Author Topic: Thermal Imaging Gallery  (Read 115066 times)

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
Re: Thermal Imaging Gallery
« Reply #175 on: May 11, 2018, 08:42:00 am »
It is the very same image, just different rendering techniques. I will try to make manually apply my custom palette with panit.net later today and show me results so we can compare directly.

Offline Dark Volter

• Contributor
« Reply #176 on: May 12, 2018, 03:12:15 am »
I agree with Vipitis (and thank you for your kind words).

Most of my cameras are not intended for precision thermography, which makes them much more affordable. But resolution and lens choice are vital.

You can get good results with a 320 x 240 or 384 x 288 sensor, which is roughly the same as a VHS video tape (remember them?), which the market considered acceptable for moving images for years. Using superresolution (shaky hand) techniques can improve on the effective resolution by up to about a factor of 1.5 or 2; multiple exposures (pan and scan) can give you extremely high resolution of a fixed subject, provided your lens is capable of breaking the subject down into small chunks. Think in terms of visible-light gigapixel photos made with a camera on maximum zoom.

Higher resolution sensors can give sharper results. The 640 x 480 class is very nice, although if I could afford it I would definitely buy an XGA (1024 x 768) or SXGA (1280 x 1024) sensor. I'm hoping that the new generation of sensors from China may make this possible in the next several years.

The right lens - or interchangeable lenses - make a difference, too. Wide- or narrow-angle lenses need to be chosen to suit the subject. I would love to have one of the 25-250mm (class) motorised zoom lenses that are out there, but they remain well beyond my pocket. For general looking around a short focal length (eg 6.8mm) works fine but for detailed work a longer focal length is very useful. Also, if you have more than one lens you can combine them for microscopy and similar work.

Most of the time I find I do my thermal work in black and white, although I have managed some pleasing images in false colour. Vipitis is right, that one can do a lot in post-processing if you choose. I tend to use ThermViewer with my Therm-App cameras, because (a) it gives decent results and (b) outputs a data file of the actual values of each pixel. I haven't started using these files yet but I figure they're a kind of insurance: I have rescued several visible light photos courtesy of the RAW files, and I suspect I will have the same latitude in the future with the thermal equivalent.

Frame rate is an interesting concern. I find it much easier, and quicker, to focus my 25Hz Therm-App cameras than their 9Hz brothers. Trying to maintain good focus on a moving object is quite difficult with a 9Hz frame rate.

That leads me on to focus. If you are considering using a thermal camera for 'photographic' purposes then adjustable focus is a must, which narrows the choice of devices. Any number of thermal images that would be very attractive are, in my opinion, ruined by the poor focus - either due to the limitations of the device, or because the operator didn't really understand what they were doing. Despite the remarkable things that one can do with software, sharpness really cannot be dialed-in in post!

Cost of hardware is the big stumbling block for most people, me included. I would recommend putting money into the best sensor you can buy, along with a single middle-range lens, with the idea of getting more lens options later. The smartphone 'dongle' thermal cameras generally offer good value for money, but don't have quite the same performance as the research-grade imagers. For 'photographic' use I would usually choose more pixels over accurate thermography - but at the same time it's really important to make sure the camera has good noise performance. Granted, noise reduction algorithms can help, but - as with focus - you're always better off getting the highest possible quality in the first instance.

Finally, don't forget that whatever equipment you may or may not have, image composition is key. I know I have made (and published) many badly composed images but the basic rules of composition work just the same whether you're working with paint, pencils, photography or thermography. 

I know I've rambled on, and I'm sure many others will be able to add their wisdom in far fewer words. But if anyone wants to discuss thermal photography privately, I'm happy to do so via PM and thence email.

it is a little tricky...
I am using my Therm-App HZ and of course Therm-App-Plus and Therm-Viewer - I have started using Therm-Viewer's super resolution options but the photos seem to be doubled in size simply, and a bit blurry(probably my fault)- what other techniques can  I do?

I take it I should try messing around in Photoshop - I have so far only used Microsofts image composite editor for panoramas- but i presume that would work for what you callshaky hand techniques- which I am guessing is multiple photos of something- combined.....

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #177 on: June 01, 2018, 12:30:56 pm »
Subject:small cirquit boards
Camera: Seek Pro FF [IOS]
Lens: Seek native
Image manipulation: non, just a screen-run from Ipad's own screen'recorder feature, YT-uploaded without any thirdparty enhancement
Camera mods: el cheapo DIY 8 USD. ZnSE lens, 12mm / FL 50mm.

Thermal-noob on a budget.     :scared:
290 USD Seek pro + DIY 8USD ZNSE Lens. (I do Think the result is decent at sub 300 USD budget, but could certainly also use a lightning extension cord and adjustable stand' as the focal depth is very hysteric when handheld and mounted directly on the Ipad.,.

-----------
------------
Item/chip in the footage.[M.2 sata3 to USB3 SSD adapter]

Items.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 01:35:43 pm by DaneLaw »

The following users thanked this post: carpin, Platonas, ThermallyFrigid

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #178 on: June 07, 2018, 11:56:18 pm »
Subject:cirquit board
Lens: Seek native.
Camera mods: el cheapo DIY 8 USD. ZnSE lens, 12mm / FL 50mm.

Some thermal makro shots from an adjustable electronic-load ' the chip in question is highlighted below..
Pictures 78watt load from a voltage-adjustable power bank and second run is with two li'ion batteries under +20Amp load (Green Sony VTC4 and Brown LG HG2)

« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 04:11:38 am by DaneLaw »

The following users thanked this post: ThermallyFrigid

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #179 on: June 08, 2018, 12:17:54 pm »
These were some quickies while playing around tonight after resolution upgrade.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 10:07:22 pm by eKretz »

The following users thanked this post: DaneLaw

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #180 on: June 10, 2018, 03:43:40 am »
Couple more attempts after some experimentation with upscaling.

First set actually has 3 rabbits - you can make out the third one just a bit if you know it's there in the foliage just under the '2' in 62.2. Second set is people hanging out in a huge field across the street from my house. They're about 200 -300 yards (meters) away.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 03:47:45 am by eKretz »

Offline Spirit532

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #181 on: June 10, 2018, 03:59:55 am »
You shouldn't be upscaling the compressed preview JPEGs - the camera packs a fully raw(uncompressed) 16-bit image into the JPEG. You can extract that and work with it instead.
Though I am releasing a hack that will let you force the JPEG quality to 100% in-camera soon, among other things(like short video bursts).

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #182 on: June 10, 2018, 04:34:21 am »
Interesting, will look into that.

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #183 on: June 11, 2018, 12:22:31 am »
Great pictures eKretz and congrats with your E40 and finalising the upgrade hack.
---
Subject:Miscellaneous items (toyfrog from freezeer / old laptop / soldering iron / Liion batteries /  potatoes and chickenbreast out of the owen)
Camera mods: None, all native  480x640 though the ones in higher res then 640x480 that have been upscalled thrue that free online tool waifu2x. which figured in a previus page to just check any pro or con result of that online tool...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 12:33:21 am by DaneLaw »

The following users thanked this post: frenky

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #184 on: July 01, 2018, 07:59:59 am »
I was out in the yard messing around and next thing I know this gal walked right past me.  I had the digital zoom up a bit too high and didn't have time to set it back,  but it's definitely recognizable.

Offline ThermoDude

• Contributor
« Reply #185 on: July 02, 2018, 06:51:59 am »
Came across this video on YouTube. Really nice resolution of the Therm-App 640!

Offline carpin

• Contributor
« Reply #186 on: July 04, 2018, 12:21:27 pm »
Camera: Xtherm T3S
Resolution: 384 x 288
Frame rate: 25Hz
Lens: 13mm
Photo unedited

Smartphone: Xiaomi Mi A1 Androidone
Stock Android 7.1 8.0 8.1
USB: Type-C

Software: Xtherm and ThermViewer
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 05:32:46 pm by carpin »

The following users thanked this post: DaneLaw

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #187 on: July 04, 2018, 07:56:52 pm »
Very interesting carpin..I have had an eye on this new player.
and there is close to no examples online.(likely simply to new)
If you have the ability to put up some more examples, video, pictures and just overall how it stacks up in regards to it nearest competitors like the basic Therm app & Therm expert with also 110k res.
Whats your impression sofare? if you have the chance to make a review or a walk'thru, fx in a new thread or perhaps Xtherm thread would also be very informative for me, and not least of you have first-hand knowledge about its main alternatives and able to compare it...
Congrats with you Xtherm..

---

Came across this video on YouTube. Really nice resolution of the Therm-App 640!
Looks very impressive' how it picks up just brief bed-touches and still with surprisingly high details and that VGA res. damn ..
Got a passion for high powered laser diodes and all the physics behind and wondered are there any of these consumer thermal cams with a sensitivity there are able to sense in-air laserbeams to some extent..?

-----

Subject:cirquit LED board with numerous on/off to sense heat and energy/current behaviour.
Camera mods: Makro DIY 8 USD. ZnSE lens, 12mm / FL 50mm.
Fitted on a el'cheapo-microscope-stand. as the focal depth is very hysteric and makes focus-adjustment a lot easier. (picturized)

« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 10:30:36 pm by DaneLaw »

The following users thanked this post: carpin

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #188 on: July 04, 2018, 10:50:00 pm »
Thanks Xtherm looks good... But I want that full review - and pricing/availability information. Competition is great for the consumer.

I don't think you will be able to see a laser midair. You would have to see the heat difference between air molecules or relfctions of that, but wavelengths of laser and LWIR are much larger then those molecules, so unlikely.
You can use alder to heat up a spot or a whole object and see how it transfers heat into itself, I think Ultrapurple did some Experiments with hobby lasers, you can find it on Flickr.
Because this is a gallery, every post should contain an image - I like the idea.
Camera: CAT S60 with ThermalCamera+
Subject 1: Sony RX100M4 on a Manfrotto befree live shooting long exposure of the clear night sky
Subject 2: clouds in greyscale during a cold night for a shitposts on the astrophotography subreddit(not done yet as I need to find a proper way to downscale those to 1:1 pixel size for processing)
I spent a lot of time shooting and editing visible stills in the last few weeks, but I will pickup my thermal camera a little more on interesting subjects and try to find some stories to tell - potentionally with a combination of thermal and visible.

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #189 on: July 04, 2018, 11:42:57 pm »
Useally dust particles the laserbeam interact with and makes them visible and it was this interaction.
But even if these dustparticles are pretty big in regards something like molecules. I would reckon you still need a sensitivity able to sense this heat-energy of massless partcles interact with these dust particles. .

You can actually see these 5 to 7watt blue wavelength beams and the energy/heat messing up the dust-particles.. .
and was wondering if third-party interactions like , dust, fog, foam etc could help on the matter.
But need to try it out, but a Seek pro is certainly not the most sensitive thermal cam on the market  :palm: when it comes to small heat differences and like fx 5w 465nm laser beam interacting with dust particles in air..
but likely need to try and error.. just a noob on thermal sensors and the risk of hurting these and usually optic-cam-sensors and high powered-laser beams are not friends..
These intense beams and this bright intense light loves tumbling the optic cam-sensors at angled recordings.. how it is with thermal-cams sensors. I don't know if this intense light (offcourse not direct) can hurt these thermal-sensors.
--
Seek pro FF [IOS].
All Native with just the Seek pro..
First two a new water heater from phllips..
 plus an old pavillion laptop and a metal PSU.
+ // a DIY el cheapo-beam rack
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 01:01:01 am by DaneLaw »

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #190 on: July 05, 2018, 12:36:59 am »
Hm, those lasers are more powerful then I thought. If you have the possibility to try a scientific camera that is cooked and works in MWIR... But I don't believe even Dusty air is a medium good enough to visualize the beam. My knowledge in lasers is not dry deep, and I am sure it's dangerous to work wit gasses that heat up fast enough to show on a thermal camera.
The basic rules is that you can only image something with a thermal camera that is able to have a shadow in visible light. Which isn't true. But every matter in the universe that has a temperature of more then 0K(so the whole universe) is emitting IR radiation that can be detected.

It's late, but I would be excited to see this. 
3D printer at work;
spider(the darker dot) in a cobweb (you can't see it);
Tram;
street scene;

Offline carpin

• Contributor
« Reply #191 on: July 05, 2018, 06:35:41 pm »
Part 2

Photo unedited

« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 06:52:55 pm by carpin »

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #192 on: July 08, 2018, 10:29:42 pm »
Few more shots playing around.

Offline Lionered

• Contributor
« Reply #193 on: July 09, 2018, 05:43:22 pm »
I enjoyed browsing the thread. I hope I'll be able to share a new photo one of these days. For sure, it might depict household stuff or nature for a good shot.

Offline carpin

• Contributor
« Reply #194 on: July 09, 2018, 06:41:51 pm »
part 3
Photo unedited

« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 07:19:45 pm by carpin »

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #195 on: July 12, 2018, 09:28:34 am »
Figured I'd throw a couple fridge pics in for comparison since those were posted above.  And one that looked neat of tree branch reflection in the car windshield. These are from my upgraded e40:

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 09:36:47 am by eKretz »

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #196 on: July 12, 2018, 10:06:09 am »
Also, definitely recommend getting that RAW data for photos. Major difference. Here is the exact same photo twice - first as it comes out of the camera and up-rezzed to 640x480. Next by pulling the RAW data and up-rezzing that to 640x480.

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #197 on: July 17, 2018, 04:46:15 am »
Here's another example of what can be achieved with the RAW image and a little work. The first picture is the original image from the camera, the second is the same exact photo except it's the RAW image extracted then cropped and zoomed with a fine-tuning in Photoshop. There is a whole lot of detail there that I never would have guessed could be pulled out.

Edited: to make both images same size.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 04:55:26 am by eKretz »

Offline joe-c

• Frequent Contributor
    • Joe-c.de
« Reply #198 on: July 17, 2018, 08:47:33 pm »
Subject: barbecue grill and garden house.
Camera: Flir E40bx enhanced
Lens: Flir Ex native.
Camera mods: Resolution Update and some mods on digital filter
Image mods: all Interpolated to VGA, the both below additional with sharpen.

Freeware Thermal Analysis Software: ThermoVision_Joe-C
Some Thermal cameras: Kameras

The following users thanked this post: carpin, cuda12, DaneLaw

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #199 on: July 19, 2018, 07:59:46 pm »
Subject: Test shots Our cat & LED RGB ribbon.
Lens: Seek native
Image manipulation: non in regards to enhancement, just GIF<pictureembedded in an app [GIFplay]
Source: Pictures only < GIF.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 03:52:07 pm by DaneLaw »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf