Author Topic: So what is the actual resolution of FLIR One Pro?  (Read 6759 times)

Offline Ben321Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
So what is the actual resolution of FLIR One Pro?
« on: June 08, 2017, 05:41:29 am »
I see they are re-releasing the FLIR One, but are now also releasing FLIR One Pro. I notice on the page for FLIR One Pro it says:
With a 4x improvement in thermal resolution, and VividIRâ„¢ image processing, FLIR ONE Pro gives you the ability to see more detail, measure smaller components from farther away, and work more safely around energized equipment.

So does that 4x improvement for the Pro, indicate 4x improvement over the current FLIR One (with the pro having a resolution of 320x240)? Or does it mean a 4x improvement over the re-released FLIR One (which now has actually a reduced resolution of 80x60). I notice that the specs for FLIR One Pro state it has 160x120 resolution, so if it's actually a 4x improvement over the current FLIR One (resolution of 320x240) then that means that the Pro actually is better than the official spec for its resolution (160x120). And in a way, this would make sense, since their competitor Seek has a Pro version of their camera, and the Seek Pro actually does have a 320x240 resolution (so it would make sense that if FLIR is competing with Seek, that they would try to at least match Seek's devices in their specs). However with the FLIR One re-release being downgraded (80x60 resolution, same as the old iPhone-case FLIR One), I'm afraid that the 4x improvement talked about with the FLIR One Pro may simply mean a 4x improvement over the re-released FLIR One (meaning that the FLIR One Pro's thermal resolution is the same as the current version of the FLIR One, at 160x120).

Anybody here have some insight into this? Maybe if somebody here on the forum works at FLIR, they can provide more info.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: So what is the actual resolution of FLIR One Pro?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 09:11:41 am »
FLIR ONE Gen 3 Standard - LEPTON 2 80 x 60 pixels

FLIR ONE Gen 3 PRO - LEPTON 3 160 x 120 pixels

PRO therefore has four times (4X) the number of pixels as the Standard model Gen 3

There is currently no LEPTON available with 320 x 240 pixels. It hits its limit at 160 x 120 due to the silicon lens design and associated lens resolution.

FLIR use the MSX overlay to improve the context of the displayed image and counter the higher resolution of the Seek products. the SEEK products all suffer from higher noise levels in their images which does tend to counter their higher number of pixels. It is not just about the number of pixels, it is also about how you process the data coming from the ROIC. The FLIR One products images do suffer somewhat due to the silicon diffraction lens that is relatively low on resolution and high on distortion (13% at the corners).

Be aware that FLIR are past masters of marketing and often release headline specs that need a little 'analysis' to understand them. The much mentioned MSX only adds context to an image, it cannot actually increase the thermal resolution. I t is all about tricking the brain and marketing strategies  :D

I know many examples of FLIR's marketing 'strategies' but they are privileged information. They do not 'lie' but sometimes the truth is quite well hidden or obscured. Often the spec is better than advertised but marketing play 'games' with the consumer.

Fraser
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 09:28:44 am by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 09:38:18 am »
aren't those the ones where you could hack the firmware to get higher resolution? Didn't I see that on bigclivedotcom where he mentioned that?

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 09:46:08 am »
No, I am not talking about the Ex series  ;)

Huge hint ... there is no such thing as a 240 x 180 TAU core.

Fraser

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 09:51:33 am »
well I don't know shit about ir cameras, so I shouldn't talk, especially after hitting the bottle...  LOL carry on...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf