Author Topic: Kindness and generosity from fellow Thermal forum members.  (Read 2200 times)

Online FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Kindness and generosity from fellow Thermal forum members.
« on: August 18, 2018, 12:19:25 pm »
A recent event has prompted me to highlight the kindness and generosity to be found on this Thermal Sub-forum from fellow members.

Over the years I have tried to share as much knowledge on thermal imaging topics as able. There are restrictions on some areas of the topic and I respect that. During my time here, I have met some really great people and some have been in a position to help me increase my knowledge. One particular forum member designs the electronics packages for thermal imaging cameras and he has enlightened me on many interesting aspects of thermal camera design and operation. I will not embarrass him by giving his name, but I consider him to be my friend. He gives his amazing knowledge without expecting any form of repayment. That is true generosity.

Other forum members have also come to my aid when I needed help. One chap very kindly made me a batch of close-up lens holders on his lathe. They are made of Aluminium, complex shaped and lovely quality. A true craftsman. I was gifted a spare parts donor ISG Talisman chassis by Toploser a few years ago. Those who know Toploser will not be surprised at reading this as he is such a kind and generous chap :) I know he will not mind me giving his forum name here. If you need excellent generously priced test equipment, I can highly recommend the kit Toploser sells on this forum. Another forum member who works in the industry gifted me a pair of FLIR PM series batteries that I needed. He has also helped me rehome my nice, but too large to keep, Agema 800 cooled camera :) A very friendly and kind person.

We have all witnessed the generosity of thermal forum members who have written software for image analysis, camera control and the FLIR camera upgrade. Others have designed 3D parts for use with our cameras. Those people have all spent their valuable time helping people they often do not know, and they ask nothing of us in return. True generosity once again. I thank all who have spent their time helping others in this forum, either with information, software or testing of camera upgrades.

I personally experienced great generosity last week. Some time ago I tried to help a chap with a faulty FLIR HS series thermal scope. It appeared to be suffering from the same malady as the one I repaired. The chap saw my posts on that units repair and joined the forum to ask for help. I provided the firmware update files plus maybe some comments on the repair I did (I cannot remember). He thanked me, repaired his HS Scope and I did not expect to hear from him again. A few weeks ago I received a forum message from the same chap. The HS scope has succumbed to a hardware fault involving self destructing Tantalum capacitors and he had decided to buy a better thermal scope. He wanted to know if I was interested in the dead HS as a gift ? Is the Pope a Catholic I thought :) I was eager to offer a good hole to the poorly HS scope and would enjoy repairing it :) Last week I received a FedEx parcel from the USA. It was the HS Scope! I tried to reimburse the chap for the postage but he declined, stating all this was just some good Karma that was heading my way after helping him and others on the forum. What a wonderful guy he is. So kind and generous. If he reads this. Thank you again :)

It is not uncommon in this modern internet age to be treated a bit like an Oracle on Google who people ask for help, but then disappear without further Communications after such help is provided. That is just the modern world of information retrieval then moving on to the next task without looking back. I am so touched that some people choose to keep in touch and let me know if they have solved their problem or even just a 'cheers that helped me' message. I do not expect payment in any form and it is so unexpected and heartwarming to have someone think of me when wanting to rehome an unwanted dead piece of equipment.

To all those who I have hopefully helped, you are most welcome and do not be afraid to keep in touch. To those who have shown kindness and generosity towards me, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I believe in Karma and you are wonderful people, one and all :)

And do not forget, I am willing to help others with their thermal camera issues within the limits of releasable information, access to the 'patient' and limits of my knowledge. If you ever need to rehome a dead thermal camera, please think of me as well :) I am retired and love working on them as a hobby to keep me sane.

My Best Wishes to all my fellow thermal camera fans :)

Fraser

« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 01:15:36 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, digsys, babysitter, tautech, Zucca, Mr.B, lukier, Bill W, jram, ttelectronic, Razvan_N

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Kindness and generosity from fellow Thermal forum members.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 05:56:05 pm »
Good sentiment Fraser. I would add that we are probably all thankful of the many contributors of and those who share information. At times the internet can be a wonderful thing or a terrible thing, but in this particular case it's most certainly the former. So I thank those who share also, you are all very much appreciated.

The following users thanked this post: ewizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 12:15:42 pm »
Dave Jones was a little unsure about creating a sub-forum dedicated to thermal imaging topics. I am so pleased that he did as it is now a high density repository of information, knowledge and discussion. I know of no other such thermal imaging related forum on the internet. Thanks Dave  :-+

Fraser

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 02:24:42 pm »
Dave Jones was a little unsure about creating a sub-forum dedicated to thermal imaging topics. I am so pleased that he did as it is now a high density repository of information, knowledge and discussion. I know of no other such thermal imaging related forum on the internet. Thanks Dave  :-+

No problem, thanks for helping make it the place it is.
BTW, I must have missed the "recent event", I hope it wasn't serious?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 02:43:00 pm »
Dave, no the recent event was a happy one ..... it was when someone who does not know me or owe me anything gifted me a FLIR HS series thermal scope plus they shipped it to me from the USA at no charge ! That was both very generous and kind. I was touched by this act and it made me realise that there are some truly lovely people on this forum :) You may meet such generosity and kindness more often from your forum members, and well deserved it is too, but for me it was very unexpected and appreciated.

Thanks again for providing us with such a wonderful forum and for your videos etc.

Fraser

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 09:13:37 pm »
Fraser

It is for meeting people like you that I pay every month that stupid ISP.
I learned so much from all your posts...

« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 09:27:26 pm by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: Fraser

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 11:18:48 pm »
Yes, wouldn't be the same for sure without Fraser. I thank you also sir.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf