Author Topic: Thermal camera imaging defect  (Read 1800 times)

Offline masterx81Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Thermal camera imaging defect
« on: December 22, 2021, 07:35:14 pm »
Hi!
I own a Laser Tool 6515 thermal camera
https://www.lasertools.co.uk/Product/6515/Thermal-Camera-with-UV-Leak-Detector
that is identical to the KS Tools 150.3220 thermal camera
https://www.kstools.com/en/products/special-tools-for-commercial-vehicle/general-workshop-requirements/optical-test-device/10991/thermal-imaging-camera-with-uv-light

The camera works ok, but the ir image have half of the screen with a sensitivity different from the other half  :palm:.
I attach an image showing the problem.
The top half of the captured image is a little more sensitive.
It's out of warranty, i've already opened it searching for something strange, trimmers, etc, not showing anything. I can take pictures also of the inside.
The problem is quite annoying, as i can use only half of the screen for sensitive measurement. The offset is only 1 or 2°c, but enough for change the colors.

Someone that know how works the ir detectors, have a clue on what sort of problem can be?

Thanks!

Offline bap2703

• Regular Contributor
Re: Thermal camera imaging defect
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 08:06:12 pm »
If the transition isn't "pixel sharp" it could be the shutter flag somehow got stuck halfway at some point.
Either once at factory calibration and then you get bad prerecorded correction tables.
Or it's always getting stuck during operation --> there you might fix it mechanically.

I can't really imagine a chip with a power rail coming from strictly different pads for each half, so I don't think it would be that.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 08:09:42 pm »
The transition is exactly at half, at a pixel precision... the sensor not have any physical shutter, or any other object in front. I'm quite  curious to know what can be.

---EDIT---

Actually, i need to correct myself. With a better inspection of the raw bmp saved image, i've the impression that the ccd camera and the infrared camera images are mixed in an analog way, so it's not exactly "split pixel". Need to check all the ic's on the boards to verify this.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 09:01:10 pm by masterx81 »

Offline Rocker123

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2021, 12:48:11 pm »
Hi,

Sorry to jump on this thread but i had a question about this camera plus some others

there are many brands which have the camera:

SEFRAM Thermal camera 9830
Martindale IRC325 Spot Thermal Camera
FLEX TG301
EazyIR
Laser Tool 6515
Amprobe IRC-120
RS PRO TG301
KS Tools 150.3220

i have the RS PRO TG301.

The biggest different one i can see is the Amprobe IRC-120 which has "Infrared heat map image blending at 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100%"

so my question is did you manage to get a firmware update on your Laser Tool 6515?

i have been searching for days now to find something but i cant. just wondering if you did.

would it be possible to port the Amprobe firmware?

Thanks
Rocker

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2021, 01:43:17 pm »
I've sent few mails about the camera to laser tools, never got an answer  :-//

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf