Author Topic: Old thermal imager device  (Read 2586 times)

Offline MoxTopic starter

• Contributor
Old thermal imager device
« on: February 22, 2018, 01:31:02 am »
Picked up what seems to be a thermal imager last year, labeled as "PERI-Z59 ZUB WO-Empfanger" made by Elektro-Spezial for Philips GmbH and dated 11/79. Google hasn't been much help, anyone here familiar with the device?
Just looking for info to hopefully get it hooked up and working. I've managed to disassemble it a bit to see the electronic boards which look similar to ones in an IRC-660T teardown video I saw on the 'tube, but something is preventing me from pulling the casing off any further so cannot see what type of sensor it use. I'm hoping it's a pyroelectric vidicon type as I'd really like one of those.

Offline Spirit532

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
Re: Old thermal imager device
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 02:59:21 am »
Photos would be very helpful to identify what it is.
11/79 places it as either a super-early pyrovidicon or LN2 scanner.

Offline Cat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 07:18:41 am »
According to [1] (German surplus shop) and [2]:
The PERI Z59 is an Night Vision Device Image intensifier, which includes a small monitor. The PERI Z59 WO-Empfänger (Wärmeortungs-Empfänger = thermal locating receiver) is a thermal scanner, it does not project a picture only an image, which is shown over the monitor. Objects that are camouflaged such as vehicles or persons are not precisely indicated.
To connect the WO-Empfänger there is possibly the PERI Z59 Zub Powersupply needed.

[1] http://helmut-singer.de/stock/k1.html5.html
[2] http://www.ebay.de/itm/360474281221
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a cat.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 01:32:25 pm »
Mix,

Why do you want a Pyroelectric Vidicon based thermal camera ?

The most common PVT based cameras are the EEV/Marconi ARGUS 1 fire fighting cameras. I own several.

PVT based cameras are definitely an important part of thermal imaging history but the PVT does require some maintenance over its life. Adjustment of bias voltages etc.

I am just interested to know why you were hoping for a PVT. I might be able to equip you with such a PVT based camera or even better.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 02:19:00 pm »
Could you share some images of the device? Maybe of the insides as well?

The first source that got linked is really interesting. It seems to be an electronics reseller in a town about 1hour away from me. I looked through their website and found a lot of military grade night vision system, including version few thermal imaging systems. For other hobbies they got all kinds of optical systems and I definitely plan to go there.

Offline MoxTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 10:41:53 pm »
Here's what I managed to get of the inside plus the connector -

From measurements I estimate the section for the sensor is 17 or 16cm long, probably not cooled as there is no refill port though it may have a Stirling engine as Philips was experimenting with the technology at the time.

I'm wanting to have a PVT based camera mainly because I like the history of the technology and to have something to compare with the night vision stuff I display at public shows, hopefully this if I can get it working or an EEV P4428. I did have an MRTI before but gave up because of the 30psi ultra pure air required. Just got an IRISYS 1011 which has been very fun to use and will be great for the display.

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 11:23:28 pm »
As far as I understand it. It's part of an imaging system used in tanks. It was originally a night vision camera with image intensifiers, but they added this thermal module to it afterwards. The tank is Wiesel 1.

The use the thermal unit you need the base unit as well, and a power supply. I saw the power supply on eBay for 180€.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 11:44:09 pm »
From what I can tell it is a thermal detector rather than a thermal camera. I suspect it is aligned with the night vision image intensifier and displays a warning if a thermal source is present within the field of view. A kind of early warning system to alert the tank commander to a hidden threat that the night vision equipment cannot easily see. There is no thermal image as such produced, just a warning signal to the night vision equipment.

The detector is likely an uncooled thermopile or similar, as commonly used in modern IR thermometers. Not known for their fast response time but more than adequate in this application. It is basically a thermal 'spot meter'.

I used to own a couple of P4428 cameras but rehomed them to a museum/display project. The P4428 is quite old and could be considered collectible so prices have been rising. It is cheaper to purchase an EEV ARGUS 1 if you want a Pevicon camera. The early ISG Talisman camera also contains the Pevicon tube. We have an expert in Pevicon technology on the forum  ;)

Take a look at the Fire-Tics web site if you have not already done so.

http://www.fire-tics.co.uk/

There is a forum there where you can ask questions and obtain help  :)

There is a teardown of the P4428 and it's correct alignment on that forum as well.

Fraser
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 10:44:12 am by Fraser »

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 12:39:18 am »
I would be really interested in the germanium lenses elements that are in the unit you have. If I get to scrape the same unit for the 209€ price, it would be great to know, if the Germanium in there is anything useful.

Offline MoxTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 10:49:50 pm »
Thankyou, shame it's just a detector, but thought it was something more given all the electronics and what looked like an analogue decoder/encoder circuit. Glad I only paid 20 euro for it :)

Fraser, I might take you up on your offer of a PVT based camera, basically any type would do. Could you PM me please?

Mike

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 12:15:26 am »
Mox,

It could well be multi pixel but nothing of significant resolution. I have not been inside one of these.

20 Euro was a great price that I would have happily paid for such a unit. You did well. The lens in the unit may be single or multi element and it is Germanium. Such are very expensive New and hard to find in a decent size. I buy surplus lenses and adapt them to modern cameras.

I will PM you regarding my ARGUS 1 and Talisman Pevicon cameras.

Fraser
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 12:30:19 am by Fraser »

Offline MoxTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 02:00:51 am »
I managed to pull the 4 vertical electronics cards, can take pics if needed. The Germanium lens is about 8cm in  diameter.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf