Author Topic: Keysight U5855A TrueIR thermal imager  (Read 93070 times)

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
Re: Keysight U5855A TrueIR thermal imager
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2017, 07:19:56 am »
I am lucky, my Keysight E5810B, GPIB to LAN to USB Gateway uses the very same same charger / power supply.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2017, 07:25:58 am »
Please be aware that these cameras are not what I would class as 'Professional'. They are more like 'entry level' or for Semi-Pro user such as electricians or plumbers.

Yeah well, bad wording maybe but I mean one that's designed as a proper tool for people to work with by a real instrumentation manufacturer with the associated qualities rather than those more akin to toys e.g. Seek Reveal...

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2017, 02:43:49 am »
I think I have found the NEC camera from which teh U5855A was developed. The NEC-AVIO G30

Datasheets

http://www.couriertronics.com/docs/NEC/SOLTEC-NEC%20Avio%20G30%20Thermo%20Gear.pdf

https://waermebildkamera.irpod.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/necavio_f20-f30-g30.pdf

Pictures attached

The U5855A is a definite improvement on that G30 design though  :)

Fraser
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 02:48:18 am by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline TheSteveTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2017, 03:37:58 am »
Some quick internal pics of the cam, it is easy to open, just the 6 JIS screws on the front - all machine thread with rubber gaskets. Just be careful of the rubber gasket and interconnect cables when splitting the halves.

As can be seen one of the PCB's is marked "AVIO", the main FPGA is a Cyclone III - EP3C25F32417N.
VE7FM

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2017, 03:39:59 am »
And a few more thermal shots - the grey scale seems not to bad.
VE7FM

Offline amv

• Contributor
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2017, 07:27:18 am »
Some trivia on 'Super Resolution' for those interested.

The idea is actually nothing new and dates back to at least the 1970's. It is a legitimate method of increasing the effective resolution of a cameras sensor array.

In early thermal detector arrays there was a need to increase the effective resolution beyond the physical pixel count. In that period, it was common to use scanning type cameras with either one or two scan axis and one or many detector elements, depending upon the design.

In a single axis scanning camera, the thermal scene may be presented to a linear array of detector pixels. If the array consists of only 50 pixels elements, the vertical height of the image produced will be 50 pixels. Now if the detector array is moved vertically such that each pixel fills the gap between the previous scan lines you effectively achieve a 100 pixel height image after two complete scans. The movement of the detector array requires a precision mechanism operating at high speeds. IIRC Piezo Electric drives were used.

Now move forward to the present day and we have cameras stating that they have 160 x 120 pixels yet with a software feature they can produce 320 x 240 pixels. Interpolation is usually the first assumption by many. Whilst a legitimate way to upscale an image, it adds no real new scene data. As such it is flawed in terms of radiometric resolution. Vibrating the FPA sensor at high speed in X and Y planes is a mechanical way to increase the radiometric resolution as the image is effectively scanned to the blind area between pixels. Such a system is complex and expensive though.

It was realised that hand held thermal cameras already had a source of vertical and horizontal scanning..... namely normal human hand shake ! If you imagine the camera capturing a series of images to memory as you hold it in your hand and pointing at a thermal scene, the camera will move slightly between image captures and so when overlayed one on top of the other, there will be image registration errors.The image registration errors are used by the software to effectively generate a higher resolution image that contains real radiometric data samples from the pixels, rather than interpolation.

I have way over simplified the way the software handles the data but this is not just simple image layering as that would likely cause poor image sharpness and blurring. If you mount the camera on a tripod so that it cannot move, the resolution enhancement algorithms have little to work with in terms of camera movement and resultant registration errors in the captured image group. The registration errors are essential to the correct operation of the process.

Before people shout that at 9fps such stacking will severely reduce real time image update rate...... no one said the process needs to operate at the cameras display update rate of <9fps. A microbolometer can be run at 30fps or higher and the images used for Super Resolution can be grabbed out of that high frame rate data stream before the <9fps limitation is imposed on the displayed data.  In such a case, the user would notice little or no reduction in frame rate when using the Super Resolution mode. Any decrease would be due to a lack of image processing power in the cameras computer.

So I hope this helps explain Super Resolution to those who were unaware of how it functions. Interpolation it is not  ;)

Is it a gimmick ? Well those who used it in the early days of thermal imaging when sensor arrays were seriously low resolution, did not think so. It was a vital and effective means to increase the true pixel data content in an image. Interpolation just 'guesses' the value of a non-existent pixel between others. Good for pretty images, bad for collecting real thermal scene data where every pixel is providing data that is being analysed by the user.

Fraser

hi Fraser
I have been following the thermal imaging treads for a couple of years, and it has definetly
taught me a lot about TIC´s and how they work. I must admit that some of the stuff you and others make theese things do, is over my head, but very interesting to follow.
So i just want to thank you for writing posts like "some trivia on super resolution" it really makes it easy - at least for me - to understand the underlaying things that goes on inside, and in this case how a relative "low" pixel bolometer actually can produce impresive radiometric correct pictures.
I know that you have other  things you need to do, but please dont stop making theese very inlightning posts, i think we are a lot of people in here whom really enjoy them.
Have a nice day
Jan

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2017, 03:38:55 am »
Nobody else has received their camera yet?

A couple more pictures to amuse myself.

Bonus points if you can tell me exactly what car I have.

last pic is a reflection off some stainless steel on the front of my BBQ.
VE7FM

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2017, 07:11:18 am »
Nobody else has received their camera yet?

I got notification by Keysight Germany, that my camera will be shipped this week and should be at my place by next week, right after Easter.

Your pictures are looking great!

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2017, 01:10:05 pm »
Mine arrived this morning. Still in box though. No time to check it yet

Fraser

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2017, 01:20:23 pm »
Mine shipped (from Malaysia?) 8th April according to eBay, so presumably it will be a while yet

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2017, 01:23:28 pm »
Shipping is very fast. Mine shipped Thursday., arrived today

Fraser

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2017, 01:55:09 pm »
Shipping is very fast. Mine shipped Thursday., arrived today

Fraser
I once flew from KL to London, on a nearly-empty flight (therefore high) with a window seat, 'starboard home'. The sky was cloudless from halfway up the Malayan peninsula to the Caspian. The views were stunning - the Thai coast; the Andaman islands; the excitement of seeing India for the first time, and realising just how big it is; recognising the Red Fort and the Taj Mahal at Agra; and always the distant, vast Himalayas; the Afghan mountains looking (from that height) for all the world like Wales; the plains of ancient Khorasan. Then cloud all the way to Heathrow :(

I hope my thermal imager enjoys its flight!

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2017, 03:17:28 pm »
For those waiting to hear about my experiences with the Keysight U5855A.

Please be advised that my family suffered a death yesterday and my wife and i are mourning our loss. It will take some time to get life back on an 'even keel'  I ask for your patience.

Fraser
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 03:25:36 pm by Fraser »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2017, 03:48:26 pm »
Just a very quick observation for owners of this camera wanting a neat 'soft' carry case for it.

My E4 soft case fits the U5855A like it was designed for it ! Perfect fit with all the bulges in the right places  :)

The E4 soft case can often be found cheaply on ebay. I paid £17 for mine. They are very nice, high quality cases.

Fraser

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2017, 08:14:34 pm »

IMHO, there will be at least three Camps when it comes to thermal camera solutions

1. The complete 'all in one' solution - pick up and use, no apps or phones to mess around with
2. The Phone Dongle solution that is 'diminutive' and for some convenient to attach to their powerful smart phone (watch out for incoming calls though)
3. The complete camera and dongle solution - to suit differing situations.

I'd actually add a 4th option here: thermal imaging "cores". By these I mean the Tau2, ICI 9640, Optris Pi etc. These all require an additional processing system such as a PC or laptop.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2017, 08:43:43 pm »
Absolutely. The cores offer the possibility of custom solutions to suit the users needs. In the case of some cores they are plug and play with an initial configuration via a PC, then just power and a display needed for fully automatic operation. Such is commonly found in fire fighting cameras that basically have an on/off button with range, span and level all auto adjusting under the cores own built in 'intelligence'.

Cores tend to be for OEM's and thermal imaging hobbyists though. They are not a complete solution and need a case as a minimum. Wonderful for experimentation though :)

Fraser

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2017, 08:51:14 pm »
We've got quite a few cores now, so always good fun to play with, I'll list them here, but probably best to start a new post shortly:

Workswell WIRIS 2 (Tau2)
Optris TIM450
Optris TIM640
ICI 9640 x2
ICI 8640 (modded Tau2)
FLIR A655sc

All these posts about the keysight camera is really tempting me, however I think I've skipped over the link to buy one?

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2017, 09:00:06 pm »
Just search eBay.com for Keysight U5855A and you will find a seller named Keysight. That is the real Keysight disposals branch and they are great to do business with. I had a query about my camera and emailed them. I received a phone call from a really great chap at Keysight USA a few hours later. Issue resolved. You could not wish for better support :)

My camera is Ex Demo but has not been abused. They are inspected and a report written on each before sale. The battery remains the only challenge as most cameras come without the battery, PSU etc. All the accessories except the battery are easy to source cheaply.

Fraser
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:52:17 pm by Fraser »

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2017, 05:32:06 pm »
Mine was shipped yesterday and is scheduled to arrive in the country tonight... should have it tomorrow with a bit of luck, if not it's gonna wait in some warehouse until Tuesday obviously...

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2017, 06:47:52 pm »
Expect a pretty large box measuring 48cm x 34cm x 30cm.

Inside you will find the camera covered in packing paper and cocooned in plastic covered expanding foam pillows.

It is VERY well protected  :-+

Fraser

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2017, 07:40:02 pm »
I found the Keysight official battery on sale for £55 at RS Components, stock number 877-3153. Cheap enough not to worry about too much.

The following users thanked this post: TheSteve

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2017, 08:00:57 pm »
Sadly battery now out of stock. On back order until 7/7/2017  :(

Good price  :-+
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 10:07:12 pm by Fraser »

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2017, 08:12:42 pm »
Damn, unfortunately I never found the time to look at one!

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2017, 12:14:00 pm »
Guess nfmax snatched the last one :P

No luck here, got delayed, scheduled to fly in today now. No playing over the long weekend...

I found 2 old 18650s laying around, and ordered a small 2s BMS form China. Since the camera apparently charges the battery form the DC in supply it seems it's not a requirement to remove the battery... so I'll probably just wire that up permanently inside. Might still design a 3D printed case if there's enough room to fit the BMS in, just got a new printer that needs "testing" ;), would also be a chance to improve my lacking 3D design skills on complex parts...

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2017, 05:09:54 pm »
Yes at least the battery is pretty conventional in design. The ones I dislike most are those that contain a microcontroller that not only manages the battery safety, but also provides a unique ID to the host. I have some very expensive VR headsets that will not boot or charge the battery unless the 'intelligent' battery microcontroller is present. When the Li-Ion cells dies, the controller deletes the unique ID rendering it, and the battery casing. useless !
It was a way of forcing users to purchase the extortionately expensive OEM batteries.

Fraser
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 09:55:57 pm by Fraser »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf