Author Topic: Freeware Software for Thermal Analysis: Thermovision_JoeC  (Read 506716 times)

Offline joe-cTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Joe-c.de
Re: Freeware Software for Thermal Analysis: Thermovision_JoeC
« Reply #150 on: April 30, 2017, 08:53:46 am »
X Ray device? Where did you buy such a thing?
i found it on ebay, it was used and bought from a Frenchmen.

i have a hidden project page for this:
https://translate.google.de/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fjoe-c.de%2Fpages%2Fposts%2Fprojekt_x-ray_7.php

A nice device, but now just standing around.
Freeware Thermal Analysis Software: ThermoVision_Joe-C
Some Thermal cameras: Kameras

Offline santasemilla

• Contributor
« Reply #151 on: May 04, 2017, 07:39:59 pm »
Hi Joe,

I have some questions regarding calibration. I’ve been reading the whole thread this weekend and playing around with my Seek-Thermal (XR).
I’ve been trying to calibrate my Seek with 2Points Calibration option and found out that if I expand the temperature range you cannot trust measures along the span. I tried with a frozen package from the fridge and a hot pan as cold and hot sources. I also have an optic pyrometer which I used as contrast and reference. The result were OK readings at high and low temps (~-14°C and ~150°C) but very inaccurate in a mid-range. I tried my own forehead temperature with the Seek and got 15°C in one calibration and 45°C on another test. (…should have been ~32/34). I tried other close-to-ambient-temperatures and they were equally wrong. When I tried closer deltas for high and low calibrations sources, the skin temperature was closer to reality.

I also played as you say “the dirty way” modifying the slope and offset, but again, if ranges are very apart, that would induce errors along the range. Is this normal? Does anybody has some additional tips to share? Could it be possible to do some “multi-points” calibration? In order to get a curve instead?

Additionally, should I calibrate every time I’ll be using the camera? Should I use save/load in a file? Do you know if this file is still valid if I use the camera with the phone App?

Regarding GO-maps, I was able to get quite a good image quality. Nevertheless, after 4 or 5 seconds after obtaining the map, the high temperature goes up in the scale (not the reading) and the scale shows only low temperatures (mostly blue image with the default colorbar). I tried to disable/enable autoscale a couple of times without results. What could I be doing wrong?
I would really appreciate your help to understand and correct the calibration issues!

Thanks so much!

Thank you.
I'm testing it with a Seek Thermal Pro and I have a specific question. Is there a way to adjust emisivity in your software?
Are you sure it is the "Pro"? I implant the Seek Thermal Compact / XR and i guess the Pro is similar, maybe just another resolution setting and that's it. But i never had a "Pro" and cant make any tests.

And to the other Question...
Select Tab: "Ext 2", "use Planck Calibration" have to be checked and there you can set Parameters like emisivity.
But i don't make a calibration for seek yet. Maybe the set will be different for each device.
You have to wait until the Device is warmup (device raw temperature don't change).
and then you need to acquire the raw value and the real value. if you have some points on a wide temperature range, you have to modify the Planck values until you get the right values (meaning, the real temperature and the calculated from raw was close together). if that is done, you should be able to use parameters like emissivity like normal.

good luck :-/O :-DMM

• Frequent Contributor
    • Joe-c.de
« Reply #152 on: May 05, 2017, 06:16:48 pm »
hi santasemilla

Very interesting. I had not much tried with the 2 Point Calibration. Meanwhile I know a difference between radiation and temperature.
The radiation and the Temperature are not linear.

The “Planck” Calibration was acquired from a FLIR Camera and should handle the correct transmission between raw and temperature.
And you have a second problem with the Seek... the detector is really temperature sensitive.

Fist you need to stabilize the Seek Thermal Temperature. A big solid metal block should be good for that.
If this is done, you can open the Planck Calibration Window and enter some RAW Values with the Real Temperature.
If you have some Values with different Levels, you should be able to find with “trial and error” the right values for your camera.
Then you should also be able to use the emissivity setting like normal.

To the Mapcal. I have some infos about it on my website:
https://translate.google.de/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fjoe-c.de%2Fpages%2Fposts%2Fprojekt_x-ray_7.php
And here some infos about the Seek Thermal:

Its important to know... the Seek has 2 Modes:
Normal Mode... Shutter rises frequently...each 3-8 Second. On each Shutter processing, the Gain and offset values was set for the Pixels.
Raw Mode... no Shutter, no Gain or Offset changes.

If you perform a mapcal in normal mode, it is possible that the change of the detector temperature will result in a gain or offset change for some pixels. This pixels shift after the Shutter process, but the map has still the old value. Because that after a shutter some single pixels start “glitching”.

I suggest the following way:
1 plug the seek on a metal block to fix the temperature
2 let the seek run in normal mode until the “Raw Temperature” value from the seek was stable... for 20 seconds
3 switch to “Raw” Mode
4 Perform Mapcal
… then  the camera should be in usable condition.

Sadly this have to be repeated if the Seek was removed  from USB.
I see some different voltages inside...like 2.8Vfor the detector.
Its possible to supply that part and unplug from USB without loosing the Gainsetting from the Detector. Then you can reconnect in raw mode with a existing Gainmap.
There is something I want to explore... but no time... standard problem 8)

.. I tried to disable/enable autoscale a couple of times without results. What could I be doing wrong?
I will check this in the next days to be sure it is no bug.
If you disable the Autoscale, the Scale have to be at the last setting.
If some pixels shift they appear in the image, but the whole image should be shown like before.

I hope it helps.
Joe-c

Edit: i had no problems with the disabled Auto scale. I get new frames but the temperature scale don't changes.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 10:05:11 pm by joe-c »

The following users thanked this post: santasemilla

• Frequent Contributor
    • Joe-c.de
« Reply #153 on: May 14, 2017, 05:45:02 pm »
Version 1.5.0.0

Changes:
- 90° Rotation in MainIR
(if enabled, each rotation in MainIR will also affect the visual image)
- fixed acquisition error for half size Flir images
(reading a Flir One image in real resolution will no more have a line error at the side)
- 2 more types of visual image from Flir Images are supported
(PNG from Exx Series and DAT from Flir One with "Thermal Camera+" App)
- Argus 3 *.raw images are supported now
- Imagebrowser has 3 new sources
--> Flir Exx from SD-Card
--> Flir Exx from folder
--> Argus from folder

And finally... the Program has a new icon, because the previous Icon result a false Virus positive on some scanners.
More Information's here:
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fjoe-c.de%2Fpages%2Fposts%2Fvirusmeldungen_202.php&sandbox=0

Offline santasemilla

• Contributor
« Reply #154 on: May 19, 2017, 11:29:29 pm »
Hi Joe,

Thanks for this new upgrade! I'm still struggling with a good calibration of my Seek. I (as usual) have some questions about your software:

Do you have any source to better understand the variables under the Planck Calibration window? For example, what are the Planck_R1/R2/O/B/F variablesand how the "Warmup Drift Correction" works? That would be helpful to better understand the process. By the way, the links you put in your previous answer to my questions I guess they are not right as they point to your x-ray device  ;).

Another question/suggestion:

Would it be possible to shift the temp map after the sample is taken? I mean, in my best calibration I got a constant shift of 3deg C from the real values, so it would be great if I could offset the measures after I save the picture. (...could sound tricky but is like a "dirt calibration" but afterwards)
  Nevermind about this! I found the offset at the Image Processing tab, sorry  :palm:

And  the last one: Would it be possible to plot the scale next to the thermal picture in the report? Maybe there could be some extra variables available, apart from the ones you included, to report and incorporate to a custom template. That would also come in handy!

As usual, thanks so much for this great soft!!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 02:28:51 am by santasemilla »

• Frequent Contributor
    • Joe-c.de
« Reply #155 on: May 20, 2017, 10:53:19 pm »
As usual, thanks so much for this great soft!!
You're Welcome
Do you have any source to better understand the variables under the Planck Calibration window? For example, what are the Planck_R1/R2/O/B/F variablesand how the "Warmup Drift Correction" works? That would be helpful to better understand the process.
I just can tell you, that Planck R2 is "global Gain" and Planck O is "global Offset", that I read somewhere from FLIR Camera.
I guess these two values will be used to let each Camera have a specific response in relation to the radiation during the factory calibration. Sadly I don't know more yet.

The Warmup Drift Correction is a simple thing:
Build the Table: point the Seek to a Temperature Stabilized Target and enable Stream and Panck Cal Window->Warmup Drift Correction->(change name and) "start new".
Now each time the "Seek Raw Device Temperature" was changed, the Value and the Raw Mean was recorded (only one value per "Device Temperature"). These two values was stored after "save".
Use the Table: the first value inside the xxx.wdc file was the reference value (value after warm up). each time a new frame arrived from the device, the device temperature was used to acquire a difference to the reference. this difference was removed from the frame value. as a result the  Raw of the Device was shifted to the real raw of the object.
Sadly that don't seems to match on other Seeks, see image.
By the way, the links you put in your previous answer to my questions I guess they are not right as they point to your x-ray device  ;).
Oops :palm:
here the right ones:
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fjoe-c.de%2Fpages%2Fposts%2Fmapcal_198.php
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fjoe-c.de%2Fpages%2Fposts%2Fwaermebildkamera_seek_thermal_178.php
Additional here is a temperature Stabilized Seek with Mapcal and 30FPS Raw Mode (non public feature).

Would it be possible to plot the scale next to the thermal picture in the report? Maybe there could be some extra variables available, apart from the ones you included, to report and incorporate to a custom template. That would also come in handy!
oh  yes... why I missed the scale?!... ::)
this will follow.
Thanks
joe-c

Offline methael

• Physics student at york university
« Reply #156 on: May 29, 2017, 08:07:01 pm »
Does this support seek thermal compact pro?

• Frequent Contributor
    • Joe-c.de

Offline teund

« Reply #158 on: June 03, 2017, 08:35:49 am »
Looks like great software, so I tried to run it for my recently bought Seek Compact (not PRO) thermal camera on Windows 10. Windows 10 does see my SEEK camera when I plug it into a USB port. But the Thremovision software says: "SeekThermal_Connect -> Seek Thermal Camera not Found!". My device is a dual-boot tablet. When I run Android on it, it does see the SEEK camera and I can use it with the original SEEK software to display images. Am I doing something wrong? Do I have to install drivers to run Thermovision on Windows 10?

• Frequent Contributor
    • Joe-c.de
« Reply #159 on: June 03, 2017, 10:08:21 pm »
Do I have to install drivers to run Thermovision on Windows 10?
have you installed the winusb driver for your seek?

Offline teund

« Reply #160 on: June 04, 2017, 07:35:57 am »
Installing the drivers made everything work. Great software, thanks.

Offline bozidarms

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #161 on: June 19, 2017, 07:49:30 pm »
Hi Joe,
i want to ask if is it possible to valuate images from CEM DT9885 camera with your software?
Forum member Ben321 have done some interesting work with images from that camera,
hope that it would help you further:
Just did some digging into the JPEGs from this camera, using a hex editor, and Gimp (using its raw image loader feature, which lets you specify offset, width, height, and raw pixel format), and have figured out a way to get to the raw data in the DT-9885 thermal imager.

Scan the file for the unicode string FPZdnx (yes, it is case sensitive). Because it is unicode, it's 2 bytes per letter. So this is a 12 byte string you are looking for, with the following hexidecimal values:
46 00 50 00 5A 00 64 00 6E 00 78 00

After finding this byte string, the raw 16-bits-per-pixel image data starts exactly 96 bytes past the last byte of that string. So after your byte string scan finds this byte string, jump to the end of the byte string (12 byte jump), and then skip 96 bytes (the raw image header is 96 bytes long) to get to the start of the actual raw image pixel data. Alternatively do a 108 byte jump from the start of the 12 byte string (this will eliminate one step in writing a program that is designed to load the raw data). Unlike FLIR's FFF format, which (when embedded in a JPEG) is split up into JPEG sized chunks (each with a header that states the size of that chunk), the format used by the CEM DT-9885 doesn't use JPEG format in any way for the raw data. It's simply appended to the JPEG section of the image file. To find where it starts, use the technique I mentioned above. Not sure where the width and height are stored though, as I've not reverse engineered the header yet. I will be sure to provide more info as I dig deeper into the header of the raw data section. I assume the same basic format is used for other thermal imagers made by CEM (including their 160x120, and 640x480 thermal imagers). The DT-9885 is a 384x288 thermal imager. The JPEGs it saves have 640x480 for the JPEG compressed image, because they use upscaling, but the raw image stored at the end of the JPEG file is not upscaled at all (unlike the cropped then upscaled raw thermal image saved by the FLIR One).

It was great that you attached pics from your DT-9885 in your posts here. If you, or anybody else here has any other CEM thermal imagers in various resolutions, please post pics from them here too. It would help me to reverse engineer their format.

Thanks and regards
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 09:32:43 am by bozidarms »

• Frequent Contributor
    • Joe-c.de
« Reply #162 on: June 20, 2017, 09:07:49 pm »
Hello,
yes the info's are quite useful to acquire the raw frame.
the next important step is to know how translate the raw to temperature.

its possible to use the embedded "IR-Image Decoder". but for each frame you have to find the right start offset from file.
a ugly workaround, i know.
after get the frame you can set the min and max manually (next to "Settings>>>") to remap the temperature values over the frame.
i will implant the "CEM" Camera in the next Version but for now this will only more easier acquire the raw frame.

i don't have the time to decode the images by myself, but maybe "Ben321" or somebody other can help here.
as sample i use your image from here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/thermal-cam-imagercem-dt9885-experience/msg1236383/#msg1236383

The following users thanked this post: bozidarms

Offline bozidarms

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #163 on: June 21, 2017, 11:08:45 am »
Hi Joe,

thanks for your effort,
unfortunately i cant help further, have almost 0 knowledge of software and programming stuff  :palm:
I would try to resend your post and ask for help, to "Ben321" - hi is only hope now!

Regards

• Frequent Contributor
    • Joe-c.de
« Reply #164 on: July 18, 2017, 09:06:42 pm »
Release Version 1.6.0.0
Download: https://goo.gl/qmQJoJ

- Camera Mode ends with the Icon top left for 3 ways:
 - Right mouse click
 - Middle mouse click
 - Left mouse click for 3 Seconds
- Some bug fixes
- Some resources (*.png) like the min and max spot was no more an embedded resource. Since now they can be changed if somebody like other icons, see: "TVisionData\Res".
- 2 calibration files for Seek Thermal and Thermal Expert was updated. I guess they need some adjustments for each Camera but they should have a better start point now.

- implant "CEM DT-9885" *.jpg Files
 (Using Planck Calibration, I tried to find good values with some images, maybe each owner has to do some trial and error until it match right)

- Imagebrowser now have a real Browse function. It's possible to declare Favorites (names and paths was stored on closing the Program)

- Report now has an optional Temperature Scale for processed IR and processed Visual
 (There also exist additional "CS" (Color Scale) containing Tags for template)

- New Device Type: Serial Sensor
Each Serial Sensor has his own Serial Port binding. It send a command and try to parse the answer to a floating point value. Its now possible to use this to track additional information, like a hardware Temperature Sensor, Voltage, Current… whatever.
This Value appear like a normal internal Measurement… it could be tracked in Plot or use as input for a "Temp Switch".
The "Temp Switch" can also output on another Serial Port with the Action "SerialPort->Send xxx".
So there are 2 Inputs (Serial Sensor) and 1 Output (TempSwitch) for external Serial Communication Hardware.

If something don’t work like expected, let me know.
Best wishes
Joe-c

The following users thanked this post: frenky, bozidarms, santasemilla

• Frequent Contributor
    • Joe-c.de
« Reply #165 on: August 02, 2017, 10:02:52 pm »
If somebody want to experiment with his Flir one... there is a "hidden alpha feature", maybe not that stable and only basic functions, but better than nothing.

1. start the Program with the Parameter: -Fone_test
2. start the Server with "Device: Flir One->SET"
- after that the red label should go to a yellow "PORT OPEN"
- the IP should be appear below (if your PC has multiple Network cards its possible that the false IP was acquired, then you have to get your PC IP from the Network settings)

3. install the FOne Ultimate app from here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/fone-ultimate/msg1249462/#msg1249462
4. Enter your IP and start the Steam

i have here a short video for that:
https://youtu.be/CT5XTB9Egn4

• Frequent Contributor
    • Joe-c.de
« Reply #166 on: September 11, 2017, 09:24:38 pm »
Release Version 1.7.0.0
Download: https://goo.gl/VSPc6a

Changes:
-Interpolation and color scale are now set in the bar at the bottom.
(previously at function-> display, at the bottom right the current IR resolution is always visible)
-Median implementation
-new color palette "RedGrayBlue"
-Option: "IR page lock" at Visual
(adjusts the height or width when the image size of the IR overlay has been changed with the mouse so that the aspect ratios remain the same)
-About window now has a list view, instead of single-clicks from before.
-The delta line and the measuring line can now also run backwards
-Mbox now has 8 ways change the Size
(before it was 2. When the mouse pointer comes against one of the Mbox walls, the boundaries will change yellow, which will change with a mouse click and move, Default are 10 pixels, this could be changed in Settings->App page)
-IR Zoombox is now no longer at Visual but now in functions tab

New window: PictureProcessing
The window is currently only called with "Visual" and replaces the functions "Visual Rotate" and "Grayscale".
There are also functions for changing the size, adjusting brightness and contrast as well as the color balance and crop.
This makes it easier to edit visual image than extract them, edit them externally, and import them again.

Graph Histogram
This new type is a relative histogram which, depending on the scale, indicates the frequency of certain temperatures, as was already possible in the case of the previous one. But this time it is a bar graph to which the current color scale is applied. In addition, there is a cursor line, which displays 3 values: the counted temperature, its frequency and the cursor index. As with the old histogram, it is only calculated and displayed when the window is activated.
In the case of auto scaling, the highest occurrence determines the height scale. If manually, you can use the number on the right to set the height scale itself, which is simply not shown.

From now on, existing reports are not just overwritten.
Now a you will be asked by new content to add or replace.
There are 2 new templates for adding single pages. In addition, reports can now be started from the imagebrowser with all the selected images.

Serial Sensor
From now, a setup can be saved and loaded. There are 2 setups that are automatically loaded (e.g., "TVisionData\SerSens_Setups\Autoload_SerialSensor1.txt").
In addition, the protocol for the OWON B35 multimeter (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/need-advise-for-owon-multimeter/) is now supported. It is thus also possible to record voltages, currents, resistances or other parameters in addition to the regular thermal image temperatures.
Since a "Serial Sensor" can also be used as an input for the "TempSwitch", it is also possible to trigger by voltage or current limits.  :-DMM
The name of the active sensor corresponds to the selected measurement type.

best wishes
joe-c

Offline scelestus13

« Reply #167 on: September 20, 2017, 01:30:41 am »
I just wanted to say this software is very useful to me, but I had a question--

I have a camera with pixels destroyed by shining a IR laser at the camera, so I tried using the death pixel map to confirm this. I've attached the photo and the death map for this output just looking at a isothermal surface. Any thoughts on why the discrepancy exists?

• Frequent Contributor
    • Joe-c.de
« Reply #168 on: September 20, 2017, 09:31:25 pm »
It looks very interesting.
your Damage will result Raw Values in "valid Range" and in this case they will don't be detected as defect.

The DeathPixelMap was only generated with the Calibration frames at startup. Maybe its a good idea to enhance the Map with "detected" pixels from the map cal.
try to use the Mapcal:
https://translate.google.de/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fjoe-c.de%2Fpages%2Fposts%2Fmapcal_198.php

this may help to improve the image quality, but now it don't add defect pixel to the map (only Pixels from the map will be replaced automatically with surrounding pixels).

Best wishes
Joe-c

Offline scelestus13

« Reply #169 on: September 21, 2017, 06:02:18 am »
It looks very interesting.
your Damage will result Raw Values in "valid Range" and in this case they will don't be detected as defect.

The DeathPixelMap was only generated with the Calibration frames at startup. Maybe its a good idea to enhance the Map with "detected" pixels from the map cal.
try to use the Mapcal:
https://translate.google.de/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fjoe-c.de%2Fpages%2Fposts%2Fmapcal_198.php

this may help to improve the image quality, but now it don't add defect pixel to the map (only Pixels from the map will be replaced automatically with surrounding pixels).

Best wishes
Joe-c

Oh, cool. Thanks again, this software is extremely useful for the research I'm currently doing.

Offline LesioQ

• Regular Contributor
  • Every king should be naked.
« Reply #170 on: October 02, 2017, 08:50:55 am »
Hi,
Is there any way to invert camera image in both X and Y in Thermovision ?
This would be great for single IR lens modders :)

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #171 on: November 21, 2017, 08:18:22 am »
Please get this working with Seek Thermal Compact Pro. The pro version is what I have, and I primarily intended to use it not with my smartphone, but with my desktop PC (after it got reverse engineered). My smartphone was really just a test platform for me, to verify that the device worked. With its 320x240 resolution, at a frame rate of 15fps, and a price of only $500, it is by far the best cheap thermal imager available currently. I assumed that the reverse engineering community would have reverse engineered it within a couple months of the product being released by Seek Thermal, but I've been waiting now for a very long time, and absolutely no progress (and from the people I've talked to, absolutely no desire to bother reverse engineering the device). What's going on here?! Please SOMEBODY, reverse engineer this for me.

Offline santasemilla

• Contributor
« Reply #172 on: November 21, 2017, 07:28:44 pm »
Hi @Ben321,

Maybe you should check your manners. What Joe-c does is putting a lot of work, time and effort freely shared with this community. By the way, there is a PayPal button on his app to contribute at least with a beer. Maybe you can reverse-(engineer) your wallet and drop some stimulus and considerations... how about that?  ;) Additionally and if I remember correctly, Joe said he does not own a Seek Thermal PRO. That make things tougher (for you).

Cheers

The following users thanked this post: Chanc3

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #173 on: November 21, 2017, 08:47:59 pm »
Please get this working with Seek Thermal Compact Pro. The pro version is what I have, and I primarily intended to use it not with my smartphone, but with my desktop PC (after it got reverse engineered). My smartphone was really just a test platform for me, to verify that the device worked. With its 320x240 resolution, at a frame rate of 15fps, and a price of only $500, it is by far the best cheap thermal imager available currently. I assumed that the reverse engineering community would have reverse engineered it within a couple months of the product being released by Seek Thermal, but I've been waiting now for a very long time, and absolutely no progress (and from the people I've talked to, absolutely no desire to bother reverse engineering the device). What's going on here?! Please SOMEBODY, reverse engineer this for me.

Never mind. I found this thread after posting the above message. Seems that he's already got what I was looking for.

• Frequent Contributor
    • Joe-c.de
« Reply #174 on: December 09, 2017, 11:57:01 pm »
Hello,
Version 1.8.0.0 is out now: https://goo.gl/fswWCk

It has now direct support for Seek thermal Pro and 2 "Slots" for generic Thermal Dll interface, see here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/generic-thermal-camera-interface-dll/

Since now i use .NET 4.0 instead of .NET 3.5 but it shroud still work on Win XP.
Is there any way to invert camera image in both X and Y in Thermovision ?
This would be great for single IR lens modders :)
Sorry for late answer. Its still possible to Switch and rotate the image.

The following users thanked this post: BillB

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf