Author Topic: unkown output on a vidicon camera  (Read 1623 times)

Offline deformeTopic starter

unkown output on a vidicon camera
« on: February 24, 2018, 07:35:26 am »
hello,

i have no idea what this output can be, i'm attaching its picture.

Offline Spirit532

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
Re: unkown output on a vidicon camera
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 11:08:50 am »
Looks like a controller connection, no direct video.
Without more information it's unlikely anyone will be able to help, if at all.

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 11:31:56 am »
If you can show what is on the other side then we might at least be able to say where in the Vidicon drive / processing your box stops.

There's a certain amount (scanning, tube controls, head amplifier) that would not remote very well whereas a good proportion of the power supply and final image to video could.
As said, without a part number it is pretty much impossible to sy what each pin is.

regards
Bill

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 12:38:08 pm »
It was quite common to design the camera with a separate head and separate control unit. The head would have the imaging tube (vidicon or whatever) and the lens and deflection yoke, etc. But then the remainder of the electronic circuits would be located back in the control unit.  A multi-pin connector like that is a prime indicator of a camera product with separate units for the camera head and separate control unit.

Alas, without the mating control box and interconnecting cable, that camera head is probably non-functional by itself.

Addendum:  That looks more like somebody's DIY project than a commercial product.  It would have helped to see other views, especially inside.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 05:57:58 pm by Richard Crowley »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 01:41:21 pm »
With such questions it is essential to provide us with as much information as possible. You have posted in the thermal imaging sub forum so I am assuming this is a Pevicon thermal camera ?

We need to see the outside views on all sides, any identification plate (serial number can be obscured) and interior views if it is possible to remove the lid. Without this, it is just a mystery black box with a connector.

If any history is know that also helps. Examples are ... it was used in an XYZ production plant, it was bought as military surplus, it came off a plane etc.

As others have stated, an imaging head often contains the essential scanning and image amplification stages, it may need quite a lot of additional electronics in a controller to drive the head. Alternatively, it could be like my military cameras, a self contained autonomous camera head that communicates with a central 'server' and such a camera can often be converted to stand alone operation.

Fraser
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 01:45:08 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 01:47:33 pm »
I also see that you are likely an ebay seller (the labels in English on the ruler) If you get items like this in for sale I would be interested in seeing your auctions. Feel free to PM me your 'shop' details  :)

Fraser
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 01:52:30 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 11:53:06 pm »

Addendum:  That looks more like somebody's DIY project than a commercial product.  It would have helped to see other views, especially inside.

The commercial products looked like that back then...................
http://www.fire-tics.co.uk/4221+4228.htm
http://www.fire-tics.co.uk/datasheets/P4200_datasheet.pdf

and that apparently was after 3 iterations to tidy it up to just be power supply + camera.
Alas I did not find any pictures of the even earlier cameras.

regards

Bill

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 12:24:51 am »
 It was normal practice with Broadcast TV cameras to have a "Camera Control Unit "

This was used by a "CCU Operator" to control video black level , lens aperture ( which in turn controls white level), etc, a process commonly referred  to as "riding the levels", leaving the Camera Operator to look after
Focus, zoom, & actually pointing the camera.
Some CCUs had an "auto" function, but it was pretty useless, especially in Outside Broadcast use.

This wasn't only the case with studio style cameras----Telecine chains also had  CCUs, although quite a bit less complex.

Early Non Broadcast stuff still followed the same basic setup, but normally using an automatic CCU.

That said, small, cheapish standalone vidicon CCTV cameras were available in the early 1960s.
They were a bit cruddy, though!

PS---not sure about thermal cameras.
I remember seeing them in articles in Electronics magazines, but can't remember any details.
My guess is that they would have  the same set up as the Industrial CCTV of the era, with just the vidicon optimised for thermal response.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 12:32:08 am by vk6zgo »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf