Author Topic: Fraser has bought his new favourite daily use camera - The FLIR Exx. Love it  (Read 12943 times)

Offline FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Brumby,

I quite agree.

I can only think it was deliberate to ensure you buy the official FLIR adapter bracket that has a fat profit margin.
Considering the retail price of the Exx series, I think it poor that the camera does not come with a quality adapter plate in the kit or at least a standard 1/4" photographic standard mount point. FLIR can be a PITA with their marketing approach. The prices of the accessories is daylight robbery.

M6 would have been sensible, as would a second hole to prevent rotation and negating the need for 'side wings' on the bracket. Photographic cameras have had such an arrangement for many years.

The Exx series camera is a lovely unit but it does contain some design faux pas. I can forgive them though  :D

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Perhaps they think that if you can front up the cash for the device, they can push an overpriced, underperforming accessory down your throat.

That is a bad move in itself, but to go directly against an industry wide standard that has survived for decades is just stoooopid.

IMHO.

• Super Contributor
And let us not forget that the smaller Ex series has no official means to attach it to  tripod. Another 'unusual' decision on the part of FLIR.

Fraser

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
It's not as if it is a difficult thing to do...

You have to wonder, sometimes.

• Super Contributor
I am back from my holiday and came home to find some packages from China awaiting my attention.

One contained the Lens ring mount that I am going to modify and another contained a nice little adjustable 'stage' that I need for another project.

It saddens me to see what I get for my money from China compared to what FLIR was offering at £40 (~$50)

The Lens ring mount cost around £8 and the lovely adjustable platform was around £14. Both are made of aluminium. In the case of the platform, it is machined aluminium and has a large stainless steel tripod mount insert. They could have just tapped the aluminium base plate, but no, they installed a proper mount made of suitably strong material. Lovely to see. The build quality and finish of the platform is superb. The lens ring comprises two major parts, cast in aluminium, with hinge pin and screw to secure the ring closed. The ring is simple and the finish not as fine as the platform, but it is sure good value for £8 ! As I am going to cut the ring in half I am not too fussed about the finish as it will be refined as required.

I will be taking a hacksaw saw to the lens ring this week to adapt it to my needs. Pictures will follow when I am at a point where there is something to see.

Take a close look at the platform pictures and see how nicely it is constructed...... this is what I expect of an adapter bracket for a multi thousand Dollar thermal camera from FLIR, not some piece of cheap and flimsy plastic !

The Lens ring with 80mm internal diameter may be found here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401184890147?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Now on discount down to £8.08 !

The Platform was bought here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162507699532?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Now on discount at £12.47 !

Fraser
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 06:02:59 pm by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
More pics of the platform quality (not being used with the Exx)

Fraser

Offline layws

• Contributor
It's look very good. No problem

• Super Contributor
I am pleased that you are content with the plastic bracket. I consider its flexing  unacceptable as I work with quality tripods and bracketry. Flexing in a bracket of the magnitude found with the expensive FLIR bracket was unacceptable to me. Others may find it perfectly accepable.

Do inspect the bracket regularly for evidence of plastic fatigue though. The point where the bracket transitions between the camera screw plateau and the shaped 'nose' for the tripod plateau is the likely point of failure if used regularly and the camera handled on the tripod. No such problem would exist if they had used decent metal for the bracket.

Fraser
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 11:30:29 pm by Fraser »

Offline Paw85

• Regular Contributor
I will be creating a 3D printable adapter for the Exx/Exxbx series that hopefully can bring down the cost and be more stable than the original accessory.
It will require a M5 insex screw (length currently unknown) and a 1/4-3/8 female adapter but those seem to be possible to find for cheap on eBay and the like (~$3).
Edit: (May be possible to use a 1/4-20 UNC nut instead of the adapter to get it done even cheaper)

The reason of this post is to ask if there is any feature that you believe may be important to have on the accessory.
Fraser posted that the original one was not stiff enough so hoping the one created will be better, but is there any other wishes or features that can make it even better than the original adapter?

« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 07:04:03 pm by Paw85 »

Offline Paw85

• Regular Contributor
Have finished a first prototype of a tripod mount for the Exx series now. Supposed to be compatible with Manfrotto 200PL plate (and similar sizes from other manufacturer).
It has support both at the threaded hole, as well as the handle, so wiggles and weak points should be minimized.

It was designed for a 1/4-20 UNC nut, but found out that it will not work due to the very short threaded part of the Manfrotto plate, so have to use a threaded insert, but those are pretty cheap too, will just take a few days to get it shipped here from the UK, will possibly have a fully functional prototype at end of next week.

So far it seem very stable, but thinking of extending it a bit more forward below the lens to make sure that the tripod plate got full support of all of the area to make it as stable as possible.
Might make the top part larger and lower/closer to handle at point of attachment to the tripod to minimize the torque from the imager hanging far from the attachment point.

Anything that can be suggested for improvement of features you'd like on it?

The following users thanked this post: Fraser, railrun

• Super Contributor
An excellent looking design that has some very good stability enhancing features. Nice, very nice   :-+

Fraser

Offline railrun

• Regular Contributor
That's amazing!

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
That looks great! You should get your design up on Shapeways so you can make some £££ from it - I'd buy!

Offline Paw85

• Regular Contributor
That looks great! You should get your design up on Shapeways so you can make some £££ from it - I'd buy!

I thought that Shapeways was always very expencive, but will check. Also there's the trouble that there's some assembly required with non-printed parts.

I'm going to test out another revision tomorrow with a few changes to the current one.
* Will try using a thumbwheel to fasten the M5 screw to the camera. (And still possible to use a tool to fasten it more firmly)
* Changed a 1/4 UNC nut to have a 3/8 -> 1/4 insert, that way the common Manfrotto tripod plate will fit.
* Added a second mounting position in front of the trigger, gets the center of gravity to a better position, but limits upward tilt on a ballhead.
* Reduced the width from 47 to 36 mm.

Anything else that you think may be a good improvement?
I may have the possibility to print a few of these if there's an interest,
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 09:50:05 pm by Paw85 »

• Super Contributor
A very nice piece of design work that I would definitely be interested in trying out. I have my own 3D printer and would choose ABS over PLA for strength and longevity. Printing it in one of the stronger filaments would also be an option.

Looking forward to printing this if the file is made available.

Fraser
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:42:44 am by Fraser »

Offline Paw85

• Regular Contributor
Looking forward to printing this if the file is is made available.

Yes the files will be shared for free like all other items I create.
It will be available once the design is working well and I dont see any issues with it anymore :)

If someone dont have access to a 3D printer to print cheaply I may be able to help print, but best is of course if having access locally as shipping cost from Sweden is very high.

For stability PLA is better due to less flex, but I dont think printing it in ABS will make it suffer much, and if it does I can help create an ABS version that uses a bit more material to compensate to bring stiffness up if there's any issues.

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
Looking forward to printing this if the file is is made available.

Yes the files will be shared for free like all other items I create.
It will be available once the design is working well and I dont see any issues with it anymore :)

If someone dont have access to a 3D printer to print cheaply I may be able to help print, but best is of course if having access locally as shipping cost from Sweden is very high.

For stability PLA is better due to less flex, but I dont think printing it in ABS will make it suffer much, and if it does I can help create an ABS version that uses a bit more material to compensate to bring stiffness up if there's any issues.

You can upload to shapeways and take no commission if you want - that way the buyer will only pay the shapeway's cost price to have it printed and of course, shipping on top. Shapeways have superb quality printers and a wide range of materials.

Offline Paw85

• Regular Contributor
First working prototype now finished. Seem quite stable, but since it's plastic it will move a little when pushed.

I recorded two videos with 4x zoom to show how quickly it return to position when giving the handle (max leverage) bumps first from the side and then downwards.
As expected the front position (where Flir also has their) is least stable, but still quite OK.
Center mount returns more quickly to default position, but movement of the camera is limited due to the angle of the ballhead using that position.

Video of front position mount bumping handle (4x zoom):

Video of cront position mount bumping handle (4x zoom):

Not sure about shapeways, there's still things that needs assembling like the 3/8->1/4 adapters and M5 screw to thumbwheel, and band for the handle.
I'll figure something out, but perhaps better with 3D hubs, as then folks close to the person needing the part can produce the parts and make a bit of earning, instead of a huge company.
Should be cheaper as well for the user.

Picture showing the Exx from side, with thumbwheel for M5 screw visible in red, and ballhead using center mounting point.

The following users thanked this post: railrun

Offline Paw85

• Regular Contributor
I've now finalized stl files for the first release of the tripod adapter for Exx(bx) series camera that you can download and print here.
Some vitamins are needed: M5x14 hex socket screw and a velcro-strap, and 3/8->1/4 UNC adapter.

The files can be found here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2822096

Hope someone have a use for it as well :)

The following users thanked this post: Fraser, Pinkus, Zucca, railrun, _Wim_, cvanc

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf