Author Topic: Looking for all around starter camera, diesel engines, automotive, and PCB??  (Read 1043 times)

Offline theBigKTopic starter

• Contributor
I like the flir one pro ability of higher temp range to be able to see very hot injectors and exhaust problems. I would like to be able to look at PCBs as well.

I looked at seek, therm app, and thermal experts, considered a hacked E30 if the temp range is that of an E60, have a budget of a $1000 for the first one, but don't mind seeing if the one pro may be enough?

Any input is appreciated my only worry with the lower resolution is whether I'll be able to figure anything out while looking at an engine

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Member Fraser is our thermal imaging expert, hunt out the many posts he has on the forum on thermal stuff or send him a PM seeking advice.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
  • Just zis guy, you know?
    • Therm-App Users on Flickr
Resolution is important. Take a look at the 12 days of thermal riddles to see how confusing low resolution images can be. (Those images are deliberately made to be difficult to interpret).

Also have a look at the Thermal Imaging Gallery where you'll see sample images from a wide range of devices and resolutions.

If you need to measure the actual temperature of injectors and exhausts then you will need a higher quality (radiometric) camera. If all you need to do is see relative hot spots (for example, 'this injector is hotter than the other three') then the majority of thermal cameras will do.

Personally, I would avoid resolution lower than 160x120, for ease of interpretation; 320x240 (or 384x288), whilst significantly more expensive, is in my opinion generally more revealing.

Adjustable focus will be a must if you intend to use the same device for PCBs and engines.

It may be worth your while buying a used, low resolution Seek or Flir camera on eBay or similar so you can get the feel of things, then buy a 'proper' camera and sell on the lower resolution unit. You're likely to get more or less what you paid for it.
Rubber bands bridge the gap between WD40 and duct tape.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf