Author Topic: Radiometric Thermal Imaging with an SDK  (Read 2543 times)

Offline FratinkTopic starter

• Contributor
Radiometric Thermal Imaging with an SDK
« on: September 08, 2017, 08:11:38 pm »
Hello,

I'm writing some drivers for thermal cameras that we're planning on using for research and I'm noticing a lack of information from FLIR about what needs to be recorded.  I'm getting the raw image data, but it doesn't have any calibration information, or anything that would allow values on the image to be assigned a temperature.  Has anyone worked with capturing raw data from a thermal camera?  I'm curious about what information I have to grab from the camera in order to make sure the data is useful.

I'm using a FLIR SC645 Thermal Camera, BTW.

Cheers,

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: Radiometric Thermal Imaging with an SDK
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 08:41:19 pm »
Be aware that thermal cameras normally have two data output modes. RGB and Radiometric IR data.

In RGB mode the data is just the non Radiometric image that would normally appear on a display or viewfinder (if such is fitted). This mode cannot be used for radiometric analysis as it is purely RGB image video. In IR Data mode the data stream is the pure Radiometric data from the image processing stage. This is the data stream used for analytics.

FLIR's ResearcherIR provides a choice between which data is streamed to the PC and only IR-Data mode permits in depth analysis and manipulation of the data.

FLIR will normally provide an ICD document for a camera that details connectivity and the command set. It also details the structure of the data that is received from the camera. You may wish to contact FLIR to discuss your needs and see if they will help you. I cannot guarantee that such data is not part of a chargeable SDK package though.

ResearcherIR might be of interest to you, but it is expensive for individuals. Institutions and industry have deeper pockets.

Fraser
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 09:20:43 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 09:27:22 pm »
Hello Fraser,

Thanks for the info!  I just sent FLIR an email asking for the ICD.

We actually have the ResearcherIR software with the camera and the problem isn't money so much as the SDK I want doesn't exist.  Our research project is using Ubuntu as the operating system for all measurement instruments, so I need to make capture software that works on that platform.  The Pleora SDK that FLIR recommends for Linux doesn't appear to have any information on specific cameras (it's just a Genicam library), so I'm trying to figure this out on my own.  I checked that the camera is in Radiometric mode, but I want to make sure that I'm grabbing all the metadata that users of the images might need. 

Thanks!

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 10:01:16 pm »
Also this....

http://flir.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1229/related/1

With FLIR products you will find several camera families sharing the same comms protocols and ICD's. It is always worth looking at the ICD's and FAQ's for other models that have the same interfacing capabilities as you can often find what you need on the FLIR download and FAQ areas.

Fraser

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 10:53:43 pm »
Hello Fraser!

Those documents were incredibly helpful!  Thanks so much.  I think what I really wanted to do was to capture in temperature linear mode.  Apparently it is possible to calculate between Radiometric and Temperature Linear modes in post as well, but I'm not sure that I need to worry about that.

I think the only disapointment is that the deviceID is blank on my camera, so I can't ask for its serial number :(.  Would make selecting it from among other cameras easier.  Might just have to use the model number and hope that nobody buys another lol.

Thanks again!

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 11:56:02 pm »
It was a pleasure to help.

I regret I do not know about the camera ID situation. I would have expected multi camera setups to be common with this model of camera and so would expect either unique ID or a user configurable ID. It is drtainly odd to have no ID for unique identification of the camera. These cameras are literally filled with unique ID's on all of their component parts, including the lens! When you look at a cameras system information page you get a list of the serial number of the sensor and all PCB's within the camera. With such comprehensive audit of the camera parts identity, you would expect the whole camera to have one as well !

When accessing FLIR cameras I have often used either the IP address or the cameras unique network name. In the case of my A40 it is IRCAMxxxxx where xxxxx is the last five digits of the cameras serial number.

All the best with your project

Fraser

The following users thanked this post: Fratink

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf