Author Topic: Part time job wanted in Schenectady/Albany area, NY  (Read 3626 times)

Offline AmperaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
Part time job wanted in Schenectady/Albany area, NY
« on: September 17, 2018, 04:22:56 pm »
Hello, my name is Konrad, and I live in the capitol region of New York, and am looking for anybody who might have a position or connection to help me out with a job.

I'm 16, and have recently finished home educated high school, passing NY's TASC (Similar to the GED) a little while ago. I also have 18 credits in college level math, ranging from Statistics to Calculus 2, and I currently hold a 3.95/4 GPA.

I am able to get papers that remove full time working restrictions, but I am unable to work full time as of the 2019 school semester, and am looking for some sort of part time position with flexible hours.

My skills include generic IT experience, largely for IBM PC compatible systems, with experience from the 486 platform up to modern times. I am fully capable of diagnosing and repairing various software and hardware issues.

I also possess some medium skills in Linux/Unix system management, having personal experience working specifically with the Arch Linux, and FreeBSD operating systems. I am capable of setting up and understanding a variety of environment specific software, and have a high tolerance for extensive troubleshooting.

I have some small experience programming with ANSI/Turbo C, C11, and Java SE.

Nearly all experience is personal, I am willing to prove myself, and show my ability to efficiently and properly expand my understanding of a wide variety of topics.

Thank you for any considerations, I am available here on the forum within personal messages and replies to this topic, on the EEVBlog IRC room on AfterNET under the username Ampera, and over email at konradkpersonal@gmail.com
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 03:10:48 am by Ampera »
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline Clear as mud

• Regular Contributor
    • Pax Electronics
Re: Part or full time job wanted in Schenectady/Albany area, NY
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 05:44:56 pm »
I'm looking for a job myself, so not really able to help you out there.

Are you interested in going to college at all?  Even if you're capable of the work, employers will hire the other candidate with a degree first.  I have a friend in that situation right now.  He's been working for the organization for a while, and applied for a different job with higher pay and more responsibility, but there's another candidate who also works alongside him, and the other guy has a degree and some relevant certifications.

It occurs to me that there should still be some sort of federal work-study program that will allow you to offset some of your college costs by working part-time, and you might be able to get a job at the computer helpdesk of whatever college you go to.  It's been years since I went to college, so forgive me if this stuff doesn't exist anymore, but there was also something called the Pell Grant, and other federal programs for low-interest loans.  The college I attended did all the applications for the grants and loans for me, so that was good.  It was Carleton College in Minnesota.

Offline AmperaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
Re: Part or full time job wanted in Schenectady/Albany area, NY
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 01:02:25 am »
I am of course going to college, I plan to next semester, but can't for the rest of the year due to the fact the state was very slow with getting me the diploma I need to enter state run colleges (and take advantage of New York's free college system). For now I am either looking for a full time job lasting until next semester, that could turn into something part time later on, or at least a part time job all around.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf