Author Topic: Upgrading to Lepton 3?  (Read 2371 times)

Offline VipitisTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
Upgrading to Lepton 3?
« on: June 21, 2017, 10:15:54 pm »
I am about to RMA my phone for some issues with probably a bad solder with the battery.

I wanted to ask if it would be possible to replace my Lepton sensor as well as mine has some kind of damage in the center where it is incorrect.

I was thinking about upgrading to a LEPTON3 at that point.

On some document I found Flir said the interface is identical and same socket is used.... At draws less power - but it slightly bigger.

Do you think it is possible at all or just a stupid question to ask - if they refuse to do it, could it be done as a manual mod in some ways (software could be an issue I don't want to think about at all).

My phone is a CAT S60.

Thanks for your input

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: Upgrading to Lepton 3?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 10:32:20 pm »
Whilst the LEPTON 2 and LEPTON 3 share the same socket and connectivity, the data output differs in that sections of the LEPTON 3 image are sent in separate data packets and need reconstructing into a complete image. The LEPTON 2 does not need to do this due to the lower resolution image.

If the phones firmware has not been written for the LEPTON 3, it will not be able to reconstruct the image. It is unlikely that just fitting a LEPTON 3 will work in your phone. FLIR / CAT do not offer such upgrades either.

Fraser
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 10:38:03 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline sam1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 06:55:47 pm »
80x60 is indeed not enough, let's wait for S80 to have lepton3 and higher RAM.

Offline VipitisTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 06:19:47 am »
Yeah,

I sent Bullit Group an email and they confirmed, no current plans for a new phone with LEPTON3, and it won't fit the S60 PCB.

I can't share their full email, it got like 3 disclaimers saying it is confidential - but emailing them for other questions is possible.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf