60 only has a Lepton sensor resolution of 80x60 some feedback through images would be nice. (screenshot and test-shot)

- George

Offline e_sousa

• Contributor
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2016, 11:25:32 am »
Thanks for adding s60 support.
The beta version doesn't seem to be working on my device though
It will either get stuck asking for the flir one to be connected or showing a all black image and crashing after a few seconds.
Also i can hear a click sometimes, not sure if it is the thermal camera shutter or the focus on the normal camera.

I hope i managed to install the correct version, in the settings it says "2.0.0 - 13 | release"

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2016, 11:55:49 am »
Thanks for adding s60 support.
The beta version doesn't seem to be working on my device though
It will either get stuck asking for the flir one to be connected or showing a all black image and crashing after a few seconds.
Also i can hear a click sometimes, not sure if it is the thermal camera shutter or the focus on the normal camera.

I hope i managed to install the correct version, in the settings it says "2.0.0 - 13 | release"

Could you look into the settings under the app informations. Under the tab permission is the camera one on or off? If off could you activate it and try it again? I'll fix that later but just to try it out.

Could you also tell me if you have a report button after the crash?? If yes please press it that helps me to understand the error in more detail.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 12:04:18 pm by gansgar »

Offline e_sousa

• Contributor
« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2016, 02:00:48 pm »
Camera permission is ok in android settings.
Only sometimes it shows the report button after crash, i tried a few times until it showed the button box and sent a report.

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #93 on: September 04, 2016, 04:14:50 pm »
Only sometimes it shows the report button after crash, i tried a few times until it showed the button box and sent a report.
I saw the error. The problem is that it's at a position I cannot get any useful error informations from, except that the error comes from the Flir SDK.
So I compiled the Flir example application from the SDK. The google drive link contains the apk, you should activate in the settings that you can install apps from unknown sources.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1xrpkRXfbF0VmpCNXktMHBwQ2s/view?usp=sharing

And here is how you can activate unknown sources:
http://www.applivery.com/blog/android-unknown-sources/

If the example app runs I can compare it to my own code and find the error.

Offline e_sousa

• Contributor
« Reply #94 on: September 04, 2016, 06:43:16 pm »
I saw the error. The problem is that it's at a position I cannot get any useful error informations from, except that the error comes from the Flir SDK.
So I compiled the Flir example application from the SDK. The google drive link contains the apk, you should activate in the settings that you can install apps from unknown sources.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1xrpkRXfbF0VmpCNXktMHBwQ2s/view?usp=sharing

And here is how you can activate unknown sources:
http://www.applivery.com/blog/android-unknown-sources/

If the example app runs I can compare it to my own code and find the error.
I installed and played around a bit with the example app, it seems to work fine.

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #95 on: September 04, 2016, 07:13:39 pm »
Great thanks. That's a big step forward. I'll improve the app and throw out an update for all beta tester if think I fixed the problem.

- George

Offline e_sousa

• Contributor
« Reply #96 on: September 04, 2016, 09:42:01 pm »
Happy to help, anything else you need just ask.
Keep up the good work.

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2016, 02:17:56 pm »
Okay. I just upload a new beta version. I essentially just changed one line in hope that the app crashed because I used an deprecated image format. But whatsover, we are currently just trying to figure out what is going wrong.

- George

Offline e_sousa

• Contributor
« Reply #98 on: September 05, 2016, 08:49:59 pm »
It is working now, good job  :-+
I can post some sample shots later if it helps any.

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #99 on: September 05, 2016, 08:53:09 pm »
The samples would be nice. I still don't know how my app reacts to 80x60 instead of the 160x120 from the Flir One.

And also: No problem. It's fun doing it

- George

Offline e_sousa

• Contributor
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2016, 11:38:08 pm »
I took some random shots during the day.
You can clearly notice the lower thermal sensor resolution.
One thing i noticed is the app will save the normal picture in landscape if i hold the phone sideways, even though the thermal image is only portrait.

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2016, 07:51:34 am »
That looks really good for 80x60 resolution... (Cat S60 right?)

Offline e_sousa

• Contributor
« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2016, 08:04:39 am »
That looks really good for 80x60 resolution... (Cat S60 right?)

Yes, it is the Cat S60.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2016, 08:51:17 am »
thanks for shots.
(I think, the images are all post processed with Flir Tools for Android (the colored) and Flir Tools for PC (the gray scale image))

The Flir Software for the camera Flir One cropped the thermal sensor area to about 70%.
Do you see a difference in FOV (field of view) of the thermal live screens between the S60 original app  (MyFLIR for Cat S60) and Georgs app "Thermal Camera"??

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 05:50:06 pm by tomas123 »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2016, 04:07:34 pm »
Flir use image some decent interpolation on their cameras. They also use it to very good effect on the Industrial cameras when selecting digital zoom modes.

Fraser

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2016, 05:53:43 pm »
We still don't know if the Flir One G1 and G2 crops the thermal image ONLY because the VGA camera in the case doesn't have enough FOV. The Cat S60 is using it's build in camera which could have a bigger FOV. 

Offline e_sousa

• Contributor
« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2016, 08:38:53 pm »
thanks for shots.
(I think, the images are all post processed with Flir Tools for Android (the colored) and Flir Tools for PC (the gray scale image))

The Flir Software for the camera Flir One cropped the thermal sensor area to about 70%.
Do you see a difference in FOV (field of view) of the thermal live screens between the S60 original app  (MyFLIR for Cat S60) and Georgs app "Thermal Camera"??

I did process the images with flir tools for android, the app puts out 1Mb+ files and i resaved them with flir tools so they became around 150Kb. It is weird because the resolution stays the same, the smaller one was on flir tools for pc, you got it right  :)

I tried to get a good screenshot for comparison of the two apps but is not so easy without any holding base for the phone.
Still i got some lousy ones where there is clearly a difference, even if it is just cropping on the vertical ends.

EDIT: the camera may be pointing a cm or two to a side or the other but the pictures were taken at the same distance, that i am  sure.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 09:38:28 pm by e_sousa »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2016, 09:39:34 pm »
thank you :-+

The difference on S60 is visible minor as by the Flir One.

Below two samples from Flir One G2 (Lepton 160x120)

here is a real live sample (shot after a small warm up time of about 2 minutes):

It’s the same shot. Compare the different FOV (field of view)

First a original image shot with the Flir App.
The App crop  >:(  the Lepton sensor to about 120x90 Pixel.
Please note the artefacts/patterns!
Flir makes a nice lens distortion correction of the Lepton sensor for best MSX overlaying  ;)

real  Lepton sensor 160x120 (no image postprocessing and with noise/grain because the temperature spread is only 4 Kelvin)

and

image shot from FlirOne App (about 120x90 Sensor Pixel)

with the modified SDK App I shot a full size Lepton image (without image postprocessing): 160x120 ThermalLinearFlux14BitImage

a good visible barrel distortion

as attachment the radiometric jpgs for using with flir tools

Offline newex

• Contributor
« Reply #108 on: September 08, 2016, 11:04:59 am »
hi, George
Thanks for you great work!
But I have a strange trouble with my Xiaomi mi note 2.
Free app works perfectly.

But Thermal Camera+ has a problem with the video camera.

Flir One app also does not work. What does this mean?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109 on: September 08, 2016, 01:44:19 pm »
Is your free app the current beta app (Version 2.0.0)?

The Flir SDK changed some methods for the real image...
Flir One app also does not work. What does this mean?
:)

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #110 on: September 08, 2016, 01:52:28 pm »
It could be that the apps are using a different SDK version between. I found out not a while ago that I've two SDKs in my development folder with different MD5 hashes. I now united the two app instances I had before and deactivate or activate features by the "builf flavor" they have.

So could you report back please if the link to the beta version in one of my latest posts works for you? If yes I can guarantee you (probably) that the plus app works too.

Another tip: Write the flir support. The hardware of your Flir one is probably damaged and I cannot guarantee you that it will work with later version of my app.

- George

Offline newex

• Contributor
« Reply #111 on: September 08, 2016, 04:33:28 pm »
The beta version does not work. Unfortunately now I can not regain the old version free app.
I think hardware flir one absolutely OK. It works perfectly on my nexus 10.

The following users thanked this post: Redshift1340

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #112 on: September 09, 2016, 07:50:05 am »
The beta version does not work. Unfortunately now I can not regain the old version free app.

Flir continuous develops further the "Flir One SDK".
With every SDK version some Android Devices kicked out  |O and some new devices comes in (like CAT S60). :-+

George code has no influence on the USB device communication. Therefore Georg can't  support Android devices, which don't support of the last Flir SDK version.

the SDK changes the methods for getting the visible real image
see http://developer.flir.com/forums/topic/deprecated-renderedimage-imagetype-visualjpegimage/

with old SDK 1.0.2 George used the VisualJPEGImage function...

VisualJPEGImage
Visual JPEG image data

VisualYCbCr888Image
Visual YCbCr image data

... and with current Android SDK 1.2.5
VisibleAlignedRGBA8888Image
Visible image data aligned with the thermal image

VisibleUnalignedYUV888Image
Visible unaligned image from the camera

VisualJPEGImage
Deprecated.

VisualYCbCr888Image
Deprecated.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 08:14:11 am by tomas123 »

Offline eternalone

• Contributor
« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2016, 02:46:36 am »
Great job on your thermal app. I bought it.  :-+

Perhaps an option in your next update to turn off the temperature scale so it won't be in the pictures if it isn't needed? Or an option to use your own color palettes? That would be wow. :popcorn:  :-DMM

Offline sam1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2016, 06:29:45 am »
Hi, I don't have a FlirOne right now, but I have a few questions.

Does it have a minimal temperature span limit? If yes, is it hacked in this "hacked app"? (For example, E4 have a minimal temp span of 4C degree, but can be hacked to only 1C to get more details.)

Tomas123 mentioned there's a noise-reduction in the original app, has it been removed in this "hacked app"? I really don't like it because it ruined the details, I prefer a more original image.

Thanks!

Offline valere

• Contributor
    • Instants perdus (photo)
« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2016, 02:29:55 pm »
Hi,

I purchased the Thermal Camera+ for Flir One app, however on my low cost Amazon Fire 7 it has issues with camera connection (jt works but its randomly annoying - most probably related to stupid Fire Os / have to put a real Android).
However I'm very happy to support such initiative (I put my detailed feedback in this thread since it's highly related to testing Flir One on a low-cost table https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-one-android-on-a-low-cost-tablet/).

I would be very happy to get it working properly, since having the real-time temperature scale in °C displayed is really useful for me.

On the other hand, in my setup, it would be nice to rotate all saved images and not only the pure image output. It would be easier to edit the thermal image in Flir Tools Android or PC.

And I've yet to see the effect of the super resolution mode, well have to do better tests  :D

Thanks George for developing such app !
Valere - Electronic Engineer - Autonomous robotic designer participating to French Robotic Cup / Eurobot (President of Association Sikula Robotik)
http://sikula-robotik.desbwa.org
http://youtube.com/sikularobotik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2016, 12:12:47 pm »
On the other hand, in my setup, it would be nice to rotate all saved images and not only the pure image output. It would be easier to edit the thermal image in Flir Tools Android or PC.
Unfortunately the Flir SDK contains no feature for rotating the thermal radiometric jpgs.  Therefore Georg can't fix this "bug".
Furthermore we can't rotate this special jpgs with a photo editor (post processing)  :-\
Only Flir Tools can rotate this images  :-+

SDK:
save(java.io.File file, RenderedImage.Palette previewPalette, RenderedImage.ImageType previewImageType)
Saves a thermal JPEG file, which has a rendered visual preview and embedded thermal data.

a sample
Code: [Select]
lastSavedPath = path+ "/" + fileName;
renderedImage.getFrame().save(new File(lastSavedPath), RenderedImage.Palette.Iron, RenderedImage.ImageType.BlendedMSXRGBA8888Image);
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 12:19:33 pm by tomas123 »

Offline valere

• Contributor
« Reply #117 on: December 22, 2016, 11:04:48 am »
Unfortunately the Flir SDK contains no feature for rotating the thermal radiometric jpgs.  Therefore Georg can't fix this "bug".
Furthermore we can't rotate this special jpgs with a photo editor (post processing)  :-\
Only Flir Tools can rotate this images  :-+

That's really unfortunate indeed, let's say : "hey FLIR, SDK need to be improved... oh wait they will release a new product instead* ! "

The inside background of the Flir One Box said, if you have any feedback write mail to M. ..... from FLIR, which I did. They answered nicely, however, about many improvements I underlined (including software ones), they said that since FLIR One G2 is on the market for nearly 12 months a new product will come soon... This is interesting but well Flir, please, do your homework on software.

In another thread I've seen someone (maybe the thermal processing application for PC) or a PhP script which managed to recreate the thermal jpeg, so maybe there is room for a merge in knowledge (but it should have been a feature of the SDK). I would really like to find enough time to do that myself, but..., not yet, and it's a little far from embedded I would not be as efficient as embedded / robotic features dev.

I'll use the hardware fix, I'm waiting for an extension wire. Or, when I'll be motivated, I may install a custom android on the tablet and made it think top is bottom. ;-)

« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 11:07:10 am by valere »
Valere - Electronic Engineer - Autonomous robotic designer participating to French Robotic Cup / Eurobot (President of Association Sikula Robotik)

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: December 23, 2016, 04:13:45 pm »
@Valere,

Just for information.

FLIR very carefully crafted the FLIR One Gen2 and its associated software so as to not compete with other cameras in their range.

Meetings were held to decide which features were to be included in the offering, and which would not. The inability to switch off the MSX was a direct result of such meetings. FLIR designed the FLIR One G2 camera as an entry level consumer product and have no intention of providing enhancements or options that would make it a bargain priced competitor to their more expensive cameras. Just good marketing. They never intended the FLIR One G2 to be a 'serious' thermal camera for use in industry or thermography. It is basically equivalent to a really cheap visible light digital camera used for party photos  ;D

The Radiometric LEPTON 3 has only just been officially released. FLIR will likely wish to develop the LEPTON 3 market further by designing it into all manner of equipments. We may even see development in the automotive safety market following in the footsteps of the AUTOLIV/FLIR partnership. A replacement for the FLIR One G2 would need to offer something new to the market as other cameras are now available to compete against it. I know that FLIR wish to increase the LEPTON series resolution further. Increasing the resolution means increasing the microbolometer die dimensions and a newer optical block to cope with this and the higher resolution. Expect to see a Lepton 4 in due course but it will likely be slightly larger and possibly with more conventional optics.

Fraser

Offline valere

• Contributor
« Reply #119 on: December 25, 2016, 06:01:04 pm »
FLIR very carefully crafted the FLIR One Gen2 and its associated software so as to not compete with other cameras in their range.
Indeed, this I already guessed  ;).

Meetings were held to decide which features were to be included in the offering, and which would not. The inability to switch off the MSX was a direct result of such meetings.

FLIR designed the FLIR One G2 camera as an entry level consumer product and have no intention of providing enhancements or options that would make it a bargain-priced competitor to their more expensive cameras. Just good marketing. They never intended the FLIR One G2 to be a 'serious' thermal camera for use in industry or thermography. It is basically equivalent to a really cheap visible light digital camera used for party photos  ;D
This is indeed a logical marketing move, despite me disliking many stupid marketing moves... I respect that they have done this without getting away all the usefulness of the product, because for my use it's a huge improvement over "virtually nothing", and paying two or four times the price would not really have been an option for the time being (getting a decent lab power supply would have been far higher in my list).

You are right, Flir One G2 is among other things a digital camera for electronic (not music) party :-DD , it intents to be able to know which component will first release its magic smoke  ;D

The Radiometric LEPTON 3 has only just been officially released. FLIR will likely wish to develop the LEPTON 3 market further by designing it into all manner of equipments. We may even see development in the automotive safety market following in the footsteps of the AUTOLIV/FLIR partnership.
I wasn't aware of this automotive target, this is extremely interesting I will follow those developments. On the other hand I also purchased the FLIR One G2 to see what can be done with a lepton sensor in case I decided that it can be useful for a totally different purpose (using the Lepton only available part).

A replacement for the FLIR One G2 would need to offer something new to the market as other cameras are now available to compete against it. I know that FLIR wish to increase the LEPTON series resolution further.
Well, in fact I wasn't exactly speaking in the vacuum... Inside the box of the Flir One G2 there was a nice message saying, "if you have any feedback write mail to someone in Flir (name.lastname1 [at] flir dot com) .... that I did  8). I detailed seven points : moving spot point, thermal scale with °C, rubber allowing recharge, rubber vs spacer compatibility, wire micro USB extender, MSX on/off, better compatibility list (including app on other app store market such as a****).

To be honest, first, I was more curious to see if it was for "marketing" purposes or a real feedback wish than waiting for anything.
It seems it is a real feedback (wish is also an amazingly efficient way of marketing  ::) ), which I found really nice since for me this part how a company can do things right !

And eight days after I got a nice answer saying that I wasn't the first one giving such feedback (obviously, I would have been surprised if so), and telling me the following (extract of the mail) :

[...] As this product has been on the market for nearly 12-months, we have heard from customers with many of the same comments. We have been busy responding to these insightful suggestions in our next generation of products. We will be introducing 2-new models of FLIR ONE next year. You’ll be happy to hear that virtually every one of the things on your list has been addressed and incorporated. [...]

I both happy to see that FLIR is going to provide improvements on those points and... well I purchased the actual version without the improvements... on the other hand I didn't get it for decoration I'm already using it and it's really useful as it is (a good combination of Flir One app, Flir Tools and Thermal Camera+ from George allows me a wide and efficient use). I received my micro usb wire extender, and for electronic debug with Flir One it's really handy
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 06:32:49 pm by valere »

Offline adys

• Contributor
« Reply #120 on: December 25, 2016, 07:15:41 pm »
Hi

Got today my flir one g2 and this is very good app compare to the flir one app, I bought the + version.
Is there any way to improve / control the focus ?

BTW the application is crashing a LOT and stuck a LOT also, from some reason most in rotate state of the phone.
I am with LG G3.

Thanks

« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 07:27:52 pm by adys »

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #121 on: December 25, 2016, 08:09:24 pm »
Hi

Got today my flir one g2 and this is very good app compare to the flir one app, I bought the + version.

BTW the application is crashing a LOT and stuck a LOT also, from some reason most in rotate state of the phone.
I am with LG G3.

Thanks
I had the same issue - I've been trying to get it to crash with Catlog installed so I could pass on a logcat so it can be sorted. It's certainly not just a handful of users.
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Offline adys

• Contributor
« Reply #122 on: December 25, 2016, 09:25:47 pm »
Hi

I am with LG G3.

Thanks
I had the same issue - I've been trying to get it to crash with Catlog installed so I could pass on a logcat so it can be sorted. It's certainly not just a handful of users.

Will it help?
I can do it if someone will look into it

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #123 on: December 26, 2016, 03:36:32 pm »
The crashing while connecting with the Flir One it's a pain (particularly while switching between apps).
Georg can't improve this stability, because the complete handling of the Flir One and the USB handshake it's part of the Flir SDK.
This is a closed and precompiled library (armeabi-v7a/libsystemimage.so).

There are some Android phones, which works great and some devices are more unstable   :(

Offline adys

• Contributor
« Reply #124 on: December 26, 2016, 03:40:44 pm »
The crashing while connecting with the Flir One it's a pain (particularly while switching between apps).
Georg can't improve this stability, because the complete handling of the Flir One and the USB handshake it's part of the Flir SDK.

There are some Android phones, which works great and some devices are more unstable   :(

Thank you. More than crashes,the app is hanging... just by taking a photo mostly when in rotate mode.  I can go to libary and press the buttons, but the camera view stays freeze.

I am a developer too (windows / c# c++) , so if I can help with some logging or something, please let me know.

Offline valere

• Contributor
« Reply #125 on: December 26, 2016, 04:20:08 pm »

This is indeed a real p*** in.... the  |O , on the Amazon Fire 7 (2015), it depends of the time of the day, temperature and so... I believe it depends which app is in "autostart when usb device connected" and which is "authorized by default to use this specific usb device" -> need a way in Android to give authorization to multiple app and none as default launching (but... I can't complain, I first need to get ride of Fire OS and see what's a Cyanogen Android or something like that can do). It seems to be mid-android stupidity mid FLIR SDK issue.

I really dislike the fact that the FLIR SDK Library is a precompiled for Armeabi-v7a it's a real shame, since there is Android devices which are not Arm based, and other Arm instruction set will emerge... I was ready to download the SDK to look what I can do with It but I've an issue with my FLIR Account which I've partly created by downloading Flir Tools but not totally so I can't access yet to the all system.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #126 on: December 26, 2016, 07:44:31 pm »
good news, there is a Flir SDK update

CHANGE LOG

Fixes potential unexpected IllegalArgumentException when calling Device.stopDiscovery if the Context passed to startDiscovery had already completes its lifecycle.
Improves performance by reducing memory allocation and garbage collection for USB communication.

George told me, that the communication of the Thermal Camera+ (beta with SDK 1.2.8 ) with a Samsung Note USB is now "rock stable"...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 07:46:08 pm by tomas123 »

Offline valere

• Contributor
« Reply #127 on: December 27, 2016, 09:29:01 pm »
good news, there is a Flir SDK update

CHANGE LOG

Fixes potential unexpected IllegalArgumentException when calling Device.stopDiscovery if the Context passed to startDiscovery had already completes its lifecycle.
Improves performance by reducing memory allocation and garbage collection for USB communication.

George told me, that the communication of the Thermal Camera+ (beta with SDK 1.2.8 ) with a Samsung Note USB is now "rock stable"...

Wonderfull  ;D

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #128 on: January 04, 2017, 01:24:00 am »
Looking forward to trying this app. Ordered a F1G2 from TEquipment. It's still on sale, if anyone else is looking to get one. Approximately US$200 after EEVBlog discount on the sale price.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: January 22, 2017, 12:28:18 am »
Works great with F1G2 on Nexus 5. Unfortunately, doesn't work on Nexus 7 (FLIR API limitation?).

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #130 on: January 22, 2017, 12:52:33 am »
Works great with F1G2 on Nexus 5. Unfortunately, doesn't work on Nexus 7 (FLIR API limitation?).

Does the original FLIR ONE app work for you? The old Nexus 7 (2012) could maybe miss some important hardware features, that FLIR needs (as you mentioned), because it seems to work perfectly well on the newer Nexus 7 (2013).

The following users thanked this post: firehopper

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: January 22, 2017, 03:29:31 am »
Both the official FLIR app and Georg's won't install from the Play store saying that it's not supported. Yes, it's the 2012 Nexus 7. Now that I think about it, it probably wants a rear camera for the live image blending. I'd rather have the option to use it with only the thermal image.

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #132 on: January 22, 2017, 01:09:31 pm »
You could ask Georg to send you apk and install it manualy.

Offline paradigmic

• Contributor
« Reply #133 on: January 22, 2017, 07:32:48 pm »
Both the official FLIR app and Georg's won't install from the Play store saying that it's not supported. Yes, it's the 2012 Nexus 7. Now that I think about it, it probably wants a rear camera for the live image blending. I'd rather have the option to use it with only the thermal image.

Do you have any Android device that it will install on? You can install it to another device and extract the APK to install it on the 2012 N7.

One other possibility, does the FLIR require USB OTG? If so, it won't work on the 2012 N7 at all because it does not support USB OTG, while the 2013 N7 does, so that would explain why it works there.

Offline valere

• Contributor
« Reply #134 on: January 22, 2017, 09:10:11 pm »
I don't think it required Rear Camera, it's not used (except when available for white led lighting, but I don't think it's "a requirement/condition").

Do you have any Android device that it will install on? You can install it to another device and extract the APK to install it on the 2012 N7.

I've done that for Flir Tools, installed on my Nexus 4, get the Apk and transferred it on low-cost Amazon Fire 7.
On the opposite I've installed Flir One Official App on the Amazon fire 7 and get the apk, installed it on the Nexus 4... it's not working because OTG is not activated in the Kernel (hardware available, but without power on the USB port, so need to root / change ROM to get part-OTG support, which is sufficient for Flir One since it has it very own battery).

One other possibility, does the FLIR require USB OTG? If so, it won't work on the 2012 N7 at all because it does not support USB OTG, while the 2013 N7 does, so that would explain why it works there.

Flir One and App from George require usb OTG. As far as I read OTG support for Nexus 7 2012 is fluctuating, some version of Android doesn't support it, some need configuration, and some work directly. I suggest you dig about Nexus 7 2012 OTG / storage / ethernet USB / media importers, you may or may not need to root it / replace the ROM by a newer Android version (at your own risk).

If you are not ready to take risk (if needed), you could find a phone with a faulty SIM (someone did so with Motorola for something like 30$, maybe Fraser) or you could take a low-cost tablet such as Amazon Fire 7 (need a bit tweaking but works like a charm without root or ROM flash - I've written a post on my experience).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 09:20:30 pm by valere »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2017, 01:17:42 am »
It works fine on the Nexus 5. So, I'm fine for now. Thanks for the additional N7 info.

The indeterminate OTG support is likely the reason the Play store doesn't risk installing it to the N7 2012. At some point I'll root the N7 to update it to Marshmallow. Then, I can try loading the APK, but it's not urgent.

Next is to buy the plus version and check out the additional features.

Offline valere

• Contributor
« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2017, 03:47:57 pm »
It works fine on the Nexus 5. So, I'm fine for now. Thanks for the additional N7 info.

The indeterminate OTG support is likely the reason the Play store doesn't risk installing it to the N7 2012. At some point I'll root the N7 to update it to Marshmallow. Then, I can try loading the APK, but it's not urgent.

Cool ! You can try without rooting for the APK thing, use something like AirDroid on your Nexus 5 to download the APK on your pc (works like a charm), then send it on the N7 and authorize installation from "any source" temporarily (obviously in this case you are the source so it's safe enough). None of that require "root" but like you said, we are not sure if this version of Android on your N7 is OTG nice so it may or may not work at the end.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2017, 08:51:18 pm »
Thanks for the info about AirDroid. I'll give that a try. I've used a USB drive on the N7 before via OTG cable, so there's a good chance the cam will work.

Offline valere

• Contributor
« Reply #138 on: January 24, 2017, 12:59:28 pm »
Thanks for the info about AirDroid. I'll give that a try. I've used a USB drive on the N7 before via OTG cable, so there's a good chance the cam will work.
Indeed, if OTG/USB Drive works, it's likely it will work too.
- Install Air Droid (N5)
- Connect on the same network
- Access your phone (probably even from the N7 in fact) from a web browser "http://192.168.xx.xx:8888/" (as said by air droid) / no need to create an online account for this
- Choose "Apps"
- Download the wanted APK

Offline firehopper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #139 on: February 11, 2017, 07:53:26 pm »
it also works on a samsung note 4 as well! and love the app, I guess if I want videos I have to use the regular app hun?

Does the original FLIR ONE app work for you? The old Nexus 7 (2012) could maybe miss some important hardware features, that FLIR needs (as you mentioned), because it seems to work perfectly well on the newer Nexus 7 (2013).

Offline firehopper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #140 on: February 13, 2017, 08:38:21 am »
btw I did purchase the app for my use.. Well done georg! will rate next time it asks me :)

Offline gansgar

• Contributor
« Reply #141 on: February 13, 2017, 05:36:52 pm »
Do other apps ask for that? Because mine doesn't. ;D

Offline uboot

• Contributor
« Reply #142 on: November 21, 2023, 07:54:27 am »
Is there any change to get an updated / fixed version of that Thermal Camera+ app for recent Android versions? Because it just keeps crashing on Android 12, 13, and 14 and didn't receive any updates since 2017.

Looks like being abandoned by the developer  :-\

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf