Author Topic: Latest vintage computing ebay scores  (Read 12352 times)

Offline djos

• Supporter
Re: Latest vintage computing ebay scores
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2017, 01:00:03 am »
I bagged an Apple 3.5in External Floppy Drive (Model A9M0106) on ebay last night for $51 AUD - it'll make restoring my Mac SE a ton easier as 800k disks are a PITA to use, you can barely fit the System 6 on a single floppy with no room for anything else. This will allow me to put utils onto a second disk and avoid disk swap hell while trying to get my SCSI-SD HDD working.

I kinda feel sorry for the 2 folks I was bidding against, I sniped the hell out of them with a max bid limit of $100 AUD with 2 seconds to go (yeah I really really wanted it).  :-DD

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2017, 01:54:11 am »
For some reason I was thinking the SE had an internal high density floppy drive? Maybe that was a later edition of it? I know my SE/30 has an internal superdrive but that came out a bit later and was a high end machine at the time. That stuff was scary expensive back in the day.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2017, 02:21:47 am »
For some reason I was thinking the SE had an internal high density floppy drive? Maybe that was a later edition of it? I know my SE/30 has an internal superdrive but that came out a bit later and was a high end machine at the time. That stuff was scary expensive back in the day.

Mine is the 800k 20 MB HD version, I think there was an FDHD version that had the high density drive and there was even an apple upgrade kit which included a new controller chip and HD drive. The upgrade kit is like hens teeth these days.

The 30 definitely had the HD drive standard tho.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2017, 08:01:31 pm »
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/RARE-Commodore-CBM-2031-IEEE-Drive-TESTED-and-WORKING-With-BOX-Nice/253289213006?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

sigh.... I've been wanting something huge, ancient, angular, ugly, and slow for a while now. It'll go well with my PET4032 that can't be powered up for more than 10 seconds at a time.  :palm:
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2017, 08:21:36 pm »
Ah, yes the FDHD, that's what the one I had was, I sold it a few years ago when I was pruning the collection since I had the SE/30 too.

An interesting tidbit about the SE/30, it broke the previous naming convention for 68030 based Macs, apparently Apple was not keen on selling a computer called the SEx.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 10:49:18 pm by james_s »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2017, 09:41:04 pm »
Heh, doesn't phase Tesla — S3X — with the next model supposedly to be the Y.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2017, 08:55:25 pm »
My "untested as is" 800k external drive arrived yesterday, I gave it a good clean with windex, then ran my floppy head cleaner thru it a few times and then threw a bunch of floppies at it .... it works perfectly so Im a very happy boy right now! Added bonus, this drive looks right with the SE styling despite being designed primarily for the II GS.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2017, 09:25:32 pm »
Added bonus, this drive looks right with the SE styling despite being designed primarily for the II GS.

And they have even turned yellow/brown to the same extent!  :)

Seriously though, you can't bank on that, if one unit has seen a lot of sunlight and the other has been sitting in a shady spot. (Or is the yellowing mainly due to the light conditons in the picture in this case?)

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2017, 10:03:42 pm »
Added bonus, this drive looks right with the SE styling despite being designed primarily for the II GS.

And they have even turned yellow/brown to the same extent!  :)

Seriously though, you can't bank on that, if one unit has seen a lot of sunlight and the other has been sitting in a shady spot. (Or is the yellowing mainly due to the light conditons in the picture in this case?)

It's ultimately heat that brings the fire retardant to the surface, I had 2 Amiga 500's in storage, in  sealed boxes, during a 40c+ heat wave and they both yellowed badly.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2017, 11:37:56 pm »
Heat or UV will both do it. UV definitely plays a part though because I've had equipment that had a sticker on it that created a very clear shadow in the yellowing.

Fortunately there are ways to reverse this to some extent. Mix some hydrogen peroxide with a bit of Oxy clean in a spray bottle, set the case out in the sun on a clear summer day and spray it down with the mixture. Keep misting it periodically to keep it wet and you'll be able to watch the yellowing vanish right before your eyes. Within about 15 minutes it should be substantially improved, that's what I did with my SE/30. Don't overdo it or the plastic will take on a chalky appearance that you can't fully recover. It will never be quite as light as it was originally but you can make it look WAY better than it was. 

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2017, 12:20:21 am »
Heat or UV will both do it. UV definitely plays a part though because I've had equipment that had a sticker on it that created a very clear shadow in the yellowing.

Fortunately there are ways to reverse this to some extent. Mix some hydrogen peroxide with a bit of Oxy clean in a spray bottle, set the case out in the sun on a clear summer day and spray it down with the mixture. Keep misting it periodically to keep it wet and you'll be able to watch the yellowing vanish right before your eyes. Within about 15 minutes it should be substantially improved, that's what I did with my SE/30. Don't overdo it or the plastic will take on a chalky appearance that you can't fully recover. It will never be quite as light as it was originally but you can make it look WAY better than it was.

UV generates surface heat which causes the fire retardant to rise to the surface.

Retr0brighting is pretty easy, you dont need sun at all, heat is all you need.

for small stuff like keys I now use the stove top method

https://youtu.be/qZYbchvSUDY

and for big stuff I put the items in a clear plastic tub covered with glad wrap - I use the Vanish Napisan Oxi Action for both methods as it's great at dissolving any surface oils or nicotine etc that may be on the plastic and gives a nice splotch free finish. I do dilute it a bit eg 50/50.

Offline warp_foo

• Supporter
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2018, 12:12:21 am »
Kaypro II from 1983
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 12:14:04 am by warp_foo »
Where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2018, 12:51:31 am »
Very Nice! I assume it's a CP/M machine?

Offline milbourne

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2018, 11:41:09 am »
Hello. I also have one of these drives and wondered if you had managed to progress with testing it. I would be interested in understanding what you may have done with it - e.g. PSUs, cables, manuals, software, controllers, etc.

Cheers, Ross

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2018, 01:45:03 am »
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/GOLD-CERAMIC-NEC-D41256D-DRAM-256Kx1-120ns-Memory-USED-PULLS/112836024695?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Let's face it, ceramic/gold ICs scream vintage high end gear. Yeah? I hope so... I'm stuffing these into a Commodore 64 RAM expansion. AFAIK, they actually never used CERDIPs, they were all using plastic packages by then. So I'm not period correct, but it makes me happy!
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2018, 03:14:29 am »
Bought a refurbished Tandy Model 4P to add to the museum:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TRS-80-Model-4P-/332529446405

Works very well.

Offline warp_foo

• Supporter
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2018, 11:33:22 pm »
Very Nice! I assume it's a CP/M machine?

Yep, CP/M.
Where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?

The following users thanked this post: djos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf