Author Topic: FLIR one G2 ghosting problem  (Read 4453 times)

Offline thefamilymanTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
FLIR one G2 ghosting problem
« on: March 15, 2018, 09:49:11 pm »
After a couple of flawless years using my G2 with the fantastic Thermal Camera+ app, I decided to try out the latest iteration of FLIR's own app.
This is where an extremely annoying problem has occured on my FLIR one now.
Ever since I ran the FLIR one app my FLIR one G2 now has developed a problem where it would retain a ghost thermal image until it's next recalibration.
So when it calibrates for the first time it 'burns' in an image and it ghosts while you move around until next calibration, and then that instantaneous image is also 'burnt' in and so on and so forth.

It seems to be a firmware problem it seems I'm guessing because it happens on both the thermal camera+ app and FLIR's own app now.

I'm unsure how to rectify this, I've deleted the FLIR app and restarted the phone, but not sure what to do now.

The included pictures is the hardware and firmware versions of my FLIR one G2 and an example picture.
In the picture is of some houses, you can see the rooftops are still on the image as I've reframed a little bit and look the photo.

Offline railrun

• Regular Contributor
Re: FLIR one G2 ghosting problem
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 06:34:37 am »
I believe it’s the shutter that do not work correctly.

Offline bap2703

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 07:33:13 am »
That's the reason : you are correcting while actually viewing the scene, and not the blank shutter.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 12:44:31 pm »
The shutter module that attaches to the front of the Lepton core is both fragile and infamous for not operating due to a poor connection between it and the core contact pads. I suspect the use of the FLIR app may just be a coincidence in this case. If the camera was bumped it could cause this problem. The fix is to carefully dismantle the camera and inspect the Lepton shutter assembly. It may have become semi-detached or just moved enough to break the contacts with the core pads.

Fraser
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 12:47:42 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

The following users thanked this post: thefamilyman

Offline thefamilymanTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 03:42:20 am »
Thanks heaps.
I was actually waiting for your reply as I know you're the resident expert in thermal cameras here  ;D

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 02:03:27 am »
The same can happen with any other bolometer camera, the flag stuck open during a Non-Uniformity Correction causes a ghost image of the scene to be calibrated in.

You can test it by having a blank (hand etc) over the lens at the calibration time.  Then it will be fine until the next one.  Cameras with a big flag can usually be heard or felt when it operates.
Some cameras actively close the flag when turned off, these of course can stick shut.  The key symptom here is a blank grey but noisy image.  The same as an iris stuck shut on Raytheon BST / tube cameras.

All this should not be confused with 'image burn' where a ghost of a very hot source persists for a few minutes, caused simply by the pixels cooling down again, each NUC looks OK initially until the ghost reappears.

Bill

Offline LesioQ

• Regular Contributor
  • Every king should be naked.
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 11:12:56 am »
I have the same effect on SeekThermal XR  after bare sensor UV exposure. The image update is predominantly single frame after the shutter cycle.
Further frames show only outlines with slight image changes.
Was also hoping that re-firmware would help, so far no know-how.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf