Author Topic: Theory of Flir E4 hack  (Read 2116 times)

Offline JaneTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Theory of Flir E4 hack
« on: November 26, 2018, 06:41:21 pm »
My understanding of resolution hack of Flir E4 (changing to 320 x 240 resolution ) is
 that common_dll.dll and conf.cfc files
must be  replaced with new/modified common_dll.dll and conf.cfc files . How do these new files differ from those default files?

I followed tutorial at https://fubar.gr/hacking-the-flir-e4/
but when trying to modify files with
 python apply.py apply 192.168.0.2
I received  the following error

= CONNECT TO FTP
= CREATING BACKUP DIR backup-20180509022127
= RETR /FlashBFS/system/common_dll.dll
raceback (most recent call last):
 File "apply.py", line 90, in <module>
   assert found, "UNKNOWN %s: digest/len is %s" % (name, h)
ssertionError: UNKNOWN common_dll.dll: digest/len is 75b37c3c755409cc355d2875eadfa128f8e6e27a1b2adf92273656a20ceb5037

Can anyone explain?
Thank you

Offline waelbh

Re: Theory of Flir E4 hack
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 01:32:30 pm »
hello
what happened to ur cam , did u performed the hack or no?
best regards

Offline tmbinc

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Theory of Flir E4 hack
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 07:41:10 pm »
I'm not sure if you want to understand the theory behind the hack, or just figure out a way to make this work. In case of the former:

The CFC file contains the feature limitations (resolution, noise, some menu enablements). But the file is signed so it can't be modified (unlike earlier version's CFC files which just had a CRC).

common_dll.dll contains the code to validate the signature. However, common_dll.dll is hash-checked at boot, and the software doesn't autostart if the hash doesn't match. So removing the signature check from common_dll.dll must be done without affecting the computed SHA digest.

Is that possible?

In theory, this would require a hash collision between the original common_dll.dll and the patched common_dll.dll. But in practice, FLIR can't code and messed up their hash; it uses signed chars when shifting the input bytes to words. This means that under certain circumstances, the sign bit (which is repeated on right-shifts for signed chars) is masking the data, which allows this data to be modified without the hash being affected. By "cleverly" (meaning: took ~10 minutes) searching a location which a.) removes the CFC signature check and b.) doesn't affect the common_dll.dll hash, it was possible to modify the firmware to enable higher resolution etc.

In your case, the hack version doesn't understand the firmware version on the device. Which version do you have installed on the cam?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf