Author Topic: Scope for my phone  (Read 2296 times)

Offline VipitisTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
Scope for my phone
« on: October 17, 2017, 06:55:02 pm »
It's me again.

You might think I am crazy and should just let go off the idea. But I am 18 now and able to contact some people on my own.

I reached out to TPLogic and wanted to know if their T12 scopes would work with my phone's Lepton.

My phone is a CAT S60. It has a 80x60 Lepton embedded, it is covered by a window/lens made of something I can't identify, my guess it something silicon based.

After a little conversation I got pictures of tiny unit that they use for their T12 Lepton based rifle scope imagers. It would work as an afocal adapter with a magnification of 3x or 4x. Given my 3D printer, I would desing and print a mounting solution myself.
I got a drawing now which I will use for my CAD work. I want to print a test piece to check the fov - which I am going to do either this evening or Thursday.

I will try to contact CAT and Bullit(they build the phone) again to get details on the phone size, and especially the type, size and material they used to cover the sensor.

I am posting here to get some feedback. I have only seen a single telephoto mod for the Lepton on a Flir One by Boris. There were several macro lenses made for seek thermal smartphone dongle and some crazy experiments with ultra close macro and even a telescope for ThermApp by Ultrapurple.

My questions are:

Is this going to work?
Why not?
Would it be cheaper to buy a ZnSe lens and build the entire scope myself?
Has anyone any experience while attempting something similar, that he or she would like to share?

I will attach a few of the pictures I got in a reply.

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Scope for my phone
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 07:09:32 pm »
one image

Offline abraxa

• Frequent Contributor
  • Sigrok associate
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 07:40:07 pm »
I suggest you change the word "scope" to "telescope" in the thread title. By nature of this forum, I thought "scope" meant "oscilloscope" because I didn't pay attention to the category you posted in :)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 07:51:46 pm »
well, a "telescope" is usually a term used in astronomy. Even though most of them just say scope.

My final goal is astrophotography(mainly Lunar Experiments).

I could write telephoto lens - but it isn't exactly telephoto as far as I understood it.

so "scope" in terms of a rifle scope it is. Because this is where the part originated from.

and a oscilloscope based on a phone would be quite uncommon.

Offline KNSSoftware

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 08:39:25 pm »
not wanting to add fuel a non-exisitent argument, but 'your scope' is still short for telescope/telescopic.  In an EE forum, oscilloscope will always be the default understanding for the word scope, and any other usage for 'scope' should probably be qualified at least once.  Since you can now get cheap nano oscilloscopes running out of an MP3 player enclosure these days, it will only be a matter of time.   Lets face it, with a USB type connector, probably quite doable to a crap level.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 11:28:40 pm »
Out of interest, what price is TPL asking for their Telescope adapter ?

If they place the telescope in front of the lepton as an auxiliary (supplementary) lens then you should be able to place it in front of the Lepton in your CAT phone. You need to check which FOV LEPTON they use with it in their products to ensure it will match into your Leptons FOV without vignetting. The auxiliary lens should be placed as close to the Leptons objective lens as possible to avoid vignetting.

The actual Lepton Lens is made from Silicon but I have not read what material was used for the protection window on the F1G2 or CAT phone. It could also be a thin silicon window or Chalcogenide IR glass. It does add some attenuation but hopefully it is not going to impair your auxiliary lens project.

Making your own telescope auxilliary lens is an option but it is quite involved and often not inexpensive as specific lenses need to be purchased and they are often not the commonly available cheap CO2 laser types found on ebay. Hence why I asked how much TPL are quoting for their lens assembly.

Fraser
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 11:32:08 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 02:30:12 am »
Hey Fraser,

TPL is asking 200$ for the adapter. I got a technical drawing with some measurements, which they are not sure about sharing. I will copy the model and print a mock-up the test the opening and fov.

From the CAT S60 datasheet(https://www.catphones.com/download/cat-s60-smartphone-user-manual-english/#) I found that the fov is 46°x35°(page 55/56). Which is quite high, I want to confirm that with some test as well.

To find out what window/lens they use to protect the Lepton in the phone (due to the ruggedness rating) I contacted CATphones support and they forwarded me to a repair center which I contacted with more direct questions.
I also contacted Bullit(they build the phone) and stated a similar request.

I haven't heard back yet; I will also sent flir an email, as they seem to be more open to data on those topics.

I found quite a few older threads here where people build their own auxiliary telescopes for smartphone dongle cameras like seek and flir one. With ThermApp having 35mm lenses made by them.

I want to compile a link list to threads and find all working examples. I think Boris is very successful, as he has several videos and pictures on building small multi lens Telescopes for flir one and seek.

It's like 4.30 right now and I need to sleep. I will follow up later with said links, and add any information if I get some.

Vipitis

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf