Author Topic: Cost Estimate  (Read 5385 times)

Offline AerialAgricultureTopic starter

Cost Estimate
« on: July 11, 2015, 01:55:07 am »
Hi everyone!  I would like to get some bids on an integrated circuit design.  Most of the hardware we are using is open source.  The system design includes 6 CCD, MCU,  Direct Memory Access,  GPS unit,  power regulation, clocks, accelerometers, compass, temperature, pressure, and SD card.  We have most everything bread boarded up.  We need an expert to look through the parts and reduce the BOM and produce gerber files for manufacture.   If your not interested but are familiar with pricing I would like to hear your opinion!

Thank You

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
Re: Cost Estimate
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 09:08:39 pm »
Look on freelancer website, I expect some Indian will do it for next to nothing for you, they outbid everyone, ideal place if you want something done, but not very good if you are looking for work!

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 10:31:57 pm »
Look on freelancer website, I expect some Indian will do it for next to nothing for you, they outbid everyone, ideal place if you want something done, but not very good if you are looking for work!

As one Indian manager from Bangalore pointed out to me, "you must remember that Hindus specifically believe in miracles" :(
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 01:11:22 am »
Your spec documents have to be in plain English - and very accurate.

The indies can be good at what they do, but are not always as good at guessing what you want between the details - and if they are free to insert their own ideas, your budget will explode with reviews and rework.

After choosing a developer, make sure there's a good clear channel in your preferred language - directly to the dev team.
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 07:31:11 am »
Your spec documents have to be in plain English - and very accurate.
And unambiguous and incapable of misinterpretation by someone that doesn't understand UAVs, agriculture, your business constraints etc. Very difficult, and in every project I've seen things do crawl out of the woodwork and have to be decided during the project.

Before placing the contract, you will have to convince yourselves that they do understand what you want/need, and can deliver within price/timescales.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 10:25:08 pm »
The trick is to look for positive reviews from non Indian buyers of their services :)

There is a lot of good engineers in India, believe it or not, and while there are some ambiguous ones, you have to look at reviews and feedback.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf