Author Topic: Thermal Camera 'Teardown' - The SATIR MinIR80 - By fraser  (Read 6052 times)

Offline FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Thermal Camera 'Teardown' - The SATIR MinIR80 - By fraser
« on: December 27, 2016, 10:27:01 pm »

Disassembly of the SATIR MinIR80 thermal camera

The MinIR80 is the entry level model in the SATIR E8 range of cameras. As such it has a resolution of 80x60 pixels and no visible light camera. It also comes without the docking station that is provided with the other models.

The docking station connects to the Molex 'Handylink" connector at the base of the handle. This port provides power input, video output and USB communications to the camera. The basic MiniIR80 model comes with an external battery charger and an SD card reader for accessing stored images on the cameras SD card.

The battery used in the camera is a common Sony Li-Ion pack available cheaply on line.

With only 80x60 pixels this camera is never going to provide detailed images and the lack of any visible light camera makes the context of the provided images challenging in some situations. On a positive note, the camera is fitted with a large manual focus lens that is removable. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the provided lens and expected something far smaller. More on that later.

The SATIR E8 series can be found under other brand names, TROTEC and UNI-T being just two that I have seen.

Why did I buy such a low resolution camera ? Pure curiosity. I suspected that the whole Satir E8 series of cameras share the same PCB's and microbolometer with only 'bolt-on' part differences and software configuration setting the specification. This would be similar to the situation with the FLIR Ex series of cameras, if it were found to be true.

A word on these Chinese thermal cameras. The Chinese are excellent at taking a proven design and reproducing it at a lower cost in order to make such equipment more affordable and profitable for themselves. Thermal cameras are little different except for the microbolometer sensor FPA. SATIR and other similar Chinese thermal camera manufacturers look at the West's thermal camera designs and seek to emulate such using basic development and design data. The exterior of the Chinese cameras may look similar to say a FLIR model, but internally there is little, or no similarity.

OK , back to the SATIR MinIR80 disassembly.

I took an X-Ray image of the camera to establish the location of all case screws and any clips. Only screws were present and all but two were either visible or just covered with a rubber cap. The two hidden screws are located under the MinIR badge in the top of the camera. The case cannot be opened without removing the hidden screws.
To remove the badge, just warm it with a hair dryer and gently lift it away with a scalpel under one corner. The adhesive stays intact on the badge, ready for re-application.

Once all of the case screws have been removed the case may be disassembled without trouble. The top panel holding the keypad first, then front laser cover followed by the lens and finally the two side halves may be parted.

Inside the MinIR I found a pretty nicely built camera that appears to follow the design of development boards that I am aware of. The PCB's have empty chip locations as the models with greater capabilities contain a visible light camera etc.

The microbolometer is not Chinese in origin. It is a ULIS part from France. More precisely, it is a ULIS Nano-160P UL002152-020. This is the first Generation of the UL0215 FPA. I am fortunate enough to have the full datasheet for this particular microbolometer so can identify all pins and signal requirements.

Now an interesting fact. The UL0215 is a 160x120 pixel microbolometer that is configured through a serial port. It offers windowing to set the resolution to 80x60 pixels and this is what Satir have used to limit the resolution of the MinIR80. Only the central portion of the microbolometer is being fed to the main board electronics. I already suspected this to be the case as I stated. The FOV of the MinIR80 is half of that found on the 160x120 top of the range E8 model. That immediately suggested that the same microbolometer and lens could be in use across the range.  However, ULIS do make a Micro80p microbolometer that could have been used in the MinIR80 and that has only 80x60 25um pixels so would have produced the same effect of half the FOV.  I got lucky with this camera.

If you look at the pictures of the microbolometer sensor PCB you will see that the designer has annotated the important pins around the Nano-160P and this aids investigation of the signals. I am fortunate to know what each pin does and the signal that should be present. I also know the ULIS proprietary command format to set up the microbolometer ROIC via its serial input pin. I will include some interesting pictures from the ULIS datasheet that may be of interest to some readers. I cannot post the whole datasheet as it is not for public distribution. 

The MinIR80 is basically as I expected, a simple development platform design that has been translated into  complete camera with Microbolometer windowing to limit its resolution and some parts not fitted that are only needed on higher spec units in the range. She works but is nowhere near as polished a product as my other cameras.

I have had contact with Satir (UK) in the hope of getting the pin-out for the docking connector and save myself some investigation. The chap I dealt with looked promising as he is Ex NEC Avio (UK) and I got on well with them in the past. Sadly this was not the case. Satir (UK) would not help me. I asked to buy a docking unit and they flat ignored me.... not great customer support. I will provide the docking port pin-out as part of this tread. Satir (UK) did offer to sell me a 'custom' video output cable that one of their techs uses to test cameras.  It was an abomination made using a Molex connector and a piece of RG58U coax... it looked a real mess. It did prove that the MinIR80 is capable of video output though.

OK on with the pictures.

Fraser
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 11:15:19 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Super Contributor
Re: Thermal Camera 'Teardown' - The SATIR MinIR80 - By fraser
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 10:30:12 pm »
External pictures.....

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 10:31:20 pm »
Pictures....

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 10:32:41 pm »
Disassembly begins......

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 10:36:03 pm »
Disassembly continued.....

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 10:37:17 pm »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 10:38:41 pm »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 10:39:43 pm »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 10:42:56 pm »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 10:47:17 pm »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 10:48:19 pm »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 10:55:13 pm »
OK, that is the pictures done. Now for some extracts from the ULIS datasheet for the Microbolometer.

As I stated, I cannot upload the whole technical datesheet as it contains proprietary information that I am not authorised to share.

The bits I have extracted will make some sense to those familiar with microbolometers. I had not worked with the signals found on a microbolometer sensor until recently when fault finding on one. There are supplies, timing signals and biases to be understood. the more modern ULIS microbolometers create their own biases internally to simplify use.

The Nano-160P can operate in  TEC/Non TEC mode and FFC shutter/No FFC shutter mode. It is very adaptable.

Fraser
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 11:05:44 pm by Fraser »

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2016, 10:55:31 pm »
Amazed they used such a big expensive FPGA - any clues in the datasheet why they'd need this, rather than using a pokey ARM processor?
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 11:04:41 pm »
Mike,

I think the reason is that it is just a reworking of a development board !

For your delight and delectation I attach the schematic diagrams of such a development board for a ULIS microbolometer. It is not marked proprietary so I can share it  :)

Fraser

The following users thanked this post: ArsenioDev

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 07:16:53 pm »
That would explain the odd nomenclature of 'C50a, C50b, C50c' all in parallel !

Any sign of a video ADC, or are they using the ULIS internal one ?

regards
Bill

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2016, 08:56:23 pm »
Here is a list of the main chips used in the camera......

LT1461 Voltage Reference
AD780 Precision Voltage Reference
AD9240 14 bit ADC
ADM101E RS232 transceiver
ADN8830 TEC controller
ADV7179 PAL/NTSC encoder
Atmel 25DF321A 32Mb Flash
M25P80 8M Flash Qty 2
DS1337 RTC
DS1631 Thermometer/Thermostat
LP2985 LDO
LT1461 Voltage Reference
LT1765 Switching Regulator
LT3474 LED Driver
LTC3633 Regulator
MAX1758 Li-Ion Charger controller
P89LPC922 80C51 8bit microcontroller
TLC5628 8bit DAC
TVP5150 PAL/NTSC Decoder
W79E632 8bit microcontroller
XC3S1000 Spartan 3 FPGA
XCf04 FPGA PROM

The AD9240 is the ADC for the ULIS microbolometer sensor.
The TLV5628 is the multi DAC for the sensor biases

Fraser

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2016, 09:28:10 pm »
ADM101E RS232 transceiver
RS232....? seriously?
ADV7179 PAL/NTSC encoder
Does it have composite out ?
TVP5150 PAL/NTSC Decoder
WTF is that doing there?
XCf04 FPGA PROM
They already have a load of flash, yet they pay out for a Xilinx special PROM when a cheap serial flash would do.

Sounds like a bit of a dog's breakfast cobbled together by someone who didn't care what it cost
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2016, 09:46:52 pm »
Hi Mike,

Yes the camera has a composite video output.

I was also surprised to see a PAL/NTSC decoder in the design. No idea why it is there at the moment. There is also an LED driver, yet no LED is present in this model.

The unit does not have the appearance of a cost cut design. as stated, it looks more like a Application Note or development board design that has been turned into a camera. There are plenty of branded chips including AD and lots of LT stuff in addition to the expensive FPGA. It does rather look like someone just threw a load of chips at the design, well beyond what I would have expected of a Chinese design. There are loads of LT and AD voltage regulators and voltage references alone ! Then there are the two microcontrollers and a flipin great FPGA !  :o

These cameras are actually pretty expensive new so maybe the profit margin was still acceptable ?

The RS232 output is converted to USB inside the Docking Station. The unit design is circa 2007 and maybe RS232 was still considered acceptable I/O on a camera then ? Funnily enough I prefer RS232 I/O as I can build RS232 remote controls and operate wireless RS232 links to such cameras. USB is a PITA if you want a wireless link for control.

Somewhere in the FLASH memory will be the command to window the sensor from 160x120 down to 80x60. I could pursue removing that command but that will be project for another day, if at all. 

Fraser
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 02:14:23 am by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2016, 10:04:28 pm »
Time to put the MinIR80 camera back together.

Not sure what I will do with it. 80x60 pixels falls below my minimum usable resolution for most tasks that I have for a thermal camera.

Fraser

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2016, 10:13:33 pm »
The other real wierdo on the list is a TEC controller.  There is no TEC in the sensor, it is heater only for which an op amp and a bipolar transistor would work admirably..... ;) ;)

Also agree with Mike about the parts choice, and especially not leaving irrelevant parts off. 

Does the LED driver drive a missing LED connection, or is it just the LCD backlight ?

I'd guess that the video decoder was part of the original design that could put on a visible overlay ?

How close is it to the French dev board ? 
Otherwise one copy option is that ISG had a China build setup with ULIS sensors that was 'reimagined' at Wuhan Guide Infrared.

regards
Bill

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2016, 10:36:24 pm »
Thanks Bil,

I forgot that the LCD display needs an LED driver.

Another point to note is the design of the microbolometer PCB. The Microbolometer sensor is soldered to an intermediary PCB that is in turn soldered to the sensor PCB. It is almost as though the designer wanted to make the sensor PCB such that different microbolometer sensors could be used with it via the necessary intermediary adapter PCB.

I will take a look at the french evaluation board to see how similar it is to the SATIR offering.

Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2016, 11:25:47 pm »
OK,

The SATIR MinIR80/E8 does not have much in common with the French evaluation schematics.

The LED driver is indeed the variable brightness driver for the LCD backlight. Good spot Bill  :-+

The PAL/NTSC decoder appears to be for a visible light camera that is not fitted to this model.  They used a composite video output camera rather than digital output ? The camera connector is not fitted so I wonder why the decoder and associated parts are fitted ?  I did not that various cable loom sockets are hand soldered. Maybe the PCB's in the E8 series are built to a spec and only the required sockets and 'bolt-on' parts are fitted at assembly ?  There is still the matter of the missing IC's on the PCB's though.Such would suggest that the the OEM had the option to not populate parts of the PCB that were not needed fora particular model.

Fraser

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2016, 11:43:53 pm »
The sensor mounting is certainly odd.  I do not see it as helping with a different sensor as there is no pin translation and I doubt there is a pin compatible sensor that is not totally compatible.  I'd understand the pair could be compatible with other similar sensors.

Perhaps the larger board was designed to have a socket on it for the sensor and the intermediate board is just a spacer and there were mechanical issues, ie the socket did not work out for some reason ?

Bill

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2016, 12:35:29 am »
Well I found that an interesting little disassembly of a Chinese thermal camera.

Nothing new or novel found in its design. As already stated, it looks very much like a reworked development board. The user interface is nothing special either. On the version that contains a visible light camera you have to switch between IR and VL before saving the image and the images have no correlation with each other in the file name as random file names are applied ! Most odd. There is also no VL and IR image merge capability.

This is a basic camera with just the essentials and they are not getting the best image possible out of the ULIS sensor, that is for sure. A thermal camera needs decent hardware and software to perform well. Whilst the hardware is OK in this camera, the software and associated image processing leaves something to be desired. No surprises there though if this was basically a re-engineered development platform.

On the hardware build quality front, the components used appear decent enough. The SMT soldering is acceptable, but the hand soldering is pretty rough. This is common on Chinese kit in my experience.

Now onto my next thermal camera project. That one will not be appearing on this forum though.

Fraser
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 02:12:02 am by Fraser »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf