Author Topic: Amiga 500 turn up adventure after over 20 years  (Read 3150 times)

Offline jcrubinTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Technocoma
Amiga 500 turn up adventure after over 20 years
« on: April 02, 2018, 11:33:23 pm »
PART I

To start off I go through the Amiga 500 power supply before attempting to apply power to it.  More importantly, before attempting to connect it to the Amiga.  This is not an overly complicated power supply though worth noting the interesting capacitors soldered to the bottom of the board upon opening.

Gotta love linear.... No noise, keeps the feet warm.

The only real source of failure were the electrolytic capacitors, so a comprehensive testing of the caps were accomplished.  The resistors tested fine.  Yeah we can see one bad cap was a false alarm, but thats ok, better safe than sorry.  But the fact that even one bad cap was found made the project worth it.

I took the bad one and tried to reform it to see if it would improve the ESR, and it made it worse, cap was replaced.

PART II

Continuing on from the power supply repair its time to turn up this computer and ensure that it is operating properly.  This started with an inventory of the system as found, though not 100% familiar with the components I work my way through it along with some research.  This includes a ram expansion, real time clock and 68030 accelerator.

The inter-operability challenge was the monitor going from RGB to HDMI, so I went with the RGB to SCART to HDMI converter which worked very nicely in the modes that I required.  Luckily I have some disks to include workbench boot disks to get the computer going.  This allowed for checking out aspect ratio and sharpness of the picture and clarity.  An IFF close up also displayed the picture quality as well. 

A further exercise was conducted to move disk images from the internet to the Amiga using the serial port and the process that I used to accomplish the task without any hardware purchases using Hombre, transwarp and a linux box.

TO BE CONTINUED

CVM CATAPVLTAE PROSCRIPTAE ERVNT TVM SOLI PROSCRIPTI CATAPVLTAS HABEBVNT

https://www.youtube.com/c/jordanrubin6502

The following users thanked this post: Shock, dcac, Bruce Abbott

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
Re: Amiga 500 turn up adventure after over 20 years
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 07:34:56 am »
Nicely made videos, good stuff.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

The following users thanked this post: Conrad Larsen

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 05:27:41 am »
Not going to watch the videos. They are probably good, but I’ve done enough of these that I don’t fancy watching someone else on video :D

But.. did you just say you tired to reform a capacitor?
Nobody who collects these are trying so hard to maintain originality to that extent :D
All of the SMD versions have capacitors spewing their guts over the board, and there really is no choice.

Offline jcrubinTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Technocoma
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 04:00:46 am »
In keeping with an opportunity for experimentation aside from the amiga project itself, I wanted to see how reformation would effect the baseline ESR captured on the offending CAP over time.
CVM CATAPVLTAE PROSCRIPTAE ERVNT TVM SOLI PROSCRIPTI CATAPVLTAS HABEBVNT

https://www.youtube.com/c/jordanrubin6502

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 04:09:22 pm »
Yeah ok. It can be possible to wake the dead. Even for caps far older than that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf