Author Topic: Where to start if I am new in Australia  (Read 8833 times)

Offline RobskiTopic starter

• Contributor
Where to start if I am new in Australia
« on: August 02, 2017, 03:10:12 am »
Hi, this is my first message on this forum so please, don't bite my head off.
My name is Robert, together with my wife we come from Poland and last 6 years we spent in England. Back then, Australia was so unreachable that I wasn't even thinking that I could live here.
Then EEVblog happened and Australia became an option, then a plan and now... we just landed in Brisbane with my Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189 (I have my Fluke 189 too  ;D )) and we absolutely love it!

I have a bachelor degree in Electronics Engineering and over 10 years of experience in servicing repairing designing and building control systems for industrial machines. And because it is my hobby, I also enjoy any other repairs on house equipment and cars for myself and friends.

I had a look at local job offers and as usual in this business, there's not a lot happening through the internet. I also consider working as a contractor for post warranty service repairs and automation service.

I need your advice on what to do and if you have a possibility to offer a job, I am more than happy to present my skills. I really miss the industrial environment and I am really curious what's going on in the industry in Brisbane area. Or maybe I should relocate?

Tell me guys what you think. I really appreciate any help.

Offline mairo

• Supporter
Re: Where to start if I am new in Australia
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 04:00:23 am »
Hi Robski,

It is not easy to find job in Australia when you do not have PR or citizenship and are not here sponsored already to work for someone. I said not easy, but it is not impossible, you just will have to try harder.

For such electronic repair jobs in Brisbane/QLD you can try knocking on the door of companies such as:
- HETECH - electronics contract manufacturer (there are also a few other small contract manufacturers in Brisbane);

- Cochlear - they have electronic design and assembly facility in Brisbane;

- Emerson, Yokogawa, Origin (the electrical supply company), Santos - these are all companies that are part (some suppliers of equipment, some owners of projects) of the large LNG projects in QLD - GLNG, APLNG and you may find that you may fit into some of theirs work - system level configuration and installation/service

- UQ, QUT, Griffit are all universities that teach  electronics/electrical disciplines, do research in these areas and because of this they may need someone with your capabilities;
- CSIRO & CRCMining are research centers in Brisbane that do a lot with control systems and electronics;

- There is also Boeing, Siemens and Philips that have/used to have research/design facilities in Brisbane. It might be more difficult for Boeing as they will most probably require a defense clearance..

Join the local IICA and IEEE branches and go to theirs talks, factory/site visits as this will give you chance to meet people.

Hope this helps

The following users thanked this post: Robski

Offline RobskiTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 09:57:51 am »
It has been just over two months and I am still looking for a job, however, my job hunting is a bit less efficient as I am working as an Auto Electrician in a small garage, doing 10-12 hour days.
I decided to obtain Queensland Electrical Licence and apart of that, I feel like I am doing just nothing towards my career simply because days just fly by so quick.
I moved home recently and started renting small property in Richlands. Bought a car, took it home and fixed its faults, done service and few extra gadgets to make it a bit more than just a Civic.

It's hard to start the life again but this country is well worth it. The only drawback is that I don't know anybody here.
Is there somebody in Brisbane area happy to meet for a beer?

Offline Vinny2

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 03:46:50 am »
Hi Robski

I'm hiring at the moment, just send me your contact details and we can have a chat about the project.

Regards

Vinny

Offline nicskynod

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 05:17:01 pm »
Hi I am looking technician for testing and repair in nw Sydney. Send a msg to nick@edaq.com and we may be able to help each other
Regards
Nick

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf