Author Topic: SeekThermal Compact Pro  (Read 36505 times)

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
Re: SeekThermal Compact Pro
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2016, 08:46:55 pm »
Nice, thanks!

Yeah the app is pretty terrible, really feels like it's been designed by marketing gurus à la GoPro to put more emphasis around fancy-looking modern stuff and the following/sharing craze than actual usability.

The "choose default app" popup is definitely not an "android problem" but an inability from them to handle that properly, I had the same problem with the old app on 2 phones when I had my Seek, and no other device I have that uses the same principle (including my Thermal Expert Q1) has that issue, it just asks once on first connection and then it's remembered, connecting the camera launches the app and detection works straight away.

The following users thanked this post: encryptededdy

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2016, 08:25:25 am »
So CompactPro in EU is 620€ + shipping: https://www.alzashop.com/seek-thermal-compactpro-for-android-d4435812.htm

IMHO way to much because you can get regular T.E. Q1 with shipping, taxes and import duties for approx 640€.

The following users thanked this post: encryptededdy

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2016, 10:43:35 am »
Yeah, 620 EUR is completely overpriced. There's literally no reason to buy the Seek CompactPro over the Thermal Expert.

Considering Seek is calling this a CompactPRO, that app is atrocious. In addition to the ugly user interface, it looks really slow and just generally painful to use.

I think instead of reinventing the wheel with the UI they need to take a look at how camera apps (especially ones with lots of settings) are designed and model their app off of them.

I think the same also applies to the FLIR One - while the apps are okay for first-time thermal camera users they need to realise that for anyone but the absolute beginner having only 3 options on the screen at once and burying all the other 10 options in a series of menus is not okay

I actually mocked up a UI back when I was looking into developing a Therm-App SDK app (unfortunately that never happened) that's based off the UI of real thermal cameras.

It's pretty obvious that once can fit many more options on the screen than what they're doing right now.

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2016, 10:56:57 am »
That would look pretty good on my LG G3:

If I had time I would go into making a better android app from TE Q1.... perhaps in a few months.

Offline AranLeer

« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2016, 07:20:37 pm »
I really appreciate in Mike's video that he did a side-by-side comparison of the Seek CompatPro with the older model Compact and FLIR One, But would it be possible to get a side-by-side comparison between Seek CompactPro and T.E. - Q1? I don't know if anyone on this blog could get access to both, but if so that would be a valuable point of comparison since they (at least the base model Q1) are the same price.

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2016, 08:52:20 am »
If somebody sends me CompactPro I can make a direct comparison... (I would return it of course)

Meanwhile you can compare photos here (CompactPro):
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/467570_Seek_thermal_compact_Pro.html
http://blog.ivytools.com/2016/08/11/seek-compact-pro-ff-image-gallery/

With photos here (TE Q1+):
https://imgur.com/a/e0mTC
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:22:37 pm by frenky »

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2016, 10:49:55 am »
Reveal Pro just announced for $700: http://www.thermal.com/products/revealpro/

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2016, 11:11:32 am »
Now that product makes sense. SEEK Thermal may have accessed an otherwise unserviced part of the market. A complete thermal viewer for $700. The E4 is close to that price now but requires 'hacking' which will not appeal to all.

The relatively small screen will also hide some of the noise in the image from the user.The Reveal series, like the original FLIR E2 (old E series) is a 'Thermal torch' and useful for security and trekking amongst other activities. I see this as the first SEEK Thermal product that has the potential to be a winner. The equivalent FLIR PS SCOUT series unit is more expensive and has no image saving capability.

I hope this is a winner for SEEK.

Fraser
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 09:33:09 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

The following users thanked this post: encryptededdy, Kilrah

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2016, 02:01:04 am »
This also alleviates the problem with needing a phone with sufficient performance to process the images at >15Hz. I assume the dedicated hardware in the Reveal Pro will maintain a fast frame rate easily.

I agree with Fraser on this one, however with just 3 buttons (no D-pad) and no touchscreen to control it, Seek will have to have done a really good job with the UI to make a UI with all of the advanced features accessible without digging through layers and layers of menus.

Seek needs to realise that quite a few buyers of the Reveal *Pro* will demand access to more features like span locking, max/min, emissivity adjustment etc. without having to dig through layers upon layers of menus.

Unfortunately judging from their mobile app I don't have high hopes for their UX design...

I think they would've been much better off adding a D-pad or a touchscreen to this device.

Offline jetdail

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2017, 02:16:16 pm »
new apk for compact pro ... they have improve the frame-rate (for a moto z at least reaching 18Hz) .much smoother image .less shutter clic ( wait for 2 or 3 minutes before it stabilize ).the apk as inflate from 10 to 45 meg(what the hell did they put in ? possible reason = when you "set simulation mode " instead of crashing your android phone  you now have a creepy video file playing and can access radiometric data storing but i don't know how to manipulate that  ) .hidden mode "preferences" doesn't show the possibility to store radiometric data when your real camera is attached  , it neither wasn't working  in the previous version ... after all some good improvements but still no possibility to explore radiometric data as they claim in they advertisements  ( the reason why i bought this )...really hungry of felling played like a fool even if i think that camera could be satisfying with all the possibilities been released ( trying my best English, sorry for that )  ..
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 02:26:34 pm by jetdail »

Offline methael

• Physics student at york university
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2017, 08:05:59 pm »
Is there a way to use the seek thermal compact pro on a computer?

Offline joe-c

• Frequent Contributor
    • Joe-c.de
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2017, 07:00:26 pm »
I have no pro version.

but i know somebody who have.
i know the PID is not the same:
0x0010 (Compact + XR / Android or iPhone)
0x0011 (Seek Pro)

i tried to modify my code with resolution 320x240 and the other PID.
the Connection to the camera could be established, but the frames was not delivered.

I guess the Pro version will use another startup Byte sequence.
Freeware Thermal Analysis Software: ThermoVision_Joe-C
Some Thermal cameras: Kameras

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2017, 03:11:17 am »
That's pretty damn impressive for the size - if only they supported USB type C!

USB C plugs do not fit in USB Micro sockets. It would have been a bad business move for them to use a completely new type of plug, that works in only about 1% of the phones that people own. USB Micro works in 99% of the phones that people own, including my own, so it's a good thing that they didn't switch over to using USB C, or I wouldn't be able to use the device on my phone.  And I do plan on buying a Seek Compact Pro within the next month.

Offline Undweeber

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2018, 07:28:30 pm »
iPhones have the hardest working horse of a mobile CPU, don't they render better?
proof - old iPhone 5S, considering iPhone 6S outperforms Galaxy S8, you are better off with any iPhone driving this thing

« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 07:38:19 pm by Undweeber »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf