Author Topic: The Flir E30 and E40 family - sorting out which versions are hackable  (Read 4972 times)

Offline cvancTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hi all-

Thinking of picking up one of the E40 models but want to ensure I get one that is unlockable.  As I understand it, the more recent versions are locked down to prevent this, so I need to be looking for an older one, correct?

My question, in brief, is how do I know for sure which ones can be hacked?  I'm gonna share what I *think* is the correct info, someone please correct me if I get any of this wrong.

1) There is a difference in the keypad design, if I understand correctly this is a useful clue (old keypad versions are hackable, new are not?).

Old version (hackable)

New version (not hackable)

2) There is the whole 'BX' vs. 'non-BX' thing.  I'm not really sure what BX signifies in terms of new features, but (if I have this right) the non-BX version is unlockable and the BX version is not?

3) Is there anything else I should know here?  For instance, does serial number or production date help sort out the modifiable from the not?

Thanks for any clarity you can offer.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 10:43:31 pm by cvanc »

The following users thanked this post: nikitasius

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: The Flir E40 family - sorting out which versions are hackable
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 04:14:44 pm »
You have your pictures swapped. The unit with the individual navigation keys is the earlier pre 2013 model. The Solid D pad is the post 2013 model.

Both are are to be upgraded to E60 specification in terms of resolution and menu's . The E30 models can also be upgraded but some do not have the wireless hardware fitted and very early ones have the camera and LED torch covered. The camera and torch can be used if the plastic in front of them is cut away.

The post 2013 MK2 cameras do not have the service menu present as FLIR deliberately removed it from the build. This only matters if you want to do your own dead pixel map and calibration updates etc. I bought the MK1 camera as I wanted the service menu.

There is a thread dedicated to upgrading the later model of E40 and there is detail of how to upgrade the early model within the E4 teardown thread.

ThecBX model is intended for building surveys and has a limited maximum temperature coverage. It also has building thermography menu features not normally found on the standard model. These features, and many more, may be enabled in the configuration file of any Exx series camera. There are many useful menu options that may be enabled during the upgrade so the final configuration exceeds that found on an E60

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 10:14:42 pm »
Many thanks for your input, Fraser.  It's much appreciated.  I remain unclear about this, so please let me try again.  Please let me know what I've got wrong here...

Early version (pre-2013, hackable to E60 resolution/menus)

Later version (post-2013, also hackable to E60 resolution/menus)

*ALL* vintages of E30 & E40 can be hacked to E60 resolution/menus, but post-2013 versions will never have the service menus.

'BX' notation has added features for building surveys and a limited temp range.  BX features can be unlocked and added to any E30/E40.  Existence or absence of 'BX' in the model number does not affect ability to be unlocked.

In other words, *ALL* vintages of E30, E30bx, E40, and E40bx can be hacked to E60 resolution/menus, but post-2013 versions will never have the service menus.

Am I getting closer?  And thank you again.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 10:31:02 pm by cvanc »

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 10:27:15 pm »
Correct :)

The only other issue is the wireless connectivity. The E30 does not normally come with Wireless connectivity so FLIR did not fit the Wireless module that contains both Wi-Fi & Bluetooth. Some E30 models did leave the factory with the Wireless module fitted though. AFAIK there is no simple way to know if a particular E30 contains the Wireless module.

Officially the BX cameras are temperature limited but at least one forum member reported that his BX model, after the E60 upgrade, had both temperature ranges available and they were accurate.

Fraser

• Frequent Contributor
Re: The Flir E30 and E40 family - sorting out which versions are hackable
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 10:47:23 pm »
Thanks again Fraser.  I've changed my thread title to reflect adding the E30 series into the conversation.

One more question:  Primary use(s) for the wireless links?  I can think of a couple...

(Bluetooth) Showing your client images on your (or their) cell phone
(WiFi) Getting pics & movies into your PC easier, for sharing or editing into reports

...If you don't have this capability, how do you get images & movies out of the camera?  Is there a removable memory card?

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 01:19:31 am »
The Exx series use a removeable SD card but data download may be done via the USB port and cable. The images may be downloaded by simple file transfer into a PC or using the FLIRTools software.

I do not need Wireless connectivity, but it is nice to have it just in case Inever want to link to a tablet for a larger display.

Fraser

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 05:38:04 pm »
The post 2013 models also have different hardware that allows for MSX, whereas the older version does not. It cannot be enabled at all on older models.

Offline eg14

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 04:51:25 am »
I have a hacked E30bx that I'm trying to sell if you're interested. It has wifi and Bluetooth built in.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 04:53:56 pm »
The post 2013 models also have different hardware that allows for MSX, whereas the older version does not. It cannot be enabled at all on older models.

Hi, I just want to confirm that this is in fact the case?

In other words, the ONLY differences between older Exx (5-section keypad) and newer Exx (single-section keypad) are:

1- Only older Exx have service menus
2- Only newer Exx have MSX
3- Not all E3x have the WiFi/Bluetooth module.  All E4x do have it.
4- Regardless of these variations, ALL flavors of Exx can be hacked to E60 performance and menus

...Am I finally there?  Have I mapped this out fully?  And thank you again for all the valuable input.

Offline BOGET

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 02:27:23 pm »

Hi, I just want to confirm that this is in fact the case?

In other words, the ONLY differences between older Exx (5-section keypad) and newer Exx (single-section keypad) are:

1- Only older Exx have service menus
2- Only newer Exx have MSX
3- Not all E3x have the WiFi/Bluetooth module.  All E4x do have it.
4- Regardless of these variations, ALL flavors of Exx can be hacked to E60 performance and menus

...Am I finally there?  Have I mapped this out fully?  And thank you again for all the valuable input.

On Exx(490xxx), you can use the existing hack packet resources immediately,

but it doesn't mean that the newer version (645xxx) can't be hacked,

I think you can follow the E4 hack steps and modify a couple things to try it.

In my case, my E30(490xxx) has wifi module(bluetooth can't be searched), no MSX,

but you can choose the "Fusion" mode, it'll save visual/IR photo at same time.

and you can edit it with MSX on Flir tools later.

In my opinion, I think the only difference on E30 is limited Temp range, it only up to 350 degreeC.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 02:34:55 pm by BOGET »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf