Author Topic: Commodore 64 works after 10 years sitting outside  (Read 3198 times)

Offline BudTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Commodore 64 works after 10 years sitting outside
« on: October 13, 2018, 07:14:20 am »
The guy goes speechless as totally rusty Commodore comes alive after 10 years in the field  :-+

Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
Re: Commodore 64 works after 10 years sitting outside
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 08:47:19 am »
Big, chunky trace computers with mostly through-hole components, and a rock solid design tend to be incredibly resilient to all sorts of havoc, and also incredibly easy to repair, unlike modern computers where there are thousands of traces, and thousands of fragile surface mount components, the damaging of any one of which could definitely result in the board being broken, and difficult to repair without the right experience or tools.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 09:43:01 am »
The C64 was to cheap to use tantalum caps  :-DD
It also was a time before low ESR caps got popular so it was from before the time of the early short shelf life low ESR caps.
Another point is no lead free solder and mask ROM - so no EEPROM to loose it's content.

There still is a chance the power-supply might fail if stared. So I would first run the supply on it's own and check the voltage (AFAIR its only 5 V regulated + some 9 V AC).

It is odd the C64 was in storage for only 10 years - I haven't used it for more like 20-25 years.

I would not call the design rock solid - the signal supposedly contained quite some glitches, so that using fast chips for the logic could be a problem. The RESTORE key was dodgy from the beginning (needed to hit it hard to make it "work" by bouncing enough), but rarely used.  Arguably this was a feature and not a bug.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 11:02:03 am »
This wasn't 10 years in storage, this was 10 years outside. I don't even think it had a power supply with it.

I'm saying the manufacturing technology is very chunky compared to modern systems. I have motherboards from 2004 that have absolutely no signs of any issue whatsoever, look pristine, but just don't work in the slightest, and I bet you nothing consumer made in the last 14 years could survive this easily.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 11:08:40 am »

I would not call the design rock solid - the signal supposedly contained quite some glitches, so that using fast chips for the logic could be a problem. The RESTORE key was dodgy from the beginning (needed to hit it hard to make it "work" by bouncing enough), but rarely used.  Arguably this was a feature and not a bug.

1) Like any two-layer design.
2) http://www.breadbox64.com/blog/c64-restore-mod/
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline pamperchu

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 03:59:40 pm »
alot of modern computers are just as good at that sort of thing, dishwasher safe too...

Offline TheEPROM9

• Frequent Contributor
  • I have a Kali USB and I'm not afraid to use it!
    • EPROM 9 Home
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 12:37:16 am »
Even when the rock solid design was unitentional, even cheap 80s tech achived it. Just try the same with a modern equiverlent computer & it probaly would not suvive the first week. & a mac would not suvive the first hour.

Also a bouns you don't need 100s to 1000s in tooling to repair these machines, simple soldering setup, analog scope & a mutimeter. No microscopes or BGA rework stations. None of that bull. Plus it ain't glued together. I hate how modern stuff is designed to fail & be bined within its first year of life.

Service manuals & detailed board info is easily avalible. Name one consumer prodact that offers that these days. (Pi's & such are not desgned for your average consumer  ;))
TheEPROM9 (The Husky Hunter Collectors inc.)
Knowledge should be sheared freely to those who want it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/146977913@N06/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4vOnjz1G-aM8LddSbrK1Vg https://www.facebook.com/groups/118910608126229/

The following users thanked this post: Ampera

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 08:11:08 pm »
alot of modern computers are just as good at that sort of thing, dishwasher safe too...

Like what? I'm sure there are special built computers that can brave this sort of thing, maybe, but it wouldn't be a simple, clean and spiff up a couple of bits repair job.

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 12:22:08 am »
Commodore comes alive after 10 years
Yeah...old stuff still works...it's new stuff that lasts right about the warranty duration (sometimes less).
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline BudTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 01:44:45 am »

My friend must be kidding. Apple fears moisture like hell. Why do you think they put water damage indicators all over. My son's 2 min swimming with iPod in his pocket destroyed the device in no time.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf