Author Topic: Flir E30 MSX or no MSX?  (Read 2354 times)

Offline av8rTopic starter

• Contributor
Flir E30 MSX or no MSX?
« on: January 16, 2019, 05:36:32 pm »
I'm trying to find an E30 or better than I can update, but I'd like to know how to tell if it has MSX capability or not?  I guess I'm also interested in knowing if MSX is desirable or if the Fusion mode is essentially the same thing?

One unit I'm considering.

49001-1801
E30_B1.1
4920XXXX

Thank you

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: Flir E30 MSX or no MSX?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 06:08:07 pm »
Some quick comments....

The E30 never had MSX capability as it was discontinued with the release of the MSX equipped Mk2 models
The Mk1 Exx series are not capable of producing the full MSX functionality due to hardware limitations
The Mk2 Exx series are capable of MSX functionality and are identifiable by their later facelifted keypad layout.
MSX is a functionality that captures edge detail in teh secene using a visible light camera and overlays the edges onto the thermal image to provide scene context. Image Fusion is a standard visible light image overlaid on the thermal image with varying levels of transparaency. No edge detection or enhancement is present so the users brain needs to interpret the combined images. MSX can sometimes be easier to interpret due to the absence of a coloured visible light image conflicting wit the colours in the thermal image.

Mk1 Exx series cameras run different firmware to the later Mk2 version. The Mk1 firmware contains the very useful service menu and is easily upgraded to full resolution and additional menu's. The Mk2 may also be upgraded to full resolution and additional menus but there is nor service menu present. The increased temperature capability may only be achieved via the service menu.

The model you detailed is a 'B' suffix model intended for building survey work so has limits placed on its temperature coverage. It also may, or may not, contain the Wireless module. In some E30 models, greater temperature capability is releasable using the service menu.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

The following users thanked this post: av8r

Offline av8rTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 06:41:37 pm »
Some quick comments....

The E30 never had MSX capability as it was discontinued with the release of the MSX equipped Mk2 models
The Mk1 Exx series are not capable of producing the full MSX functionality due to hardware limitations
The Mk2 Exx series are capable of MSX functionality and are identifiable by their later facelifted keypad layout.
MSX is a functionality that captures edge detail in teh secene using a visible light camera and overlays the edges onto the thermal image to provide scene context. Image Fusion is a standard visible light image overlaid on the thermal image with varying levels of transparaency. No edge detection or enhancement is present so the users brain needs to interpret the combined images. MSX can sometimes be easier to interpret due to the absence of a coloured visible light image conflicting wit the colours in the thermal image.

Mk1 Exx series cameras run different firmware to the later Mk2 version. The Mk1 firmware contains the very useful service menu and is easily upgraded to full resolution and additional menu's. The Mk2 may also be upgraded to full resolution and additional menus but there is nor service menu present. The increased temperature capability may only be achieved via the service menu.

The model you detailed is a 'B' suffix model intended for building survey work so has limits placed on its temperature coverage. It also may, or may not, contain the Wireless module. In some E30 models, greater temperature capability is releasable using the service menu.

Fraser

I'm not concerned with wifi or bluetooth. 

If the keyboard has the "OK" button on the upper left it is a MKI?

Thank you for your input.  There's a lot on here regarding these, but it's difficult to nail it all down due to all the threads and posts.

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 07:18:22 pm »
If the keyboard has the "OK" button on the upper left it is a MKI?
Yes, this would be a MK1.

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 09:18:46 pm »
You can still get MSX with MK1 in post pretty easily with FLIR Tools though. Just depends if you need it in camera or not. Personally I don't need it, but it is a cool feature. To get it in post with a MK1, take a still image with fusion. When you view it in FLIR Tools you can change the image style preset from Fusion to MSX and even vary how strongly it adds detail.

Offline cq-317

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 02:40:03 am »
My E30BX doesn't have msx functionality, but it has wifi and Bluetooth capabilities after cracking.

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 04:17:58 pm »
As I mentioned, it can do MSX in post processing with FLIR Tools if you take the image in Fusion or PIP mode. Some cameras have the hardware for wifi etc. and some don't.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf