Author Topic: Has anyone read this book?  (Read 1346 times)

Offline rhbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Has anyone read this book?
« on: January 04, 2019, 09:24:35 pm »

Infrared Thermal Imaging: Fundamentals, Research and Applications
Vollmer and Mollmann 2nd Edition 2018

I'm looking for a graduate/professional level monograph on the topic.  At $175 this is not cheap, but I'm used to paying that for good reference texts.  Especially if they have a recent bibliography.

Other suggestions welcome.  If it does *not* have lots of mathematics, it's *not* what I'm looking for.  Ideally I'm looking for 2-3 high level, high quality references.  No matter how good the author, everyone leaves something out.  By the time I have 3 references almost everything is covered except work done post publication.

I'm particularly looking for noise processes, commonly used noise suppression techniques, etc based on the assumption the reader is familiar with such things.

Offline BigMark

• Contributor
Re: Has anyone read this book?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 09:49:15 pm »
Type in the text below to Google and you will probably find a PDF copy of the book. For me it was the first link, just a litlte slow downloading.

Infrared Thermal Imaging: Fundamentals, Research and Applications pdf

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 03:15:51 am »
Oh, I remember a list of references... It must have been on the artistic thermal imaging thread in the beginning. There was the project to bring it from the scientific to the artistic and commercial domain and they invested a lot into researching human perception on energy and somehow thermal images to make that visible. There was only a single technical reference in there so you have to see if that is worth a read.

Otherwise you can try to find some answers from FLIR and their engineering datasheets of their cameras. Some references are only available towards developers(free signup) while a lot can be found with a little Google-Fu if you know your catch words. For example the Lepton engineering manual for OEMs includes a few pages on AGC, gain modes and how they play with the histogram to put a lot into visible parts of they greyscale. For their higher end sensors you can find similar papers with further explanation and examples.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 06:03:48 pm »
I think you may need first to learn/understand the technology, as thermal noise may be specific to the technology used, i.e. uncooled microbolometers. For instance on the E4 the noise can be seen as "column" noise, mostly pronounced vertically in column like shapes, before calibration kicks in. This may dictate specific approaches to noise reduction.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 06:05:39 pm »
Type in the text below to Google and you will probably find a PDF copy of the book. For me it was the first link, just a litlte slow downloading.

Be sure to reward to author if the resource is useful or appreciated.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 06:43:10 pm »

It's first edition but completely valid to make judgement.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf