Author Topic: FLIR T640 Video UI Overlay  (Read 3649 times)

Offline peppy88Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
FLIR T640 Video UI Overlay
« on: March 24, 2018, 12:23:42 pm »
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if there is an overlay while recording video like in the E-XX Series.
When I record the video it seems a program/application is stripping off the overlay.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 12:25:52 pm by peppy88 »

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: FLIR T640 Video UI Overlay
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 01:16:36 pm »
From what I understand, video on these cameras comes in two formats, MP4 and Radiometric Video. I am uncertain whether your issue relates to which video recording mode is active on your camera. I could not activate Radiometric video on my E40(upgraded to E60) so cannot test the differences in terms of what is displayed during a recording. It may be worth checking your video recording settings ?

Sorry if this is way off track, but it was the only thing that came to mind.

High end thermal cameras often have various video recording and streaming modes. Two are Radiometric and RGB (non Radiometric). On my cameras the RGB mode records or streams a facsimile of whatever appears on the cameras display. The Radiometric recording or streaming mode shows only the bare thermal scene without any overlays present. Such overlays are added, as required, by the image analysis software on a PC. Radiometric recording or streaming is the 'purest' data as it is the 'Raw' image without any additions, so may be analysed,  enhanced or overlays added to suit the need. An RGB recording or stream is often lower quality and the overlays are fixed so not removeable later. Such a mode is used for remote monitoring of the cameras thermal scene so the user can see the overlay information and any drop down menus. It is also useful to record events in a video format that is easily viewed on an MP4 player so the viewer can see the camera settings during the recording.

I would expect your high end camera to offer both of these modes of recording or streaming.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 01:43:02 pm »
Hi Fraser,

I noticed originally that the T640 had no radiometric. I then saw in the manual that the T660 did have radiometric. So I put the camera into RNDIS mode and modded some of the files to set the radiometric boolean to true. (three files I will post later what they were) Now I can record in CSQ format which is nice when using FLIR tools. I can add boxes, circles, lines, and points. I tried streaming via meter link to an iPad but still no overlay when saving the clip. However it would be nice to have an option for Display overlay (for mp4 mode) just like on my E40.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 01:44:40 pm by peppy88 »

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 02:30:35 pm »
You should be able to record radiometric video and ad all your overlays in post. Best option will be Research IR.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 07:51:30 pm »
And I just happen to have brand new sealed ReasearchIR 4 Max licence dongles for sale :)

Fraser

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 08:11:09 pm »
Hmm How much are they going for?

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 09:17:52 pm »
It's open to negotiation :) Open to offers :)

Fraser

Offline railrun

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 08:43:01 am »
@peppy88 can you please explain how you enabled the radiometric-recording? Thanks

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 02:49:16 pm »
What camera do you have? I will try to post the configs after work

Offline railrun

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 10:23:17 am »
Still looking for a “cheap“ T640, but I like to be prepared ;)

Offline Spirit532

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 11:05:55 am »
You're probably never going to find a cheap T6xx camera.
The lowest I've seen them go is around $8-12k, with one BNIB going for $4000 at an eBay auction recently.
Just wait until the E53 becomes cheap and hack it to 640x480 :)

Offline railrun

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 11:12:20 am »
Yes, that‘s true, but I bought my E40 for less then 1000€. So there is still hope. The new Exx wouldn‘t be that easy to be hacked. In the end they have a Tau core inside...

Offline Spirit532

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 11:25:05 am »
There are no Tau cores in modern FLIR handheld cameras.
The absolute newest devices run Linux instead of WinCE, but the T6xx series still runs WinCE.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2018, 01:04:44 pm »
@Spirit532

A minor correction.... the FLIR Kxx series contain the Venerable TAU core ;)

No surprises as the TAU2 has plenty of life left in its excellent design.

Fraser

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2018, 01:09:32 pm »
Peppy88,

I would be interested to hear how Radiometric recording can be enabled on the Exx series. I have a E40 MK1.1 (non MSX) that is upgraded to the E60 specification. I previously enabled the Radiometric recording in the configuration but no additional menu option appeared so I suspect another file needs modification to provide the menu entry.

Fraser

Offline Spirit532

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2018, 01:41:01 pm »
The Exx and Ex series cameras are incapable of radiometric recording. As far as I'm aware, it's missing the actual software functionality and the hardware is not powerful enough to save radiometric video(at 18.4MB/s).
And yeah, I missed the Kxx, they're quite an ugly duckling of a product.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2018, 02:38:28 pm »
Hi Spirit532'

Ah, that explains the situation. Thank you. The lack of the Radiometric recording is no drama for me but I did wonder what I missed to enable that function during the upgrade. There are other functions that do not work on the Exx but I am just grateful for those that I have managed to add :)

The Kxx series are very much built for a specific role and intended to be a rugged waterproof handheld thermal camera that is easy to use in challenging conditions. Many fire fighting cameras are less than beautiful to look at :) I was surprised that FLIR did not just adapt the Ex series by placing it in a more rugged case and install fire fighting custom firmware. Maybe the Ex series electronics is just not robust or capable enough for the task. High temperature capability is essential for both imaging and survival of the camera in such roles. FLIR have elected to use a version of the TAU core which is versatile and compact, but stuck with the popular pistol grip format rather than the scope format of the FLIR SCOUT or the larger screen format 'scopes' like the ARGUS 4 or Bullard Elite and Eclipse. The fire fighting thermal camera is a very different beast to what consumers or prosumers would want for general thermography. Deliberately fully automatic and with minimal controls and features. I still like and collect such cameras though. I have quite a few modern types but not a Kxx series unit. The TAU used in the Kxx series may retain its standard communications port and functionality so it might be possible to computer control the core and reconfigure it :). The TAU also offers a decent lens that can be manually adjusted with a simple tool, like with the Ex series. I have only seen one Kxx series camera on eBay and it was in a very sad state, yet was for sale at a high price.

But as you rightly say....... the Kxx series will win no beauty contests :)

Fraser
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 02:42:22 pm by Fraser »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 01:28:24 am »
You're probably never going to find a cheap T6xx camera.
The lowest I've seen them go is around $8-12k, with one BNIB going for $4000 at an eBay auction recently.
Just wait until the E53 becomes cheap and hack it to 640x480 :)

You are right it was a miracle that I was able to get mine. I bought one semi broken for $3999. The charger port was broken and viewfinder was messed up. I actually tried to repair the thing myself, but I ended up sending it in to flir for repair for $1800.  I have some pictures of the boards if you guys want them. So still ok for a $30,000 camera.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 12:44:20 pm by peppy88 »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 01:56:40 am »
Broken Connector I tried to repair. I bought the part from mouser.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/798-FH2339S0.3SHW05?r=798-FH2339S0.3SHW05
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 12:45:04 pm by peppy88 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf