Author Topic: flir Pro gen 3 parallax - i really wanted an i3  (Read 3425 times)

Offline lots o totsTopic starter

• Contributor
flir Pro gen 3 parallax - i really wanted an i3
« on: March 21, 2018, 03:30:49 am »
I am stuck with the flir Pro gen 3 for the moment.  i couldnt get my hands on a gen 2 in canada and cant afford the i3. :palm:

I am having some issues with parallax, the images dont quite line up even with the flir app adjustment.  pay close attention to the top of the light fixture.  i dont know if this is "normal" for this type of camera. 
the light fixture is about 10 to 15 feet away.  the question is should this camera be sent back?

side note, i noticed that georg's app does not support v3 which is too bad.  is there any other apps that support the v3 pro that are good?

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
Re: flir Pro gen 3 parallax - i really wanted an i3
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 06:24:16 am »
Have you touched the calibration?

You should be able to adjust the parallax for this range. But this will result in other parts of the image not matching up, as you are maving a plane through another plane but at an angle.

It could also be that the corners show some barrel distortion.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 12:29:52 pm »
i used the in app calibration.  it works (it can be adjusted to be even more misaligned), but this setting is the closest the in app calibration will go to (100% value) as shown in the picture.
Yes I thought that too, that you can adjust it.  i will just sent it back for an exchange if this is not normal.  your input will be helpful on that note.
-lot

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 05:33:31 pm »
I don't mean the slide adjustment. In the application settings is an option to recalibrate, at least in the one I got for CAT S60. I check the new flir pro app and they seem to not have such a feature. Even the example images flir brought with the app have bad parallax misalignment, and the internal slider only offers adjustment in one direction while the misalignment is in the opposite direction.

I generally use ThermalCamera+ and it allows greater parallax adjustments.

Offline MyThermalWorld

• Contributor
    • Palette Generator
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 07:14:49 pm »
I am having some issues with parallax, the images dont quite line up even with the flir app adjustment.  pay close attention to the top of the light fixture.  i dont know if this is "normal" for this type of camera.

I have the same issue with my FLIR One 2. gen, so I added the MSX Aligner function to the Palette Generator to post align the MSX layer after image is shot. It alows the MSX layer to be moved in both directions.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/palette-generator-free-tool-to-create-thermal-palettes-for-flir-tools/msg1392659/#msg1392659

The following users thanked this post: Vipitis

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 10:53:25 pm »
I generally use ThermalCamera+ and it allows greater parallax adjustments.
unfortunatley thermal camera + does not support gen 3.  that is why i am looking for an alternative.

I have the same issue with my FLIR One 2.
the thing i dont get yet is if this is common to every flir one camera.  if so, i will live with it,  if not i will send it back.

Offline MyThermalWorld

• Contributor
    • Palette Generator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 07:19:52 am »

I have the same issue with my FLIR One 2.
the thing i dont get yet is if this is common to every flir one camera.  if so, i will live with it,  if not i will send it back.

Mine was align until I dropped it on the floor. It's probably the visual camera that's not perfectly aligned physically. If it's like that when bought new, I would send it back. Even though it's an low end camera, It's to expensive to have these faults.

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 02:35:05 pm »
unfortunatley thermal camera + does not support gen 3.  that is why i am looking for an alternative.

Are you sure?
The developer Georg Friedrich says me, since last update with the new Flir SDK it supports the F1 G3. There are "only" some troubles with the new SDK by saving thermal images on old Android devices with a very slow CPU.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 12:18:07 am »
Are you sure?
The developer Georg Friedrich says me, since last update with the new Flir SDK it supports the F1 G3. There are "only" some troubles with the new SDK by saving thermal images on old Android devices with a very slow CPU.

Hello.
I just made that assumption since the app store only states "Gen 1 and Gen 2" as supported devices and i was having issues withv3 (see attached photo of live screen light fixture).

i purchased the app.  you can see the large misalignment of msx and thermal image.  for some reason it is also ~20 degrees celcius too cool and very noisy.

I wonder if the camera is defective since it seems to have an alignment issue, but it does not explain the 20 degree error. 

any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  i was looking forward to using the thermal camera + app.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 12:24:28 am by lots o tots »

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 01:52:20 am »
Some users reported that the Lepton3 is more noisy then the lepton2. Check back with the Flir app for the temperatures. It might be wrong settings in ThermalCamera+.

Try to disable bilinear upscaling and disable superresolution on a high contrast scene(span of 20K).

If you switch to MSX Mode in the ThermalCamera+ app, you can adjust the offset by swiping up and down, but does a little jump closeup so be slow with it.

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 12:52:49 am »
@lots o tots
sorry, I meant the Android version. The play store version works fine with Gen 3.
Georg hasn't updated yet the IOS version, because there are some bugs with the new SDK for Gen 3.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 03:03:44 pm »
@lots o tots
sorry, I meant the Android version. The play store version works fine with Gen 3.
Georg hasn't updated yet the IOS version, because there are some bugs with the new SDK for Gen 3.

That sucks Is that an apple issue (am not familliar with SDK's)?  if not do we know if Gerog plans on working on this in the near future?
-LOT

Offline Bandit327

• KN4HCC
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 08:01:33 am »
your angle of view may be more then the adjustment in parallax offset will allow, I find that the case sometimes. remember the price of these things. I was pleased even with these bugs . gen3 pro
my mind Is a dangerous place in which dreams become projects.My projects are nightmares that seem to never end.....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf