Author Topic: Fraser has been selling his cameras - yes it is true :)  (Read 6010 times)

Offline FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Fraser has been selling his cameras - yes it is true :)
« on: March 03, 2018, 10:55:05 pm »
I did not think I would see the day when I could part with some of my thermal cameras. As a self confessed thermal camera addict and collector, it is very hard to part with ones 'babies'  :) Fellow collectors may know this feeling.

At the beginning of the year I decided to stop adding cameras to the collection unless they were for parts, unusual, or for restoration and resale. In other words, not for hoarding ! So far I am mostly complying with that New Years Resolution  :)

I have recently been approached by fellow forum members who are seeking a decent thermal camera from someone trustworthy and at a fair price. I guess they thought I qualified ! So far I have sold one camera and another may be going to a new home within a week or so. For me, this is some sort of breakthrough. What was also a very pleasant surprise was that the two buyers were willing to pay sensible prices for the cameras. This softens the blow of parting with them  :) A further two early type thermal cameras are also possibly going to a new home soon.

I will be selling more now that I have broken through the initial internal resistance to downsizing my collection of 70+ thermal cameras. I will keep my 'hardcore' cameras but those that I do not use serve little purpose stored in Pelicase etc. I may list the cameras in the buy & sell section of this forum over the coming months but if anyone desires a decent thermal camera or a project thermal camera for restoration or learning, I may be able to help. Just PM me your requirements, preferred spec, rough budget and I will see if I can marry you up with a suitable solution at a reasonable price. I do not bite.

I am located in the UK but will ship appropriate cameras outside the UK.

Fraser

« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 10:58:24 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Spirit532

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
Re: Fraser has been selling his cameras - yes it is true :)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 12:53:27 am »
I'd like an 8-800mm f/0.8-f/5 7-14um parfocal zoom macro lens with OIS for half the pure scrap value please.

It's good that you're helping others though :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 12:55:11 am by Spirit532 »

Online Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 11:00:38 am »
Just keep a good documentary of everything you once had.

I will be looking for the sale list as I might be interested in finding a 2nd camera for photography.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 12:53:45 pm »
Spirit532,

;D

I only wish I could find such a lens !

I was asked about any zoom lenses in my collection. I have none as they are very hard to find and often Mid-Wave as Ex Military cooled cameras  :(

On the Germanium intrinsic value point..... Germanium lenses often sell for less than the scrap value of the Germanium elements within them. I suppose selling small quantities of Ex lens Germanium is difficult. There is also the fact that it is 'contaminated' with an AR coating as well.

All the Best

Fraser

Offline jean-paul

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 01:10:29 pm »
Hello,

I feel guilty about that... You could create a museum or a rental business!

If you plan to sell a higher resolution/performance camera I might be interested in, maybe this fall

Online Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 01:32:01 pm »
If you can even buy scrap germanium in the sizes needed for a lens element. I mean, it is possible to manufacturer lens elements at home with rather simple tools.

Offline Spirit532

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 03:07:01 pm »
Lenses - yes.
Lens elements - no.
After grinding and polishing the AR coating will be gone - and even if you have a CVD or PVD chamber to reapply it(and have the coating pellets), you'd need an extremely accurate grinding station to get the right optical configuration.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 12:36:38 am »
Looks like another three of my cameras have found a new deserving home 🙂

They were projects that have been awaiting my attention for too long. Time they went to someone who has the time and incentive to sort them out  :-+

Looks like I am on a roll  ;D It is easier than I thought to part with the cameras. I just do not have the time to use them all and the project cameras deserve to be repaired  :) (none have serious faults)

I think more thermal cameras will be headed to new homes as well.

My long suffering wife is thrilled at this turn of events. I will be happy so long as they go to good homes and I still have my favourite cameras in my reduced collection  :)

Fraser
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 04:31:35 am by Fraser »

Offline oddbondboris

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 09:18:44 am »
you wouldnt happen to have a raytheon 300A with a bad sensor or chopper wheel?
i have a 300A out of a scott eagle that wont generate 5v properly or the negative analog rail anymore

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 11:55:27 am »
I have a 300A out of a Scott camera but IIRC, it fails to start ! Also, please be aware that the BST sensor array is married to the associated controller board as that contains the calibration and dead pixel correction maps. My 300A might be a simple fault but I have yet to look at it.

Fraser

Offline oddbondboris

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 02:26:07 pm »
I have a 300A out of a Scott camera but IIRC, it fails to start ! Also, please be aware that the BST sensor array is married to the associated controller board as that contains the calibration and dead pixel correction maps. My 300A might be a simple fault but I have yet to look at it.

Fraser
i'm actually pretty sure the bst array is only married to the top board as the bottom board contains nothing but power rail generation a video processing chip, the dac and a logic array that i think has fixed programming from the factory
the eeprom storage for the entire system is located on the top board

you might find yours has the same fault mine dose, namely a bad tantalum somewhere.

mine would pull the input down to 3.3v as if shorted until you gave it enough current (almost 3A) to burn through the bad tantaulum and then draw about 400ma at 12v. when trying to find the dead cap with the top board removed the synchronus rectifier mosfet in the dc-dc converter decided to go short circuit and blew up the negative voltage rails, i think it would actually work feeding 5v into the 5v rail and the proper negative voltage to the main negative rail but i cant for the life of me remember what i measured on that rail and cant figure out how it was generating it in the first place since the board is very hard to trace out being at least a 6 and possibly an 8 layer board with vias under lots of components

anyway sorry to go so off topic, i was just wondering if you had one

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 04:02:00 pm »
So many good things are coming at once. My bank account weeps.

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 04:07:04 pm »
oddbondboris

If you have photos of your 300A I may be able to cross reference to the 200/205 series OEM kits and tell you the negative voltage.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 04:53:35 pm »
Mr Scram,

Sorry to place temptation in your path. There will be some VERY nice thermal cameras coming up for sale from me but sadly they will not be exactly cheap as they owe me quite a lot of money. I just sold my best 'project' cameras to a fellow forum member who I know will make good use of them.

I do have more project cameras in the form of several Talisman WASPS (BST), several  EEV ARGUS 1's (pyrovidicon). I also have some complete and working EEV ARGUS 2's and 3's (BST).

One weird one I will definitely be selling is the SATIR MinIR80 that I purchased purely out of curiosity. I class it as a 'project camera' because I am not that impressed with its current 80 x 60 resolution and potential issue with theSD card socket. I have yet to investigate the SD card reading issue, it may be nothing. I neither need this camera, nor want it. Could be a very nice cheap camera for a beginner. It contains a ULIS 160 x 120 pixel microbolometer but it is set to X2 zoom so produces 80 x 60 pixels. The firmware would need to be hacked to release the 160 x 120 pixels capability. Do not ask me how, I do not know.

I am having a serious sort of my thermal camera collection. Many will go to new homes at sensible (but not silly low) prices. I even have some clever Agema and Raytek industrial non contact thermal sensors with temperature logging capability. Great for monitoring a target over time and plotting Delta T.

There is also a Raytek/Fluke Ti30 on offer to a new home. Complete with charge and communications dock. Raytek made this for FLUKE but also sold it under their own brand and colour scheme. Interesting 'ray gun' shape camera. Seem to sell well on eBay. A friend sold one for £950 a few months back. I am not looking for anything like that for mine though.

I will also be selling one of my very nice Agilent (NEC AVIO) cameras but that will not be cheap as it owes me a significant sum.

I hope to tempt members of this forum and set them up with cameras that they will enjoy using for many years.

Fraser

« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 05:01:14 pm by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 04:42:29 pm »
I am seriously considering selling my DRS Ultra 6000 pan tilt I.P. camera !

It contains the DRS Tamarisk 640 x 480 high frame rate core and is totally controlled over Ethernet. Only a web browser needed :) Masses of functionality.It also has conventional RS485 and composite video on board in case needed in a non I.P scenario.  I just have to convince myself that I do not truly need it ! If I do sell it, the price will not be cheap as the camera is very expensive and mine is as new with the protection label still on the lens protector. It owes me around £1500 so that will likely set its price for me.

I wrote about the Ultra 6000 here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/the-superb-drs-watchmaster-ip-ultra-6000-pan-tilt-camera-by-fraser/msg1117632/#msg1117632

Interesting times, there could be a minor flood of thermal imaging cameras onto the market if I keep this up  ;D

Fraser
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 04:47:20 pm by Fraser »

Online Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 05:16:44 pm »
That seems really cheap; do you happen to know how good the focus is close up? And what lens option do you have?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2018, 05:37:16 pm »
Lens is fixed focus 44 Degrees horizontal FOV. Spec sheet should show minimum distance. It is a standard professional grade DRS Tamarisk core and lens. Yes I agree, I got a bargain on its purchase. It came from a friend in the industry. It may be too hard for me to let this one go as I have yet to properly play with all its features and I doubt I will ever find another that is affordable.

I have another professional pan tilt camera that is like the two Bosch MIC412's that I have already sold. It is a Ganz C-Allview unit of all metal constriction and is a real beauty. 'Only' 320 x 240 pixels though but in beautiful condition and very 'space age' and scary looking  ;D That may end up being sold as well as there is no way my wife would let me mount it on the house !

Fraser
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 05:40:10 pm by Fraser »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2018, 05:46:01 pm »
Lens is fixed focus 44 Degrees horizontal FOV. Spec sheet should show minimum distance. It is a standard professional grade DRS Tamarisk core and lens. Yes I agree, I got a bargain on its purchase. It came from a friend in the industry. It may be too hard for me to let this one go as I have yet to properly play with all its features and I doubt I will ever find another that is affordable.

I have another professional pan tilt camera that is like the two Bosch MIC412's that I have already sold. It is a Ganz C-Allview unit of all metal constriction and is a real beauty. 'Only' 320 x 240 pixels though but in beautiful condition and very 'space age' and scary looking  ;D That may end up being sold as well as there is no way my wife would let me mount it on the house !

Fraser
Just mount it in the dark. She won't see it coming!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2018, 07:18:39 pm »
One of my Agilent/Keysight U5855A's has now found a new home  :-+

I think Christmas has come early for some  ;D

Fraser

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2018, 09:21:34 pm »
Still looking for a E40 at decent price... I´m hunting it since a year now but no luck to find it without burning a stupid amount of money.

So in case there is a Flir Exx in your IR museum which is telling you:"Please, I need to find a new home. I want to be used in the field..." contact me.  ;) :D

Jokes aside, I really appreciate how you are dealing with us in this forum. You are a true gentleman.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2018, 09:51:53 pm »
Zucca,

Well I do have my lovely E40 that is upgraded to E60+ spec. It was unused when I bought it last year. Left over from a cancelled research project. She 's a beauty  ;D

The problem is, I really like it ! As such I would have to be offered a serious amount of money to tempt me to sell it.

If you are serious about wanting to own such a great camera, feel free to make me your best offer and I will see if I can come to the party. Catch me while I am in the mood to sell this stuff ! I could come to my senses at any moment  ;D

Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2018, 12:45:41 am »
And the next cameras to appear on my radar to sell are a pair of very nice Irisys (now Fluke) models.

One is a 160 x 120 pixels unit that I received new in the box, totally unused. I have only tested it for correct operation. The other camera is a used, but great condition 320 x 240 pixels unit that was the Irisys top of the range model. That unit has been rebadged under the 'Ideal' brand name. Both cameras sport high quality Large Germanium manual focus lenses. Great for PCB work.

Model numbers are:

Irisys IRI 4035 - high temperature model

Ideal HeatSeeker 61-848 - I believe this to be the Irisys IR32DS

No idea what to ask for them. They sell well on eBay and people ask crazy high prices for the 47 x 47 pixel Ideal (Irisys) 61-844 cameras. I am open to offers if anyone is interested in one of these cameras.

Fraser
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 12:50:51 am by Fraser »

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2018, 01:08:24 am »
Hi Fraser, do you know what the framerate is for the Ideal 61-848?

Offline jean-paul

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 08:24:08 am »
Hi Fraser,

Too bad I bought one last week, it's too early to upgrade or it would be crazyness :p

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2018, 11:18:25 am »
Jean-Paul,

There will be others as I have a lot to work through in my collection. Many will be a lot more expensive than your M3 though.

Fraser

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf