Author Topic: Just got an E30bx. Have the usual questions.  (Read 9552 times)

Offline cvancTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Just got an E30bx. Have the usual questions.
« on: January 10, 2018, 06:41:01 pm »
Hi all-

Just took delivery of a very good condition E30bx.  I've attached a few photos so you can all see exactly which flavor of camera I have.

I intend to use this thread to sort out A) exactly what I have and B) exactly how to alter it.  Please, let's start with A.

From my perusal of the (nearly infinite!) discussions here, I do not know if I have a 'revised Mk1' or 'Mk2' model.  If I understand correctly the rubber doors suggest Mk2, but the manufacture date and keypad suggest Mk1.  I obviously have that wrong, it can't be both.  But which is it?

Thanks very much.

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Just got an E30bx. Have the usual questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 06:43:16 pm »
Rubber side cover photos are here.

Offline Spirit532

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 06:51:45 pm »
Your model is the one without MSX hardware support but with a service menu(accessible via IE at the RNDIS address).
Just follow the manual hack instructions and you should be set with an E60. The automatic hack will not work.

The following users thanked this post: cvanc

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 08:17:58 pm »
+1

I upgraded an identical E30bx a few months ago for a client.

It is the late MK1 model with separate navigation pad buttons and the rubber side covers. This was the final version before FLIR moved to the Mk2 model.

Some comments on your specific unit:

1. It will be a 2012 production date and should hopefully have the final MK1 firmware already loaded, but check this before the upgrade. Ensure you are on the final firmware version before the upgrade.

2. Your unit is the E30bx so it may, or may not contain the wireless connectivity module. Some do, some do not. The unit I upgraded did not have the module fitted. This means no Wi-Fi and no Bluetooth.

3. The 'bx' model' does not have temperature range 2 enabled, but it may be available and calibrated ! I understand that Range 2 may be enabled via the Service Menu for which the passwords have been published. I have not tried this though. Access to the service manual is via the USB port using RNDIS. The USB port is easily setup to RNDIS mode using the old "10 second press" of the right navigation button whilst in the camera information menu.

4. I chose to enable most of the available configuration options on my E40 and I do not regret it? There are many additional functions available in the configuration files :) You end up with an E60+

5. As part of the standard upgrade you will also release the full 3.1MP resolution of the visible light camera.

6. In case you are unaware, you gain digital video recording with the upgrade :)

7. Make sure you make multiple backups of your 'virgin' camera as things can go wrong during the upgrade process !

8. My client was stunned by the improvement I unlocked in the E30bx. He said it was like receiving a completely new camera of much greater capability and performance. That is actually pretty close to what he received from me. Before I forget, the upgrade also turns off the awful false noise generator. This is set pretty high on the E30 so the improvement is very noticeable.

Fraser

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 08:27:17 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 08:44:43 pm »
Thank you both.  Let's continue.  Here is all the config info I have found:

FLIR E30bx
s/n 4902nnnn
software version 1.36.23
model E30bx_B 1.1

...I did not find a callout of firmware version, where do I look for it?

Fraser, please see the photo of the serial number sticker in the first post.  It shows a 2012 manufacture date, FWIW.

OK, next step.  Let me take a stab at documenting the list of actions I need to take.  Once the list makes sense I'm hoping for insight to fill in the details.  I will come back and edit the list in this post as needed.  Here we go...

1- First I need to set up communications between the camera and a PC.  From what I've read this involves RNDIS (whatever that is?) and, I presume, something like FileZilla (which I use all the time).
2- Once I'm talking to the camera, I need to make a full backup from camera-->PC just in case I make a mistake
3- Check camera's contents for specific files and/or specific file revisions?
4- Edit config files?
5- Add new files from outside?
6- Reboot and away we go

How does that look?  Am I missing anything?  Do I have the sequence correct?

Thanks again!

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 09:05:39 pm »
Your camera needs the version 2.23 firmware update.

Please read the relevant E4 and E40 upgrade threads. The E4 teardown thread post #1 provides direct links to what you need in that huge thread. Everything you require is there. The required firmware update is available direct from the FLIR download page and tools for calculating the configuration file CRC1 are provided in the E4 teardown thread. Mike has done a decent job of indexing the various bits via his first post in the thread.

The E40 upgrade thread relates to the later model but contains useful posts.

Ensure you are fully up to speed on what you are doing before making changes.

The effort of reading the E30 and E40 upgrade posts is well worth the effort and enables you to better understand how to change the configuration files to best meet your personal needs.

Enjoy the journey to upgrading the E30bx and releasing its full potential. You will not regret the time spent studying the process and it really is not that difficult on your version of the camera.

All the best

Fraser

The following users thanked this post: cvanc, nikitasius

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 04:14:01 pm »
Your camera needs the version 2.23 firmware update.

OK, cool.  Two things:

1- I registered my s/n at flir.com & went looking for the firmware update.  They offered this version, is it OK to install?
FLIR Exx P/N:490xx (2.26.14) Update Pack

2- Before I upgrade the camera I want to do a full backup but I am not understanding how to do that.  If this had Ethernet connectivity I'd just FTP into it and pull out a copy, but it doesn't have Ethernet.  I am not clear on this "Use IE and RNDIS" approach - is this something like FTP and is there a primer somewhere?

Thanks.

Offline Spirit532

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 04:22:18 pm »
OK, cool.  Two things:

1- I registered my s/n at flir.com & went looking for the firmware update.  They offered this version, is it OK to install?
FLIR Exx P/N:490xx (2.26.14) Update Pack

2- Before I upgrade the camera I want to do a full backup but I am not understanding how to do that.  If this had Ethernet connectivity I'd just FTP into it and pull out a copy, but it doesn't have Ethernet.  I am not clear on this "Use IE and RNDIS" approach - is this something like FTP and is there a primer somewhere?

Thanks.

1. You need the 2.23 firmware, not 2.26.

2. Make yourself familiar with the hack before blindly attempting it.
RNDIS is "Remote Network Driver Interface Specification", and when you turn the mode on(via the menu), your E30 turns into a network adapter, at which point you can FTP into the filesystem, which is a step required for the hack.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 04:39:30 pm »
Interesting development..... So FLIR released an updated firmware for this old series in September 2017 !

Me thinks that unusual as they have ignored the earlier Exx series for years  >:(

Under no circumstances install firmware 2.26 if you are intending to upgrade. It very likely has some nasty surprises inside it.

I will upload 2.23 to a site for download later today.

Regarding RNDIS mode. This is entered via the use of a hidden menu as detailed in the E4 teardown thread. Go to the menu, navigate to the camera details page and hold the right navigation button down for around 10 seconds. The hidden menu appears. During the upgrade leave the camera in RNDIS mode until you are certain all is well. It enables you to edit the file system even if something goes wrong with the upgrade. Once all is well, use the hidden menu to return the camera to its default port mode (streamed video and mass storage device). Once in RNDIS mode you can see the cameras IP address and use FileZilla to access the camera file system. You need the Log in data as well : FLIR and 3vlig.

Fraser

Fraser

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 05:35:36 pm »
Make yourself familiar with the hack before blindly attempting it.

Oh, absolutely.  Baby steps.  Don't want to mess up my new power tool  :-+

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 06:07:42 pm »
Regarding RNDIS mode. This is entered via the use of a hidden menu

OK, I found this blog http://andrew.daviel.org/E4-blog.html which says:
A "hidden menu" is described in the forum threads; this is accessible under Settings/Device Settings/Camera Information(*) by pressing and holding the right cursor for some ten seconds. A new menu appears with USB mode, Export information and Version information.
USB mode offers a choice of MSD (mass storage device) - the normal setting, UVC (USB video class), RNDIS (Remote Network Driver Interface Specification), or a combination.

...So if I'm understanding correctly, to make a backup I would do this...
1) Connect camera --> PC with USB cable
2) Enter RNDIS mode on the camera(*), and
3) Then 'somehow' RNDIS gives me an "IP address over USB" that I can navigate with FileZilla?
4) Copy everything in the camera to my PC for safety backup

...Right?

(*) On my camera the keystrokes are different than described above:  It actually seems to be Mode/Information/hold down the right cursor button/hidden 'USB Mode' menu appears.  I have verified this on my camera, I can get to the hidden menu no problem.

Offline Spirit532

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 06:12:42 pm »
Yes.
Everything is described multiple times in multiple threads.
Read them.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 06:28:26 pm »
Things people often get wrong with the upgrade......

1. Calculating the CRC1 checksum.

Do this part of the process very carefully as additional spaces in the serial number line cause failure. Correctly enter the CRC1 data in the last line of the file. Repeat the whole process from scratch and ensure you get the same CRC1 data. If you do, try the new file in the camera. Any issues, revert back to the original file and analyse your CRC1 production process as something is wrong with it. An extra space or line feed is all it takes to mess things up.

2. Do not add files to the camera. You must over write the original and so replace it. Not doing so causes problems. This is why you backup all possible files from the camera, in case of error. Remember to stay in RNDIS mode as this is your lifeline if you lose control of the cameras keypad or screen due to a problem when upgrading.

3. Remember to remove the battery after the upgrade as this causes the required 'cold boot' that loads up the new file contents. The camera remembers to stay in RNDIS mode even after a cold boot.

4. Be very careful when transferring files using FileZilla. I know you are used to that program but it is easy to place files in the wrong directory and fail in the upgrade.

5. If it all goes wrong, panic not. Just use FileZilla to place the original versions of any changed files in the camera and overwrite the upgrade files. In theory you can dump the whole back-up back into the camera but I have never done that. Always check for accidental orphan files that you may have placed in the wrong directory.

Note that when copying 'all' the directories and files out of the camera, you will get a load of failed transfers as those files are in use by the system. You do not need those files so worry not and ignore the warnings.

Fraser

The following users thanked this post: cvanc, nikitasius

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 03:08:31 pm »
In case anyone needs it, I have uploaded Mk1 Exx firmware 2.23 here:

http://www.filedropper.com/flirexxpn490v22314updatepack1

Fraser

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, cvanc, haef, jslashr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 11:03:07 pm »
Thank you both very much for your assistance and expertise.

It'll be a couple days before I can get back to this project but I hope to soon report solid communications via RNDIS / safety backup / 2.23 upgrade.  Once I get to that point I will check in here.

I really appreciate it, gents.

Offline Spirit532

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 11:18:23 pm »
You're welcome! :)

Be sure to document any peculiarities you encounter, it's always nice to have more information about odd things that happen.

Offline 300EVIL

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 06:24:18 am »
Thank you both very much for your assistance and expertise.

It'll be a couple days before I can get back to this project but I hope to soon report solid communications via RNDIS / safety backup / 2.23 upgrade.  Once I get to that point I will check in here.

I really appreciate it, gents.

I recently performed (today) the 2.23 firmware upgrade on my E60 (MK1) and all went well. I am still in the process of applying the rest of the hack for the additional tools and the complete noise removal. (I find it interesting to hear even the E60 has built in noise.)

I found this blog very helpful as I recently used it to upgrade my first thermal, the E4. http://fubar.gr/hacking-the-flir-e4/

The instructions for using the FTP client are the same for the E4 as it would be for the E30 - E60. I made backups of my original 1.6 firmware and settings and my new 2.23.14 firmware / settings.

As for the firmware update. I loaded both update files on a 32GB SD card and placed it in the camera. I did notice the card was not initialized until a hard reboot. After that, the "Update Firmware" did show up in the information menu. I would highly suggest a charged battery and external power plugged in for this update process. The camera gets hot!

The whole update really does take close to 30 minutes. Lots of loading and a couple of automatic restarts. Even when you think it is done, just let it sit. It's kinda freaky updating firmware, I'm sure there are some safeties built in but why take a chance of bricking your thermal camera.  I had the camera go to thermal image a couple times and thought it was done updating and it began loading another process, just be patient.

Please keep us updated on your upgrade process, I will share info on my experiences as well but I want to take it slow and not brick my new toy.
Adam

Before Update...

Switching to RNDIS mode...

Updating Firmware...

After the Update...

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 07:10:44 am by 300EVIL »

Offline 300EVIL

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2018, 06:58:46 am »
NOTE: I did revert back to the original "UVC and MSD" mode and unplugged the USB cable when I was updating the firmware from the SD card. I really don't think this is necessary but I didn't want to take the chance of something weird happening. Still, doesn't hurt to be careful.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 12:24:59 pm »
Just a small update from my side:  I haven't had a lot of time to work on the camera but two thresholds have been passed:

1) I got the camera talking to my Win10 laptop via RNDIS, see https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/how-to-set-up-a-rndis-connection-e30bx-to-windows-10-laptop/ for the gory details.  (Basically I could not get it to work at all, upgraded the camera firmware, and after the upgrade RNDIS communications worked easily)

2) And as mentioned I have revved the firmware from 1.36 to 2.23.  Many thanks to Fraser for posting the necessary files.  The upgrade was routine and took about 20 minutes with a few reboots along the way.  The picture quality seems to already be improved - am I imagining that or does it sound plausible?

I think I've only a full backup to make and then I can start with the actual hack.  Hopefully I'll have time in the next few days to give it a try.

Thanks again to all who contribute here!  This forum really is a marvel.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 01:07:52 pm »
Regarding the bx cameras with their limited temperature capability....

I am told that Temperature Range 2 may be enabled via the service menu. This is accessed using your internet browser plus the cameras IP address and the published passwords of 3vlig and 1235 (EEPROM unlock) Other E30bx owners have commented that the cameras Range 2 contains valid calibration data.
I have not investigated this matter further so proceeed at your own risk !

Fraser

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 10:55:34 pm »
Hi all-

Just a quick note to report I've successfully done a mini-hack - that is, I've increased resolution from 160x120 to 320x240 and turned off the noise generator.  I edited FlashFS\system\appcore.d\config.d\conf.cfg to accomplish both tasks.

Interestingly, my factory noise setting was 90, is that normal?  At zero now it looks so much better!

I'll probably leave it alone for a while and do more experimenting in the future.  Many thanks for all the discussions here on this, it's really appreciated.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 01:48:16 am »
Cvanc,

Yes an injected false noise level of 90mK is used on the E30 cameras. The higher up the Exx range you go, the lower the value of injected false noise. FLIR use this as a tool to offer 'improved' noise levels for the higher priced cameras. Even the E60 has some false noise injected to degrade its performance a little compared to higher specified cameras like the T6xx series.

Fraser
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 01:54:24 am by Fraser »

Offline Spirit532

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 10:01:46 pm »
Can also confirm that the Txxx series(namely my T440bx) has the noise generator module, but it is disabled and set to 0 from the factory.

Offline Paw85

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2018, 07:16:40 pm »
New to the forum and would like to start by thanking everyone in here and especially Fraser for posting the 2.23.14 firmware and providing a lot of information about upgrading the Exx series.

Just acquired an used E30bx two days ago and figured to try and provide some information in return from the unit I purchased.

Condition was quite good, no scratches or dust on the lens and only minor marks on the outside, sticker on the handle-front a bit damaged, was purchased for £1000.
The camera was made 2012, is hardware version 1.1 (and with rubber "doors" for the ports on the sides) and had firmware 1.43.23 installed on it.
As it turned out it had Wifi and BT installed, and calibrated Range 2 on it!

From the information I had previously found in the forum I thought that it was only the early models with the hard plastic doors that had the Wifi and BT module inside, but it appears that at least some of the ones with the rubber doors does too!

And upgrading it to a E60+ worked great too thanks to all the help and information here in the forum, thank you all!

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2018, 07:52:38 pm »
Hiya,

Can you please confirm how you enabled Range 2 as I heard that it was possible via the service menu, but I have never done that upgrade as my camera was a E40.

Fraser

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf