Author Topic: Level of master graduation thesis vs work recruitment  (Read 12998 times)

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
Re: Level of master graduation thesis vs work recruitment
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2018, 06:07:34 pm »
HR = Human Resources.  Its not a department.    Its the humans.

You might be in the minority with that use of the term.
At least among those working in largish companies, HR = "the HR department".

(As in "Catbert, evil HR director".)  ;)
Humans don't call themselves resources. HR is specifically a dehumanising part of an organisation which does. There must be a few companies left in this world that still have a Personnel Department, where they actually deal with persons, but there aren't many.

The following users thanked this post: tggzzz

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2018, 06:08:28 pm »
HR = Human Resources.  Its not a department.    Its the humans.
"where HR completely blocks them" was what coppice's text that I was responding to.

If you are using "human resources" to mean "people", I don't agree with that use of terminology (I prefer to call them "people"), but I don't think we otherwise disagree: Hiring skilled technical people is the hardest part of most tech companies.

If I take your definition to coppice's text, it doesn't make sense, which suggests that coppice was using HR to mean the department:
Humans want to hire people with bachelor's degree but those same humans completely block them.

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2018, 08:15:51 pm »
So how many years full time study do you stay in University to get an M.E. in the countries where people typically get M.E. degrees?

In Australia, a standard BE. contains an extra (4th) year over a normal (BA. BSc. Etc...) bachelor's degree, so by default it includes an honours year where you do a thesis, etc. And you can't get a 3 year BE.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2018, 08:38:48 pm »
So how many years full time study do you stay in University to get an M.E. in the countries where people typically get M.E. degrees?

In Australia, a standard BE. contains an extra (4th) year over a normal (BA. BSc. Etc...) bachelor's degree, so by default it includes an honours year where you do a thesis, etc. And you can't get a 3 year BE.
Comparisons can't be exact, because some countries have a year more high school and a year less university than others. Some places are also changing between these approaches. e.g. Hong Kong used to have 7 years of high school and 3 years of university to get a bachelor degree, following the UK model. Now they have 6 years of high school and 4 years of university to get a bachelor degree, similar to Australia. A master's course is usually one more year.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2018, 09:06:27 pm »

Comparisons can't be exact, because some countries have a year more high school and a year less university than others. Some places are also changing between these approaches. e.g. Hong Kong used to have 7 years of high school and 3 years of university to get a bachelor degree, following the UK model. Now they have 6 years of high school and 4 years of university to get a bachelor degree, similar to Australia. A master's course is usually one more year.

in NZ, BE is four years, Masters is 6 years, and PHD woudl be 7-8 years.
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline hv222Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2018, 10:03:24 pm »
I was discussed about themes with mentor. Both are matching with master degree requirements. I create this topic to get know how is it with recruitment abroad. I heard that master is obligatory in Western Europe. Maybe not to get a job, but too be promoted or not to be degraded after few years and to have higher salary. I was checking internships in the USA, but many big companies require to be maximum half year after master or PhD graduation and with 3 or more years of work experience. Here in Poland it is easier to starts master studies just after bachelor graduation due to free studies and students benefits limited by age. I'm on full-time study's so even with working while studying it's hard to collect few years working experience, so I need to impress in other way. However I also have some job experience.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2018, 04:41:37 pm »

Over here, it's a 5-year university degree, but our system is a bit more complex than this.
A master's degree used to be a 4-year degree here, and there was an additional year (5th) before you could start a PhD. They switched to a model to better match the rest of the world I guess, while still keeping the "5-year" barrier that recruiters have been used to, so now a master's degree is a 5-year degree basically. Additionally, engineering degrees here have a special status and are not master's degrees. They are 5-year degrees and are delivered in engineering schools.

Getting an engineering job without a master's degree here is close to impossible, unless you can prove you're qualified with a long experience. And even so, it's pretty tough. So most engineers not having a master's or engineering degree are experienced people that have gotten internal promotions.

Even a master's degree is not the best here as we have specific engineering degrees that are preferred by recruiters.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 04:43:28 pm by SiliconWizard »

Offline Clear as mud

• Regular Contributor
    • Pax Electronics
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2018, 11:55:50 am »
n the US, 2 years more to get a Master's over a Bachelor's, assuming you keep to a full-time college student schedule of 12 course hours per semester.  But the course requirements are quite a bit more difficult, and I didn't fully appreciate that until I was in the program, so I took much longer to complete it.  I got my Bachelors in physics from a school that didn't offer engineering or Master's degrees, then later went on to get an engineering degree.  I wanted another Bachelor's degree (but in Engineering instead of physics), but university staff advised me to get a Master's.  For a long time I have viewed that as bad advice.  Industry wants just a bachelor's degree, unless you want to do really mathematical theoretical things.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf