Author Topic: FLIR One Gen2 failure investigation + FULL RESET method by Fraser  (Read 91686 times)

Offline Dracula

Re: FLIR One Gen2 failure investigation + FULL RESET method by Fraser
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2017, 02:52:03 pm »
Hi Fraser,
I have an F1 2G camera that worked well last week, but I may have left it on so now when plugged into charger shows orange steady light o the power button and not charging - so I assume I drained its battery. I would like to unplug the battery to get it to reset - would you please advise how to get the camera open? Also, is there another way to reset the camera without opening it?
Thank you!

Offline Mjolinor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2017, 02:56:24 pm »

If the battery is completely flat it is already reset. Plug the charger in and hold the power button down for a full 2 minutes. That will force charge the battery for a short time after which it will probably behave normally.

Online FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2017, 03:00:19 pm »
Before opening the camera, connect the charger and keep the power button pressed for a while. I use an elastic band holding a small nylon nut against the power button. According to FLIR, this enables trickle charging of the battery to a point where the battery is again recognised by the charge management IC.
Try 15 minutes first and see if it works. If not, try 30 minutes etc.

The rear of the cameras case is field in p,ace by double sided tape located at several points around its edge lip. I use a thin sharp modelling knife to ease the rear panel off of the camera. I have also used a razor blade along the straight edge and just pressed it into the gap befor levering the rear panel up and out of the camera case. Take care not to damage the case edges in the process.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Dracula

« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2017, 06:56:45 pm »
Thank you Fraser and Mjolinor for your advice! I have force-recharged the battery to the point where the orange light stays on all the time, but the camera still won't work with the phone, and it would not charge either. Is there anything else I can do? Would you be willing to take a shot at fixing it?

Offline Mjolinor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2017, 07:16:48 pm »

Force charging (power button held in) puts about 300 ma into the battery but it will drop as the battery charge approaches full. It will not damage the battery. I have used a G clamp to hold the button in for hours.

If that doesn't work then you will have to take it apart.

Offline Dracula

« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2017, 07:47:02 pm »
Now, when I unplug the charging cable, the orange light stays on - so I guess the battery is charged, but the camera still won't work. Is there anything else I can try?

Offline Mjolinor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2017, 08:20:37 pm »

Just take the back off and disconnect the battery.

Offline Dracula

« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2017, 12:19:18 am »
Thank you guys for your help! Alas, the reboot procedure did not work as the power button stays orange after battery reconnect, would not go off or green. What a piece of junk. I needed a good IR camera to check on a window replacement job, so ordered a $400 FLIR One Pro unit from Home Depot. Will do the job then return it within three months. I know this is not very nice, but FLIR should have built good G2 cameras in the first place.

Offline Mjolinor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2017, 06:47:35 am »

They are pretty badly made and sticking a battery in there was a mistake given that they will tend not to be used every day.

The Lepton module is a cracking thing and they go and ruin it with the worlds worst, cheapest PCB that monkeys or aardvarks have soldered.

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2017, 12:39:24 pm »

They are pretty badly made and sticking a battery in there was a mistake given that they will tend not to be used every day.

The Lepton module is a cracking thing and they go and ruin it with the worlds worst, cheapest PCB that monkeys or aardvarks have soldered.

Unfair on aardvarks.
 :-DD

Bill

Online FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2017, 12:46:07 pm »
Yes sadly the F1G2 does seem to have been a model prone to failure. It, like some other FLIR models, is manufactured by a third party in China. FLIR just provide the core etc. I have to wonder whether the new F1G3 is manufactured by a different Chinese factory with a more reliable build ? Let us hope so.

Another example of building down to a price and quality suffering maybe ?

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2017, 08:36:09 pm »

I also found that odd, given the typical use case. I can understand not wanting to drain the phone's battery, but it's yet another battery to maintain. Tedious.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline misterno

• Contributor
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2017, 12:39:39 pm »
Dear friends, hi from Greece,

I do buy a faulty as they told me device just to experiment. I do have an android samsung galaxy A5 2016 version with 6.01 android version.
The person who sells me the device told me that sometimes this device was working.
I put the charger in the port and charging the battery. When it shows me green light, i disconnect it from the usb charging port.
Installation of flir one apk was successful and then connect the device to my phone as app asking for.
I pushed the power button and after orange red light, the green light starts flashing.
No matter what i tried the device wasn't working. Is it any test i can do just to ensure that the device is in working state?
Do i need a different mobile phone than Samsung A5 i have?
TIA

Offline Mjolinor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2017, 12:57:45 pm »

Flashing green is the normal operating indication so I would suspect that the USB connector inside is not good and it is not connecting to the phone.

Offline misterno

• Contributor
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2017, 04:14:19 pm »
The news is that i made a DIY micro USB cable to USB and when i plugged and powered the device, the green ligh flash and the device manager founds a new device and show yellow exclamation mark.
I 'm not sure what can i do next. Any help?
TIA

Offline Mjolinor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2017, 04:17:21 pm »

Same prognosis (<< probably a Greek word?), I guess one of the data lines is broken inside the camera.

Offline uboot

• Contributor
« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2017, 02:40:58 pm »
What if there is no LED lit at all?

Just got myself a defective Flir One G2 for Android. Battery was depleted to 3.21V, no LED would light up uppon pressing power button or connecting USB charger.

I was able to charge the battery by keeping power button pressed for an hour with charger connected - it started at 900mA and slowly dropped to 7mA when I disconnected it. Sucked a total of 275mAh. Battery voltage now is at 4.04V. Just be sure to press the power button _before_ inserting the charging cable.

EDIT: squeezed in another 25mAh with external Lipo charger. Battery voltage is now at 4.22V

But still no light.  :horse:

Tried Fraser's reset method: No success.

Any ideas from you guys?

Don't have the proper torx screw drivers yet to further disassemble the unit but that's what I'm heading for next.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 05:32:06 pm by uboot »

Offline Kalber

« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2017, 03:02:34 pm »
Well, i have exactly the same problem with mine.
Bought a defective one g2. There is no light blinking, neither in the power button nor the charging port. I loaded the Batterie up to 3.5 volts externally, tried the reset procedure, but still nothing happening.
The only thing the FlirOne does, is charging with around 4 volts after pressing the power button for (around) 10seconds.
I also loosened the 5 torx screws, but found nothing special/defective on the circuit board.
So if you or someone other have the solution for this problem, i would be very grateful to hear from it.
Thanks

Offline uboot

• Contributor
« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2018, 11:50:47 am »
As from another thread (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/question-about-flir-one-for-android/), some of the BGA chips might need reflow/rework - probably the flash/ram IC - but this is something I didn't dare as I was able to return the device to the seller and get a refund. I will now either buy a new Flir G2 or a Seek Thermal Compact if the seller I found doesn't manage to obtain and ship the Flir G2 still listed as available in his shop.

But there is maybe another option for you: get a Lepton breakout board from Digikey and wire it to a Raspberry Pi:

https://damow.net/building-a-thermal-camera/
https://www.digikey.co.uk/catalog/en/partgroup/lepton-breakout-board/55730

Offline careyer

« Reply #94 on: January 01, 2019, 09:21:23 am »
FLIR One Pro (3.Gen) also having Battery Issues?

Hi all! Some time ago FLIR replaced my broken FLIR Gen.2 which self drained its battery like crazy under warranty and replaced it with a Gen.3 Pro. I have tested it for a while now and the new series seems to have the same problem again. Charged up to 100% it is down to 5% after sitting for exactly 2 month on the shelf. (i.e. self discharge of 95% in 60 days).

Can this be considered normal? Can anyone else with a Gen.3 confirm this?
What if I don't use the cam for lets say half a year? Will it deep discharge and ruin itself?

Cheers and everybody a Happy New Year!

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
« Reply #95 on: January 01, 2019, 01:12:43 pm »
Is it exposed to temperature change during it storin?

Offline careyer

« Reply #96 on: January 01, 2019, 04:06:38 pm »
No, always same temperature : 21 degree celsius ( living room)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Offline mattGray

« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2019, 11:42:45 am »
Hi All,

I have a F1 2G iOS device that has been working fine for 18 months but now can't be recognised on any of my devices.  It seems to boot and charge fine.  I have tried Frasers reset trick any ideas?

Offline schmiernippel

« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2019, 08:01:42 pm »
I have connected the vcc and ground from the usb port(phone connection) direct to the battery connector.I have completly removed the lipo battery.Works great on my lg g6 phone !

Offline autroguy

« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2019, 04:24:34 pm »
Can you please show the connections on the USB?

Thanks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf