Author Topic: Cleaning old I/O connectors (Vintage Computers)  (Read 4971 times)

n45048

Cleaning old I/O connectors (Vintage Computers)
« on: December 07, 2014, 04:49:48 am »
So, I have an ever-growing collection of old computers and one thing I've been putting off doing while repairing/refurbishing them is cleaning up the connectors.

I tried once with some isopropyl alcohol and some DeoxIT D100 and it didn't really seem to be that effective.

Attached is an example. The connectors are very dull with what looks like maybe some kind of surface corrosion. This is common on all my old stuff. Nothing is rusted, just "old" looking.

I'd like to keep the machines as original as possible so I don't really want to go replacing components unless they absolutely need to be. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can clean these up a bit?

Moving slightly off-topic but if anyone is curious, so far my collection consists of:

Apple IIe
Apple Macintosh Classic
Apple Macintosh SE FDHD
Apple Macintosh LC575
Apple Power Macintosh 7600/200
Amstrad PC1512DD
Amstrad NC100
Commodore 64
Atari 1040ST
IBM PS/2 Model 30 (8530-E21)
IBM PC 286, 386, 486 & Pentium clones
Toshiba 440CDX laptop
Nintendo Game Boy (Original model)
Various Compaq/HP PocketPC's

I'm actually not a fan of modern Apple products (I'm a Windows/Android (PrivatOS) user).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 05:14:15 am by Halon »

Online IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
Re: Cleaning old I/O connectors (Vintage Computers)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 05:29:54 am »
Try using a solution of ammonia or a commercial cleaner based on ammonia and rinse in Isopropyl alcohol.

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 05:43:04 am »
Weak acid may help.  Test some vinegar/coke on it or something of similar metallic condition.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 05:59:32 am »
Take out of case, and scrub with a toothbrush using some talcum powder ( or powdered chalk) in water with a drop of liquid detergent in it. Then wash with more water and a clean toothbrush until clean. Dry with a soft cloth and gentle heating from a hair dryer set on low. Inside the connectors use some pipe cleaners ( yes they are still available) to remove all the gunk, and they will come out shiny and clean. Then use the Deoxit to preserve the clean surface.

I had to buy a 25kg bag of the fine scouring powder, it was quite cheap. It is used as a thickener in your kitchen ammoniated scouring liquids.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 03:29:20 pm »
Tooth paste is very good as it contains a fine abrasive, then rinse well with water and alchohol.

Offline cowasaki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 12:53:10 am »
Iso-propyl alcohol and stick swabs and if that doesn't work its going to be either abrasion or chemistry!  I've used wire wool and then the compressor followed by IPA and the compressor again.

Offline woodchips

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 06:00:57 pm »
If they are gold plated then don't! The plating is so thin that abrasive of any kind will rub it off, then you have problems.

The following users thanked this post: leisergeist

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 07:03:53 pm »
That's all new stuff :)

People repairing old test equipment use Caig DeOxit once gross crud has been removed. There are different versions for generic metal connections, gold plated connections, and carbon connections (i.e. pots). I make no comment about any significant differences between those variants.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline dave_k

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 11:08:58 pm »
The connectors in the photo aren't that unique .. why not just replace them with new ones?

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 07:53:31 am »
as long as they are not gold plated, fiberglass pencils work really well getting corrosion off if your careful with them

Offline cvanc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 03:36:32 pm »
as long as they are not gold plated, fiberglass pencils work really well getting corrosion off if your careful with them

Lots of good suggestions in this thread but I want to +1 the fiberglass pencils.  I just started using them about a year ago and find them quite effective.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 06:54:58 pm »
spray contact-cleaner / switch-cleaner onto a tissue and rub the sockets.
it coats them with a fine oil so they stay shiny.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 09:12:15 pm »

Lots of good suggestions in this thread but I want to +1 the fiberglass pencils.  I just started using them about a year ago and find them quite effective.

Good suggestion and something I hadn't thought of myself.  :-+

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 09:32:30 pm »
For inside connectors and tiny spaces I use the inter tooth spacing cleaners you can buy in very different sizes. I have no idea about the english name for these but they are available in straight and 45 degrees bent versions.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf