Author Topic: New Years resolution .... Cold Turkey for Fraser !  (Read 2047 times)

Online FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
New Years resolution .... Cold Turkey for Fraser !
« on: December 18, 2017, 12:30:51 pm »
As those who read my posts will know, I enjoy buying, repairing and using thermal imaging cameras. This has become a bit of an addiction and I freely admit it  :)

If you saw a good deal on eBay UK for a thermal camera, it was highly likely I would be bidding on it with the intention of adding it to my already significant inventory. That's addiction for you, never knowing when enough is enough.

My past health issues have limited how much repair work I can do so there is now a decent backlog of 'patients' awaiting my attention. It will take me some time to work through them, but I intend to repair them, or rehome some to other enthusiasts.

A friendly comment by Gyro got me thinking. I basically 'hoover up' just about all the 'bargain' thermal cameras that appear on eBay UK. Is that fair to other thermal imaging enthusiasts though ? If I do not truly 'need' the cameras, then maybe not. Addicts tend not to think of others 😔

I am currently bidding on a camera that I do want in order to restore another. I may, or may not, chase it hard. I have yet to decide.

I have decided that, with the end of 2017 fast approaching, now is a good time to make a New Years resolution. It is my intention to stop buying thermal imaging cameras in 2018. I will have to go 'Cold Turkey' and concentrate on repairing and using the cameras that I already own. The inventory is approaching 80 units now 😯 I may decide to sell some of that large inventory but I have already been down that path and selling thermal cameras can be challenging in terms of finding the right buyer willing to pay a premium for high performance models. I do reserve the right to buy any 'very interesting' cameras or accessories though 🙂

So for chaps such as Gyro who are hunting for a camera, I am retiring from the 'battlefield' and leaving it open to you so that you may buy thermal camera technology without competition from me.

Happy hunting in 2018 all 👍

Fraser

If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Avacee

• Supporter
Re: New Years resolution .... Cold Turkey for Fraser !
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 12:48:46 pm »
Rather than go "Cold Turkey" you could go "Bouncer" and operate a strict one out, one in policy :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 01:00:32 pm »
Yes but I am a genuine 100% certificated Squirrel mentality with Packrat tendencies !

Better to go 'Cold Turkey' and avoid the stress that parting with my 'babies' causes 😄

Fraser

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 01:20:35 pm »
Damn, that was intended as a lighthearted passing comment, not in any way intended to cause you to modify your behavior!  :-[

I enjoy seeing your teardowns and tales of acquisitions (in all parts of the electromagnetic spectrum) you do a much better job of it than most of us here.

Please don't go cold turkey on your addiction on the basis of my comment. Avacee has a very good point though, you might well benefit from disposing of your less interesting and less cabable (low res?) devices to those of us with lower aspirations, while using the revenue to feed your 'habit' with more interesting items. A potential combination of improved cashflow and a warm fuzzy feeling.

P.S. The clock is counting me on being able to open my Amazon lightning deal TG130 and report my findings. I have a ZnSe lens waiting too. One week to go - damned sealed blister packs, no peeping!  |O
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 01:26:50 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 01:21:42 pm »
Will you need a new thermal camera to ascertain just how cold the turkey is?

The following users thanked this post: ovnr

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 02:56:41 pm »
I think this could only get worse. I don't want to talk you into your addiction but how will you feel when you see a top offer and decide to not bid on it. You will hate yourself for that.

You need some allies in this.

It's not like spending all the money is putting you in a bad situation. You should look for local friends and put up your collection for exhibition.

New year's resolution should be something you work towards not against. Set yourself a rule like for every 2 units you repair or sell you can buy one new one.

This will motivate you when you see that once in a decade offer on eBay.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 03:41:22 pm »
Thanks for the comments and support folks 🙂

Gyro, what you said was taken in the manner you intended. Do not worry. I have been thinking I need to stop buying for a while now. I have recently had a significant splurge on thermal camera related stuff as you know. I am aware that for every auction I win, I could effectively prevent someone entering this fascinating world of thermal imaging that I so enjoy. It could be considered quite selfish of me as I already own more cameras than I can possibly use on a regular basis.

I will consider options but, at the very least, I will stop buying lower spec cameras that truthfully are of little use to me. A good example is the 80 x 60 pixel Satir MinIR 80 or the five faulty F1G2 cameras that still await my attention .... why did I buy them ? The MinIR was £160 and the F1G2's were also cheap. I could not help myself. That will need to change.

I do not regret buying the ETS320 and DUO R cameras though. They are both unusual and interesting :)

If a really special camera became available I would still go after it, I will not kid myself thinking otherwise.

I could sell the lower resolution cameras in my collection, and maybe some of the older, BST, based units. That does make sense. Some of those cameras are a great and affordable introduction to thermal imaging.

We shall see.

Sometimes it is good to analyse oneself and, in my case, I am an expert at it. I know my faults and buying too many toys is one of them :) I also have a vast collection of test equipment that will definitely be heading out the door in 2018. I realised that I repair the majority of 'patients' with the minority of my test equipment inventory. I have way more than I actually need.

Merry Christmas to you all and we could see an interesting 2018 if I stop buying, and start documenting repairs or reviewing thermal cameras instead !

Fraser
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 05:34:26 pm by Fraser »

The following users thanked this post: Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 07:43:35 pm »
Well the ARGUS 3 I was after has been withdrawn from sale so the seller has saved me from myself  ;D

I shall have to source a good casing for my project ARGUS 3 elsewhere.

Well that is it..... no further purchases of thermal cameras from this point forward unless they are something very special indeed. I have said it here, on the forum, so it must be true  ;D

Fraser

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 09:15:32 pm »
Sorry. I just don't see it happening. Unless you're going broke seems like a pretty innocent hobby, so don't let us down, keeping buying!
VE7FM

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 09:41:57 pm »
TheSteve,

What you are actually saying is keep preventing others from being able to enter the world of budget thermal imaging or learning about thermal cameras through repairing them.

Not so harmless when you consider the supply of cheap thermal cameras is very limited in the UK.

Sometimes the time is right to either 'pull the plug' and walk away, or at least take action to reduce an addiction. An addiction, even if innocent, can become an obsession. That is not healthy.

I am making a conscious decision to stop buying common thermal cameras, I am not walking away from them completely. Just look at my thermal camera collection thread. It makes worrying reading ! I have an awful lot of cameras and no good reason for such numbers. I am not a Museum or even a camera dealer.

So I stick by my decision. It is time that others be given the chance to buy affordable thermal cameras in the UK. I have been the ever present phantom in the background of eBay, always watching and waiting to pounce on auctions containing obscurely titled, unusual, faulty or just low priced thermal cameras. I would not blame thermal camera enthusiasts in the UK for secretly hating me. Poor Chanc3 has missed out on several auctions due to my presence  :(

Fear not, I have plenty of thermal cameras awaiting repair so there is lots of interesting material to come from me in 2018  :)

Fraser
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:44:01 pm by Fraser »

The following users thanked this post: jpanhalt

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 03:55:36 am »
If there's one thing I know about addictions, it's that they never really go away, they might not come back in the same form but they're always there and often just 'morph' and express themselves in a different form

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 11:28:26 am »
I am fortunate enough to have many interests in my life. Thermal cameras are just one.

I am married to a wonderful wife, I am guardian to three of the friendliest cats you could wish to meet, I have a fully equipped electronics lab, I own and maintain one of the best condition Mini Moke's in the UK, I am entering into the fun world of 3D design and printing with my excellent UP! BOX printer (thanks to Toplosers kindness) and I have a massive inventory of equipment to sell.

I think I will have plenty to keep me occupied and distracted from my 'addiction'. You never know. I may become 'addicted' to selling stuff 😄

Fraser
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 02:26:57 pm by Fraser »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf