Author Topic: Problem my seek reveal pro ?  (Read 5717 times)

Offline betickTopic starter

Problem my seek reveal pro ?
« on: May 27, 2018, 08:41:01 am »
Hello to all. Yesterday I bought a seek reveal pro, but I think I have problems, if I use at home (first image, filter prism) I sell many dots, if I use out the window the image improves, the sensor has problems?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 08:45:27 am by betick »

Re: Problem my seek reveal pro ?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 10:40:02 am »
can anyone help me? I do not know whether to return the thermo camera to the seller [emoji22]

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 11:08:12 am »
A low thermal contrast scene combined with a relatively noisy microbolometer sensor equals noise on the image. In higher thermal contrast scenes the temperature span increases and the Microbolometers noise is concealed.

This looks like a typical SEEK thermal image to me.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 11:44:41 am »
thanks for the reply, so it is not a defect of my seek, but only a low quality sensor installed on cheap machines?

Offline carpin

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 12:12:13 pm »
NETD >75mK

Offline railrun

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 12:26:08 pm »
thanks for the reply, so it is not a defect of my seek, but only a low quality sensor installed on cheap machines?

Yes, you are right. But also my Flir E60+ gives a noisy picture when there is no high span/contrast.

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 02:05:11 pm »
thanks for the clarification, friend [emoji1320]

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 03:19:20 pm »
however I noticed that along with the noise, I see a mask with many colored fixed points (in the prism filter are red) As if in front of the lens there was a mask, is it normal?

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 10:10:40 pm »
Fixed pattern noise ...... normal

Fraser

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 10:12:52 pm »

The following users thanked this post: carpin

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 10:34:42 pm »
That particular thermal-palette is usually very noisy and certainly also on Seek pro to say the least (reveal & Compact pro).
If you need some examples on where this Seek pro 320x240sensor useally should  perform, I have put up some videos these last days, (just have in mind, this is with an focus-wheel hence compact pro IOS FF edition) and a focus wheel which are trumped internally on the reveals casing.
(all native, non thirdparty enhancement like lenses or encoding, but raw mediadata is attached)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJtb7oyUVo0CVfd0RQ5rsw/videos?view_
If you want an less noisy picture use one of the other palettes and use the square box-symbol in the app with non direct temperature readings and have items in the frame with some degree-seperation.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 10:40:33 pm by DaneLaw »

The following users thanked this post: carpin

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 06:34:53 am »
That particular thermal-palette is usually very noisy and certainly also on Seek pro to say the least (reveal & Compact pro).
If you need some examples on where this Seek pro 320x240sensor useally should  perform, I have put up some videos these last days, (just have in mind, this is with an focus-wheel hence compact pro IOS FF edition) and a focus wheel which are trumped internally on the reveals casing.
(all native, non thirdparty enhancement like lenses or encoding, but raw mediadata is attached)
If you want an less noisy picture use one of the other palettes and use the square box-symbol in the app with non direct temperature readings and have items in the frame with some degree-seperation.

thanks Jacob, in the videos I notice much less noise compared to my thermo camera, even indoors, how is it possible?

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 05:19:34 pm »
It varies a lot.
These videos are some of the more decent looking ones, and I certainly also have Seek Pro videos with way more noise, that I don't put up..
Here is an example of a plain hot soldering iron attached with a 3cell lipo XT60, and you can see how much the "noise" varies from one moment to the next, simply from different settings in the app I'm going thrue and on specific-temp-readout it maximise the nose quite massively.
https://youtu.be/9eOl9deTeDs
it does take some time and routine to sense which palette there is most ideal to which situation but Im not that familiar in regards to what settings in the reveal pro there are most optimal..

--

But this guy has made a great video of the Seek Reveal pro with numerous examples of what therm-result one can expect and the amount of noise..

« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 05:32:03 pm by DaneLaw »

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 06:31:13 pm »
thanks for the clarifications [emoji16]

Offline ThermallyFrigid

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 04:54:03 pm »
Betick,
It may be too late, but I have now had (or had access to) at least 4 SEEK Compact PRO units.

What I can tell you from hands on with multiple units is that there is a severe consistency problem with SEEK products.

For example, each unit I had (or had access to) was different.  Some produced images FAR sharper than others.  Some performed better where there was low temperature differential.   Some focused better up close.   Others were bad up close AND bad at a distance.   ALL were supposedly brand new units by the way.
One seemed to have some damage to the coating on the lens when viewed with a magnifying loupe.   Some would not focus at less than 12 inches.

On YouTube you can find videos where the images produced by a SEEK Compact PRO are just freaking stellar.   Those videos give you the impression that the cameras are really nice.   But what you will get is probably not going to be anywhere near that quality.   Those videos make me go "hmmmmm".

It seems to be luck of the draw.   My best guess is that SEEK gets a LOT of returns (this is suggested by their very slow response times for support)
My "opinion" is that  they take those returned units and do just what it takes to get them to some reasonable level of working again, then repackage them as "New" and sell them for a bit less.   So the unit you get can vary HUGE from the one your neighbor gets.

I'm thinking that if you buy directly from SEEK and pay their highest price direct form them, you will probably get what I would call a "Premium" unit.   All the other units available for less at ebay, Amazon etc are the "reconditioned" units with much less quality.  Pure opinion mind you.

The image you posted is awful.   Seriously.   On some of the SEEK Compact PROS the image was significantly better than what you posted both near and far and under the conditions you suggest.  I would not personally be happy with your results for that unit.   Believe me, some produce images that are FAR noisier than others.
I've had at least 2 that were as noisy as the image you posted.   Truthfully, they are not even usable sometimes because the image is so bad.
The same unit might be fine up close where there are some significant temperature differences over ambient air temps for example.

I've decided that SEEK products just aren's consistent enough to be viable at this point unless you're lust looking for a toy Thermal Camera basically.
(UNLESS, you buy directly from SEEK and pay full retail).  But since none of those I tested were directly from SEEK, I cannot even prove that would be the case.)
If you could go to SEEK and hand pick through a large selection of units you could probably get a good one.  But you can't.   You're at the mercy of chance and the odds are the 1st quality units are far and few in between.   I have a feeling the earlier units were of better quality and maybe they switched chips or suppliers to make more money for the  company.   I actually do not know and these are just guesses.

If you want quality Thermal imaging, I think you still have to spend at LEAST $2,000 USD
UNLESS, you totally luck out and happen to get one of the good units with a good lens, sensor and processor.
I haven't tried FLIR or the others.  Maybe I should.   More research needed.

Just my experience and opinion from have handled a number of them.

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 06:15:12 pm »
Betick,
It may be too late, but I have now had (or had access to) at least 4 SEEK Compact PRO units.

What I can tell you from hands on with multiple units is that there is a severe consistency problem with SEEK products.

For example, each unit I had (or had access to) was different.  Some produced images FAR sharper than others.  Some performed better where there was low temperature differential.   Some focused better up close.   Others were bad up close AND bad at a distance.   ALL were supposedly brand new units by the way.
One seemed to have some damage to the coating on the lens when viewed with a magnifying loupe.   Some would not focus at less than 12 inches.

On YouTube you can find videos where the images produced by a SEEK Compact PRO are just freaking stellar.   Those videos give you the impression that the cameras are really nice.   But what you will get is probably not going to be anywhere near that quality.   Those videos make me go "hmmmmm".

It seems to be luck of the draw.   My best guess is that SEEK gets a LOT of returns (this is suggested by their very slow response times for support)
My "opinion" is that  they take those returned units and do just what it takes to get them to some reasonable level of working again, then repackage them as "New" and sell them for a bit less.   So the unit you get can vary HUGE from the one your neighbor gets.

I'm thinking that if you buy directly from SEEK and pay their highest price direct form them, you will probably get what I would call a "Premium" unit.   All the other units available for less at ebay, Amazon etc are the "reconditioned" units with much less quality.  Pure opinion mind you.

The image you posted is awful.   Seriously.   On some of the SEEK Compact PROS the image was significantly better than what you posted both near and far and under the conditions you suggest.  I would not personally be happy with your results for that unit.   Believe me, some produce images that are FAR noisier than others.
I've had at least 2 that were as noisy as the image you posted.   Truthfully, they are not even usable sometimes because the image is so bad.
The same unit might be fine up close where there are some significant temperature differences over ambient air temps for example.

I've decided that SEEK products just aren's consistent enough to be viable at this point unless you're lust looking for a toy Thermal Camera basically.
(UNLESS, you buy directly from SEEK and pay full retail).  But since none of those I tested were directly from SEEK, I cannot even prove that would be the case.)
If you could go to SEEK and hand pick through a large selection of units you could probably get a good one.  But you can't.   You're at the mercy of chance and the odds are the 1st quality units are far and few in between.   I have a feeling the earlier units were of better quality and maybe they switched chips or suppliers to make more money for the  company.   I actually do not know and these are just guesses.

If you want quality Thermal imaging, I think you still have to spend at LEAST $2,000 USD
UNLESS, you totally luck out and happen to get one of the good units with a good lens, sensor and processor.
I haven't tried FLIR or the others.  Maybe I should.   More research needed.

Just my experience and opinion from have handled a number of them.

Didnt you state a few days ago that you had just purchased your new Seek pro and you where trying it out for first time and then dropped it from 5 feet onto concrete and it brooked and you have just shipped it back to Seek for an repair under warrenty or not..

Meanwhile, I sent it back to SEEK for repair.   Not sure if it'll be covered under warranty or not.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/brand-new-seek-thermal-compact-pro-slipped-from-my-fingers-gone/msg1596244/#new

Those videos give you the impression that the cameras are really nice.   But what you will get is probably not going to be anywhere near that quality.   Those videos make me go "hmmmmm".

All these clips on youtube, you are refering too (would help with some links) also have in mind that OP has the Seek pro Reveal with inbuild display and inclosed trumped focus wheel and as noted again and again' that palette who are displayed is useally very noisy.. OP can see above video' which are an review unit in regards to what to expect on the Reveal pro.

in that thread a few days ago you even state
So, being that I really need a Thermal camera and the SEEK is one of the few offering 320 x 240 res at the sensor, I'll have to try once more.https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/brand-new-seek-thermal-compact-pro-slipped-from-my-fingers-gone/msg1595047/#msg1595047

and here only a few days later after you stated you send your dropped SeekPro back to Seek for a repair' and likely waiting for that repair.. you have tried a handful and have comprehensive knowledge about "premium" units..

I haven't tried FLIR or the others.  Maybe I should, Just my experience and opinion from have handled a number of them.
When? all in these few days' since your message above under a week ago' where you stated you hadn't and would try it once more and therefore had sent your new purchased "dropped-unit" back to seek for a repair under "warranty or not" and sadly didn't got the chance to try really it out before the 5 feet concrete drop.

I would love to bash Seek, and make any conclusions about big and small, and not least so-called premium-units etc etc.. but we also need to do it on actual facts, not speculation or perhaps butthurt of fx one dropped unit from 5 feet onto concrete..
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 11:16:03 pm by DaneLaw »

Offline ThermallyFrigid

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2018, 02:48:42 pm »
Whew!  That was tedious!

I see you're the resident trouble maker.    :box:
I could take the time to go through a long explanation ....but I don't owe that.  Sry.
If you think it through, there's possible good explanations for all your inquiries.  I'll leave it to your imagination to figure out the mystery of how my explanation could be legit......

Or, if it makes you feel better, you can just think of me as a liar.  It's the internet.  I won't lose any sleep.  :)
In fact, I think you particulary should...and call it a day. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 02:52:54 pm by ThermallyFrigid »

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 01:16:27 pm »
Just back up your own claims that is all. (that should be a minimum)
-you go on and on about all your experience with many many Seek pro, and numerous accusations about so-called "premium units" and you then talking about many yt-videos there are not ordinary seek pro but premium special units, only obtainable from Seek themselves but all without even delivering some proofs..

And your own thread, just a few days ago stated the exact opposite, you have purchased 1x and dropped it from 5 feet onto concrete and it brooked and I asked you to send it back to seek particularly if you are in the US, and you now stated you did and waiting for a repair, and you where unsure if it was under warranty or not..

Anyway, as I noted you can bash Seek all you want, I'm not affiliated with them..but usually its not that useable for forums users if its down to butthurt or lies.. and certainly not for thread-starter as he doesn't have the Sek compact pro, but the self-contained Reveal pro with screen and trumped focus wheel..

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2018, 09:26:31 am »
I think the message behind this is simple. Seek may have quality control variances and if you got the chance to, go to a local store and test 3-4 units and take the best results you get. You can't do this by ordering online tho.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf