Author Topic: New FLIR One App  (Read 6189 times)

Offline in.VitroTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
New FLIR One App
« on: June 20, 2017, 11:55:39 pm »
Hey guys, I downloaded the new App for the FLIR One for the iPhone....wow... they crippled the App.... no panoramic thermal images anymore... and the worst part... you must sign in, like the rubbish SeeK Thermal... what do you think about the new App?

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
Re: New FLIR One App
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 11:56:16 am »
Looks like they're retarding the app so that they can add those features to the FLIR One Pro camera.

Since the update, I no longer get a display on my Samsung S7 Edge when the FLIR One is connected. Just get a black screen. I can take images and view them afterwards, but it's pretty much useless now. Any ideas on how to fix? Cannot seem to find any answers when Googling!

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 02:33:39 am »
https://apkpure.com/flir-one/com.flir.flirone
Pretty straightforward to downgrade on Android. And please do contact customer support and complain, so they won't think they're getting away with what appears to be drunk programming.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline none

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 05:39:17 am »
Thanks for the link, I was hoping there was a service like this. FLIR are jokers to REMOVE features. Maybe it is selling too well and their actual camera sales have dropped?
If the features removed are described in the manual, would that not be a (legal) violation of some sort or at least a defect?
Regarding the registration nag screen - it seems this can just be cancelled with the "<" Android soft key?

However, my relatively new Flir ONE Android bought in march is not detected/recognized any longer at all.
It used to work about a month ago. It charges (slowly) and starts, the shutter works as well, the LED blinks green, but the app does not detect it, nor does the "FLIR-approved" "Thermal Camera for FLIR One" app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=georg.com.flironetest_01 which does not record movies and had connection state issues to begin with). I don't have another Android device to test with  - are there any settings (USB OTG) or updates that could cause this problem?

.. no difference with the older "FLIR ONE_v1.5.9" ..

---

UPDATE: it seems that dirt/dust in the phone's usb connector was the cause (although it did work with the PC).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 07:11:40 pm by none »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 12:05:44 pm »
Removing features from the APP is bad form and a vulnerability of the APP based solution. I expect OEM's to enhance their APP's over time, not remove fearures ! That will not win FLIR any friends. An underhand act if ever I saw one. This is why I prefer the dedicated thermal camera solutions. They do not rely on an app for their functionality and are not 'upgraded' without my knowledge and authority. 

Such behaviour, if it becomes excessive, may drive people away from the phone dongle format and towards the dedicated thermal cameras. I know that FLIR were very careful about what the F1G2 would be allowed to do, in terms of functionality. Maybe their marketing team continue to meddle with its capabilities to protect their other product sales or to encourage new buyers to go for the PRO version ! I think the 80 x 60 F1G3 is a bit of a joke and retrograde step. The next obvious generation would have been a standard 160 x 120 pixel Lepton 3 and an 'enhanced' dongle using either a tweaked Lepton 3 or software based resolution enhancement (Super Resolution). That would have made sense to me. A 320 x 240 pixel Lepton will not be released for some time as it suffers die dimension and lens quality issues in the current Lepton design.

Frase
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 12:24:45 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline eternalone

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 03:29:31 pm »
I never used it anyway. It was sorta rubbish and held back the hardware to begin with.

Go buy Thermal Camera+ from play store. Leaps and bounds over the Flirone app.

Just wish he'd throw in another update. He's very innovative.

Offline in.VitroTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 09:12:55 pm »
I found a very interresting thing.

When you open the Palettepicker you can see the "unprocessed" image as you can see in the picture...

look at those 3 dots, in the little preview-thingy you can clearly see that you have a wider FOV... interessting  ::)

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 06:02:08 am »
Element 14 have a few FLIR One left for $363 + GST at present.  Is it worth getting and using with the "Thermal Camera+" app?

In some ways I'd prefer a stand alone solution, but the price jumps dramatically or the resolution is comparatively poor.

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 09:32:22 am »
the new Flir One Pro with Lepton 160x120 costs almost twice as the "old" F1G2

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 04:45:38 pm »
Element 14 have a few FLIR One left for $363 + GST at present.  Is it worth getting and using with the "Thermal Camera+" app?

In some ways I'd prefer a stand alone solution, but the price jumps dramatically or the resolution is comparatively poor.

ThermalCamera+ does not support the new Pro yet.
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 05:53:39 pm »
The FLIR One G2 strikes me as the better value camera. It contains exactly the same LEPTON 3 core as the FLIR One G3 but the G3 image output processing appears to have changed, either in hardware, firmware or the APP.

The fly in the ointment is the apparent failure rate of FLIR One G2 cameras. I was not aware of this until eBay 'customer returns' sellers started approaching me asking if I would be interested in repairing their bulk lots of F1G2 cameras. We are not talking about 1's and 2's here, but rather 10's of failed cameras. I already have a total six F1G2 cameras, two of which were new to me and four remain from those I have repaired. Some of the failed cameras just seemed to have 'locked up' for reasons unknown. Others suffered battery discharge beyond recovery.

If you can get your hands on a used F1G2 at a sensible price then it still presents good value for money for the person who is not too demanding of it.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 08:41:51 pm »

ThermalCamera+ does not support the new Pro yet.

It's unclear what generation the E14 ones for $363+ are, but they are not the Pro version.  That's a lot more $$ and listed separately.

I might ask my E14 rep to look into it for me.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 08:51:39 am »
The ones E14 are selling off are G2 for what it's worth.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf